New to 5:2. Day 1 is Today!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
New to 5:2. Day 1 is Today!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  FUNSHIPFREDDIE 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hi Everyone,

New to 5:2 and Today is Fast Day 1 ๐Ÿ™‚

Best start with a thank-you to Dr Michael Mosely and Mimi Spencer, for the research and acting as ‘guinea pigs’, and a superb book and TV programme to help inspire us. Sure i’ll be using this website a lot for recipes and motivation also.

I’m a 58 male with a ‘South Yorkshire’ food history. ie always lots on the plate, always seconds and always pudding! Once tried a ‘are you addicted to sugar article / quiz’ in one of the nationals, and scored 15/15. Probably means I have a ‘very sweet tooth’.

I’ve been reasonable active for the last 40 yrs, but hasn’t helped the weight pile on over the last few years. So looking to loose about 12 lbs and a lot of my waist. Will be upping the exercise regime with a few more HIT’s.

Managed to find a friend / fasting buddy, but hope to find a few more here also.

Had 300 calories for brunch today, and doing typing this instead of lunch! So far so good ๐Ÿ™‚
    Will have another 300 calories (already prepared) at 6pm.

The embarrassing bit then at 13.8.21.
    Height 6’1″
    Weight 15′ 2″
    BMI 28.1%
    Waist 43″ ‘when it all hangs out’
    (even though 38″ jeans seem comfortable – so not sure if that makes sense)?

Only starting today as have been waiting for blood results which all look ‘okay’.
    Still hoping for some significant health improvements also.

Will feedback results here, so there’s no excuses…

@fastdietkeith – welcome to the forum & 5:2! It works! Been fasting myself, with the occasional break, since 2014. I’m 59, originally from Manchester but been living in South Africa since ’87. I wasn’t vastly overweight when I started fasting, but when I quit working 3 years ago I started getting into some bad habits, so I’ve been using 5:2 to prevent myself from turning into a slob. Currently 71.5 kgs, BMI about 22. I stick to 800 calories two days a week, and try not to go overboard the rest of the week. Like any diet really, it works if you stick to it. Just find what works for you. I’ve been joining in the monthly challenges for a while, which helps to keep me accountable. There are a couple of other guys on there too; Barry, aka @ I-hate-lettuce from the Lake District, and another guy from Atlanta, @northgeorgia. You can be as chatty as you like, or just indicate whether you’re fasting or not on any particular day.
    I hope your first day is going okay; if you’re struggling – it gets easier. Just remember, if you’re craving anything, you can have it tomorrow. You’ll nuke that 28 BMI in no time.
    David

Good for you! I started about 8 weeks ago and found day one the hardest and every one since has felt easier so stick in there. I have dropped 9kg, about 5cm from my waist and hips and am having to wear clothes I had at the back of the wardrobe as my recent stuff is too loose. I have also been able to reduce my blood pressure meds which is fantastic.

The big thing for me is that I can eat normally in between fast days but I am more aware of portion sizes, what stuff is high calorie and I am finding the portions I actually want to eat are smaller. Its subtle and for me easy to keep going. Famous last words but I can easily imagine doing this for life.

I am finding it easier to simply have drinks such as tea, coffee, water through the day and maybe an apple at lunchtime and then an evening meal. I started making my own calorie counted and still do but then discovered Aldi do some genuinely tasty calorie counted ready meals, all between maybe 360 and 460 calories so I am finding living under the 600 per day very doable.

Very best wishes for your 5:2 experience, I think you will love it

Hi David and Bertie,

Many thanks for the warm welcome and motivation. Always good to know when your following in someone else’s path that has found the way!

Yesterday was a success, only slightly hungry a couple of times and not as bad as i thought it might be!

Have to say the food was a bit boring, so more culinary skills required!

‘The Aldi’ is a top tip thanks and will investigate that.

Feeling good about my success even thought it’s only ‘Day 1’. Felt like a celebratory double Gin and non slimline tonic. Good job i resisted, but the fruit tea can’t really compare!

New healthier chapter of Life is Underway – Hurrah!

Cheers.
    Keith

@fastdietkeith – well done on completing your first fast day; & I’m glad you didn’t find it as tough as you imagined it might be.

@bertiebot – wow?! 9kgs in 8 weeks?! That’s really impressive; good for you! I also use ready meals sometimes on fast days. But I find eggs to be the perfect fast day food. Very filling & low in calories, with plenty of protein & other nutrients. So I often just whip up an omelette with tuna or cheese & some veg. I hope you can say goodbye to all that BP med soon.

Thanks Freddie on the eggs and tuna omelette tip, good idea.

By the way, my 111kg to 101.9 KG really was 8 weeks (I just checked) but have done a fair bit of alternate day fasting rather than just 5:2 basically because I am actually enjoying the process. Weird but true!!! If you read Michael’s book it is an effective alternative just listed as a bit hard core and not so easy to sustain as it gets in the way of life more, which is true to an extent but also a good way of making more progress which is definitely good for morale!

@bertiebot – I also did some adf/4:3 to get to my goal weight. But it got old very quickly. I prefer to try to stick to 2 FDs a week, & just watch the calories on the other days. That also helped me to reach my goal weight, ie logging what I eat every day. It’s not as big a hassle as I imagined it would be; an app such as myfitnesspal really makes it quick and easy. Although we like to think we can eat whatever we like on the non-fast days, that’s really not the case, & a little of this & a handful of that can really hinder any progress. So now I plan what I will eat tomorrow, & logging it in advance makes it more likely that I’ll stick to it.

Hi Everyone,

Day two complete, which I guess means first week complete โ€“ hurrah.

Day two was a bit of a faff really, as it was an away from home day.

Manage to book in a break for a breakfast (made in advance) at 11am.
    Seeing lots of fast food signs on the motorway didnโ€™t help!
    Had a few Iโ€™m bit hungry feelings, but nothing Iโ€™d call โ€˜Hunger painsโ€™.
    Phew ๐Ÿ™‚

Going to give it another week before hitting the weighing scales, as when i do i’d like to see at least a couple of pounds gone.

1 week down โ€ฆ 16 more to go (hopefully).

@fastdietkeith – well done on completing your first week! ๐Ÿ’ช

Can’t believe you didn’t get on the scales yet?! I think curiosity would have gotten the better of me by now. I weigh myself a couple of times a week, but only after fast days. Otherwise the fluctuations can be discouraging, but are perfectly normal.

Don’t let hunger put you off; even hunger pains. You’ll get used to it. I think that’s what puts most people off fasting, because hunger is something people seldom experience nowadays, due to all the snacking that’s become the norm. Just remind yourself that the sensation will subside; it doesn’t build up. When you do eventually eat, you’ll enjoy it all the more.

Thanks Freddie, good to know.

Start of Day 3 tomorrow, so will probably hop on the scales before then!

Pretty sure I’m starting to eat more slowly and enjoy more flavours, or certainly on the post fast days ๐Ÿ™‚

Managed to successfully do 2 x 600 calorie days this week, and upped my exercise to some light exercise everyday. Will include some HIT in a week or two after I’ve got used to fasting!

30.8.21 96.2 kg = 15′ 3″
    6.9.21 94.2kg = 14′ 12″

= 5 lbs lost!!!

This seems a bit excessive to me, and doesn’t feel that much. Maybe the scales were weighing on the lucky side, as they are not that accurate!

Did double check the readings though, and either way they are heading in the right direction …..
    ………. Whoo Hoo!

@fastdietkeith – great job! Some of the 5 lbs will be water weight, but so what?! Imagine what you’ll have achieved by the end of the year if you stick with it? And still being able to eat what you like most of the time! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.