This topic contains 211 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  LadyMacca 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 213 total)

• Morning all,

Hello to all the new bods. Its good to read about everybody’s different journeys. mymi glad to see you are still biking everyday as I must say my exercise plan has well and truly come to a halt as I have so much marking to do as I work as a lecturer and its prime exam time. I have managed to do 4:3 this week and one fast day I was starving and even tried to go to bed for a bit in the afternoon to try and overcome it. My last fast was yesterday and I wasn’t hungry once, weird! I’ve lost 1.5lbs this week so 7.5lbs in 4 weeks for me so its slow and steady for me. I’m going on holiday on Friday with nights out Thur, Fri and Sat so this may not be pretty next weigh in . Anyway glad everyone else is keeping going, happy fasting folks

Claire x

p.s amzta how’s the half marathon training going?

Good morning all,
    Started my first fast day for this week as I so miserable fell off the wagon last week. Had a lovely 3 egg white omelette with cherry tomatoes for breakfast, only 84 cal and very tasty. I bought the 5:2 bikini diet book and the recepies are fab, especially for someone like me who is a disaster in the kitchen. Happy fasten everyone let the pounds go. X

5 weeks and 10 fasts in and weigh-in this morning…

Starting weight: 11st 12lbs
    Weight last week: 11st 7lbs
    Current weight: 11st 7lbs
    Weight loss so far: 5lbs
    Weight loss this week: 0lbs :/

On the bright side, at least I’m not gaining anything… but losing nothing for a month feels a bit crap! Still it averages as 1 lb a week which is the norm.

I’m gonna keep at it until my holiday in July as it makes my tummy feel smaller.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
    Amy x

Hi al, how are you all doing? Kitty61 how do you make an egg white omelette, ive tried afew times but can get it to work
    Gogogekco the exervise bike is my saviour, it gets me ready for the day…
    Im on my 2nd fast day of the week & just sitting down to my porridge. Im hoping to have lost something this week, will let you know.

Oh forgot to say, my half marathon is only 5 days away! Getting nervous/excited πŸ˜€

Hi mymi, it was surprisingly easy, I just devided the egg white from the egg yogh put a TSP of milk in it, wisked it, spray of oil in non stick frying pan, eggs in, 10 cherry tomatoes in, salt pepper ready, and that all only 84 cal. I was amazed, I normally don’t cook, my husband does all our meals, so for me it has to be super easy. Gonna have a look now in my little recipe book and find some lunch. Boom apetit. X

Selector

Joined Dec 2013

May 20, 2014 2:32 PM
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I’m a 36 year old female. 5’4, 159 lbs as of today. Today was my second weigh-in and I gained about 3 lbs since last Tuesday morning. I’m feeling super discouraged, so if anyone has any words of wisdom, I’m all ears! Mondays and Thursdays are my fast days, with Tuesday mornings being my weigh-in time. On my fast days, I’m eating lots of protein/veggies, almost no carbs at all, and I’m eating all my 500 calories at dinner time. On my non-fast days, I’m still eating lots of healthy stuff like fruits and veggies, chicken/turkey, but allowing myself to generally eat what I want when I want. It’s possible that I may be snacking too often, not sure if that’s the problem or not. I’m also drinking lots of water and starting to exercise more, about 2-3 times a week of cardio. Also, I definitely still allow myself to have popcorn at the movies on the weekend and pizza with friends… thought that would be ok though! πŸ™
    I really was hoping this could be the final eating strategy for me, one that I could stick with for a long time, and I don’t mind the fasting days at all, so was disappointed to see the scale go up and not down. (Also, Alzheimer’s runs in my family, and I was really thinking that the added health benefits of IF would be perfect for me.)

If anyone has tips/tricks/suggestions, I would love to hear from you. sad

Thanks,
    Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

Don’t allow yourself to be discouraged, it sounds like starting the 5:2 way of life is encouraging you to make many healthier choices (increased water consumption, cardio, high veg and protein) and all of these may have contributed to your initial weight gain. It is very unlikely that you have gained 3lbs of fat (that’s over 10000 calories worth of food on top of your TDEE) and is much more likely that between weigh ins you have retained water/increased your muscle. Although it is lovely to see the scales move down, and I am not yet one of those people who can hide them away for months at a time, it is much more important to focus on how you feel in yourself and how your clothes feel on you (if weight loss is your only goal). Slimming down has been a massive plus of the 5’2 diet, but my biggest motivator is how much happier I’ve felt since I started, even on the most stressful of days. I only started 5 and a half weeks ago so I am not the most knowledgeable, but I would truly recommend staying positive, find the things that have improved since you’ve started (a cheaper food shop, healthier frame of mind, increased exercise… Whatever it is) and focus on this to keep you motivated until the scales start moving!
    I hope this helps and I haven’t just been ranting on, am in the middle of writing class reports so might have lost all sense of the English language by now!!
    Molly

Evelyn, I second all that Molly said. I personally find that eating 3 meals on my fast days suits me better.
    Kitty, had the omelette for my dinner with added mushrooms, onion, garlic, ham and it was just gorgeous.
    Cheers Mags

Mymi, I also find I need 3 meals, I downloaded 5:2 bikini diet for kindle and find there are great ideas and easy to follow recipes, had a slice of dark whole grain breed with light philly with black pepper and lemon juice topped with 30g smoked salmon, under 200 cal, and another slice of bread with cheese for dinner, love my bread, wasnt hungry all day and am 3 pounds lighter this morning. πŸ™‚

Decided not to fast today as only 3 days until my big run and I need to load up on carbs. Gonna go to the gym tonight and do my last short run and some strength training.
    Happy fasting! x

I just want to say… I think we are all awesome!!!!

Evelyn, do not let yourself get discouraged (just like the others said). Maybe don’t weigh yourself for a while. Try not to make it your main focus (although I kind of obsess with the numbers on the scale myself at times). Focus on trying new food ideas and the way your clothes fit, etc…

I am SO trying that egg white omelette!!!!

I, too, eat throughout my fast days. I plan them out the day before so I know exactly what food I can look forward to. If I don’t organize myself I think I would just choke down a few cookies and say, “Okay… Tomorrow.” Next week will be Week 4.

kitty61 – would you mind sharing other recipes that are tried and tested? The thought of being able to eat some bread on fast days makes me kinda happy!!!! πŸ™‚

Take care…

Good morning

It’s quite hard not to weigh yourself too much, I have that tendency too. I am crazy for bread, I got some dark whole grain bread from Aldi and it only has 115 per slice, I just convert recipes, like half the amount of salmon or cheese I could use normally to make sure I stay within my 500, also try a under 100 cal breakfast to have at least 200 for lunch and dinner. I find it fills me up more and makes it easier to stay on track. I will post things as I go along. Is great to have people who do the same thing. Have a good weekend all. X

Here, here bressie…. I agree totally with you.

I’ve had my weekly weight yesterday and Im happy to be another 1lb down

Start weight: 16st6lbs (230lbs)
    Current weight: 15.12lbs (222lbs)
    Total loss this week: 1lbs
    Overall weight loss : 8lbs

Have a great weekend and anyone who wants to share calorie saving recipes,please do

Being a Holiday week with cook-outs and a scheduled work related lunch, I’ve had to pick two different days to fast. This is Week 4 for me. I will fast today and Thursday. I’ve never split my fast days so I am looking forward to see how it works out for me. My meals are planned for the day. Fresh blueberries, raspberries and watermelon. One hard boiled egg. One slice of cheese and 54g of sliced turkey deli meat. Tonight I will prepare 4oz of wild caught Kingklip from the waters near Costa Rica. The lady at the fish counter said it’s much like Grouper. So, we’ll see on that.

Anyhow, I am rambling on. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I know I am!!! I am headed to IKEA to buy a new dresser each for the kids. Mainly just to keep my mind occupied!!!!

Happy Sunday everyone!!!!!

Hi, I am new here although on my 2nd week doing the fast. I think I have a couple of pounds off but it just depends what day I weigh myself. Anyway, this thread looks like a good one to follow so I will tune in and keep you updated.
    Yesterdays food was lunch: melon strawberries and two krisprolls with hummus
    Dinner: A concoction of onions, green beans, 2 slices of back bacon and 50g cooked pasta. A squeeze of lemon and some garlic made it superb.
    Tomorrow is another fast day.
    I am 41, a mum of 3 and I work full time. I have 35lbs to lose.

Hello Fast Bunnies!
    I’m back on it after a week off to run the Edinburgh Half Marathon πŸ˜€
    It was really amazing, such a great experience and I raised Β£363 for Macmillan Cancer Support in the process!
    I managed it in 2hrs 32min which I’m happy with for my first ever half marathon! I’m thinking of entering another half marathon in September as I don’t want to get out of the habit of running.

So fasting today and trying an experiment where I only eat satsumas regularly throughout the day. Each Satsuma is 42 calories so 500 cals = 11 satsumas with a few cals leftover. I tried saving all 500cals for dinner for a few weeks and lost no weight so I’m hoping this might help to kickstart my weightloss.

I also recently discovered that pickled gherkins are really low calorie – 125g is only 6 calories! Also jalapenos are something like 4 cals per 1/4 jar. Both are an acquired taste I guess but I find they really help to stave off hunger.

How is everyone doing?
    Amy xx

Congratulations amzta on running the half marathon, let us know how the satsuma thing goes, I find I stay away from fruit on my fast days as they don’t fill me up for long and I feel even hungrier than before, done a lovely chicken styr fry, 80 g chicken, mushrooms and been sprouts with a bit of soja sauce, under 200 cals and it was delicious. Good luck all. πŸ™‚

Week 4 is in the history books for me. Starting to plan my next two fast days. The weight is not falling off, by any means. I would have liked to have seen better results. But, the reality is, it’s only been four weeks.

Amzta – yes, let us all know how the 11 satsuma work for you. And, finishing a half marathon is an AWESOME accomplishment!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Well, I hope everyone is doing well. The posts have slowed down. I hope we haven’t lost any of the newbies. When are we no longer “newbies”??? πŸ™‚

Hi Newbie-I just started the diet today. Hoping to finally lose this weight and keep it off. I am also going to start running again but am so unfit at the moment so going to start slowly. Would love to lose some weight before the Summer hols. Goodluck to everyone on here!

Hi, whilst not completely new to the diet I am new to the forum – so hi everyone. After reading everyone’s comments and support I decided it would be great to be a part of it all!!!!
    I have been fasting for about 8 weeks now and have lost on average a 1lb a week. Whilst I tend to lose weight then nothing for several weeks I have noticed that my clothes are getting bigger so I know something is happening!!
    Until last week, I have been doing the diet whilst on a work break and so I have been saving myself for my evening meal and using my 500 cals for my main meal of the day. But my new job involves a 2 hour drive at the beginning and end of the day and I am concerned that no food until I get home may affect my driving concentration – does anyone experience this??? Last week I didn’t fast as I wanted to get into some routine at work but I don’t want to keep stalling!! today is my day off so I am fasting – I have read that some people spread their cals across the day – does this slow the weight loss down??? thanks for all your tips and I wish everyone great success!

clairetig, when I first started 5:2 I needed some breakfast and coffee in the morning in order to be alert enough to drive; now I find that the increased adrenalin from fasting is enough. My rate of weight loss did not change when I went from a 200-calorie breakfast + a 300-calorie dinner to fasting all day and eating a 500-calorie dinner only; I just preferred the increased flexibility in family dinner preparation. If I need extra energy in the late afternoon I will move some of the dinner calories to an afternoon snack, just keep it high in protein with some fat, keep the carbs low so I don’t feel super-hungry a couple of hours later.

Hey guys
    The satsuma thing did not work!!!
    I bailed on my first day back fasting. Also a client gave us a box of chocolates at work so that did not help.

However, yesterday was a successful fast day and even managed a 1.5 mile run and pilates class. Yesterday I had:

Bfast: porridge (160cal)
    snack: banana (100cal)
    Lunch: Hot & Spicy cup a soup (65cal) & 1 orange (62cal)
    snack: 3 large pickles (roughly 20cal)
    Dinner: fruit & veg juice – 1 bag spinach, 2 carrots, 3 stick celery, handful blueberries, 1 strawberry (roughly 100cal)

Total = 507 cal

I found this so much easier than having one big 500cal meal for dinner! It didn’t even really feel like a fast day!

Thinking of doing a 4:3 this week to kickstart my weight loss…

Thanks for the congrats Breesie! I’m pleased πŸ™‚

Where did all the Fast Bunnies go?? xx

Ladies keep up the good work. Im on holidays at the moment so not fasting ( & will probably be up afew pounds!!! When I get back)..:-D

Week 5 gone… Yesterday was the easiest “fast” to date. The trick, you ask? Have a crap-ton of laundry to do and get it all done whilst assembling two dressers from IKEA!! I didn’t eat until 8pm. And, then I was super excited to be able to eat so much at once. 492 calories!!! Whoop!!! Whoop!!!

I have been toiling over which two days to pick this week as I have so much going on with business lunches, etc. It’s looking like Wednesday and Thursday or Wednesday and Friday. My 43rd birthday is this upcoming Sunday and we will be celebrating all weekend. So, I have to cram it in before the weekend!!!

I hope everyone is doing well and focusing on themselves. Everyone didn’t leave this forum, did they??

I’d never even heard of the 5:2 diet or Dr Michael Mosley until yesterday but watched the Horizon programme today, read his book+checked out the recipe book as well as read loads of valuable info from the forum so my first fast day is tomorrow. I’d love to lose 5st,II plan to have
    8am: hot water+lemon juice 12pm:porridge+blueberries
    750ml water
    6pm: steamed veg, a large salad and smoked mackerel
    750ml water
    8pm: 0% Greek yoghurt+strawberries

Excellent plan Jennyh. That is very similar to my fast day food.
    All the best. It WILL work πŸ™‚
    PVE

Morning, haven’t left this site, just found a good support group on Facebook and it’s just do much easier to get in there and interact, Daten today, so on black coffee now, good luck all πŸ™‚

Starting my 5:2 way of life today. Yo-yo dieted up and down between 14 St and 11 1/2 stone but really need to get my weight down and stay there. I am now 13 1/2 stone with a family wedding and a holiday coming up end of August. I introduced my sister to this way of eating a year ago and she has shifted 4 stone in that time ,after being heavy for a few decades. She has put me to shame so now it’s my turn to get healthier, especially as the big 60 is approaching! I think writing this down could well be the motivational kick I need to get my head in gear. Herbal tea and black coffee for the day then a good paleo meal tonight.

Thanks for your words of encouragement PVE…..gb55, hope you doing good today.

Hi All! I’m a newbie on my second fast week. Week 1 was fairly painless, I noticed a hint of irritability on the end of fast day 1, but day 2 was fine. Today I am feeling cold all day, I wonder if there is anything with fasting and body temp change or sensitivity to temperature? Today I had a delicious spinach salad with red bell pepper, tomato and a hard boiled egg lightly dressed with 1 tsp fine balsamic vinegar and fresh squeezed lemon. I saved a few pieces of red pepper for a late afternoon snack. Tonight I will have tilapia, zuccini and asparagus blend with garlic, spinach and a small grapefruit. Overall I have more energy and feel more productive! All the best!

bhit8745, welcome, and congratulations on beginning 5:2 πŸ™‚ It sounds like it’s agreeing with you pretty well. Many people do report feeling cold while fasting, I’m not aware of what the mechanism for that is. Going for a brisk walk or drinking cup of something hot might help. It sounds like you love to cook; I do, too. Best wishes for your continued progress!

I am so pleased to have lost my first kg….hope everyone enjoying their new lifestyle. Tomorrow is my second fast day. Not only was I cold after my first fast day but got a cold so felt a bit miserable until I got on the scales…..

Hi All,

Welcome all the newbies.
    Well Im back from my holidays and I haven’t had a fast day in 21/2 weeks. I am fasting today but it feels like Im begining all over again. I’m happy enough with the fact that I only gained 2.6lbs in the 21/2 weeks which I think isnt bad. I will weight myself in the morning and see how I get on.

Start weight: 230lbs
    Current weight: 224.6lbs
    Total loss this week:-
    Overall weight loss : 5.4lbs

How is everyone else getting on? Did someone mention a fb page? Its very hard for me to log on to this site during working hours and when i get home in the evening, i just dont seem to have the time to log on?

Mymi

my second fast day yesterday and it was grand….drank lots of water and that helped alleviate my rumbling tum. I have been careful on what I eat on my non fast days.
    Breakfast: 0% fat Greek yoghuty (Fage) bowl of blueberries
    Dinner: cajun chicken, 1 boiled potato, broccoli, green salad
    Melon and an orange

Hope yiu all have a good weekend

Hello Fast Bunnies!

Just checking in after 2 weeks of 4:3 and here are the results of my weigh-in this morning…

Starting weight: 11st 12lbs
    Weight last week: 11st 7lbs
    Current weight: 11st 6lbs
    Weight loss this week: -1lb πŸ˜€
    Total weight loss: 6lbs
    Goal: 11st 3lbs by 4th July (my birthday)

So pleased the scales have shifted finally after 6 weeks of no change! Think 4:3 has done the trick, along with my ramped up exercise routine. Also I think running shorter distances is better for weight loss (less cortisol produced which leads to fat retention in belly area). Low stress running is the way forward!
    Other changes I’ve made are to give up alcohol and bread (almost). Have bread maybe once a week and really notice how much it makes me bloat! Crazy that I used to eat it every day.

Anyway, I am happy that my hard work has started to pay off! πŸ˜€
    Happy Friday fasters!!
    Amy xxx

Hi there,
    I’m happy to say that after 2-3 months I’ve lost 16.8 lbs or 7.5 kg’s in Australia

Well I managed my fast day on Wednesday and after 21/2weeks of normal eating, I found it grand. So here are my lastest weight in:

Current weight: 222.6lbs
    Total loss this week:-2 lbs
    Overall weight loss : 7.4lbs
    Im such a happy bunny πŸ˜‰

I’m hoping to fast 3 times next week – Saturday, Monday & Wednesday (Hopefully)

Well done jenny h, keep it going.
    Amy, Im glad that the scales have finally starting going in the right direction for you
    Miss Jane, WOW, well done you. i’m doing it for 7 weeks (with 21/2week holiday in the middlle) so here’s hoping I can achieve similar figures by 3 months.
    Everyone, have a great weekend, I’m away home to sit in the sun(while it lasts.;-)

Mymi

Congrats to everyone who got the scales or tape measures moving this week!
    I am now 9 weeks in (still doing 4:3 until summer holidays begin) and am 22 lbs down now so very happy πŸ™‚ ! Started at 13st9.
    Have booked 3 summer holidays this year so have a goal to lose that final 6lbs to get me to my 2 stone mark in the next 5 weeks! Feel I might have to mix it up a bit with my non-fast days and do low carb or high fibre diet for those 4 days as have been on a bit of a plateau now.
    Hope everyone else is doing well and staying motivated. Do you keep short term or long term goals? I keep a mixture of 2 but find the short term goals so much more motivating.
    Have a happy Saturday!
    Molly

Im so, so happy today. Fasted Saturday & Monday so far this week and here are my stats.
    Current weight: 220.6lbs
    Total loss this week:-2 lbs
    Overall weight loss : 9.4lbs

I’m hoping to fast again on Wesdnesday. how is everyone else getting on? I just love this program.
    Mymi

Today is the end of my second fast day for Week 7. Everyone sounds so motivated and happy with their results. The lowest I’ve weighed since starting is 154.4 lbs but I always seem to shoot back up a couple of pounds. And then down. And then up. And then down. I don’t find myself hungry on Fast Days, which is a nice change. I attribute that to “mind over matter”. Knowing I have committed to a certain day/days to take in less food, the less I think about it.

Anyhow, I am glad to hear about summer holidays and birthdays and sunshine! All the great things about summertime! Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Happy Fasting!!!!!!

breesie:

You didn’t say if you have lost weight, or how much if you have.

Assuming you have lost some weight, and have not for a couple of weeks, that is very common. Just keep on with 5:2 and you will resume your weight loss soon.

If you have not lost any weight, or have not lost weight for over one month, then this may help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

Good Luck!

Hi breesie
    Mine goes very much like yours up and down all the time, but I noticed about a pound gone all two weeks, by far not as much as I see with some others but by now I am a real fasten fan and do enjoy my fasten days. I wished I would loose the weight a bit faster but hey ho as long as it goes. Doing 4:3 this week as I am going to a party weekend, loads of food and drinks,
    So happy weekend all.

Hi All,
    I have been thinking about the above 2 posts on the up/down weight fluctuation. It makes me think- is this kind of an extreme yo/yo diet? I am enjoying the program so far- down 2 lbs total after 3 weeks. I will do some re-measurements after 4 weeks complete. Perhaps I can share my results with you next week πŸ˜‰

Hi and welcome bhit:

Nothing extreme at all. If you talk to those that weigh themselves daily, even if they are not on a diet, pretty much all of them will tell you their weight fluctuates by a pound or two a day, often for no apparent reason. It is simply water weight (and ‘weight in transit’) coming and going. That is why, with any diet, you measure weight loss or gain over time. Time ‘evens out’ the water weight ups and downs and reveals the actual fat weight loss or gain. The people that weigh daily often keep averages so they can have a feel for their ‘real’ weight at any given time

Hi all! Just started the Fast Diet this week. Did day 2 yesterday which I found a bit of a struggle but got there! Lots of tummy rumbling today and I can’t decide what to have for breakfast! Feeling positive and hopeful as I have yoyo dieted all my adult life and am now in my 60s.

Agree with you, simcoeluv… Not extreme at all. Yes, kitty61, one pound down nearly every week or two. Slowly but surely. I hate to say that I am obsessed by the scale at times but I get the satisfaction and reassurance from the number, I guess.

And, one must remember that this isn’t simply a weight loss program. We are repairing our insides when we take in less calories on the chosen two days a week. I hope my last post didn’t come across like I am disappointed… I have to say, I feel like a million bucks on fast days. I know I am cleansing and regenerating and focusing on myself and no one else. Totally continuing the program… although the number on the scale isn’t plummeting, my clothes are more loose and people are asking me if I have lost weight. Who doesn’t love those compliments, right????

Saying this… I just ate two pieces of pizza which were FANTASTIC!!!! Love to you all from Florida!!!!! xoxoxox. ~Amy

Hello all

I am a newbie and today is my first fast day. I’m just getting to grips with all of these potential recipes etc.. seems exciting, hopefully I’ll be able to stick to it. Is the 5:2 diet book the best in town then? I don’t know if I can afford to pay for all of these foods, but I was thinking maybe tonight just some smoked salmon and vegetables?! Abi x

abi joy, any foods that you want to eat that add up to 500/600 calories throughout the day are fine, not necessary to buy all the books or to buy any special foods. That said, many people find that making sure they get enough protein and a little fat (which you would from the smoked salmon) and then adding lots of low-calorie vegetables like green leafies, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. works well. I usually leave a few calories for a few strawberries or blueberries, some people like to leave a few calories for a bedtime snack.

Hi hope you don’t mind me joining in. I did a week on the Cambridge diet last week to give me a boost. I lost 10 lbs but completely bunged up. (I know Tmi) this is my third fast day this week and going well. Have a holiday booked in Oct to loose weight for. I am 5 7 and since September last year put on 2 and half stone. Could have kicked myself but just need to forget that and get on with it.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 213 total)

You must be logged in to reply.