New & looking for a "buddy" (:

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  pete@soton 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hello,

I have just finished reading the book & tomorrow will be my first fast day.
    I am 23 and have been yo-yo dieting since I was about 7! At the moment I am 5ft tall (or short, however you want to look at it!) I weigh around 10st 10lb at the moment (will weigh myself in the morning) my goal is to reach 8 stone (the smallest & happiest I have been as an adult), however at the moment I am focussing on getting to 9st (which would give me a healthy BMI).

I would really appreciate having someone to check in with, to give and receive support- I am THE worst dieter I know, with the willpower of a mars bar ice cream so I think I’d really benefit from having people to chat to 🙂

I’m feeling positive about tomorrow and would really like to give this a proper go!

Hi, Natalee, I don’t know if I would be your best bud, I am 57 and have been doing 5:2 since last August, lost 37 pounds so far, 9-14 more to go. I think the best advice is to not think of this as a weight loss diet, but rather as a healthier way of eating with weight loss as a side benefit. The first couple of fast days can sometimes be difficult. Some people really need breakfast; some people really need something mid-day; but a lot of the people on this forum find it easiest to save all their calories up for dinner. It seems like eating, especially eating anything with carbs in it, even good carbs, can set off the hungries. Also most people do best if they drink a lot of unsweetened liquids, especially water, all day long. What are your plans for tomorrow? Some people even find it easy from the beginning — maybe you will be one of them 🙂 Once I make up my mind that I’m not eating until dinner for the day, my stomach tends to shut up, for the most part.

Wow, you’ve done really well 🙂

I’m definitely someone who does better without breakfast! On a normal day if I skip it I’m not hungry until lunchtime. Today I plan to have some soup mid-afternoon and some scrambled eggs in the evening. Im working as an au pair at the moment so preparing a lunch for the kids that I won’t eat the leftovers of!

I’m more worried about the non fast days, hoping that by knowing it’s ok to eat what I want most of the time I won’t feel the need to binge!

Morning Natalee

Lots of luck for your first fast day, tomorrow will be the start of week 3 for me, weigh in is on a Tuesday, last week I had lost just over 5 lbs and 2 inches off my waist. I need to lose another 2 stone so have a way to go yet but I do feel so much better for doing it, I don’t have the sluggish,bloated feeling and just generally feeling yuck anymore.
    I save all my calories for a main evening meal, I can go without breakfast & lunch no problem, it surprised me how do-able it actually is!, if I have breakfast I’m hungry again by lunch so don’t bother and then the evening meal makes me feel full and don’t feel as though I have gone without food all day.

Good luck, theres is loads of helpful advice on the boards.

Franfit, that’s a amazing weightloss 🙂

Mia

Thank you 🙂

It went quite well, have eaten just under 450 kcal (want to get to 400 on fast days as I am so short I don’t need the portions-for-3-men that I’m used to!)

Wow Mia- sounds like you’re doing really well! Sluggish, bloated and yuk are all things I can relate to so I have high hopes for this plan 🙂

I’ve been reading through lots of posts- they really are helpful!

Here’s hoping today is the start of a very good thing for me! 🙂

Congratulations and thank you, Natalee and Mia 🙂

I started to focus on reducing my weight in March this year. I didnt start 5:2 fasting until mid May. I have 44 kilo to lose in order to be eligible for hip surgery. I have lost 18 kilo to date. A few things I found to be helpful, using a food diary just for me. Everything I eat goes into the diary, for fast days and off days. Planning meals in advance is the most important issue for me and still the one that gives me the biggest headache!
    Celebrating success of your achievements helps as looking forwards at the journey ahead can be daunting. Again I have a bit of a problem knowing I have a long journey and I am not always the most patient of people lol. Support, as in talking and exchanging problems, solutions is very helpful and the best way to make 5:2 fasting a lifestyle and not a momentary ‘fad’.

Hi Natalee & Others,
    I’m a Natalie & a newbie too. I’m 37, 5ft 5 & starting weight was 164lbs. I have been following 5:2 diet for 10 days (so in week 2) & I have shed 6lbs so far. Which is far more than I had anticipated.

My goal is to get to 133lbs, I don’t know what to expect as I have not followed this diet before but I’m hoping for 1lb loss a week. My general diet is good & I have not ate added sugars in over a year, however my portion sizes were ballooning & as a result so was my body.

I work for myself mainly @ home but work on location on Tuesday’s & Thursdays. As I’m busy these days & away from my fridge I’ve opted to fast then too. I have been consuming decaf coffee for breakfast, a piece of fruit for lunch & a pre packed M&S Fuller Longer meal for dinner. (Costs the same as a cheap lunch). On my none fasting days I have been sticking to approx 1,310 calories a day & been sticking to this with the help of the app ‘MyFitnessPal’ which is helpful to calculate/monitor your ideal daily caloric, exercise & water intake.

I have found that I have been a tired & needed naps but I hope this will stop once my body gets used to my new eating regime. I have been enjoying the challenge of finding nutritious & tasty things to eat with minimal calories on fasting days.

I’d love to share/ exchange my progress & tips with you. N

Hi and welcome:

The way 5:2 works is you go to bed, get up, eat 500 or fewer calories during your waking hours, go to bed, get up and eat to your TDEE or less – twice a week. On all 7 days of the week you can eat foods you want to eat – there are no forbidden foods, or foods you have to eat. For the first month or so focus on doing your diet days correctly (500 calories or less) and most everything else will fall into place.

Here is what TDEE means: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

And here are some tips for beginners: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Hi Natalee. How are you finding the 5:2 plan? I’m just starting..1st fast day tomorrow. I am also a little person carrying a little too much weight! Ideally I want to lose 1 stone but my ultimate target would be to lose nearer to 2 but I don’t think that is realistic for me, but you never know! I’ve tried various other diet plans over the years which have worked but I’ve not been able to stick to because I start to feel deprived. I’m hoping that by following this plan I won’t feel deprived because, according to the literature, I can eat a normal, healthy diet on my non-fasting days. Please let me know how your first month went..it might be the inspiration I need to really get myself going!

Hi Lyndylou,

How lovely to hear from you.
    I will of course be happy to keep you abreast of my progress. Please do the same in exchange:-)

As I said above I’m only on my 2nd week so will try to update on this post weekly. The only side effect that I have initially noticed is how tired I have felt especially on fasting days but that is easing. I have found planning my meals ahead & completing a food diary on fasting days very useful.

I shall be looking forward to hear how your first week goes. N

Hi Natalie, glad you have adopted the 5:2 fast diet lifestyle change.
    Possibly, if you compare your previous diet/lifestyle to what your doing now you may find you are being a little too restrictive with your non-fast day allowance. This calorie/energy change could well result in the tiredness and potentially put your chances of staying long term on the fast diet at risk?
    Please do not think I am being critical but more about you making the 5:2 fast diet a long term lifestyle success.
    Obviously if you wish to lose weight quickly you just need to plan well for the extra stress and strain on your metabolism. Its ‘do-able’ just tougher and more risky.
    Best wishes and good luck.

Hi Pete@soton,

Thanks for your advice, I didn’t take offence at all.

So far I haven’t felt hungry on my none fasting days. But you are right there must be a reason that has triggered my initial tiredness.

I will bear what you have said in mind & will try to relax on my none fasting days regarding calorie counting. I’ve been sticking to 1,310 per day which is a decent amount of food for my height 5f 5inches. But I must remember this is a new eating regime with new rules:-)

Thanks again for the wise words N

Hi Natalie -I am not an expert, however, I believe I have 20 years experience of how to eat ‘unhealthily’ pretty much sewn up!! Lol.
    Personally I have lost 2 or 3 stone numerous times but always put it back on again. Hence my adoption of 5:2 fasting is all about the ‘long-game’! Making this lifestyle the last change I will need.
    Actually I am still a 5:2 fasting novice, having only started in mid May this year – but somehow this style of eating has given me more confidence, more experience and more of a ‘feel good’ factor than any other diet.
    Embracing hunger without considering being fitted with a straight-jacket has given me so much more confidence. On my non-fast days l no longer panic at being hungry. That said I still have a long journey ahead with plenty of scope for problems!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.