New faster hoping to change things for good this time – advice re TEED please?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
New faster hoping to change things for good this time – advice re TEED please?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ruthi 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hello everyone. I have started the 5:2 this week and I have found the forums very inspiring especially during my hungrier moments on Tuesday’s fast day.

I find it hard to be honest about my weight with the people I am close to (I never let my husband see the scales) but I guess I will start my new life with being honest here.

I am 34 weigh 127 kilos am 5ft 6 and am officially classed as morbidly obese. I have weighed this much since I was 18 apart from a brief period when I was single and took lots of stimulants and barely ate.

The words ‘morbidly obese’ always give me images of massive Americans being winched out of their seats on reality tv shows and I find it hard to relate to! I am very active when not sat at my desk and I cycle every day. I am a fairly well proportioned size 22. I guess I have been in denial for many years.

I have a series of goals I want to achieve from 5:2 which I pray will work for me:

1) See 19 on the scales rather than 20
    2) lose 10% of body weight (13kg)
    3) reach the 100kg mark as this is when I met my husband
    3) Be able to buy clothes in normal shops
    4) reach the 80kg mark
    5) feel like everyone else

If I acheive most of these within a year I would be delighted.

I have a question regarding feed days… Is it good to go lower than the 2000 calories allowed or is not eating enough a bad thing? People seem to vary massively in their approach. (based on TEED I should be 2400 calories but that seems excessive!) I have been counting calories based on fitness app for a while and have lost nothing 🙁

Sorry for long post and thanks for reading.

Fingers crossed!

Please don’t be so hard on yourself……the 5:2 is the type of programme you adjust to you and your life! Well done for deciding to take charge of your life, and changing it for the better.
    I’ve been on this for almost a year, and although I’ve lost a good deal of actual weight, I just feel so much better about ME….and that’s far more important! Yes, I can buy smaller clothes, walk further without panting, be more honest about what I eat etc, but I’m a much happier person. Yes, I can gain a pound or two on holiday or at Christmas but it comes off again….life’s too short to be completely regimented.
    As for how to follow the diet, I’m sure you’ve gathered from this forum that you do what suits you…there doesn’t seem to be a set of hard fast rules. The main thing is to eat only 500 calories on your fast day, and try to stick to 4 times this on the other days, but it takes time to get used to it. When you eat of fast days is up to you.
    So……keep fasting…it really works…..in lots of ways.
    Good luck

@berlinboundgirl ….hi bbg

Welcome to the forums and 5:2.

In answer to your question on TDEE, ideally on 5:2 on your non fast day you have UP TO your TDEE and MORE than your BMR…so anything between the two figures.

e.g. my BMR is 1180 and my TDEE is 1610 and I aim to have around 1450 on non fast days. I emphasise that this is what works for me and that’s the beauty of this way of eating – you tune it to YOUR personal needs.

My Fitness Pal is ideal in the first week or two to regulate your portion sizes – if you have been using this already you’ll have a good idea of calorie values. Whether you want to record calories on 5:2 or not is entirely up to yourself as long as you don’t overeat on a regular basis.

Good luck reaching your goals – they are doable…GO FOR IT!!!
    xx

Hi Berlinboundgirl and welcome to the forums,

I second everything already said, good sensible advice, so good luck from me too and happy fasting 🙂

Don’t beat yourself up about your current size, its not your fault, contrary to the general mythology.

When you fast your body goes into fat burning mode, and actually gets more ‘buzzy’ in order to make sure that you have the energy to go out and find food (if you were in the jungle). When you reduce your calories by a relatively small amount, there is a tendency to reduce the metabolism in order to conserve energy. And research shows that even a year after a calorie controlled diet, the metabolism is still slower. So no wonder we end up putting the weight back on after a normal diet. Worse still, on calorie reduction you tend to lose muscle and bone as well as fat – and that doesn’t seem to come back. So again, after a normal diet you have less muscle to burn up your energy, so you TDEE is permanently reduced.

Eat your TDEE on feast days. Try to cut down on sugar and carbs as far as you can, and don’t worry too much about ‘good’ fats, animal fats, and olive oil, they will do you no harm in reasonable amounts. If you want to reduce your total calorie intake even further you would do better to go to 4:3, or not eat anything at all on your fast days. But most people lose on 5:2 although not always steadily – you might find you plateau for a while and then start losing again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.