Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,801 through 3,850 (of 5,077 total)

• Good Morning!

Up at 5AM this Saturday morning and having my first cup of coffee. I woke with a headache and am hoping the coffee fixes the situation. I have to be at the golf course by 7:30 both today and tomorrow. A 2 day tournament ahead of me. Fingers crossed for a good couple days so I don’t let my partner down.

I’m working on getting my head in the right place for a 5:2, low carb, restart. I’m got to get the rest of this weight off. I haven’t been feeling my best for the past week since giving in and eating more carbs and not doing any fasting. It really does make you feel better when you stick to plan.

Safe and happy travels Sherry. I know you’ll have a wonderful time.

Cinque…what are you up to this weekend?

Elizabeth..how is the elimination diet going? I admire your resolve to do something like that. Huzzah!

Ok…off for some breakfast and another cup of coffee. The headache is hanging on 🙁

Hi ladies! On plane getting ready to head to Paris- was envious of those 1st class passengers with their nice fold down bed seats as I got in! I’m in a 3 person row with two strangers somehow ( full flight) with my back against the bathroom wall! Oh it’s going to be a LONG overnight flight! And we have to hit the ground running as soon as we get there & drop off luggage at hotel. As u all kno I’m a horrible last minute packer so I only got 1 hr sleep last night to boot! Oh well, stop whining, right? I’m going to Paris! 😉 Wish me luck girls that I partake of all the goodies on this 3 1/2 week trip within reasonable amounts! Look forward to catching up with I all when I return!
    Bon jour!
    Sherry

Hi Cindy and welcome:

The average weight loss for those on 5:2 over time is about a pound a week. So you might expect to lose 16 to 20 pounds in four or five months. You could speed it up a bit by doing 4:3 or even just water fasting on your two diet days each week. Your goal seems realistic.

Here are some tips that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Sherry.. I think you will have arrived by now. Enjoy Paris to the max.. a wonderful city.

I continue to lose weight slowly *hurray!) and am beginning to see numbers that I haven’t seen since 2012! I waver around that number of 81.8 Kg, the weight goes down then up tantalisingly, but it now seems doable that I might be under 80Kg by my birthday at the end of August (which, incidentally, was my target last year). I am feeling hopeful now.. wish me luck girls.

Salma

Salma! This is just what I needed to read this morning. Seeing someone else having success gives me hope for myself. I have no doubt that you will make your birthday weight goal.

I, on the other hand, have managed to pack on 3 lbs in the past week. Sigh…I’m not surprised as I have had a “don’t give a damn” attitude for days now. Today is my first fast day in a long time and I know it’s going to be rough. I haven’t said no to myself for weeks. I’ve played 3 days of golf in a row and this morning am heading to boot camp. That’s going to be rough too! I have got to get myself in line. I’m feeling bloated and pudgy and just blah.

Welcome Cindy. Take it a day at a time. The links Sim provided will point you in the right direction.

Sherry….what a grand adventure you are on! Have a wonderful time.

Time to get this day started. I must prepare to be HUNGRY!!! 😉

Hi Lori,

Listen.. I was in the blah place for so long. I had lost 11 Kgs and regained 7!! I am FINALLY beginning to see the weight go in the right direction. There were many times I almost quit.. but thanks to you guys, I stuck it out.
    3lbs is nothing! You will get rid of them in a couple of weeks. Look at the time when you did not say no to anything as a recuperation time and now you get back on track. In fact, this Sunday, I gave myself a total day off and had a good breakfast with a huge ommlette, a croissant (big), jam, brad, cappuccino, the works. I feel better for it. Today, I am back on the straight an narrow. We need to sometimes let the guard down and be easy on ourselves.

Good luck.. I am sure you will make it.. you are an inspiration to all of us with your waking up at the crack of dawn to do your boot camp and your golfing. It is all I can do to get in 6 or 7 thousand steps in a day.

Have a great day.
    Salma

Hello, ladies!

Welcome, Cindy! Good luck to you.

Salma, hurray!!! Such wonderful news to hear. I’ve found that once I’m on a roll, things usually fall into place so I have no doubt you will reach your goal.

Lori, you are indeed an inspiration to us with your exercise. You will also get back in the swing with 5:2 but I’m guessing you are quite fit and look great. For me, a bit part of the problem is the flab! I’m not sedentary but I rely too much on walking and light weights and yoga. I need to step it up!

We have had the most gorgeous weather here the past few days. My husband took our daughter and her cousin backpacking and then we went to my inlaws on the lake. The full moon with the solstice is tonight.

The elimination diet is okay….I haven’t lost weight which is a bummer!!!! I have had modified FDs but I haven’t quite wrapped my head around the double wammie of being restricted and having low calories. It’s a bad excuse so maybe the week it will happen and I’ll make a ton of progress! At the moment I’m a pound or two over the transitory low I hit a few weeks ago. On the other hand, I didn’t gain going to my inlaws which is probably a first. My husband was saying how he didn’t feel so great, haha!!

Have a great week, everyone!

Hello Everyone,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHERRY! I hope you are having a ball in Paris!

I have been so busy with the Soup Bar, and I missed being here!
    I spent the weekend working on it, and then on Monday it happened. It was lovely, with lots of happy people eating delicious soup, or having some to take home. We all put in so much extra work, so we need to work out how to make less work of it next time.

Lori, do be kind to yourself! How about you just ease on in with 5:2 and then start your other strict things one step at a time? Those lovely lardy bits can just gradually say farewell!

Salma, congratulations to you! You will love your birthday at under 80!

Carolina, I hope you have had a lovely Summer Solstice! We are enjoying the winter one in a ‘Hooray, the days will start to get longer again’ kind of way!
    Is the elimination diet the fodmaps one?

Best wishes all! Happy Solstice!

Good Morning!

Happy Birthday dear Sherry!! Hope you’re having a fabulous time!

Despite a good 5:2 day on Monday, the scale is up another pound. I shall not go near that horrible device until July 1. For the next week, I’m just going to listen to my body and make good choices most of the time. I’m letting the scale dictate how I feel and I do not like that at all.

2 boot camp sessions in so far this week and another planned for Friday. Going to try for a run/walk tomorrow morning, weather permitting. Tuesday our run/walk had to be cancelled due to a thunder storm and more are predicted for tonight and tomorrow. 🙁

Cinque! Congratulations on your Soup Bar success! I’m sure the people are loving it. I’m sure you’ll streamline the work so that it is not so hard next time. Practice makes perfect!

Hugs to all!

Hi all,

I posted on a different thread (ladies of a certain age) but then realised this is the forum I have been posting on before.

Anyway, what am I doing wrong? Fasted religiously 2 days a week for a month and no weight loss. Am exercising so could be muscle, but it’s not like my jeans are falling off me, so no inches loss either, it seems.

Yesterday after trying to fast I had a violent attack of hunger and over-ate massively. Today I will give fasting another go but I am starting feeling depressed and despondent (the eternal winter and constant rain her in the UK is not helping) and on the verge of giving up.

Any help and suggestions will be gratefully received. Thank you.

No, no no no Cterinacate.. don’t give up!
    We all go through this period when nothing seems to be shifting the weight no matter what you do. If anyone knows about this, I do!

I can tell you that, for me, 5:2 worked brilliantly for a while, then I started getting a bit complacent on nonFDs and probably ate more than I should. I am now doing window fasting (fasting 18 hours,eating 6 hours) but I am also logging what I eat in Myfitnesspro(.com) it has shown me that I vastly underestimate what I eat normally or, in fact, what I consider to be normal. So, I am re-educating myself about quantities in particular. Since two months ago, I started to see my weight go down again. It had been one whole year since that had happened!! I would go down a couple of Kgs, then up again.. up/down/up/down. Very very frustrating. I almost gave up several times.. but please don’t.. stick it out.. there is no way it can’t work if you arrive at what works for you.

If I were you, I would forget exercising for a couple of weeks and focus on the fasting aspect. Even for a month.. after you start seeing results, start re-introducing exercise. This is for purely psychological reasons.. when you exercise you get even more hungry, and it does help(psychologically) to see the numbers go down. So, by all means exercise for health, but try to focus on getting the eating right. I walk wherever and whenever now, but will try to re-incorporate other forms of exercise slowly. Frankly, when nothing was working, I quit exercising especially when I my hip got inflamed.

Lori, Sherry, CC and Cinque.. it is so nice to see your posts.. we all seem to be very busy. Cinque, I am so happy for you and for the success of your adventure.. do keep us posted.

Salma

Hi Salma! Glad to see a post from you. How are things going?

I’m up and ready to go for a run/walk with a friend. Not my favorite thing to do, but I have to get ready for the 5k in September.

I’m struggling with my eating right now. I get SO hungry and tend to give in. I’m doing my best and will weigh in again on July 1. I’m hoping this starving phase soon passes. One day at a time.

Off I go to get this run over with. Have a good day everyone!

Hello Everyone,

Caterina, I am so sorry you are having such a frustrating, demoralising time. No wonder you had a big binge eat yesterday.

One thing that might make you feel better is to read Simco’s trousers story: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

I know that lots of people have this problem and there are many reasons. (So interesting to read how you worked it out Salma).

Fasting has worked easily for me (so far! touch wood and whistle) and I have wondered why. I think there are three things that have made it easy.
    One is that I cut out sugar several years ago, and that means I don’t get the cravings and spikes.
    The second is that I have found it easy to keep to fast days. This is partly because I have a very quiet life. I can really prioritise fasting.
    The third thing is that I have concentrated on making NON fast days really good normal eating days. ie normal portions, delicious healthy food, healthy snacks, but not every day. I’ve been surprised how much mindfulness and practice goes into having a nice normal eating day!

Being in the forums I have been really interested in seeing how everyone has to make their own journey, and many journeys have been more complicated than mine has been. It is a trick to make sure that 5:2 isn’t like a fad diet. That is, concentrate less on deadlines and scales, and more on how you can make it a sustainable way of life.

Hopefully, being on the forums will help. Lots of the things other people say won’t be relevant for you, but some will. (Or something outside will trigger a realisation and then when you tell us about it, it will help someone else!).

Best wishes that tomorrow is a much better day. Hang in there!

Hi Lori, thanks for your good wishes and confidence in our next Soup Bar. I think you are right! I hope it was a good run walk! I love them! If it wasn’t for this horrible me/cfs that is what I would do for fitness. Especially in the Australian bush!
    Your days are frustrating too, I hope you find your feet again soon!

Cheers to you Salma! Good points re exercise. I can’t exercise because of illness and 5:2 is working fine!
    Have you been able to have a settles time at home? Or are they hurtling you across the world again?

It is the end of my Thursday fast day, and I am off to bed. Best wishes all!

Hi there!

Caterina, I agree to take the exercise down a notch. Another thing to try is to avoid sugar/carbs and salty things like soup and chips a couple of days before you weigh. I knew salty stuff put on water weight, but I didn’t fully realize how sugar does this as well. On FDs, I generally eat low carb or even no carb. Of course it’s not the long term answer but it helps to see a little progress to motivate you to keep going.

Cinque, you sound like you’re in a good, balanced place right now. That’s awesome!

Salma, keep going. You are almost to your goal! I’m so jealous.

Lori, hope you enjoyed your walk/run. Having a friend makes it better, right? Good luck finding your groove again…..

I ended up with a modified fast day yesterday. We are getting snacks for my daughter that are okay for the diet–lentil chips, etc–and she wants me to try them and then I end up liking them better than she does, haha. I also had a slip up at dinner. But I’m pretty close to where I was before my son’s visit/end of school year stuff. I need to do better exercising today! Maybe I’ll make it to yoga….

Thank you all for your kind and informative replies. Today was meltdown again, I need to rethink what I am doing and how. I have already dropped one exercise session this week. Tomorrow might be an easier day for me, see how it goes. Will let you know.

It is so very reassuring to hear others’ experiences! Thank you again!

Goodmorning everyone,
    It is ‘day after fast day’ and I love the feeling!

Caterina, When I began fasting I found it really easy, but a couple of months ago I had a bad stage where my snacking crept up, and I was having too many sweet things (I am so sensitive to sugar that ‘too many sweet things’ was raspberries and watermelon 🙁 ).
    Then it took me a few weeks to get back into really good 5:2ing. I just concentrated on making each fast day as ‘strong’ as I could, and each one seemed to put a little more distance between those carvings and disordered eating. Now I am back to finding it easy, and finding that hunger pangs are just interesting feelings that are quite easy to sit with.
    Fingers crossed that you will find the same.

Hi Carolina, those tricky daughters! I hope your next fast day is a good one! So glad that you are heading in the right direction!

I think I am in a good balanced place (just touching wood and whistling again!) so I will really enjoy it.

Best wishes everyone

cravings, not carvings! :O

Good morning ladies..

I woke up to the very surprising news of Brexit.. I am sure this will affect a lot of you, both those who live in the UK and/or abroad. What a shock.. I really did not expect it.

It is so nice to see more activity around here. I am afraid I have been somewhat negligent, but I have had a lot on my plate recently (not food). I have had to go and stay with my mother as my dad is travelling for 3 weeks. It has been rather exhausting, particularly as my son has also arrived and is staying with me. So, I have to run from one house to the other in addition to work coupled with the HEAT and HUMIDITY that I find suffocating.

Isn’t it awful when we go through those phases were we get fed up and think.. forget it! Boy have I gone through that in the past year. Yesterday, I had a scoop of – good- pistachio ice cream after a hefty dinner. I know I should avoid such temptations, but life is for living, right?

My weight has been steady for a week now, but I am hoping it can be convinced to go down a notch or two this week. My work continuous to be arduous and my colleagues entrenched in their old ways. This job is turning to be a lot more difficult than I expected and even more frustrating. I am not sure about travel plans, Cinque, but I expect a lot of travelling starting August. In the meantime, I am looking forward to the family re-union near Corfu in Greece for 8 days. That should be fun.. even my two sons are coming, which is a miracle by itself.

Have a great day everyone,
    Salma

I’ll send you some of our hail and icy winds Salma, to give you a little refresher!
    I was awake in the night and listened to this radio show http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bestpractice/ and the ‘incivility in the workplace’ one made me think of what you are having to deal with. Luckily they said that one thing that can help when work is awful is to make sure your private life is great, and while caring for your parents isn’t in that bag, your family reunion in Corfu should be! So glad your sons are going too!

It was a shock and a worry to hear about the UK decision! I guess we will see what happens next.

It is the day before Fast Day for me. I am making my favourite chicken and mushroom dish. And I am minding my granddaughter overnight, that will be fun.

Caterina did you have a better day? Or not?

Best wishes to everyone

Hello???

WOW…we must have all had a busy weekend as there hasn’t been a post on our little forum since Friday. As for me, I spent the weekend playing golf, as usual. Some good shots and some VERY bad ones. Yesterday’s round felt more like work than fun….that is not good. I really ate whatever this weekend, so my restart weigh in on Friday the 1st may not be good. It will be what it will be.

5 days to work this week and then I have a long weekend. My sister is coming Thursday night and will stay till Tuesday, so I have that to look forward to. We’ll run around on Saturday and then I may drag her to the golf course with me Sunday or Monday. She can drive the cart!

Thinking of you all and hoping all is well.

Hi Lori, hasn’t it been quiet!

Hello any Mid Fifties or fellow travellers out there! Pop in and share how things are going!

I had a very busy weekend with grandtot, still trying to do all the follow up from that Soup Bar (yes I am THAT slow) and start planning for the next one. And it is freezing here (comparatively!).
    Ate too many nuts last night! So I am not hungry this morning. I will have a sensible eating day (she says hopefully) and an early Fast tomorrow (a day early) as I have a confusingly busy end of the week, and don’t want my fast to suffer!

Have a lovely time with your sister Lori!

Hello girls! I am on a tour bus on my way to Córdoba /Andalucia & then Seville by day’s end. We’re having fun but oh my, it’s been tiring. Typically with all the activities & then coming back to the hotel late at night to let my daughter shower & then myself, I’m not in bed till 12-1 am. Of course we’re up early at 6 am to hit the road at 8 am.

To recap, we had 3 days in Paris & many tours including the Louvre, Versailles, etc. but no Eiffel Tower since there was a big soccer championship going on at the time & a lot of people partying there making it unsafe for our students. Next was 3 days in Barcelona- my do I love that city & it’s wonderful architecture! Much more diverse & interesting housing compared to that of Paris! I could see myself living there. Did lots of shopping/ strolling/eating there. I know we did other things, but honestly I’m so tired that I’m having trouble remembering ! 😖 The last two days we were in Madrid- toured bull fighting arena, Prado museum, & our girls had a flamenco lesson yesterday afternoon & we saw a flamenco show last night. It was good for them to have that lesson, realizing how hard it is to learn to dance that way & then see it done professionally! Has a yummy paella dinner last night. Still hoping to have the chocolate churros that the tour guide says we must try! Maybe tomorrow?

My eating on this trip has been ok for the most part. Some days, like yesterday , we walked the entire day so I could pretty much eat what I wanted, no problem. Then there’s days like today where we’re traveling ALL day on the bus & you don’t get to move much & you’re on the go so the food options aren’t as healthy/varied . I’ve been trying to eat eggs & fruit fir breakfast at the hotels, and when possible, salads w/protein for lunch & whatever they’re feeding us, including dessert, at dinner. So far so goid- clothes aren’t too tight yet!

This tour, with the school group, ends Friday after 2 days in Costa Del Sur. The school group goes home & Chiara & I head to Italy for 13 days! This is where I need to be a bit careful! Gelato, pasta, pizza! All my favorites! Hopefully we’ll be waking so much it won’t matter! 😉

Lori, Caterina- hoping you find your groove again soon. Lori, I don’t know if it’s this way for you but when I work super hard to lose weight for a vacation and then get home, I tend to gain because 1) I wore myself out a bit being so strict prior 2) there’s the let down after being home/back to reality 3) i got used to eating si many good things while on vacation after having starved prior that I don’t want to stop! Hoping that doesn’t happen to me after this one! Right now, I’m feeling desirous of a couple good fast days, do we will see!

Salma, SOOOO HAPPY for you that you’re doing so well & losing after your long struggle! You’re right, we all just have to keep plugging away I matter what & sooner or later we hit our stride! You’re living proof of that!

Cinque, congrats on the successful soup night! I’m happy it turned out so well!

Hello to everyone else & please forgive my typos! I blame the bumpy bus & my exhaustion! 😖😘

Oh, & thank you for the kind birthday wishes! I spent my 53td at Disney Paris! 🎂

Good morning ladies.

Sherry.. oh my! I got tired on your behalf. I find that continuous moving around when on holiday is just exhausting. I personally prefer to visit one city at a time and just tour around it going back to home base, as it were, at night. The continuous packing/unpacking gets to me. However, I guess if one is visiting Andalucia, there is no escaping that. You sound like you have really packed in many things on this trip. I am hoping that Italy will be a little lazier and you will be able to rest a bit in the sunshine, gelato in one hand and a glass of dry white in the other.

Lori.. I hope you have a grand time with your sister.. I am so envious that you are edging towards retirement and wish I were there too. How is the boss situation coming along?

Cinque.. so proud of you about the Soup Bar.. what an amazing achievement, particularly when one considers that you are suffering with CFS. It would knowck the stuffing out of anyone, never mind someone with CFS to contend with. I am sending you a huge virtual hug from sizzling Lebanon to icy Australia (icy Australia just sounded weird!).

I have been very sick with some kind of food poisoning that made me feel like death warmed over for the last two days. I had to stay home from work yesterday and am still not feeling 100% but slowly getting over it. The silver lining is that I have not been able to face food and have been eating very little. The scale this morning registered an unprecedented (for the past 4 years) 81.1 Kg. I know that this is probably temporary, but it is nice to see. I have an appointment with the nutritionist tomorrow so we will see what her scales say. Getting to under 80 Kg now seems achievable and oh.. so close within reach. I just hope that my body doesn’t get as stubborn as it usually does and allows the shift downwards.

Warm wishes for a great day to everyone.
    Salma

Sherry!! What an amazing trip report! I can’t imagine being away from home for that long….how on earth did you pack??? I hope you and your daughter enjoy your 2 weeks in Italy….how could you not? Sounds like you’re doing well on the eating front too.

Salma…so sorry you’ve been sick. Food poisoning is an awful thing. Let us know how you make out at the nutritionist. She should be pleased with your progress.

Cinque, each time you do the soup bar, the follow up will be easier. You’ll get in the groove! Hope your weather moderates soon. Your “freezing” is probably like a Spring day to me! 😉

Off for a run with a friend this morning. Glad I’m meeting her or I would probably say the heck with it and sit here in my chair!

Take care everyone!

Just toured the Mezquita, Salma! Wasn’t that the place u mentioned I should see while in that region? Just beautiful!

Hi there Sherry! How lovely to read your news! I hope you can get the occasional quiet day, they are precious! But what a wonderful time you are all having!

Salma, sending best wishes you are feeling better soon. Let us know how it goes with the nutritionist! I am sure you will get under 80kg even without food poisoning! I hope you have some nice respite from the sizzling weather. Still cold here, but I am getting used to it, and enjoying rugging up!

Thanks to you and Lori for such understanding and kindness about the Soup Bar. We are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss and plan the next two, and it is just lovely how supportive everyone involved in it is.

I will try to do some planning now!

I am Fasting today (Wednesday) and Saturday this week because of so many things on to work around. All organised though. Enjoying today so far!

Best wishes all!

Hello, ladies!!!

Sherry, your trip sounds amazing. You are inspiring me for ours. Any tips for packing, etc? We leave in about three weeks. I kind of wish we were just going to Iceland but it will be good for our daughter to see the area where my husband travels so frequently with work. We will have a lot more room changes than I like but I don’t plan on another overseas trip for a few years so I’ll get through it!

Salma, fingers crossed you keep heading for your goal!!! I would love to see in the 166 range before our trip….or at least be firmly under 168. My goals are so small but it’s so much better than inching upward constantly.

Cinque, you must be getting lots of positive energy from the soup project! Good job.

Lori, hope you had a great run with your friend. You always inspire me!!!

I’m feeling less than productive here. We are still trying to sort out my daughter’s issues. I’ll spare you the details, haha, but we’ve had some doctor appointments and meds that brought more problems than help. I hope we can get to a decent place by the trip! I’m not as worried about the breathing, though, since it does seem to be linked to the reflux. I think she became hyperaware of breathing when it was bad and she would exert herself and feel irritation. Now it’s hard to let go of that–her lungs sound perfect, her heart rhythm is normal and her oxygination is perfect. Anyway, between her issues and the trip and making decisions on our kitchen and trying to get a little work done, I’m spinning wheels a lot!! I’m not good at multi-tasking!

Speaking of kitchen decisions, do any of you have induction cooking? I am fairly certain we’re going with gas cooktop and electric oven but I know induction is really hot right now.

We are still doing the diet, too! I’m only halfway doing fast days but I’ve lost a little bit, which is good. I feel if I step it up just a bit I might make my goal before the trip. I need to do that!!!

Hi girls, had a lovely day in Sevilla! Just beautiful there with its gorgeous palace & cathedral & orange tree lined streets! Went w/a group of moms & girls for tapas & salads at lunch & waiter rolled his eyes & said we were ordering too much to eat & on his own decided to cut out some things from our order! Good thing he did because it was WAY too much even then! The tapas were bigger portions than we thought! I had an ice cream that I didn’t really need later because another mom was- oh well! I’d done a 35 flight hike up a zig zagging steep ramp to get to a bell tower earlier so I guess I’d earned it. 😉

Elizabeth, I’m the worst person to ask about packing tips, but what has really helped is that. I purchased some netted/canvas type packing cubes on Amazon that have really helped keep us organized- shirts in one, bottoms in another, etc.- especially since we’re on the move every day or two! As it is, I’m thinking of shipping some stuff home before I leave to lighten my expanding (with souvenirs) load!

Just passed the Rock of Gibraltar! So cool! Should be in Costa Del Sol/Malaga soon. Adios!

Have fun, Sherry!!! I’m trying not to freak about our trip. It’s as much getting everything ready on this end. I hate leaving my house/pets/son on another continent. Ironically, I got some of those cubes for my son before his trip and he left them here, so I’ll put them to good use, hopefully.

I haven’t been technically doing 5:2 very much with this elimination diet. I need to, but I’ve felt so scattered. I think if I could get my act together I could see below 167 before we leave……

Good morning everyone,
    Sherry it is so good that you have been able to come here and share news. Hooray for the lovely tapas waiter! Seville sounds beautiful. I was in Spain briefly when I was 21. We zapped through Barcelona so quickly I missed all Gaudi’s architecture, but then we had the most wonderful stay at Peniscola, down the coast.

Caterina, I hate that feeling of being scattered and trying to prepare. Deep breaths! Write lists! I hope you can enjoy your time away, and then enjoy coming home to your pets and your place.

I don’t have induction cooking, but the kitchen where we do our Soup Bar has. I find it so frustrating that we have to find different pots! But I know many people love induction stoves.

I’m off to take deep breaths and write lists myself! Then I am having lunch with family. Fast day tomorrow!

Just popping in to say hello to y’all
    Weight creeping up.. I must watch it, but there is so much stress at work this week. I have another major meeting with the board this Saturday 🙁
    Wish me luck girls.
    Salma

Good luck Salma! Stress at work seems to be going around. I can’t get out of my job soon enough. Salma I hope everything works out for you. Take a deep breath and know you’re doing your best.

My sister has arrived! I have to work till 1 or so tomorrow and then I’m free for the weekend.

Have a great time Sherry! What a wonderful trip!

Cinque…good luck with your project. It will all come together I’m sure.

Have a good weekend.

Salma, sending you lots of good luck for the board meeting!
    Take the opportunity to practice non eating stress techniques, if you know of any! 😉
    As soon as you have a moment to catch breath, let us know what the nutritionist said.

Have fun with your sister Lori!
    I had lunch with 2 of my sisters yesterday (and nephew, daughter, granddaughter and brother in law), but we should have got takeaway instead of eating at the busy loud shop and me up and shadowing the granddaughter as she decided she needed to stretch her legs every 5 minutes.

I’m fasting today (Saturday), instead of my usual Sunday so I can have lunch tomorrow with friends. Best wishes to everyone else having a fast day, or for a wonderful normal eating day for those of you who are not fasting.

Phew!
    All done with the excruciating board meeting. I stayed up all night last night preparing for it and all god intentions with regards to food has gone out of the window. The meeting went very well, thankfully.
    As for the nutritionist, my weight has not gone up, but it seems that the “fat” has by 700 gms; how is that even possible? Either her machine is bonkers or I am.. these things are so infuriating. Still, I guess I should take my own advice and take these changes in my stride.
    Let’s hope things start moving again.

Cinque, I hope your FD went well today and even more that you have a grand time with your frineds tomorrow.

Lori.. enjoy your sister and the gold. I hope you have glorious weather.

Salma

Hi Salma, so glad your meeting went well. Congratulations.
    Weird about the fat percentage, but never mind. Recover from the stress related days and head on down to the under 80’s!

I had a really good fast day (and a very nice eating day today!). My granddaughter is not 100% and gave her mum a shocking night last night. So I have her tonight, and had better get to bed before she wakes crying (again).

Best wishes all of you! I hope it is a good day!

Ahhh! Just lost a long post! 😖 To quickly recap- had 2 nice days in Rome seeing the major sites and then 2 days in Sorrento with visits to Amalfi Coast, Positano and Capri ( saw beautiful blue green grottos-not the blue grotto that most know, but lesser known just as nice by private boat – had a wonderful farmhouse tour including olive oil, mozzarella & pizza making lessons. Then we had a home cooked meal & Italian dancing with everyone taking part- so much fun (especially after a little house made wine & limoncello!).

No such luck that this tour is slower paced- we’re up even earlier each day on this tour, but there’s a lot to see & so an early start is necessary. It’s good too for my lazy daughter who wouldn’t get up each day if it was only me trying to wake her each day!

We’re off to Assissi now & then Venice tomorrow.

Cinque, hope your granddaughter feels better soon! It’s tricky when they’re young & can’t really tell you what is wrong.

Carolina, hope you’re able to pack without stress! The cubes should really help out- give them a try!

Salma, so glad your meeting was successful! Now on to less stressed eating, right? You’ve done so well & come so far!

Lori have a great time w/your sis!

Well, I’d love to say my eating has been going well but it’s been very carb-ish- sometimes there’s nothing else available when the tour makes quick stops but sandwiches or pizza! Oh well- all I can do is try my best! I have had gelato twice though! It was good but somehow not as good as I remember?

Talk to you all soon! 😘

Hi Sherry!! Love your trip reports!

I had a nice long weekend with my sister, but we ate too much and now are not feeling our best because of it. I’m hoping I remember how “icky” I feel when I’m tempted to overindulge the next time! Sis is heading home today, so it’ll be back to “normal” at mi casa.

Had fun playing golf this weekend, but didn’t set the world on fire with my score. Oh well, it’s all about the fun, right? 2 day tournament coming up for this weekend.

Busy at work with month end reporting and trying to teach my boss. Sigh……he has 3 interviews today. Fingers crossed that the perfect person walks thru the door.

Have a good week!

Quick jump on for me!

Salma, don’t lose sight of your goal. I’m sure that’s annoying advice but so often I make progress and then totally lose it.

Cinque, hope you get a good night’s sleep. Your daughter is lucky to have your help!

Lori, have a great time with your sister!!!!

Sherry, we are starting to pack a little…..going to Iceland is complicating things a bit as we’ll need decent jackets. I looked at their weather and it should be in the 50s but there will be no true night, just twilight!!!

We are now adding foods back on the diet. Eggs went fine as far as I can tell but my daughter didn’t feel as well after eating corn and nuts so I’m putting a question mark by them. Of course it could be something else…so frustrating! But it’s great to have eggs. If I could have cheese, I think I could almost do this indefinitely. We’ll add soy next and then gluten and dairy. Sugar will be last, but it’s not a potential problem per se…just increases inflammation etc. Anyway, I was doing really well with weight but lost it a bit with potato chips. Since they’re one of the few indulgences we can have it’s tempting to just keep eating!!!! Also it’s been so muggy I haven’t walked as much as I need to. Must get back on the wagon….less than three weeks until our trip. I don’t want to be a fat American. I want to be a skinny American like Sherry, haha.

Good morning, lovely to read the news!
    It is still very cold here and I am behind with everything, and I have a cold. I think that is what was upsetting my granddaughter too. Not a bad one, but still!

I’ll just write a note and then get back to trying to catch up with things.

Sherry it sounds like the most wonderful tour! And it is interesting how your tastes have changed. I hope that if you are stuck with breaddough choices… they are good breaddough! Ah well, re the gelati, keep tight the memory of the wonderful ones past!

Lori, Oh dear that boss! Good luck!
    It is interesting what a long road it is to learn to eat appropriately. First on your own, and then with friends (or sisters)!
    I have four days between fast days because of moving my fast days last week, and I am really noticing how hard it is to eat ta normal amount. I snacked too much yesterday (cashews!) so I will have NO snacks today. But will probably have to promise myself a snack tomorrow?! (It would be ok if I just had one small healthy snack, but I have trouble stopping!)

Carolina, welcome back to eggs and corn and nuts. Good to see your daughter being able to find some suspects. I so hope the big long process turns out to be useful for her!
    I bet you have an amazing time in Iceland, in the wonderful twilight!

Best wishes!

Hi girls,

On the way to Verona to see the Romeo & Juliet balcony (fake of course as it is just a made up story ) and then on to Venice and our gondola rides later.

I had a poor night’s sleep. I always let my daughter shower first each night and then i shower so I tend to get to bed later anyhow- well, for whatever reason, she slept like a crazy person, throwing legs, arms, pillows in my direction for most of the night until I finally grew tired of it and separated the twin beds that were pushed together. Ugh!

So of course I’m tired and this adds to what I’m about to say, but have any of you had serious doubts as to how you raised your children because I’m seriously not liking the person I see my daughter becoming! I’m sure traveling with her for over two weeks exacerbates the situation. I’m finding her very immature and self centered, more than I’ve ever noticed. She’s complained a fair amount when I’m sure must kids would love to have been in her place-I know I would have at her age! Anyhow, another mom on the tour had similar complaints of her teen and said people tell her it’s ” just the age”, but I’m not so sure. I have some serious re-thinking to do about how she’s being raised! Thanks for listening to my rant!

Elizabeth, so interesting to hear about the elimination diet! Not sure how I missed the reason you’re on it? Was it for your daughter’s health issues? I’m glad you’re starting your packing early- is it 50’s during the day? What about night? Ha ha on me being a skinny American! Maybe at the beginning of my trip but not feeling that way so much now! 😖😉
    Lori, I agree! Why can’t we remember how bad eating too much junk makes us feel before we eat it?! That would solve all our problems! You’ll get it together again as we always seem to- don’t beat yourself up over it ( I’m trying to do the same here!)

Cinque, so sorry about your cold & for your poor little granddaughter too! 😟 Hearing about your struggles with snacking rings a bell with me! It’s. So easy to fall back into bad habits isn’t it? Btw, the bread is good in Italy but not as good as France to me . Of course I never met a thin crust pizza I didn’t like!

Ok, signing off for now! Have a great day all!

Hi Sherry,
    you are talking like you have a 15 year old daughter! (14,15,16)
    I remember! I thought I was a failed mum.
    My heart goes out to you!
    But, even though you can’t believe it, it will be alright. And while your rude, selfish, nasty, lazy daughter will be driving you up the wall, please know that she is a scared-brave woman-child who needs to become separate from you, because you and she are so close. The best you can do is to try not to dislike her, and even though it is difficult, try not to be too hard on her. Despite appearances she is extremely vulnerable to what you say.

(If someone had said this to me when mine was that age, I wouldn’t have believed them either)

Sending you best wishes, you deserve a medal every day!

Cinque…….I LOVE your response to Sherry. It is right on the money! The teen years are rough, that’s for sure. Hang in there Sherry……you are a great Mom!

Well…..they have hired my replacement!!! Hooray!! She will start on July 25. Now I just have to impart 31 years of knowledge into a bit over 2 months! OY!

Have to go to the dentist after work for my semi-annual cleaning etc. Sure hope they don’t find any problems. Not in the mood for too much probing etc.

Have managed to get my eating back on track from the weekend. Also I’m back to working out as well. Onward we go!

Hugs to you all!

Thanks Lori, 🙂
    I still get amazed when my daughter tells people that we have always been really close!

Woot for the work replacement! The end is in sight!

Good luck at the dentist! And cheers for getting your healthy eating mojo back.

My cold is even worse today, and I am fasting. I think I will cheer myself up with a second pot of coffee.

Best wishes to all you mid-fiftiers and those thereabouts!

Oh Cinque….so sorry you’re feeling poorly. Make that 2nd pot of coffee and enjoy it. Hope you have time to just rest today too.

Up at my regular early, early time. Going running with a friend at 5:30. I’m quite sore from yesterday’s boot camp workout. OW! Lots of shoulder work with dumbbells.

Time to finish my coffee and head out the door. Not really “feeling” it, but here I go!

Feel better Cinque.

Good morning girls,

Oh Sherry.. My heart went out to you. Teenage years are HORRIBLE.. I suspect for the teenager as much as for the parent. My two put me through hell, each in his own way.. But we have come through it and I am still here to tell the tale. Both are now wonderful young men who tell me they are amazed at how I put up with all of it. Never doubt yourself. We can only do the best we can do.. And our children are so lucky to have caring loving parents who are around. Here in Lebanon, with the Syria crisis, we have over 1.2 million Syrian refugees (over 22% if the population!!) There are so many street kids with no protection who get abused in so many ways.. There are parents who put their kids out on the streets to beg, or worse b cause that is the only way to survive. Thank God our kids do ‘t have to go through any of it. We are great parents who love our kids very much and do the best we can. Of course, instilling values and dicipline is also important, and as Cinque said you would be amazed how much they ‘hear’ from us despite acting to the contrary. Hang in there. It gets better.. Much better!

Lori.. Thank goodness for the new employee, eh? Now you can get your lackluster boss off your back. Only a couple more months to go.. I am so jealous.

Cinque.. I hope your cold gets better. You have been rather busy recently and maybe should take it a bit easy.

CC thanks for the encouragement. We have a long holiday bere for Fitr ( the equivalent of Easter) and I am taking myself off to the beach for 3 days. I booked myself into a hotel and intend to do nothing more strenuous than lie on the beach with a book in one hand and a cold drink in the other. I have had a rather stressful time recently and want to totally unplug. I have a big 8-day family reunion in Corfu mid July (which may be fun but is likely to be anything but relaxing) but really feel that I need some alone time. I leave in a couple of hours and am so looking forward to it.

My weight iss hovering around 82 kg. I was hoping to have pulled it down another kg or so, but no such luck. After my mini beach holiday, I will do a one week detox before Corfu in the hope of offsetting any pitential damage. I NEED to be below 80 for my birthday end of August.. This is my promised gift to myself this year.

It is nice to see everyone here again.. I miss you vuys when it goes all quiet.

Salma

Ps please excuse typos.. I am typing on the phone which is always a pain

Hello….

Sherry, my daughter is doing the diet for her reflux–to identify problem foods–and I figured I may as well too! I managed to lose a little weight without really fasting but now that we’re adding foods (cashews!!!) I have to get back in the groove. Also, I have to share that my son went to boarding school for his jr/sr year. It took me all of one day to think boarding school was the. best. thing. ever! People always guilted me about it but I think it saved our relationship. It was a STEM school for really bright kids who can also be really REALLY difficult. When he was at home we were always in an adversarial relationship so we ended up talking MORE when he was in boarding school. I’m not saying you should send your daughter to boarding school, but I do understand how you feel!! My daughter has occasional snarky moments but she is a people pleaser and still adores me, haha. I’m hoping we’ll stay friends and I did my time with my son!

I’ll have to pop on later to catch up with everyone else!

Salma, enjoy that mini holiday! I hope those extra two kilos just melt away on the beach!

My cold did turn nasty, I am waiting to see if today is better than yesterday. Yesterday was horrible.

But it was a good fast day yesterday.
    I have managed to burn this morning porridge already, so I am going to make some flatbreads instead.

Isn’t the Syrian situation awful, and how hard to see the difficulties people are suffering, around you every day. Although to my country’s shame we are keeping any refugees who get close to us in dreadful offshore camps and try to pretend it is nothing to do with us.

You’d think it would make our own kids grateful and appreciative! But not so much!

Carolina your solution of the boarding school reminded me of how, when my daughter was that age, I suddenly had great insight into some Asian cultures who marry their daughters off at 13 to a boy in the next village and get the mother in law to bring her up the rest of the way! 😉

Best wishes for today!

Hello…..

The Syrian tragedy is so troubling for everyone involved. As you know, it’s not bringing out the best here either.

Hope the cold improves, Cinque. The boarding school worked because he wanted it and it was perfect for him. We just supported him, but was it ever nice!!

Salma, hope you are recharging!!

Lori, congrats for exercising even though you’re not feeling it. I am not doing so well and the thunderstorms aren’t helping.

Have a nice weekend, all!

Thanks Carolina, the sneezing seems to be gone, but the nasty coughing has begun. At least there is sunshine today!

Oops, re the Boarding School, I do understand that it was your son’s best interest, and his choice. A bit different to marrying off your teenagers to the village down the road! (Though that might be their choice too).

I’ve got a confusing Fast Day tomorrow. I haven’t been able to get to the shops to buy chicken for my Fast Day staple: chicken miso soup. That was okay on Thursday because I had some veggies and made a lovely veggie soup with chicken stock. But I still haven’t got to the shops, and a friend is coming tomorrow to stay the night (down from the country and off to see an art exhibition on Monday) and she has offered to cook me dinner on Sunday. I said yes before I remembered it was Fast Day. I am sure it will work out, as she has had lapband surgery and just eats small amounts, and so I will too. But it does my head in to have my nice little routines messed around with.

Oh well, variety is the spice of life! I will let you know how it goes.

The last couple of days I have given up trying to listen to my body, and instead decided to be a bit regimented with a meal, and then wait three to four hours for the next meal. I am finding that my hunger comes along exactly like it does on fast days. Really hungry in the afternoons, and a bit hungry after my evening meal. So as far as my brain’s concept of whether I am full or not… every day could be a fast day.

I read some research that once you have been overweight with mixed up messages about satiety it takes a year of sensible eating before our brains get back to normal. SO, next week is one year since I began 5:2. I think I will concentrate now on one year of eating what I know is a good normal diet (on non fasting days), and then see at the end if listening to my body works for me or not.

Cheers everyone!

Viewing 50 posts - 3,801 through 3,850 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.