New and Confused…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  toybitsUK 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi all,

I’m not sure if this is where I should be asking the question but I’ll give it a go.

I had a look at http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ and it’s a bit ambiguous. I think I have seen other sites and it implies that I should work out my TDEE and eat a 1/4 of that on my fast days.

So with my height, age, and weight I worked out my TDEE was 921. So does that mean I should be eating 600 on my fast days and around 900 on my non fast days. That sounds very difficult.

I’m just confused because I thought the idea is (I know wet finger in the air) a quarter of your calories on your fast days, but the title of the above page, and the first paragraph imply that’s what I should be eating on my ‘non-fast’ days.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

hi there ToybitsUK

welcome to the forums, have you tried the tool under “how?” top middle of the page? this will calculate your MBI and TDEE, 900 cals seems very low to me…
    hopefully someone will be along soon to give you more advice, I don’t really count cals on my fee days, I roughly know what I am using but I refuse to count on normal days lol, that way I don’t feel so restricted and I never feel like I am on diet, I ma doing this for life and I love it!!

good luck with it, don’t worry too much about numbers, measurements will let you know its working 🙂

happy fasting x

Hey Angie090465 thanks for the quick response.

The 900 is based on 3765/4 (rounded down to 900) because the first paragraph said they took the typical figures and divided them by 4 to get 600/500. Sorry I should have explained that better 🙁

So when I stuck all my figures in including gym three times a week I got 3765.

You’re right though I always go wrong with numbers (got a triathlete mate trying to convince me to weigh myself daily!) so measurements is more the way for me.

Thanks again.

Hi ToybitsUK

no worries lol, I am sure since you seem a vey active person your allowance would be higher 🙂
    as for the daily weighing grrrrrrr I am not a friend of the scales lol, I may hop on once a month or so, because I refuse to let numbers rule my life, and also so many factors can make your weigh fluctuate, it would drive me a little crazy I think 🙂
    I really go my clothes and how looser they feel,and trust me they will, your body shape will change, and that is the greatest feeling of all!!

good lukc and let us know how you are getting on!

Angie x

@toybitsuk…your TDEE is TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE and takes into account your gender/height/weight/age and level of activity. This would therefore be the high figure (I think you said 3765) and you then divide that by 4 to get your fast day calorie amount (900). I think Michael Mosley recommends eating 500 for women and 600 for men regardless of TDEE but others recommend 25% of TDEE.

On non fast days ideally you should eat UP TO your TDEE but definitely MORE than your BMR (BASAL METABOLIC RATE – i.e. the amount of calories your body needs just to exist without any movement).

You have to do what works for you so if you lose weight on 900 cals per fast day then that will be fine – if not you may have to cut it down to a lower amount. It’s a bit of trial and error until you find what’s best for you as no two people are the same.

If you’re not sure how many cals you are consuming, you might want to use an app like My Fitness Pal or Lose It (just Google them) to record cals for a week or two to give you an idea of portion sizes and calorie values. It’s only too easy to underestimate the calories in things.

The main thing is don’t stress about it…this is not a ‘quick fix diet’ it’s a long term change of lifestyle and it’s about your body becoming accustomed to a new way of eating.

I’m not a fan of weighing daily either …far too many variables…once a week is more than enough.

Good luck x

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. I think you’re right sylvestra I can put too much thought into this.

And I forgot about MyFitnessPal. I’ve got an account and got that on my iPhone so brill idea.

I’m finding it easy with Porridge, soup for lunch and light dinner to keep to about 650 cals and Light exercise on Fast days (30 mins on Xtrainer 500cals) then I’m fine. So let’s see how this goes.

Very excited thanks again both.
    xx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.