Newbie… PLEASE HELP

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Hi everyone, I’m new here and I know I’ll need support. I have a story like everyone else! I used to be a fitness instructor but had an accident, became unwell and I’m on various medications which have obliterated my metabolism and I’m unable to exercise. I have crept up to almost 13stone and I can’t look at myself in a mirror. I’m an all or nothing person so because I can’t exercise I’ve binged. Self loathing has become order of the day. IT NEEDS TO STOP! But I know I’ll need help. Please please if you have had success and can tell me what pitfalls to avoid and how to maximise foods please share with me and I’ll be forever grateful, truly. Recipes, good/bad foods, good regimes etc would be so helpful to me. Thank you from my heart X

Hi Oriaith,

You’ve come to the right place; this forum. I’ve had major health issues too and have been on hydrocortisone steroid medication for most of the past 4 years, though thankfully have weaned, though I’m still not able to exercise either. I’ve also been a binger, so know how that feels. There are so many supportive threads on this forum and what I would suggest is to click around and check some of them out since they are full of those very experienced as well as newbies like you and me (well I still feel like a newbie having begun 5:2 in late June 2016). I don’t feel like I could have continued and had the success I’ve had without tapping into the supportive threads. There are threads with many themes including a thread for those who binge, a thread for those who live in various locations and threads for those various amounts of weight to lose. There are also a couple of recipe threads! You can find all these active threads if you go to the top of this page and click the link in read called ‘Active Topics’ and it will reveal a smorgasbord of options!

Cheers!

Here’s a thread to check out that will help you get started:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Hello Orlaith, welcome to the forum.
    You’re certainly in the right place for support in terms of 5:2 🙂

I’ve been on the 5:2 since June. I started with 74kg, just pushing below 68kg this week. My target is to get below 60kg by the end of this year, when I turn 40.
    It has been relatively slow weight loss for me – mainly because I’ve been combining exercise and fasting. For me exercise is an antidepressant so I’ve kept going with despite this.
    I started off with sticking to Dr. M’s book – 2 days with only 500 cals and rest of the week eating as normal. First 2 months, I split the 500cals into 2, at breakfast and dinner. Then I experimented with taking all my calories at dinner time for about a month – that worked better in comparison to splitting the calories.

I listen to my body – hunger, energy levels, cravings etc. I found it difficult at first suppressing the hunger pangs and cravings, but in time my body and mind got used to it.

Since 2 weeks ago, I’ve been trying out going with only water/0-calory liquids on FDs.

In terms of food, I’ve ditched all diet soda/cola, smoothies and fruit juices – even on non-fast days (NFDs). Sugar and sweet things are my vice (cakes, biscuits etc). I try to be sensible on NFDs and reduce refined carb intake, but it’s difficult.
    I’m fearless about eating things like butter and full-fat yoghurt. Eggs are a staple in my house. I’ve also discovered cauliflower-rice – a very versatile low-carb rice equivalent. Also courgette spirals (aka courgetti) and other spirilised veg. I also drink a lot more water than I used to (thirst can be disguised as hunger and we end up eating instead of drinking to quench that need).

Couple of questions:
    Have you already started 5:2?
    How much does your injury limit you in terms of exercise? Is it just exercise? or general movement as well? Have you tried things like yoga?

Happy to answer any questions and listen to moans/groans/winges – we’ve all had it tough starting out on 5:2 and fallen off the wagon a few times. The main thing is to be honest to your self and keep going. The results will follow.

As Lael points out – check out the other threads also. You’ll learn a lot from other people’s experiences.

All the best 🙂

Hi Orlaith, welcome to a new way of doing things that has changed and is changing so many lives!

After a very severe virus, after 2 yrs in bed and another 4yrs before I could reliably go out into world on any regular basis, and now nearly 2 decades with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I cannot exercise at all. I am mobile and can walk shorter distances than most and at a measured pace. I started losing weight at 83.1kgs (183lbs, or 13stone 1lb). and today I weighed in at 64.6kg (142lbs, or 10stone 2lbs), and still going down. I’ve been on this 5:2 way of life for 22months with 8months of that just maintaining somewhere in the middle of that.

The link Lael has given you is excellent! Just follow the information in that yu’ll be fine. There are people on the forum who do various other things they try, people eat various ways, have various food beliefs, but this is about you. Stick to the basic 5:2 guidelines using food you’re familiar with for the next few months at least. The wonderful thing is that on 5:2 even those of us who are unable to exercise can normalise our weight.

If you’d like to try a thread just for people unable to exercise you can come join us over on the CFS thread. There are only a few of us and most of us are ME/CFS but we also have someone from The Netherlands with different challenges. Where do you live Orlaith? I’m in Australia.

Merry

PS I also have the dubious privilege of being medically diagnosed hyperactive, so ending up unable to exercise is a very weird place to have found myself. So… I understand the huge change in your life.
    Merry

Oh thanks everyone! I’m so grateful for all your links!

Merry this sounds like a plan!I have chronic myofascial pain, CFS,Fibro, Addisons and brain lesions after the spinal surgery I required after my accident. I have just had the all clear fro MS but the brain lesions remain a mystery for everyone. I’ve been medically retired from my career at 44. It’s all a bit frustrating and I have a big black cloud but I’m sure this would be better if I wasn’t so embarrassed by my physicality so I must do some thing about it. I only have myself to blame otherwise.
    I’d love to be in touch. I’m in Scotland.x

Oh thanks everyone! Im so grateful for all your links!

Merry this sounds like a plan!I have chronic myofascial pain, CFS,Fibro, Addisons and brain lesions after the spinal surgery I required after my accident. I have just had the all clear fro MS but the brain lesions remain a mystery for everyone. I’ve been medically retired from my career as a lecturer at 44. it’s all a bit frustrating and I have a big black cloud but I’m sure this would be better if I wasn’t so embarrassed by my physicality so I must do some thing about it. I only have myself to blame otherwise.
    Id love to keep in touch. I’m in Scotland. I’m starting about the same weight as you were then. This gives me hope x

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I’ll read all this later. I’m grateful. x

Thank you so much for taking time to reply to me. I’ll read all this later. I’m grateful. I can call off the gastric band search!!!!x

Many thanks. I can call off the gastric band search with your support!

I may be stating/asking the obvious here, but have you spoken with your GP about 5:2? If not, I’d highly recommend that before you start fasting. You’ll be putting your body under some stress during fasting, and considering you’ve got Addisons (and I assume you’re on medication for that) it may be prudent to consult a doctor as your steroid doses etc may need adjusting. The post Merryme suggested might have some more info about this.

I’m seeing endocrinologist next week so I’ll do that, thanks for that.

Hi,

some days I can walk for ten minutes at a reasonable pace, other days it’s like wading through treacle and my CNS goes nuts with hot flushes and hypersensitivity till I feel like I’m going to faint. I’ve had to start HRT too which I’m reluctant to be on and I dare say it doesn’t help my weight. I haven’t started yet as I should probably speak to my consultant first. But I hope he says yes because I’m spiralling put of control and hubbie and I falling out because I’d like to have a bypass. I know its ridiculous but I’m so unhappy at this weight and I’m becoming very isolated. Thanks for caring x

Hi Orlaith,

I hope you’re doing Ok these last couple of days. I’ve put a post on the CFS thread so it will appear on the first page of the ‘Active Topics’ list. To find it! you scroll up/ look at the top and you’ll see several headings in red. Active Topics is on the left.

Let us know how you’re getting on.
    Soft hugs,
    Merry x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.