This topic contains 211 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  LadyMacca 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 213 total)

• Another week gone and another 2.2lbs off 🙂 146.6lbs this morning. I’m delighted with this – especially since I had coffee and cake for lunch and fish and chips for dinner yesterday! Thats 7.4lbs in 2 weeks :-O

Fast day 5 today. Haven’t eaten anything all day – it’s now 5pm and I’m having a massive bowl of veg broth (2 portions for 292 calories – recipe on lavenderandlovage.com) and will have a cup of tea and a protein bar for supper later.

Still loving this way of eating/dieting! Hope everyone else is doing ok too!!

Hi KellyD7, sounds like its going well, keep it up! I Weighed in last friday after 3 fast days and had lost another 2.5 so that was 5 for me, however….. had a weekend of a zillion calories and my planned fast day of today ended swiftly after my 90min gym session as was starving. Next fast day is thursday so probably only going to get one fast day this week but only had 1400 calories today so going to try and stick to that all week aswell as daily gym sessions.
    Hows everyone else doing?
    Claire

Hola everyone!

I recently started this diet and have lost nine pounds so far. I wanted to know if it was ok to have a16 hr gap between my last meal on one day and my first meal the next day? I was doing this even on my non-fasting days. Also to lose weight do I have to eat at least to my bmr but not over my tdee? Any tips/suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Naz

Hi and welcome:

It is OK to have a 16 hour gap, but not necessary – it is the calorie restriction that matters.

You do not have to eat more than your BMR. It is OK to eat less. Having to eat more than your BMR is an ‘urban myth’.

Good Luck!

Good morning, another fasten day done and after not loosing any weight for two weeks, finally another pound down, very happy, feel it helps when I stay under the recommended amount of calories. Happy fasten everyone x

Hey guys

That’s me 3 weeks in and weighed in this morning…

Starting weight: 11st 12lbs
    Weight last week: 11st 7lbs
    Current weight: 11st 7lbs
    Weight loss: 0lbs 🙁

So that’s 2 weeks of no change…slightly demotivating :/ Especially since I ran 12 miles on Tuesday and 13.1 miles on Sunday so I expected a little loss from that.

In need of encouragement, Amy xx

amzta, I have read that serious amounts of vigorous exercise can cause temporary water retention as muscle fibers re-build themselves. Is this something that could be going on with you right now?

kitty61, congratulations!

Hi amzta,

When I have dieted before I have never had a regular weight loss every week and when I haven’t lost for a few weeks I end up then losing loads a few weeks down the line and it has always evened out in the end.

For me with exercise the other thing I am slowly learning is that the more vigorous the exercise the more it builds muscle (and the more toned I feel) but the less weight I appear to lose. If I do lots of running I don’t lose loads but if I lower the intensity and include swimming, yoga etc then I seem to lose more. I know this doesn’t make sense and it may be all in my head but its just what I have noticed.

I bet it will balance itself out and you will have a good weight loss soon

Claire

Could be franfit… I hope so anyway! I’m training for a half marathon in 3 weeks so kinda have to keep running a lot. Maybe once I’m running shorter distances I’ll start losing again? Thanks for the suggestion anyway, makes me feel a bit better 🙂

Thanks Claire! Think I might try the swimming and running combo… will let you know how I get on xx

Well done any the weight loss all,

Amy I have just got the fast beach diet book, been reading through and it does say that long amounts of exercise like running etc will slow weight loss as you are turning fat to muscle, so although you may not have lost any weight I expect your whole body is feeling different and better for it, don’t feel too down about it, everything you are doing is making a huge difference 🙂

I have no idea whether I’ve lost weight this week my scales battery has stopped working and so far have managed to buy 2 of the wrong size battery, so cant weigh in but have lost another inch from my waist so that’s good 🙂

I quite like not getting on the scales and being disappointed 😉 I know its working as I feel better and my shape is changing

Mia

Back at it after it worked the first time a year and half ago then I lost the motivation…

Getting older and rounder is getting me down so I am working at it again. I have chosen Monday and Tuesday as my “fast” days. This week went without a hitch. I guess knowing that I can get through two days will every little food made it that much easier. I loved preparing my meals on Sunday evening! I felt that helped the most because then I knew what I could look forward to, food wise.

I use pounds as my measurement – went from 160 lbs on Monday morning to 156 lbs on Wednesday morning. I know once I eat “normal” on my five days that will be old news. One pound a week would be a beautiful thing. Trying to get my boyfriend on board but he is not totally sold on the science/theory.

I have six months until a cruise and I just want to look decent in a bathing suit… Not all fluffy!!!

Hi All,

Well done everyone on their weightloss and welcome to all the Newbies.

I had my 2nd weight-in this morning:
    Start weight: 16st6lbs (230lbs)
    Current weight: 16 (224lbs)
    Total loss this week: 0lbs
    Overall weight loss : 6lbs

Im abit disappointed but still onwards & downwards (hopefullY)

I managed to fast on Saturday and Tuesday this week and am fasting today aswell so maybe tomorrow the result will be better.
    Im suffering big time with headaches on my fast days even do I’m drinking alot more than 2litre of water daily…any suggestions please?

mymi, re: headaches, what do you eat, and when, on fast days?

Franfit, On fast days I have for Breakfast – 30g porridge about 11am,
    Lunch – Ham Salad about 2ish & Dinner – meat & stirfry veg or Chick curry with no rice

mymi, it might not be related to what you’re eating, but you could try substituting an egg or some cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt for the porridge at 11am and see if that make a difference.

Will try the egg but wouldn’t be able to stomach the other stuff. Thanks;-)

mymi, lol! or a piece of string cheese or a few nuts or anything of equivalent calories that contains a lot of protein and a little bit of fat.

Will see what I can eat omn my next fast day. Thanks

Ok so after my 3rd fast day this week I re-weighted myself and happly have lost another lb…half stone in 2 weeks…happy days.

Start weight: 16st6lbs (230lbs)
    Current weight: 15.13lbs (223lbs)
    Total loss this week: 1lbs
    Overall weight loss : 7lbs

;-)……….;-)
    Have a good weekend everyone.

Well done on the weight loss 🙂

I couldn’t weigh myself Tuesday as usual, did weigh myself today but as its half way through the week I doubt it will be the same next Tuesday so will wait and get the usual weekly weight 🙂
    but as of today I’ve lost 5 3/4lbs and 2.5 inches from my waist, if its still the same Tuesday I shall be delighted 🙂

Starting my second week tomorrow (Monday)… Meals have already been planned and weighed out. I pretty much gained back every pound I lost over my last two days of fasting. I figure it will be a few weeks before my metabolism starts to kick in and realize what I am doing.

I love the “reset” factor each week. I actually look forward to a couple days of cutting back on my food intake. I have been taking in 30mL’s of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar each morning. Although difficult for me to choke down in a glass of water, I find that it helps cut down on my hunger pangs throughout the morning.

Well, I hope everyone has a fantastic week and I look forward to hear how everyone is doing.

breesie43 congrats – you sound so ordered I will take from it and try myself.
    What I wonder is your hours of fast. Are you managing the 36. I find it a bit hard. I read somewhere there should be 20hrs before ‘break fast’ so was going from 2.30 lunch time ll am before eating. Whats your thoughts.
    Moll.

Hi all,
    have just read through all 125 posts on this thread and am feeling very inspired. Started the fast diet around the same time as you all, during the Easter holidays (am a teacher so it seemed a good time to start) so have just completed my 4th week. Managed to do 4:3 for the past 4 weeks and have lost 16 lbs so very happy!!
    I tend to save all my calories for dinner on fast days and usually eat a Marks and Spencers ready meal as I currently live in a flat that only has a microwave. Have upped my exercise since starting this diet which I think has definitely helped the weight loss as now walk to and from work (about 4 miles a day). Hoping to find some new exercises I enjoy to keep this up, any suggestions?
    I hope everyone continues to be as successful as they seem to be, already looking forward to more posts to read!
    Good luck to all those fasting today, I’m going to try my first 2 day consecutive fast this week to try stick to 4:3 before a weekend away. Wish me luck! Any tips on how to manage the second day would be greatly appreciated!

Morning all

Mollybumble that’s a fantastic weightloss well done 🙂 I am starting week 3 Tuesdays are my weigh in day.
    Fast day for me today, I save all my calories for the evening meal too.

Hope everyone is doing ok, have a good Monday
    Mia

Hi all, Well Im on my 1st fast day of the week with tomorrow beeing my next one. I haven’t eaten anything yet but wont last mouch more as im getting a bit wobble. Whats killing me is that I’m working 8-7 today & tomorrow but Im donation gblood on Wedneday so cant fast that day. I’ve been told I’m not doing this properly because Im eating breakfast & lunch but I just wouldnt function overwise (today proves my point)
    What do you think?
    im going to have my homemade soup now & hopefully hole out then for dinner this evening. It will be 17 ours fasting????
    Well done everyone on the weight loss & keep it going

Hi mymi
    I am doing it like you having 3 meals, otherwise I get really shaky, and so far I ve lost 9 pounds in just over 7 weeks, I’ve been told I do it wrong as it is a low calorie diet and not fasten, but as long as I loose the weight I don’t really care lol.

Hey everyone!

It’s my 8th fast day today so will be weighing in tomorrow morning…
    praying for a loss after a 2 week plateau!

I’m finding each fast day is getting easier with less hunger pangs. The only thing is I’m a bit grumpy! Anyone else have this problem?

2 weeks until my first ever half marathon…excited! 😀

Stay strong Fast Bunnies!
    Amy xxx

Kitty thats my way of thinking but was very deflated after the comments. Ive lost 7lbs in 2 weeks & just hoping it will continue to fall of me

Reading the last few posts… I hadn’t really considered the hours inbetween meals. I guess I have just been focusing on how long I can hold out until I eat some the food I have planned out for the day. I guess at this minute, I have not eaten any food for about 16 hours. I have consumed coffee and water to fill my stomach (does this still count as “fasting”?) At this point, in my own mind, I am with kitty61 and just want to eat the 500 calories when I feel that my body needs the nutrition. So, mymi, don’t feel deflated after reading the comments. Just remember that we are all individuals trying to create a healthier lifestyle. What you are doing is working for you so don’t make any drastic changes just yet.

I love reading about the different ways we are all trying to accomplish this feat.

So happy to hear that you will be running your first Half Marathon, Amy (amzta)!! You will feel so accomplished once you cross that finish line.

Buffersmoll – I’ve only focused on 5:2 week and not thought of attempting a 4:3 week. I may try it in the future… I don’t know if I am strong enough to go three days with only 500 calories!!! Ha Ha!!!

Hi mymi and other Newbies:

I am seeing much more confusion between doing 5:2 and ‘fasting’. Another way to put it is confusion between calorie restriction and the length of time between meals. As this is a Newbie thread, I will be a bit more detailed than usual.

5:2 was born from a documentary Dr. M did on calorie restriction and life extension. Only one of the four basic segments of the show was on fasting. That segment was all about a four day fast (that is, eating no food) that yielded good blood work results. However, the researcher involved said that to continue benefiting, you would have to do four day fasts monthly (I’m going from memory), and Dr. M decided that he could not do them that often even if he did get the positive results.

Another segment was on a man that had been eating 1900 calories a day for over 10 years. He weighed 134 pounds and was in excellent health. Dr. M decided he could not do that, either. A third segment was on ADF – alternate day fasting – where people alternated between eating 500/600 calories one day and eating what they wanted the next. That approach yielded good blood work and weight loss results regardless of what people ate on their non diet days. The fourth was on calorie restriction and Alzheimer’s. Initial research indicates calorie restriction can delay its onset. Here is a link to the program, which I highly recommend: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UZLubGDn_IU

At the end of the show, in consultation with the researchers, Dr. M came up with what we now know as 5:2 and decided to try it for five weeks. It worked for him, yielding good blood work results. The show noted as an aside that Dr. M lost weight. After it was aired, people tried 5:2 (presumably for the health benefits) and began losing weight. Recognizing a good thing when it appeared, Dr. M quickly wrote a weight loss book (not a life extension diet book), and the rest is history.

The point is 5:2 is about caloric restriction, not fasting in the sense of time between meals. To explain, I see people not eating (fasting) for 24 hours (say, 2 pm to 2 pm the next day) and thinking they will automatically lose weight. But they eat their TDEE before 2 pm (because they will not be eating for a ‘day’) and eat their TDEE after 2 pm the following day (because they are hungry). There is no calorie restriction, they do not lose weight, and they quit because it does not work. It is the same for 16:8, 20:2 any other ‘time between eating’ diet plan. They can work, but only if you count your calories and make sure you eat under your TDEE every day. They are reduced calorie diets that do not have the potential health benefits using an IF (‘Intermittent Fasting’) label.

So if you are a newbie, I recommend you start by doing 5:2 correctly for at least two months before you start thinking of doing something else. ‘Doing 5:2 correctly’ means going to bed, getting up, eating 500/600 calories while you are awake, going to bed, getting up and eating normally – twice a week. ‘Normally’ means eating your TDEE or less. There are tens of thousands of people quietly being successful with 5:2. The ones who are not being successful generally are simply eating too much on their non diet days (and often their diet days, too). It makes no difference if you eat a small breakfast, lunch and/or dinner on your diet days (like you usually do), because time between meals is irrelevant. It is the severe calorie restriction twice a week that counts!

Good Luck!

Another week has passed and a very very busy week at that! My eldest daughter had her first holy communion on Saturday and that meant lots of eating and drinking this weekend. Still managed my fast days last week on Tuesday and Friday. And delighted this morning to weigh in at 146.4lbs – a minuscule loss of 0.2lbs but I’m so chuffed not to have put any on! Thats 7.6lbs in 3 weeks 🙂

Fast day 7 today. I’m going to drink lots of water today as I’ve been neglecting my water intake. I’m also going to have some smoked salmon and salad for dinner later then a protein bar for supper. Looking forward to them already – but also strangely looking forward to fasting for most of today. Too much sugar has been eaten – there was a candy bar on Saturday!

Hello,

Good to see all the posts still appearing. I’m third week done and another lb off so 6 all together, slow but stead which is fine with me. I actually only ended up doing one fast day last week and then did low calorie days the others so am pretty happy with my one little pound!

Hows the marathon training go amzta? I know its getting close now

Keep going everyone it seems its all going fab

Claire x

I am finishing up my second fast day of my second week… Taking a cup of herbal tea to bed. I will weigh myself in the morning to see if there is any weight loss. If there is, there is. If not, I will be okay.

terialc – congrats on a third week accomplished. I will be right behind you. Ha!!

simcoeluv – thanks for the breakdown and reminder of how this is all meant to work. Inside, I am happy that I don’t have to wait hours upon hours to eat what little food I have for the day. I still think planning out what I am going to eat for two days makes the world of difference.

Well, I hope everyone has a fantastic week!!! Signing off for tonight. Ciao!

Hi guys

Just checking in. I’m 4 weeks in and after my weigh-in on Tuesday morning, still on a plateau with no loss since my Wk1 5lb loss. I’m starting to accept that while I’m doing the half marathon training, it will be difficult to lose as I have gained a lot of muscle.
    However, I am noticing changes – I was trying on dresses for a wedding I’m going to on Saturday and on a whim I tried on my 16th birthday dress… and after almost 8 years, it fits!!
    I’ve definitely toned up around my chest/arms/shoulder area as there is no bulge over dresses now. And the running has turned my legs to pretty much solid muscle. Now, if I could just shift this belly bulge and a little off my hips!! If only you could target the area you want to lose from…

Hope everyone else is doing well! Have a great day xxx

Morning Fast Bunnies! 😀

Who is fasting today?
    I am and just had coffee and tea so far… felt so hungry this morning but it’s passed now.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether it’s better to eat 3 small meals throughout the day or 1 big meal at dinner? I haven’t been losing for a few weeks and it occurred to me that maybe 3 small meals might help with this? But then I’ve also heard the longer the fasting window the better so I’m not sure…

Amy x

Hi Amy, I’ve been doing the three small meals for 7 weeks and did lose 9 pounds, this week, because a lot of people told me I am doing it wrong, I tried to only have one meal and failed miserably, was so hungry that I gave in both fasten days and ate too much. Do whatever works for you, eating 500 cal a day will make you loose weight either way. Good luck.
    Margot:-)

Amy, for weight loss it does not matter when you eat your 500 calories or how you divide them up; whatever makes it easiest for you is probably the best option.

When we eat something with any carbohydrate in it, insulin is released. Some of the benefits of fasting come from reducing insulin levels, hence the benefits of going longer without eating. Some of the time, for some people, eating something, especially something that contains carbohydrate, leads to too much insulin getting released with more hunger a couple of hours later, hence some people finding it easier to go without food until the evening meal on a fasting day.

If not losing for several weeks (stalling for a week or two is a normal part of the process), usually we are overestimating our TDEE or underestimating the amount we’re eating on non-fasting days. Sometimes writing down everything we eat and drink and exactly how much for a week and then adding up the calories yields some surprises and ideas of how we might change things.

Hi all, well I tried the fasting as long as possible on my fast days & I didn’t loss an ounce of weight this week. I’m going back to eating 3 meals total in 500cals on my fast days.
    I’m heading on holidays in 2 weeks & really need to shift as much as possible before then;-)
    Hope you all have a great weekend

Hello everyone!
    I plan to start this on Monday! I am from the US and personally know someone that lost 115lbs in a year doing this diet! Reading this thread is giving me more motivation!!! I am very excited to start! I had a baby 6 months ago and gained 50lbs. I was already overweight to begin with so now I have the added pregnancy weight. I can’t wait to join you all on this journey!!

Welcome Benny this is a great site for help & motivation. Im typing this as I do my cycling for the day. Sun shining & I’m heading out to a communion so getting the exercise out of the way.

So I’m into my 4th week I think..
    Total lost is 11 lb 7.42 oz :0) or 5.2 kg’s as I’m in Australia
    So delighted with this way of life & wish I knew it about it earlier… I’ve lost inches off my waist maybe already 4″
    I had 5 lots of back surgeries within 13 months, nearly a year ago? Now having done this for the last 4-5 weeks I feel better then I have ever felt??
    Glad my spinal surgeon recommended me this knew way of life….
    I walk 7 klm’s a day and wear a pedometer and often walk around 14000 steps a day….
    Regards Miss Jane 🙂

I find myself counting down the days until my next fast day… I don’t know if I look forward to it or dread it at times. In only two weeks I feel so much better. It’s strange how focusing on what I eat makes so much of a difference. We get so used to just “eating” that the thought of it goes away. It’s only when I focus, can I make a difference in my body and health.

Benny1120… This is the way to go. Honest!!!! Plan out your two days and you will find it is so much easier to get through your fast days. Make sure you have a scale to measure everything and I find that using the myfitnesspal app is an awesome tool for making sure you don’t exceed your 500 calories.

mymi… I like reading your posts about how this is working/not working for you. Happy cycling!!

Just had a very extravagant weekend away, filled with huge amounts of food and cider. Feeling very scared about weighing in tomorrow as feel I’ve definitely undone some of my hard work from the last 5 weeks. Hopefully it’s not as bad as I think and I’m just feeling full at the moment! Ready to get back on the fast tomorrow though and really looking forward to the hungry feeling as I haven’t experienced it since last Thursday haha! Hope everyone else has been more refrained than me this weekend, and you are all looking forward to the week ahead! Happy Sunday all!

Week 3, Fast Day 1…

Let’s see how today goes. UGH!!

Into my 3rd week, first week just gauged how i could do the 500 calories, 2nd week i got there with a little help with M7S feel fuller longer meals. I also discovered the app MyNetDiary which allows me to scan all the bar codes on food i eat, I was actually shocked at all the foods it has in its data base, so i have found that a perfect way to count my calries on days im not fasting just to see how many i am consuming.

I had lost 2 lbs but my daughter took me to London this weekend and although i walked everywhere and only got the tube back to the station to go home i have acquired a 1lb from somewhere but i am enjoying the ease of this diet, i am very hungary today and needing the will power to await my dinner tonight.

Wk 5, Fast Day 10.

Not hungry yet but feeling rough today after a boozy weekend at a wedding on Sat then a 65th birthday meal yesterday.
    Not looking forward to my weigh-in tomorrow morning…

Usually pretty good on my non-fast days but special occasions are a different matter. Not expecting to lose this week but if I don’t lose next week I will begin to get a little frustrated as that will be 6 weeks with only 5lbs loss.

Happy fasting! xx

Hi all

I’ve been on this a week and done quite well so far (touch wood). I am eating my 600 calories around 6.30pm in one sitting for two reasons. Firstly my problem is I always get hungry late at night, so delaying my meal as long as possible is better for me and secondly, once I start eating I generally tend to get hungry, so dividing my 600 into 3 meals just wouldn’t work. I wish I could do it but I can’t.

I don’t want to count my chickens yet, but this does seem like something I could sustain for life even if eventually its 6/1.

Here’s hoping anyway 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 213 total)

You must be logged in to reply.