No appetite on food days and hardly any cravings

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
No appetite on food days and hardly any cravings

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Nature is Free 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi guys!

I’m in my fourth week of doing the 5:2, and it seems to be working (to my huge surprise!). I’ve been dieting and have had a negative body image since the age of 14. Basically, I’ve wasted 28 years of my life feeling bad about myself, yo-yo dieting and only gaining weight as a consequence…. No more of that!

I started the 5:2 after stumbling across Dr. Mosley’s documentary one night I was channel surfing. The arguments made a lot of sense to me, and I decided to give it a go. The first fast day was tough – I was starving (or craving? couldn’t really tell the difference) and had bad hunger pains that evening. But since then, things have gotten a lot easier. I try to only have a sensible dinner on fast days, no breakfast, lunch or snacks. All or nothing seems to work best for me, not constant grazing throughout the day (that is what brought me into this mess in the first place 🙂 ) I don’t really worry to much about counting calories either, because that leads me to become obsessive (been there, done that on other diets!) and overly focused on what I can’t have.

Now to the point of this post: over the past two weeks I’ve found that my appetite on food days is down considerably. I really do allow myself to eat what I want, but I find that I don’t want the foods I craved before. Go figure?!? I’ve had one incident of ordering a late night take-out pizza (small Italian), and I couldn’t even finish it. This weekend, I took my son (age 5) to the amusement park, and had a proper warm lunch (not fast food) in one of their restaurants. Before, I would finish my own food and then graze on what ever he left over (especially fries!). Now, I couldn’t even finish my own meal…. This is very weird to me – good, but weird.

Also, I don’t crave the things I used to crave any more. I’ve never been one for sodas and chocolate, but I loooooove savory stuff like pizza, fries, garlic bread, chips/crisps, etc. Now I crave crunchy, green apples and blueberries. And I can have as much as I like of that. Some food days I actually struggle to have three full, balanced “proper” meals, especially the days after fast days. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays, and on Sunday evenings – the third food day in a row – I’ve noticed that some of my old cravings seem to come sneaking back (but not remotely as strong as before). It’s like the fast days “reset” my appetite to normal, and then it takes a couple of days for my body to want to go back to it’s old ways.

I’m just absolutely blown away by this big change only a few weeks into eating according to the 5:2 plan.

Although I’m primarily doing this for medical reasons to see if it has any effect on blood sugar and hormones, I’ve also lost 2,5 kilos (almost 6 pounds) in three weeks. Yeay! I will keep on going, because this really seems to be working for me 🙂

Hello!

Like you…I stumbled across this (in a glossy). I have spent the last 25 years losing and then gaining back the same 25-30 pounds. Ridiculous, really. This is only my 4th day…and today is a non-fast day…but it is odd. Got up and fixed an extremely light breakfast instead of the 350-500 calorie extravaganza I would normally want…and feel completely satisfied. I am hoping that this is a way to re-set the unhealthy eating pattens. Not going to weigh in until I finish the first full week! Good luck to both of us 🙂

Good luck to you, too, Carla 🙂

I’m hoping this loss of appetite doesn’t go away, but I’m quite prepared to get into more difficult periods every now and then (like with all diets). The all-or-nothing approach on fast days work better for me than small low-cal snacks and meals, because I simply tell myself that nothing except tea and water will touch my lips until dinner time. If I have one low-cal biscuit or one fruit, it’s very easy to have the rest of the box, too – and that kinda defeats the purpose 😉

I’m amazed as well. I’ve been on the diet for four weeks and now don’t feel as hungry on feast days and not particularly hungry on fast days. Previously, when on Calorie controlled diets, I felt peckish all the time and had to use great willpower to prevent binging. Now I’ll eat two sandwiches for lunch and feel full. Maybe my fullness hormones are coming back. Fast days are no problem either. I even ate just one serving for Christmas lunch (instead of the usual three!) Can’t wait to see if there will be any happy surprises when I have my blood tests taken in a couple of months (I’m type 2 diabetic on diet/exercise only.

After the last few days of arguing with myself in my own head, this is really reassuring. Thank you for sharing your experience here – I hope I can report something similar once I dive in!

Best,
    -catinhat

I’m a couple of weeks into the fast diet and loving it so far. This topic caught my eye because after a couple of fast days my body / mind seemed to get a bit confused about eating, particularly on the day after a fasting day. I find fast days really easy but the next day I don’t know whether I want to eat or not! My partner joined me on the diet this week and she reports the same thing. It feels as if my relationship with food is being re-set, and that is no bad thing.

6lb off in my first week and 4lb off last week so a great start so far!

I am so pleased I found this. I thought it was just me. Only a week in, but I’m finding the same thing and I thought maybe I was ill!!!! My appetite has seriously reduced. I don’t want to eat the quantities or high fat stuff I used to. This is particularly true after fast days! I wake up thinking I will be starving, but actually end up ‘forcing’ some breakfast down. The days before a fast day, I feel I should ‘stock up’ in readiness. But, I can’t face it. Sure it’ll help the weight loss, but worried maybe this means the diet isn’t healthy for me. Should eating feel like an effort, all of the time? Or will it settle?

I just started Water Fasting since May 16, 2014 and as of today I’ve lost 30lbs, I am on and off, the max days on Water Fasting at the beginning was 6 days, then 5, then 3 and keep on 3 or someday 1 or 2. I’ve noticed that now when tried to eat as I used to eat, I get sick, very sick, mentally and physically. I love the way it feels to wear any clothes with no problems though I still have to loose 30 more lbs or least 20, I feel great. Today I don’t feel like eating though I eat yesterday, I lost my appetite, I am only being able to eat only one half meal of what I used to eat, I used to eat 3 or 4 full meal (double or triple serving per meal) plus lots of snack in between, now I can only eat once a day since not to long ago, I feel great, energetic, positive, happy and healthier than 30+ years ago. Today, I was not planning on water fasting today but I don’t feel like eating, I hope is not bad… I am still drinking lots of water, but I added apple cyder vinegar which I think is the one making feel satisfy (stomach full)… I’ll keep drinking in the mean time. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.