Migraines and digestive issues

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Melinda_in_NC 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I’ve found that since I started the 5:2 three weeks ago my migraines have increased. It could be from other sources (usually hormones, weather, and dehydration affect me the most), but I kind of ruled those out after the first week. In addition, I’ve had diarrhea either on my fasting day or the next day. You can imagine, I’ve been a little miserable since this began.

To figure out if it really is the fasting, I may cut the fast day down to one day per week for a few weeks and see if the symptoms continue. I just started a yoga regimen and hope to begin walking regularly.

The one thing this diet has taught me so far is that I can go awhile without eating whereas before, I thought I might faint or die if I was hungry and didn’t eat anything, haha.

My main question is has anyone had any luck adjusting the diet to help with these side effects? It’s so disappointing, but I really don’t see the benefit in making myself miserable twice a week just to lose the weight.

I had the diarrhea the first week but I found more protein less veg and not to much water made a difference and I have been fine since.
    As for the migraines you might find that you are not drinking enough water as my step daughter gets migraines when she doesn’t have enough water. Don’t forget you normally get fluid from food and if you are not eating much you need to drink more.

I definitely didn’t eat very much protein yesterday. I guess I’ll also have to figure out how to not have too much water, but just enough to stay hydrated.

I can try upping my protein and see if that helps.

Hi Groddluv, As a lifelong migraine sufferer, I get headaches if I don’t get enough water, so do take quite a bit on fast days. Do get diarrhoea occasionally. Otherwise have adjusted to 5:2 ok.

most fish is low in cals but good protein, I have salmon or smoked haddock on fast days, although not every time as that would get boring.
    Sometimes I even have haddock fish fingers. (lovely)

I just wanted to echo your statement, Groddluv, about how liberating it is to find out that you can go hours without eating anything and not pass out or die! I used to be so fearful and anxious about not being able to get food every 4-5 hours. Now I know I’ll be fine. That also happens on my non-fast days–I don’t feel the need to bring snacks with me.

Good luck on the migraines. I get them occasionally and know how terrible and debilitating they can be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.