myf*tnessp*l… Friend or Foe?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  plantnerd 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Open to debate, I guess…

I’m generally a fairly fastidious, obsessive person in the nicest way possible, but I started counting calories on abovementioned app yesterday and felt myself slipping down a slippery slope of obsessive calorie counting.

I don’t mean this to alarm, because I am.able to pinpoint my own downfalls, but I can see how someone could really let a diet control their life… Well, someone like me anyway. Eating disorders, that sort of thing…

I promptly deleted the app, feeling that I know myself what is a normal healthy eating day without calories counting to the T… Something which before I began the fast I had never once done in my life despite being probably a bit more body conscious at the age of 27 then I wish I was.

I get that the 500 count is important on the 2 fast days.

Anyone catching my drift??

Good on you Littlewing

I wish in a way that Michael and Mimi hadn’t used the word Diet in their book title. The word should be banned as it can be so damaging.

I am so very determined that i refused after week 1 to count any calories. Once i had an idea of what 500 calories was that was me done. I also think after reading numerous posts on here that the BMR and TDEE although interesting are causing more problems. Too many are either misinterpreting them or sticking rigidly to them which is clearly setting some of them up to fail which is such a shame.

This really is a very old simple story of fast and then eat less than normal on non fasting days and if you really want to change your lifestyle stop counting those calories, most people really know what they should and shouldn’t be eating.

Hi,

I have never counted calories on non-fast days. I do count (sort of) on Fast days because I know myself well enough to know that I could start slipping in a few extra calories if I’m not careful.

Little Wing I respect you self knowledge.

The reasons for doing this is the fact that I don’t have to think about it everyday and since I’m doing it for health reasons, the weight loss while very nice is secondary.

Quick

I’m using a spreadsheet for the first few weeks (my own setup) as I have been a low carber for many years and had no idea of calories. It’s just to give me a guide to how much I can eat. I use http://www.fatsecret.com/ to look up a food

I used that app for a year after I had my second child because the weight didn’t just drop off like after I had my first. It did the job to a certain extent (i lost 2.5 stone) however I still had 1stone left that I could not shift.

I would agree it does make you a bit obsessed about everything you put in your mouth, and I mean everything, however it does make you aware of how much the little things add up to, eg cups if tea, and at Xmas, one quality street etc etc. and that they are going in there with v little thought, so if you want to gain knowledge about calories in foods, and your unknown habits it’s good from an “it educates you” perspective.

Another downside is that any exercise you tend to end up compensating by eating more! On the fast diet I have clearly seen, I can cycle 20 mins to work and 20 mins back and still stick to 500 cals, I do not need the extra 350 cals that the app would have then allowed!

My summary would be that it is ok for a short burst of weight loss, but not a lifestyle changer!

Maxwell, I agree with you, about the word ‘diet’. I always explain to people that this really isn’t a diet – it’s an approach which makes you re-think your whole approach to food, intake and health.
    The word ‘diet’ is occasionally wont to make people roll their eyes and think “Hey-ho, yet another ‘Fad’ to hit the headlines…It will pass!” but the more I explain to people how incredibly simple it is, and the more they perceive how much better I look and evidently feel, the more interest it generates.
    I do wish there was a better word than ‘diet’… maybe ‘regime’ is better, or ‘lifestyle’ fits…. but it’s perception that maybe needs to change, rather than vocabulary…

I’ve decided to track my week on fitness pal. But not to plan my daily calories, just to record once I’ve had them. I was miles under yesterday which I didn’t think I would be. Also I can look at my week and see the differences between a loss, stay the same or a gain. It’s a good tool, and hopefully will help me if I do need to look back and evaluate. It’ll also hopefully help me understand what foods have what calories. X

Yes, I find on my non-fast days, sometimes I just about hit the recommended calorie target, sometimes I go over, but more often, I’m slightly under – and i don’t feel deprived, hungry, unhealthy or as if I’m starving myself.

I have to admit to guilt feelings if I eat a pot noodle, or something – but the thought of bread actually creates a mild aversion in me.
    I honestly haven’t touched bread since June.
    Ryvita crackers, yes. Kallo rice cakes, definitely… Twiglets…? guilty as charged! (Love ’em!) But bread? Actually? Ugh.

This is my first week on this diet and i have had one fast day. MFP is good for me just to keep track of what im eating on both fast and non fast days. when i get a better idea of what 500 and 2000 calories looks like i may stop using it but i also finds that it motivates me too. I like tracking my steps and seeing how much i have burnt off and it gives me an incentive to exercise more. On the whole not a bad app.

Maxwell/TaraMaiden – I call it the fasting strategy. I agree about not calling it a diet

Not to hijack the thread but I also prefer not to refer to the 5:2 plan as a diet. Strategy is a more accurate description for the way I am incorporating it into my daily life. I am doing this for reasons other than just cosmetics or appearance, expecting long term benefits instead of short term or temporary ones.

I use My Fitness Pal, but simply for the graphing function (weight/waist). I did originally use the calorie-counting as well, but I’ve since written my own scripts which make it easier than using the MFP website/app. I count calories everyday because I HAVE to. I put on weight if I don’t! Doing the fast diet enables me to eat more on non-fast days than if I didn’t fast (thus giving me more flexibility on those days), but the total I can eat in a week is unchanged. Note that I can be physically “full”, but still keep eating, thus the need to count everything anyway. Those who DO feel full when they’ve eaten enough are the ones who don’t need to track on a non-fast day (since their body tells them when they’ve had enough).

As for those saying this isn’t a diet, it is. A diet is what you eat, full-stop. It may be a PARTICULAR diet, like this one, or the South Beach, or whatever – maybe the seafood diet (“I see food, I eat it”) – but even if it’s not a particular one, what you eat is YOUR diet. Vets and palentologists use the word diet in relation to the foods that animals eat (herbivore, carnivore, etc.). If people have a problem with the word “diet”, then they’re using it to mean something other than it’s dictionary definition!

I like the fact that it’s a free app and I can scan barcodes using my phone–makes it a lot easier for me to keep track of 500 calories on fast days. I ignore the rest of the bells and whistles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.