My Fast Blog: The Good, The Bad and The Hungry!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
My Fast Blog: The Good, The Bad and The Hungry!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• PRESENT POSITION: It is 8:31am and I am about to embark on my third fast day. I am already feeling pretty hungry. If I’m honest, there’s a huge part of me that already wants to give up for the day. There is a canteen downstairs and I could have a delicious bacon roll in my hands in less than 5 minutes! BUT, I sit here with my water finding strength through knowing that tomorrow I can have that delicious bacon roll, minus the big side of guilt that I would feel if I ate it today!

ABOUT ME: I have struggled with my weight since childhood and it has been a constant pattern of weighty ups and downs (sadly more ups!). In short, I have little willpower and a pretty unhealthy relationship with food (or maybe “an obsession with food” may is a better way to put it!). I have never managed to stick to any diet beyond a few months and I am looking for an option to last for life!

The fast diet appeals to me as I only have to obsess about food twice a week and even then it’s pretty straightforward as I just need to focus on NOT eating it. Then best of all, for 5 glorious days of the week I can (within reason) relax and enjoy food without guilt.

RESULTS SO FAR: So far, it seems to be working! I stuck to my two fast days last week and ate pretty much what I wanted on the days in between*, including a takeaway and a little too much wine on the weekend! The result: 2lb off. Okay, it’s not a huge loss and I have lost more in a week doing traditional diets. BUT-and it’s a big BUT- I only really felt like I was dieting for 2 days of the week and so I really cannot complain!

*up to 2000 calories per non-fasting day!

I don’t know if this will be read by anyone, but at the beginning of writing this I was leaning towards getting that bacon roll! Now, I feel determined to get through my fast day, so blogging may be the thing to help me out when I’m on the struggle bus! If anyone does read this, then please share your tips, tricks, successes and failures… there is something to be learned from all of them!
    Until next time … HAPPY FASTING! x

Kate
    Well done on resisting the bacon roll today! I started 5:2 5 months ago and like you I’m enjoying only ‘dieting’ on 2 days a week. Previously done every diet invented and could lose weight easily enough but couldn’t maintain as the pounds found me again every time I came off the diets. The great difference for me with 5:2 is that it just doesn’t feel like a diet, just the way I now naturally eat. So far I’ve lost 17 pounds and I am close to my goal weight. Maybe not the quickest weight loss I’ve ever had but certainly the best in terms of sustainability. I’ve been participating in the monthly challenges on this forum and that helps me to keep me on track on fasting days.
    Hope 5:2 works well for you. Good luck!

Thank you for the comment MissyBear. Nice to hear from someone who has been doing it for a while and is having success. Do the fasting days get easier when you just do them for 2 days a week?

Hey Kate,
    I am a newbie too! Just started 10 days ago. Congrats on losing 2 pounds! I’ll keep checking in on you, so you keep posting! 🙂 I joined the November challenge and have been posting there every day and it has been very helpful for keeping me on track.

Hi Kate
    Yes the fasting days get easier the more you do. My days are Mondays and Thursdays, it suits me to have a break between them but some people prefer consecutive days. This way of eating is very much trial and error to find out what works best for you – it isn’t one size fits all. I’m doing Michael Mosley’s Blood Sugar Diet on 5:2 so I allow up to 800 calories on fast days and I am still steadily losing weight. The pay off the the higher calorie fast days is that I follow the Mediterranean style eating recommended every day – but its all food I like so it suits me well. Don’t be afraid to experiment and find what suits you best.

@kate. Its got very little to do with will power and a lot to do with the foods you eat and the hormones that are released as a consequence. Try and eliminate all added sugar foods. Cakes, cookies, chocolate, ice cream, soda etc. That’s a no brainer. Then there are “sugar” foods that you wouldn’t think are problem foods. Modern breads as they are made are essentially a sugary treat. So that bacon roll you want. Its the bread that’s the bigger problem, not the bacon. Try and cut out any processed grain based food. No bread, no breakfast cereals (pure junk), no pasta. No fruit juice (pure junk).

The sugar withdrawal is tough for the first month, it gets easier after that.

Eat real foods that don’t come in a packet and the task becomes a lot easier. Lots of veg (no potatoes), some fruit especially the berry type fruit, lots of beans and legumes, some meat and fish. Some real cheese and nuts like almonds walnuts brazil nuts (not cashews).

If you choose to eat healthy foods more times than not you will be successful. Bring your lunch into work, that way you know exactly whats in the food your eating. The perfect snack if you must have one. A granny smith apple. Lots of fibre, low calorie content and will keep you satiated for a few hours.

The diet works, like all diets!! The difference is this one is doable for the rest of your life. Im a male, went from 202 to 154 and have been in maintenance for nearly 2 years now. Good luck.

Good luck to MissyBear, Kate, and Leggit. Having done the Fast Diet for 4.5 years, I can attest that it works and that it gets easier. And as you reach your goal, remember that this is a Lifestyle, not just a temporary thing.
    Keep us posted on your progress.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.