New person looking for support

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  lohmeier 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hello, I am a 64 yr old woman who has always been fit and slim ….until cancer two years ago. Happy to say that I am now cancer free but…chemo and steroids have caused a 30 pound weight gain that never seems to go away. I also have developed neuropathy and have lost a lot of muscle strength. I wonder if anyone else has had medical issues and has had good success with the 5:2 diet. I think once I lose weight I will be able to get up and move better and thus look and feel good again. Thanks for any help and support. I shall start tomorrow and do some grocery shopping today. So Tuesdays and Thursdays will be by fast days. Anyone on board?

Hi Nonie
    Your story is similar to mine, I was diagnosed with Breast cancer, had surgery and radiotherapy then Tamoxifen which caused my weight gain. I also had problems dumping those unwanted pounds but resigned myself to being a cherub as I grew older.
    My mother (89) has Type Two diabetes and went through a bad patch with that, just about the time Dr Mosley bought out the Book. I was very impressed with his research into ‘aging deceases’ including diabetes I decided to give 5:2 a try.
    I have now lost over 2 stone in just less than a year but continuing because I want to lose another half stone.
    I don’t do any serious exercise, just walking daily when possible. My eating habits have changed considerably and it seems as if a switch went off to let me control how much I eat too.
    I usually fast on Monday and then either Thursday or Friday.
    Lots of good info and help on the forum so take a look around.
    Buy lots of vegetables – they are your friends 🙂

Hello,
    Thank you so much for your kind response and support. I am so glad you are doing so well. Keep in touch.

Nonie

Hello again and this is my first day on 5:2….I am doing well but ofcourse, it is not easy. I am hungry. How long have you been NED? I had ovarian cancer and was lucky it was stage 1, but I did have a tumor that was as big as a grapefruit. Just went to the Doctors the other day for my every 4 month checkup and she said …everything is perfect. Well……good , but my body looks so bad with a scar from my vagina to above my belly button and now I have the ..”apron” belly hanging over onto my thighs. Really hope this diet works and if it has for you….please brag to me about your success. So happy you have conquered cancer and you are living your life with gusto and such great humor.

Hi Nonie & Lindyw , I hope you dont mind a man joining in but I also fast on Tuesday and Thursday. and my mum who is 85 had breast cancer 3 years ago , so i know its horrible , but obviously i dont know the pain you must go through, so i am priviledged to be on the same forum as 2 brave ladies x

This is only my second week

hi Nonie and very welcome to the forum!

you will find amazing support on here and encouragement, wishing you all the best on your journey, and am sure you will do great!

take care xx

Welcome to the forum, and the to world of 5:2, Nonie. I admire your determination and strength and your desire to sprint ahead and be good to yourself. Kind regards. My fast days work out best as be Mondays and Wednesdays but I’ll be checking in. Have a beautiful day. Jean

@lancsken Thank you for your kind words. I am not brave, at the time I was completely stressed out after helping my husband through a triple bypass, and my best friend dying all within six months. You just pull yourself up to your full height and get on with it.
    I am sorry about your mother, mine too had a mastectomy at 83 and is still giving us all the runaround at 89. Those old birds are strong!
    Hope your fasting is going well – its a very easy way of life once you get in to it with so many benefits to your body.

@nonie Fasting gets easier over time, and seeing your clothes get baggier and the scales going down is a wonderful feeling. Just keep really busy on fast days and think ‘tomorrow I will have (insert what you crave for)’ Save 40 cals for a bedtime Cadburys Highlights Chocolate drink. I have found that I get colder on fast days than others but that may be the shedding of my blubber.
    Good job on getting that ovary early – its so much easier to treat then, and I know what you mean about the ‘apron’ (yuck). Don’t worry about the scar, it will fade and who sees it anyway? The one who loves you won’t notice it, and unless you run around in a bikini, neither will anyone else 🙂

Keep up with the fasting both of you – it will be worth it!

1st week too. I’m an ex-Rugby player who still enjoys his beer and food, but no longer the Rugby. Result: 40″ waist. 🙁
    I did try this a while a go and sort of stopped, but I was annoyed that I did because the euphoria of walking up the next morning after a fast day was quite addictive. I also like the idea of not having to worry (too much) about what I was eating the rest of the week.
    Today is the second fast-day of my first week. Good luck everyone!

Hi diet021271, like you I am ex Rugby player but up in the North East. (That was a long time ago). Over the past 16 months of 5:2 my best weight loss was 23 lb but weighed today at my Doctors surgery visit I am 16 lb down on my start weight. This is because like many I do eat to excess on my non fast days from time to time. My main concerns are my health and weight. As a 65 yr old male I have become more concerned about my mortality so I want to be as healthy as possible hence my return to a more focused non fast day regime.
    Good luck.

Nice. Am at the end of my second day. Early night and then up with the larks for a fry up!

Good morning diet021271. Re your “Fry Up”. GRILL IT. You have reminded me of times past when as a child the family “Fry Up” was on a Monday when our parents would fry the remains of our “infrequent” Sunday dinner. Mash, carrots, brussel sprouts,(ugh), Yorkshire puds, gravy etc etc. The “Full Monty” was also infrequent but a most welcome Fry up that is now an almost distant memory. When I do treat myself it is now grilled with no fried bread. One of the things I am trying to say is that many now change the way we cook some of our favorite foods. Grill not fry, Steam not boil, Lite spray not oil in the fry pan. How often is Beef Dripping used now a days?. I remember my mum poring the fat remains from the Sunday roast into a cup, allow it to solidify and we would spread it on bread as a treat. Oh my poor arteries.
    Enjoy your Fry Up, ignore my ranting memories.
    Good luck.

Hi Nonie,

I know you posted months ago, but if you’re still looking for a fast diet buddy, let me know. I’m also 64, have had 10 hip surgeries. Have a titanium hip but it’s infected and always be infected, so I’ll be living on antibiotics for the rest of my life. For some mysterious reason, periodically I come down with this flu-like thing, which is zaps all my energy and makes me feel absolutely horrible. I used to do a lot of weight training and kept the weight off that way, but each time I run into one of these flu episodes, I stop going to the gym and have a hard time getting back, so I’ve gained weight.Need to get off about 20 pounds, so thought I’d try this fasting idea. Are you still looking for a diet buddy? Thanks, Lynne

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.