Motivation please

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jollyjo 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Every day I start on a positive, by lunchtime I crave chocolate and because I gave in I think sod it, by tea time, and have a glass of wine and then it really goes down hill… This seems to be the merry go round of my midlife crisis. I need a friend “makes me think of the Harvey and Rabbit advert” to MOTIVATE me…… I START THE 5:2 Diet tomorrow and look forward to reading your support xxx

Hi skinnyjeans (great name!)

I believe quite a few of us have been there: the intention is good but it goes out of the window when you see something yummy. I can assure you…I love ice cream and would kill for it.

Nevertheless, believe me, it gets easier with a little bit of time and once you see some results either on your scale or the “skinny jeans” suddenly fit again, you will be over-joyed and you might get hooked.

If you browse this forum you will see numerous different ways of how people approach this way of life.

I have been on it since the 6th of November. I started with calorie counting (pretty boring)which gave me an idea of how much and what I consume in a day. There are some great apps out there for your phone or tablet that can help with it. Myfitnesspal or LoseIt! are great to keep track of your calories and exercises should you want to do this.

Also, I did not follow a strict 5:2 diet, but change it to my needs. 5:2 is the minimum I do but quite regularly I do 4:3 or like last week ADF (alternate day fasting). I also do 16:8 pretty much on a daily basis, which means no food for 16 hours and the consumption of food is within an hour of 8 hours. This is pretty easy for me as I try to eat my dinner at around 6pm and then my next breakfast not before 10am the next morning. I did this because I know that xmas is coming and that I will want to eat the one or other yummy thing.

In the long run though I want to settle on the 5:2 as everything else is a bit complicated to keep up. The trickier part for me is not the fast day but to NOT over-indulge on the non-fast days. As said…I love ice cream!

I am sure you will find your way rather quickly. One last tip perhaps: on my fast days I do not eat anything until dinner. It seems to work better for me as once I put a tiny salad in my body my stomach seems “to wake up” and it cries for more.

Try to set tiny goals and it seems much easier to achieve them.

All the very best and let us know how you get on with it.
    Stef.

I spent weeks saying “I couldn’t fast!” And “0nly 500 cals? Are you having a laugh”. 3 weeks ago I decided to give it a go. I’ve lost weight and inches and feel better for it! Your head has to be in the right place to start – but if you’re there… Go for it! My advice: drink plenty of water throughout the day. It fill you up a bit. The feeling of ‘I’m starving’ is mostly psychological and passes really quickly, especially if you think positively. My first week I lost 1lb and nothing the second week BUT I’d lost 6cm of tummy! Last week I made a good weight loss. Just remember if you lose 1 lb a week that’s 52 lbs in a year! Let us know how you get on.

Hi Steff, 16:8. OMG that sounds mad. But on reflection….16 hours of nothing, so tea/dinner about 6pm, breakfast at about 10am, lunch at “lunchtime”. Tea/dinner at 6pm….. That sounds good, For me it is about not having the glass if wine and undoing the good work. Than you for your reply

Skinnyjeans, what about cutting out the glass of wine on fast days? Or at least be honest and calculate the calories within your “budget” of 500 calories.

I decided to cut out my beloved (full sugar…) Coke. I have stopped drinking it altogether when I started this way of life. I also stopped drinking coffee, as I hate black coffee without sugar. I don’t eat bread, but I do eat carbs and replaced the bread with Ryvita.

I am sure you will get there!
    Stef.

Go at it Skinny, you’ll do great! I’m sure of it! And if you don’t, well, just come back here for more motivation. Also have a read around the forum, the stories on here are really inspiring and you may even pick up some ideas for food (or not having food) you want to try out yourself.

Today is your first day, isn’t it? How’s it going?

Thank you all for your comments and I was actually excited to start so I can share my success tomorrow, Started the day with a bowl of porridge, quite nervous about this afternoon as today would usually be a well earned hot chocolate and biscuits in the woods with a bunch of kids. I will just have to drool. My my son is making fennel soup for me to have for tea so I know I will be within my 500cal.

Having hot chocolate and biscuits in the woods with a bunch of kids… Sounds interesting. Maybe the fresh woodland air will help you clear your head off food?

Hehe… Hot chocolate and biscuits… I love those! Unfortunately I had to cut them out though as my biggest problem is to know when to stop. There will never be just one piece of chocolate 🙁 I am pretty good in not eating it at all, but once I get the taste for it it’s very hard to stop.

You might find as quite a few of us did, that not eating at all during fast days until dinner is easier then distributing 500 cal over a couple of meals.
    What actually really helps is to drink tons of water. It seems to kill the hunger.

Anyhow wish you a very good week and good luck with your fast days!
    Stef.

I have survived the day and actually didn’t feel as hungry as I thought I would.

I need to be more organised on Thursday with evening meal so will freeze homemade soup in batches because the temptation to scoff kids food was amazing. I did eat two thin fries but I’m not going to let that worry me today.

Think I also need to drink a lot more water as I have a headache but that’s probably because I have not had my usual 3-5 cups of fresh coffee and I’ve had no alcohol tonight.

Felt the cold today working outdoors, will take herbal tea bag next time, but have had a hot bath and I think this has also made the evening go quicker

Yay! Way to go SkinnyJ! It’s not as tough as you imagine it’s going to be is it? I bet you are proud of yourself- if not you should be! If Tuesday and Thursday doesn’t work for you maybe do an extra non fast day between your fasting days. I find Monday and Thursday work for me .. We are all different. A huge well done! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.