Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,001 through 3,050 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi all! Sorry to have been awol these last few weeks. In a bit of a turnaround, I was very good with 5:2 over the holidays and then spent the last two weeks in Milena’s layby. Today looks to be my first fast day of the New Year.

Cinque and Lori, you two have been so faithful and your posts popping up in my e-mail remind me to get back at it.

It’s been well below zero (Fahrenheit) here the past week. Yesterday’s high was -3. That’s about -20 for those of you on the other side of the pond. I find the weather exhilarating, but my elderly dog does not. She runs about enjoying the snow and then suddenly freezes into a statue. I have a can of water in my garage that is my “canary in the coalmine.” Each time I go out I give it a shake. So long as it’s still liquid I don’t have to start up the auxiliary heater to keep the pipes from freezing.

Today most of the country is on holiday for Martin Luther King day, but we are not. We have a candidate on campus for computer science, so I will be busy, watching him teach, meeting him, then a dinner with the department. I’m saving all 500 cals. for that dinner.

Hope you’re all having a good day and sending you each loving thoughts.

MM

Thanks for taking time to pop in Salma! I assumed you were busy with your new job.

MM…good to see you again! I love your “canary in a coal mine”! 😉 We have been cold, but not nearly as cold as you. Unlike you, I don’t find the cold exhilarating….I find it annoying! I want to be out walking the golf course, not bundling up like Nanook of the North!

Boot camp was tough this morning, but the hip is better. It was definitely a sore muscle thing and is improving..thank goodness. Of course, what we did this morning will not help the muscle soreness! Yikes!

Later!

Hi all

MM, I’m not too far out of the layby myself, two fast days down this year, not doing one today, as there was coq au vin to finish! Soup tomorrow then Thursday liquid and Friday a normal fast day!

Read somewhere that it is a good idea to take photos to show weight loss! Must dig out the ones I took last year and look to see how much damage I have done. Ne’er mind, back in the saddle, walked today for the first time in months, OH has been watching Michael’s stuff on fat around the stomach, so he is a man on a mission, probably a good thing, though he will undoubtedly go into ‘holier than thou’ mode!

travel hopefully …………………..

Hello hello,
    Lovely to have people back after the holidays. Sorry for the people coping with miserable cold. And too much drinking 😉 Thanks for the lovely feedback and cyber hug.

I forgot to answer Sherry’s question about whether there is anything hopeful on the horizon for CFS, and the answer is that they are finally doing more, better, properly funded research, but it goes in all directions (mitochondria, stealth viruses, auto immune issues and so many other possibilities). Have to be patient and let them work!

Plenty of sun here, the heat canary at my place is how liquid the coconut oil is!

Milena, I just love that this thread has its roots in Foodies Anonymous! Thanks Salma! I am so glad the Coq au Vin was so delicious, and I am very glad that you are giving yourself Sundays to eat for your pleasure. Very sensible!

I am getting ready to cook my first ever Chili con carne (after years of cooking ‘chili sans carne’ on account of being vegetarian). Mmm yum.

I hope your computer science candidate was a good one MM, and that your hip heals quickly Lori, and that Sherry can shunt all the kids off for sleep overs just for one night!

I’m going to do a Wednesday Fast this week since Thursday is full of eating out.

O and I bought the new gasket for my coffee maker. Silicone now so it will be much harder to melt! I’ve had three coffee free days which is good, and will have my coffee tomorrow as a special fast day present to myself.

FD for me today..I had a bit of a melt down yesterday and went chocolate crazy. Sigh! This was an episode of bad behavior by a friend which always makes me sad even when I know the intention is not a bad one.

So, consequently, I am hungry at 11 a.m. and wondering if I am going to last the distance.

Ah well.. tomorrow is another day.. but today FD it will be.

Salma

Good Morning!

Taking an unplanned day off boot camp as I had a restless night. I went to bed early, as usual, but Miss Kitty decided she’d like to go out at 10PM. I got up and stayed up while she was out because it is very cold and I didn’t want her to have to be out all night. She came to the window in about 20 minutes and then we went back to bed. I had a lot of trouble getting back to sleep and decided then and there to change my alarm to a later time and forget about boot camp today. Tomorrow is another day.

I had a good fast day yesterday and after a week of low carb eating with fast days thrown in I have seen a number on the scale that I have not seen for years. I am down nearly 5 lbs in just over a week. This is amazing to me as I have been stuck at the same weight for so long. I’m hoping this new low holds until my official weigh in day on Friday.

Cinque…hope your chili was yummy. That sure sounds good. I’m making a new recipe tonight that involves sweet red peppers and roast beef with provolone cheese. I was going to make it last night, but just wasn’t feeling like cooking. Tonight it will be! I have to plan my lunch. I think I’ll have crab salad with some cheese “crackers”. I just make the crackers by putting a pile of shredded cheese in a silicone dish in the microwave for a minute or 2. They are quite good.

Well, time to get this day started. Hope you all have a good one!

Hi girls,

Just a quick check in! Not much new to say. MM, glad to see you are alive and kicking! Best of luck in the new year! 🙂

Cinque, so glad there is some positive moves in the direction of helping people like yourself with CFS. Again, praying for you! If you can’t make it to Hawaii, I may just have to make it out your way some day to do that cooking with you! 😉

Salma, don’t we ALL have those crazy chocolate eating episodes?! What does this “friend” say or do that caused the craziness? Maybe if this happens frequently you need to minimize contact with this person!

Just got back from a bible study my friend convinced me to go to entitled “letting go”. I’m supposed to give it all to God instead of trying to control everything! Will be totally awesome if it actually works for me (particularly with the kids!).

Just finishing up my 1 week detox cleanse today. I’ll weigh tomorrow and see how successful I was. Though, I actually didn’t weigh before I started, which many of you know is typical of me because I’m a scaredy cat when I know I’ve been naughty with my eating! So, I won’t actually know how successful I was. I do know I feel a lot better, lighter and the clothes are looser so I guess that’s what counts! Susie, did you finish your juice fast yet?

Lori, Congrats! I know someone else last summer on this site said they lost a lot quickly by combining low carb with fasting. Was it Beldy? Anyhow, whatever works, right? How many carbs are you eating per meal or daily? Do you limit them on fast days as well?

Counting the days till the hubby returns next Monday. Something major always breaks around the house while he’s gone and there’s almost always computer problems that only he can solve. The good thing is these problems make me more self-reliant since he’s not here. My son and I put the dishwasher back together last night after the arm that sprays water fell off (it was NOT an easy task!), and I did fix a problem with the emails freezing up with the hubby’s guidance over the phone! So YAY for me (ha ha! someone has to pat me on the back!).

Have a great day girls! Love ya!

Sherry

Sherry

you do know that you are awesome!!!!

I know what you mean about being more self reliant when the other half is away! When he is around I have been known to wake him up at 3 am, just to tell him the computer won’t do what i want – if is isn’t there to wake up, I just sort it out myself – and I have become quite computer savvy over the years!

Car ALWAYS breaks down when he goes away, though I did impress him once when the cam belt came off! Managed to attract an RAC man – pretty good as I was in a car park off the main road, got him to enrol us (of course it was one of those time OH was deciding who to go with – hence no one!) and got him to take us to the garage – and the guys in the garage felt sorry for me and did the repair immediately! Though he did moan that I phoned him while he was driving for the credit card details – RAC wouldn’t take a debit card!

Tell me more about the detox – niece is having an engagement party in 3 weeks, so into overdrive – fast day went well, 450 calories, lovely chicken soup – doing a two day fast later in the week, and OH is now reneging on the fish and chips on Sunday – just cos I asked him to make some tartare sauce! No stamina!

Lori – brilliant loss – it does seem out fat REALLY hangs around, glad you got rid of so much!

Salma, hope you lasted – though does chocolate count as a problem? – never knew, thought all the calories in chocolate were cancelled out by the fact it is amazing and essential to life!!

Cinque, hope the chilli went well, did you know you can add chocolate?

(Its a good job there is no chocolate in the house, otherwise my 450 calories could have gone south!!)

I add a tin of baked beans, makes it go further and thickens it well. Love the stuff!

Have a great day tomorrow – today Cinque!!!!

Hi to everyone else!!!

Milena! Thanks for the kudo’s! Yes, men are a tad essential SOMETIMES! 😉 I think I’d go nuts if I re-typed the detox cleanse. I posted it at the bequest of MM sometime between Thanksgiving (end of November) and mid-December. It does take some prep/cooking/juicing, but is very worth it in the end. They suggest a 4 or 7 day. I’m tough 🙂 I do the 7 day-Good luck! Let me know if you find it in the posts and decide to do it!

Sherry

Salma there was some cosmic thing happening, even I went chocolate mad. Luckily I seem to have had very little in consequences from it. I hope it is the same for you.

Milena, my Chili Con Carne recipe was very basic and fine, but not outstanding. I had black beans in it. No chocolate.
    I did badly with accompaniments. I made rice and cooked it with some coconut milk (that needed using up) but it didn’t go well with the beans (yummy without them though, can’t wait til my fast day is over and I can have some more). Plus I have heaps of chinese cabbage and carrots and I have been making fabulous Asian salads. I decided to have the shredded cabbage and carrot and make a yoghurt dressing, but its flavours clashed too. (Or am I coming down with something?). Foodies Anonymous fail.

Give it all to God Sherry? Poor God! 😉
    Still, it is always good to let go of stresses that aren’t any use to us.

Cheers for your luxurious day Lori, and may Miss Kitty give you a break tonight. I bet the rest day is good for your hip. Have fun with the auditors at work!

Hello everyone else! Best wishes for a good day!
    Fast Day here, but somehow I am managing to fit in a second pot of coffee. Bliss. After three days without coffee I am finding Fast Day no deprivation AT ALL! 🙂

Hi girls, just wanted to touch base. Been of the wagon. Tons of stress and work. Now 2 serious jobs. I will read all your posts. Promise
    Hope you are ding well. Sending wishes that you are thriving incredibly.
    I am hurting all over and just have to go back to fasting.
    Love you all
    m

Lori! Down 5?? Amazing, well done.
    I am down a little this week- just 1 but am still pleased after my heavy w/e.
    Sherry- I only did 2 days juice then decided to keep the third day supply till the next week and now am doing juicy FD every week. I make the two days worth of juice on a Monday am and keep it all in the fridge till I need it, I have 3 juices thru the day then a veg soup small portion for dinner. If I am really hungry I eat a carrot or other veg and maybe a couple of dates. I don’t know the exact calories of all that but don’t think it can be much over the 500 – did mail the juice people and they suggested adding up the coals for all the ingredients but as I discard all the pulp I don’t think that is very accurate. I do enjoy my juicy ‘mini detox’ days, probably best to do them back to back but depends what is happening on the days. Susie

Good Morning!

Makica…glad to see a post from you, but sad that you are hurting. Hope things improve for you soon.

Sherry, I don’t really count carbs. Most of my carbs come from veggies and little bits of sauces etc. I do eat cheese, which has some carbs and natural peanut butter. I would guess that I am well under 30 carbs most days. Yes..I have been doing it every day and then on the 2 fast days I count calories. Last week I did keep track of my macros to make sure I was in the right ball park, but haven’t done that this week. MFP is great for that. If I stop losing, I will track again to see where I’m making my mistakes.

Cinque…I don’t know how you can go days without coffee!! I am severely addicted and if I don’t have at least a cup in the morning, by about 2 in the afternoon my head hurts so badly that it feels like there is a knife stuck in my brain! Not fun! I usually have about 4 good sized cups a day….most before Noon. I switch to green tea after I’m thru with the coffee and of course, I’m drinking water throughout the day. Oh, and let’s not forget my cup of vinegar water first thing in the morning! 😉

Made it back to boot camp this morning. Since I missed Tuesday, I’ll have to go 3 days in a row in order to get my 4 days in this week.

We are on high alert here for a big snowstorm coming Friday night into Saturday. Forecasters are saying anywhere from 4 inches to a foot plus. They really have no idea at this point which way the storm will head. The worst will be the wind blowing the snow and making the house cold. I will be in hibernation all weekend.

The auditor is not causing me too much trouble. Just needs a report now and then. I believe he’s here thru Friday.

I’ve been dealing with a headache since I woke up this morning. Boot camp did nothing to alleviate it, I’m afraid. It seems to be fading a bit now……fingers crossed.

Have a lovely day friends!

Hi Makica,
    Things do sound very stressed and difficult. I hope you can make time to look after yourself. You are important! Sending best wishes. Thanks for popping in and letting us know how you are.

Susie,
    I love fresh juices! My favourite used to be carrot and apple, with maybe a bit of orange added in. Enjoy your juicy detox days!

Lori,
    I am drinking my morning coffee as we speak. I think I am like those heroin users who go through withdrawal just for the delight of being able to start again. Omg it is wonderful.
    But I know from decades of experience that I am best with a couple of coffee free days a week. That way I never get to the point of having those dreadful headaches and that flat dull feeling. This time I was thrust into it when I melted the gasket in my coffee maker (stove top machine, that I accidentally put back on the flame after emptying it).
    In spite of having only 2 coffee free days in the last year, I didn’t get too dreadful a headache, but that made me decide to ride out three days. On the second day I bought a block of dark chocolate! And ate it! That’s the sort of dreadful thing that happens if I go without coffee!
    So next time I say I haven’t eaten sugar for 5 years you can come on and call me a liar!
    The third day was fine.
    But having coffee again is MARVELOUS!

I also had a great fast day yesterday. As I got near to having my early afternoon miso soup I realised I wasn’t really hungry enough for it, and so waited til the evening. I hope it is my new fast day routine as I must have had less than 300 calories. It felt like a proper fasting day and I am feeling good this morning.

Coconut rice and a pot of coffee for breakfast. lovely.

Best wishes all on your day! Or evening! Or night!

Top ‘o the day to you girls!

I have to be quick because I’ve got to pick up the kids from school shortly. It’s been a blessing that my son has had his Lion King (he’s Simba, I think I told you guys) rehearsals 3 days a week so I just keep the twins in extended care at school playing hand ball while he’s doing that. That saves me a trip and gives me extra time to get things done without them in my hair :)! He will be performing in 3 shows next week. I am anxious for him! Hoping he doesn’t get stage fright and forget his lines!

Makica! Glad you are alive and kicking albeit in a stressful way! Sending lots of prayer/positive vibes your way that you’re able to get through it in one piece soon and return to us! :)Hoping some is good stress related to getting your new business venture going which shall set you free some day soon!

Susie, the juicing sounds very healthy! Is it working well for you?

Lori, what’s the “macro’s” and MFP? Again, glad it’s going so well for you. Do you plan to gradually re-introduce more carbs when you get to goal?

As promised, jumped on the scale this morning. I’m about back to where I was prior to Christmas (125 lbs).I am pleased with that given that I had Christmas, sandwiched in between a snow vacation and a beach vacation and was not very “good” during that 3 week period! I was as low as 123 in early December and will eventually work my way back down there. In the old days, I would be struggling with an extra 10 lbs after the holidays so I’m doing a little happy dance in my chair right now!

Ok, off to get those kids~

Ciao,

Sherry

Sherry… MFP is My Fitness Pal website where you can enter food etc. When you enter your food, you can look at a report that shows your macros, which are the percentages of carbs, fat & protein in the food you entered.

Oh man…. I ate too much for dinner. No carbs, but too much meat. Blech!

Almost time for bed. See you tomorrow!

Hi all

Makica – hugs!!! Don’t let you weight be another stress, after all, it will still be there when you are ready to tackle it!!! Snakes and ladders, lass, an odd slide down a snake does no harm – practice pareto’s law when the time is right – you know the hair shirt, the halo and and saying to chocolate ‘get thee behind me’ – and you will be back on track in no time. That’s the beauty of 5:2, as a way of life, it fits into your way of life. Hope the other stresses subside soon!

Cinque – what an interesting variation of 5:2 – my idea of tweaking is to use stewing steak instead of mince – you open up a whole new world!

When I lived on my own I used to make chilli a lot – and was often perturbed by the fact that very often the kidney beans, which started whole, would become half beans, I would leave the pot cooking, I always use a frying pan, have a portion and leave the rest to cool before putting it in the fridge or freezer for another day. The kidney beans would somehow split in half – most odd. Sometimes it didn’t happen until it was put in the fridge.

At least odd until I found my cat – my first burmese and the most intelligent animal I have ever had, sitting next to the pan, munching on the kidney beans!!! As he was well known for stealing food from the fridge, I can only assume he went in there to eat them cold. Good job I have had animals all my life and don’t get het up about germs.

Sure that wee story will put everyone off their food today – always happy to help!!!

Good Morning!

Oh my Milena…..a kidney bean eating cat?? That’s a new one. I once had a cat that loved peas and would always beg at the table when we were having them for dinner. 😉

A fast day for me and here it is 11AM and I’m holding strong. I’m going to have some beef bouillon around noon and try to hold off on my light lunch till 1 or so. Dinner will be very light as well and I’m saving enough calories for a 150 calorie smoothie this evening. I should be safely within my 500 calories.

Day 3 of boot camp in for the week, day 4 coming up tomorrow. I’m a tired girl till the end of the week, but it’s a good feeling to have accomplished the workouts.

Work is slow again and I haven’t heard a peep out of the auditor today. He’s leaving tomorrow, so I think he’s through with me! YAY!

Off to find something to get into. Have a great day everyone!

Hi Lori, same cat had been known to swipe stuff off my plate – could stare in the opposite direction, feigning a complete lack of interest, a paw would sneak across, snatch something and he would pounce and run! And of course there was Bobby who stood at the window wating for the ice cream man! Got sick on finding his face covered in ice cream as a licked through my sandwich – he eventually got his own tub – particularly liked monkey’s blood on vanilla ice cream!

Hope your fast day is going well, I’m doing a liquid, got a chicken carcase to make into stock when I get round to it – that will get the juices flowing – I’ll have a bit of the stock if it all gets too much, ate at 7 last night, hoping to last until 6 or 7 tomorrow, then just a bowl of soup. Will be nice to be down a bit, done three fast days since a week past Monday, lost nothing so far – luckily I’m used to losing in fits and starts.

Hi Girls!

And to think they say cats are carnivores! Yours are more on the omnivore side of the fence! Btw, Milena, what is Monkey Blood? All I have to add is a shi Tzu who used to beg for bell pepper strips and baby carrots! A healthy pooch that one!

Well, I’ve got two home sick today, the 15 year old was barfing all night and one of the 9 year old twin girls had a slight fever and sore throat (yesterday). The twin is the diabetic one and their blood sugar levels always go whacko when they’re sick, so even though she feels pretty good today, she’s my shadow so I can monitor her, following me out to coffee, pedicures (spoiled! but mom needed one so whatchya goin to do?), and my pilates appointment. Made her go to bed after lunch just to make sure she’s good for school tomorrow.

Not much else going on here…eating healthy, doing my exercise and trying to stay sane!

Hey, have any of you ever done one of those genetic testing kits? You spit in a tube and it tells you what regions of the world your genes are from (by %) and what maladies you might be predisposed towards. I got one called 23 & Me which is FDA approved and highly rated. I’m a bit afraid to do it and get the results (what if they’re really scary!?) but on the flip side, I may be able to then do something now to ward it off. My wellness coach advised I do this in advance of meeting with a naturopath in March so that she has the results.
    Anyhow, should be interesting!

Ok, toodles for now!

Sherry

Hi Sherry

Monkey’s blood is the red stuff you can have on your ice cream from a van – blood from monkeys of course – though someone once told me it was raspberry sauce, but I think they were lying!

I hate it when the kids are unwell, a small part of me really feels for them, a large part of me dreads cleaning up the sick, cos I wretch and have been known to barf myself!

Still on course for a full liquid only day, a little tea and a lot of water – 28 hours so far!!! Yay! And off to bed soon, so as long as I don’t sleepwalk, should be ok.

Good morning everyone,
    I need to be quick because friends might arrive any time.

Monkey’s blood is a very different thing here! It was the red disinfectant that used to be put on grazes and cuts: Mercurachrome: https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jy5cZ-IO0Eg?feature=player_detailpage

Not good on icecream!

Sherry! Crazy kid times! I hope the vomitting is over, and the sugar blood levels calm down. And that your son does wonderfully in The Lion King! There is nothing like seeing your little one up on the stage. Such pride and terror!
    Well, you know that when they are grown and flown, it will be times like this that get more and more nostalgic!

Makica I am sure you are keeping up with everything related to fecal matter 😉 but sharing this just in case http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/science/humans/article/2016/01/12/scientists-are-testing-whether-freeze-dried-faecal-pills-could-treat-obesity

Milena I bet you are right re the stewing steak. I’ll experiment til I get it right. What a cheeky cat you had! I can just imagine it picking off the top half of the beans.

Sherry my sister plans to get that DNA testing done, so we are all excited to see the results. Fascinating stuff!

Will go, I think I see my friends car. Three kids! Fun times ahead.

Best wishes fasting or not fasting!

Good Morning!

Just waiting to be called in to a safety meeting. 2 hours of the most mind-numbingly boring stuff you can imagine. Once a year we have to sit thru this and it is torture. Today’s topic is blood borne pathogens, I think. Sounds like fun, right?

4 days of boot camp done for the week. I’m wiped out. I’ll be spending tomorrow sitting in my recliner sipping coffee, holding the cat and watching it snow. They have downgraded the amount of snow we are to get, somewhere between 1 & 10 inches. That narrows it down, doesn’t it? Evidently, it’s a tricky storm to predict. Most of the heavy stuff will be south of me.

Good fast day yesterday, but the scale ticked up 2/10ths of a pound since Tuesday morning. No worries……it’s still a 2 lb loss from last Friday.

Hope you all have a nice Friday & weekend!

Hiya all!!

Today is my first anniversary on the 5:2 forums!!! Yay – bet you are all a bit bored with me!

Celebrating with a 48 hour liquid fast going into a 500 calorie feast – maybe less cos its chicken soup – at 7pm, so that’l be three fasts so far this week!

If only I was so good at this all of the time!

But still 42 lbs down, a whole 3 stone, though got to 52 lbs and did a huge slide down over December! My analogy of snakes and ladders is a good one – that was a bloody long snake!

But I am still here and so are you all – nearly at the first anniversay of this thread Salma – thanks to you for starting it! And I am likely to be around for months, more likely, years to come – without this forum I would likely be heavier than the 14 and a half stone I was this time last year! Just imagine, if we can do this, the hardest thing in the world, imagine what we could do to the world if we got around the table at the UN??????????

“Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour.”

Hi Milena,

It’s been a while…!

I’ve lost track a bit, but can I assume you didn’t do the bikini on Christmas day thing?!

I thought of you over Xmas though…watching And Then There Were None 🙂

Happy Fastiversary Milena!! This place is so empty when you don’t post! Congrats on a great weight loss and I look forward to celebrating with you when you reach goal!

Hugs!

I am 57 and started the fasting diet Nov 2014. Started at 76KG and now down to 67kg. It is not a quick fix. I did not find the weight fell off but it did come off over time. Sometimes 3 months same weight but the cm came off my body. I could never figure this at all????? I exercise lightly most days ie a walk with dogs ( not fast) a bikeride (not fast) or some yoga ( not energetically). My only problem has been myself wanting to lose the weight quickly but I realise the quicker it comes of the quicker it goes on. I did have a 4month holiday in Europe and did not do the fasting and put on 4kg. So when I came home I just started again and have lost all but 1kg of that weight again. I think it is a lifestyle that takes just your decision and being kind to yourself. There is always the next day if this day didn’t work out. Having said that I do try to stick to the Monday and Thursday as that works for me. Best of luck. I feel it is a worthwhile journey for me and I hope for you too. 🙂

Hi ladies,

I too want to wish a happy Fast Anniversary to Salma (our group originator) and Milena who started soon after! Despite the “snakeyness of your weight loss, you’ve done well and have a great attitude, Milena! I bet the difference in photos from this time last year to now is amazing to see! Like I said prior, normally this time of the year, I’d (and I’m sure you/most of us) would be up in weight, so YAY for us!

Salma, are you out there? Can’t remember…maybe you are on business travel this week?

Cinque, hope you had a lovely day with your friends! I’ll be interested to hear how your sister’s DNA testing goes if you’re willing to share!

Lori, hoping you don’t get totally snowed in and if you do, hoping you have all the necessities on hand to survive through it! 🙂 I heard on the news yesterday that there were aps/online places you could go to find someone to “hunker” down with during the impending snow storm if you were lonely (not that you need that, but thought it was hilarious)!

Eveyln, hello and congrats on your weight loss. It may be slow, but at least it keeps moving downward, sometimes in a snakes and ladders pattern, as Milena has stated! Keep up the good work!

Down in weight by 0.4 lbs today, so a success, especially since I’ve recently come off the cleanse and fully expected to gain a little! I’m wearing skinny jeans today and it feels good! 🙂

Fairly boring day around here. One formerly sick kid back in school, the older one still at home. Made a huge batch of healthy breakfast cookies (see Jane’s Healthy Kitchen website if you want that recipe-yummy-Cinque, you especially might like this one!) for quick on-the-go breakfasts. I think I’m going to also do as you’ve done, Lori, and make some egg and bacon muffins for breakfasts during the week since I have a hard time getting something healthy in me before I run out the door!

Sleep tight all (good morning to Cinque)!

Good Morning!

Up early to look out at the snow. Not sure how much we have, but it’s not too deep so far. It is a very light snow as it has been snowing for hours and not accumulated that much. I was up at 1AM to go to the loo and it was snowing then. I could tell when I woke up at 1 that it was snowing as it looked bright in our room. All the white outside makes it seem like it’s almost daylight!

No plans for the day but to catch up on my DVR recordings, especially Downton Abbey! I’m sad that this is the last season, as I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ll have to wait until the husband is out shoveling as he really can’t get into Downton. 😉

Scale is still creeping down. YAY! A few tenths of a pound at a time. I treated myself to a lite beer last night with my dinner of Caesar salad with grilled shrimp. So good! I’m hoping to be at my goal by mid-May when my sister and I set sail for Bermuda. No doubt I’ll have some “repair” work to do when I return from that 9 day cruise. OY!

Sherry…so glad your kids are getting over their sickness. When is your son’s first performance? I’ll be anxious to hear how things go for him…and you! You’ll be so nervous for him, won’t you?

Have great days!

Good morning everyone,
    The snow in the NE of USA is top of our news this morning so I am wondering how deep your snow is now Lori!
    Hope you are safe and comfortable. And that it is not the continuation of the mind numbingly boring things that happen to you!!!!

Hi Evelyn. Welcome here. Best wishes for a great time on 5:2 ahead. I agree with what you say about being kind to yourself. I find that 5:2 works because I can make it a sustainable part of life. I don’t ever feel deprived because I always know I can have what I want later.

I think I have missed saying HAPPY FASTIVERSARY THREAD! on the right day, because I was spat out of 5:2 yesterday evening when I was just about to write and had to get a new password. Waited til this morning and so missed the party!

Cheers to you all and thanks for being such a lovely bunch of mid fiftiesish women. It is great spending time with you all!
    Milena, I hope your next throw of the dice lands you at the start of a long ladder! The longest one!

Sherry I’ll let you know about the DNA testing (so far my sister has just said she plans to do it).
    I looked up the healthy breakfast cookies, and you are right that it is just the sort of recipe I love to hear about. It reminded me of Jamie Olivers recipe for breakfast muffins that I plan to try: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/sweet-potato-muffins/

No cookies of muffins for me today: It is FAST DAY and I am excited about my new regime of no food (just cuppas) until evening.

Hoping I might also clean my desk today (hours of filing, I fear!). Wish me luck!

Hi!
    Grand total of about 9 inches of snow for us. My sister got close to 2 feet! Weird storm with accumulation being so different within just a few miles. Just 20 miles from us got nothing.

Kept to my low carb plan, but ate too much out of boredom. I did watch some video on my Kindle, but lost interest in that rather quickly.

The husband will be busy tomorrow clearing snow from the ice skating rink at the park where he works part time. He loves it. He doesn’t mind the cold at all. Unlike me, I hate the cold!

Hope all is well with everyone. Hugs to all.

Lori, glad you aren’t snowed under. But even the blizzard is being boring to you! What is this? Boot camp or boredom! Lucky you have us interesting people to give life meaning!!!! 😉 😉 😉

Thank you Cinque! I have just finished my 4th fast day!!!!

This was a close one! I made the boys their roll and sausage, and decided upon a bacon roll, not ideal fast day food but cooking sausages for others on a fast day is perhaps a temptation too far! But had two bites and changed my mind.

Have decided on pulled pork tomorrow as I have heaps of work to get through and it takes 2 minutes to prep. Saw Magnums were two pounds for the classic and just 1.94 for the raspberry, told hubby to step away from the fridges and picked up a bottle of wine instead.

Had two bowls of soup, and a very small glass of wine, which took me to 500 calories.

Rest of the wine tomorrow. Yay!!!

Watched James Martin do a roast pork dish, doing that next Sunday – so I think I need to do well beforehand to deserve it.

Weighing tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Keep warm your snowed in ladies – very warm here for January. Hi of 13 tomorrow, mid 50s – might not seem hot for some of you, but we have whole summers colder than that!

Take care in the snow!

Hi, I am on my 2nd attempt at the 5:2 program. Started about 2yrs ago and was successful in losing the weight but not at sustaining the weight loss. So I am trying again with more determination this time around. Tomorrow will be day 1 as I’m still on holidays. Planning to fast on Mondays and Thursday’s. If i weigh myself in the morning and stick to the two planned fast days do I then weigh in again on Friday morning? I think I have been confused about the weigh in day after fasting. When do you weigh in?

Oh dear… Now I’m boring all of you with all my talk of boot camp and being bored! I’ll try to have something more interesting to say before posting again.

Geez, does anyone else get frustrated with this website? Usually I can just type in my password at the bottom and the box appears for me to type my message. This time, it puts me all the way back to the Fast Diet home page and I have to get in under the thread’s heading.

Good day here. Took a walk with the four kids, dropped the boy off at a birthday sleepover (they’re mainly going to a warehouse to shoot Nerf guns at each other and then have pizza! Ahhh, testosterone!), then took the remaining three out for dinner. We went to one of those all-you-can-eat salad bar places that also have soups, pasta, pizza, baked potatoes, breads, soft serve ice cream, etc. I felt very victorious in that I had some Greek salad, a mixed veggie salad with oil and vinegar, quinoa salad and some soup. I secretly coveted the soft serve with candy sprinkles my girls were having but stoicly abstained! I’ll probably gain tomorrow from the salty soup, so don’t think I’ll get on the scale tomorrow.

Well Cinque, I buckled down, filled the tube up with spit (yuck!) and shipped off the DNA testing kit today. It takes 4-5 weeks to get it analyzed. Fingers crossed there’s nothing scary lurking there!

Lori, yes, thanks! Nothing worse than a house full of sick kids. The last one is showing signs of sniffles-hoping it gets no worse than that! My son’s play is next week, Thurs. night, Friday morning, and Friday night. I’m nervous for him. Of course thinking of my own experience at 12 years old in junior high playing “Laurie” in Oklahoma and my first scene being Laurie entering by walking out the door of the house singing, “oh what a beautiful morning” – I was so freaked out I forgot to sing the “oh”! Nothing better that when the kids have friends sleeping over and mom comes out singing a line from that play in a very exaggerated way to embarrass them! 😉 We are a family of “hams” come to think of it! My son loves being the center of attention and the twins are taking a drama class. I have nieces and nephews in drama too. And no, you’re not boring! Talk about boring, I go on & on about my kids!

Milena, congrats on your success this week in the fasting and only taking a few bites of the roll-very mindful of you!

Best of luck GinN. Second time is a charm, right? At least you know this plan is do-able. Why do you think it didn’t stick for you? Just curious. Did you try to fast once a week to maintain the loss? I don’t know that there’s any rule as to when to weigh. Some of us weigh daily, some once a week, some once every 2-3. Just depends on what appeals to you!

Sherry

Cinque, forgot to ask, did you happen to check out Jane’s bio/story on the website for the healthy breakfast cookie recipe? I think you’d find it really interesting!

Ha Lori, you are SO not boring! And I get a delicious pleasure hearing the subject of your safety meeting!

Milena congratulations on 4 days of fasting! That was a powerful decision: stopping two bites into a bacon sandwich! Most impressive!

Hi GinN! Welcome here! I hope this time is just as successful and a lot more sustainable! I am getting closer to my healthy weight, so I am starting to think about maintenance. A whole new world.
    Are you having a good Fast day?
    ( I don’t weigh in. I just keep going – and watch my clothes getting looser.)

Hi Sherry, I hope your son had fun with the nerf balls! And congratulations on your healthy, restrained ‘all you can eat’.
    Very exciting to send off that spit sample!
    I went back and checked out Jane’s Healthy Kitchen and she was interesting to read about. however although I have cut out sugar, I am not into this modern version of paleo, it is much more contrived than I want to deal with. Although we might need to put some on the YamDaisy menu, when I get the community food cafe going! So I will keep the website as a resource.

I had a good fast day yesterday. And I hope to have a good normal eating day today! Best wishes everyone!

Hi all.

Sherry, I had the same problem as you. Got sent to the main page and couldn’t even find this group. Somehow, being logged on and then clicking on the second rather than the first link in one of the e-mails finally got me here. Do hope the play is going/has gone well for your son and that everyone is finally healthy.

Welcome GinN. I hope this second time works well for you. I haven’t been weighing myself at all. I feel like I should, but have just been going by how my clothes fit. I’m not losing much right now. I seem to only fit in one day a week. At least that’s maintenance and I don’t think I gained over the holidays.

Makica, Facebook tells me it’s your birthday. I hope you have a lovely way to celebrate.

Lori, how much snow did you end up with? We’re getting snow tomorrow, but it look like only 3-4″. I’ve been impressed with your losses and am trying to cut way down on sugar and carbs. Like Milena, I took a chocolate dessert in the cafeteria last week, took one bite and left the rest. It seemed ridiculously sweet and unappealing.

Cinque, so sorry to hear it’s CFS you have. And how wonderful that you seem to remain so calm and upbeat in all your posts. I’m afraid I’m not above a good whine now and then.

Good luck to all fasters tomorrow. I’ll be fasting too.

MM

I’ve never used email on this site, I find emails are the bane of my life – how do I get 300 messages in one day? I spend a hour a week unsubscribing to emails, doesn’t seem to make much difference.

I just log into the site, only probem with this is that I tend to read backwards!, but its very good for checking previous posts!

And there are photos on the site, if I could only work out how to do photos would list loads.

Not blummin’ likely! Can’t get my head around all the young ‘uns posing on facebook, and I haven’t even checked instragram. Life is just too short to be perfectly groomed all day every day!

Happy Birthday Makica! I hope it has been a great day!

Hi MM, does that mean you have CFS too. It certainly makes for a lot of whining, but I try to keep myself nice on here! 😉
    Luckily there are some good things in life, in spite of it.

I do love how our tastes change on 5:2. So long as I don’t accidentally start reversing it all by eating crap, it just gets better and better.

Ha Milena!
    I avoid emails too. I have my favourites marked and if I am being businesslike I go to my profile page and click favourites and go through them that way. If I am a bit bored I go through recent posts and get a glimpse of all the conversations happening!

Today I have a few things I need to do, but I am just making excuses instead. Feel a bit groggy (and I have already had my coffee 🙁 )

I’ll go and empty the dishwasher now it has finished. That will make me feel productive!

Hello!

So the twins were feeling a little sad/left out that they had nothing to do this weekend. Big sister went to Disneyland with a friend and big brother had his sleepover/Nerf war. They begged me to go to the San Diego Safari Park
    (an absolutely beautiful place) and so we picked up the boy from his sleepover and went! I count all that wandering around the park as my walking exercise for the day. The best thing we saw was a 4 month old baby tiger playing with/attacking a stuffed animal. It was very stealth-even at that young age!

Smart enough to prep some chicken paella and pop it into the crockpot before I left and walla! Dinner was done and smelling wonderful when we walked in the door! 🙂

Cinque, yes that Jane woman’s background and all the different things she’s done in her life and how she’s healed herself is amazing. Yep, I don’t go for the totally Paleo thing (but kinda bend that way) but many do so it might behoove you to add some Paleo items to your menu in the future.

MM, good to hear from you. Even maintaining is a win in my book, and the fact you didn’t gain over the holidays? Icing on the cake!

I’m with you Milena! Facebook, instagram, twitter, snapchat, etc, etc. There’s always something new my teenager is into weekly. The scary thing is we don’t know how to use it or control what they’re doing and as soon as you think you know, they change things up or have some way around you knowing! It’s awful for parents these days!

I want to also add a Happy, Happy Birthday to Makica. Still hoping to hear from you soon when the work stress eases up!

Time to hand wash the dinner dishes. You know that fix-it job my son and I did to repair the spray arm on the dishwasher? It didn’t stick and so now I’m washing dishes! Lined up all the kids the other night, me washing in the sudsy sink and them drying and putting away. One of my twins said, “oh, this must be what it was like in the “Little House on the Prairie” days (since she’d just read the book about the pioneer family)! Um, no- since they didn’t have running water! They actually thought it was fun due to the novelty of it! I had to laugh!

Sherry

Hi all
    had some chuckles catching up on the posts tonight and also felt inspired by the stories of your successes. Here is one I found today on our local news provider in NZ:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/motivate-me/76212140/nil-by-mouth-29kg-lost-through-fasting

I weigh myself everyday at the moment to assist my motivation but the one I record is on day 5 of my cycle cos i have worked out that is my lightest day 😊😊😊😊

Been pretty busy but finding the flexibility of choosing fast days really works for me.
    Bring on February!

Hi Jilly, Hi Everyone!
    Sherry what a lovely day!
    Your handwashing dishes story made me laugh! What a great skill for the kids to learn. I hope the dishwasher gets fixed before it becomes a chore.

Jilly that is a great local story. I wonder if it is someone who has been on these forums?
    It seems no one can weigh without trying tricks, like the fifth day, after a shower, on the carpet, up the stairs!

So glad 5:2 is fitting in with your busy life!

Good Morning!

Another Monday……how do the weekends fly by so quickly? I stayed true to my low carb plan all weekend and the scale continues to tick downward. In 7 weeks we’re heading to Florida for a week and I’d like to be at least 10 lbs down by then. Then 8 weeks after that, my sister and I head to Bermuda! So many things to look forward to.

Sherry…sounds like you had a lovely day with the kids. Oh my…and having to wash dishes by hand! Oh the humanity! 😉 I don’t have a dishwasher, so washing by hand is an every day occurrence here. With just the 2 of us, it really isn’t much of a problem.

Makica..hope your birthday was wonderful. We sure so miss you around here.

MM…we ended up with 8 or 9 inches of snow. My sister, 2 hrs southeast of us got 28 inches! Just 25 miles north of us got nothing! I hope we don’t get anymore snow….I’ve seen enough to last me a lifetime.

Time to get the day started. Have a good one!

Hi everyone

So good to talk to people who know EXACTLY what I am going through. Until the age of 47 I could eat ANYTHING I wanted and never put on one ounce. Then suddenly as if someone had flicked a switch, the pounds were slowly…………….creeping on. I stayed below 10st (140lbs) for years but this last 18 months has seen me get up to 159lbs! Not good and definitely not healthy.
    The hardest part for me is socialising. I have a lovely large family and am lucky enough to have some fab close friends. All of this means I go out for meals and like the occasional bacardi (!) I feel very uncomfortable in my skin at the moment, in as much as it is getting difficult to sit down and not feel the pressure of my thick waist. Also, my clothes do not look the right size – they are too small that’s why! and I have no intention of buying a whole new wardrobe that’s for sure.

I am here to gain and offer support and hope that I can help someone else have the success that we all want! It’s very encouraging to read the success stories of others and that motivates me to begin and start planning.

I am an ex Slimming World devotee, but am feeling the urge to do something different.

Lori, Just heard on the news that your state, PA, got the third highest snow fall in the blizzard! Have you shoveled out yet?

Hubby coming home today (late). So excited both for him and the dishwasher to be fixed! 😉

Haven’t weighed in a few days. Feeling a tad tubby. Thinking I’ve been eating too many of those nut filled breakfast cookies I made and getting “nut gut”. They’re probably better as a 2-3 days a week as opposed to daily breakfast! Gotta get going on making those egg/bacon muffins for grab-n-go.

Yes, Lori, I am officially whining about dishes! See, we all whine! Ahem, yes doing dishes for two is nothing like doing dishes for 6, especially when they’re little piggies and seem to use more glasses daily than any human in their right mind would need! How great that you have all those tropical get-aways to look forward to and motivate you to lose the weight! Rooting for you!

Cinque, glad I could entertain you 😉 & yes, I was thinking the same thing! Little spoiled things that have never washed a whole sink of dishes but now are learning! Good life skills!

Welcome Jilly and SusieA! Yes, Susie, we can relate. Even harder to do when you have an active social calendar! Sometimes I just have to buckle down and avoid social engagements the best I can for a couple of weeks until I can build some momentum in losing a few pounds which increases my resolve to keep going! Don’t know if this is possible for you, but it works for me! Best of luck to you both. This is a supportive crowd to hang out with! 🙂

Ok, off to get some make-up on so as not to scare my substitute pilates lady (regular instructor is off teaching at a retreat on some island off of Spain- poor him!). And before you say it, yes, I am one of those people that put make-up on before they go to the gym!

Love you guys! Have a great day!

Sherry

Good morning everyone,
    Lori it is Tuesday here already! Enjoy your last bit of Monday!

Welcome Susie, I was listening to a radio program that talked about how difficult some people find social occasions when trying to eat less. They suggested planning how you want to be and what you would say when offered more food or drinks. Eg ” no thanks, I’m fine”
    I find I manage fine by concentrating on the people and not the food. In fact I am best not to eat anything at all if I can get away with it, because I can’t enjoy it so much when I am being social. I’d rather get home and then eat something then.
    Good luck, each social occasion is a chance to work out what you want to do, and how you can make it work.

Sherry I was one of seven kids growing up without a dishwasher- you have my sympathy! It will be ‘welcome home darling! I know it’s late, but….”

I have woken up feeling quite well today. Maybe I will get the filing done?

Evening everybody – morning Cinque, you are sounding good!! Can you come and do my filing?

Welcome to all our new folk!!

Well, was supposed to be fast day today, and after all that pulled port and red wine yesterday, a good idea, but not to be.

For today is the 25th, and Burns night!!

So, my men donned their kilts to go hunting for Haggis! Usually it is bloody cold, frosty or snowing and blowing a gale, often all of these. Today though is blustery and warm, though quite windy, mid fifties, 13% for the metric minded.

So off we went, the normal danger of catching nether regions on frozen heather not a worry, but by ‘eck there was a lot of ‘braveheart’ style bottoms on show, and frankly not just the bottoms, having seen a great deal of the future of scotland – I do worry about the Scots! Of course it is true that there are no breeks under the kilts (knickers to the Sassenachs!!)

Anyway, Haggis hunting! Not sure how many of you have seen them, but they inhabit the Munros – the name the Scots give to mountains – though why they are not content with ‘mountain’ is beyond me, but the Scots are not a contented nation!

It is said that both Nichola Sturgeon and Alec Salmond have Haggis ancestry – they have many of the same traits – faces only their mothers could love, Nichola is short and of course has the traditional Haggis hair – and both have a hatred of the English! (The Haggis has always hated the English, not only have they always laughed at them, but the English Bard is much better known, and – frankly, a much better writer than the Scottish Bard!)

But – for absolute confirmation, check out Nicky when she is trotting around in her high heels, of course the heels do nothing to disguise her lack of height, but they enphasise her short leg – watch her stumble. Alec drinks to excess in order to disguise his gait, he would have us believe that he is drunk – and often he is – but he falls over a lot due to the short leg!! Really! And who hates the English more (Alec actually had an English girlfriend once, she did it for a bet!)

Anyway, normally they are difficult to catch, having the advantage of the short leg when scooting around the mountains, but today we were literally falling over them as they lay sunbathing in the heather! No sun, but the heat had them fooled.

Almost fell over one, which would have been a shock – I did mention they were ugly? The noise when they woke up as they were chucked into the sack was awful!

Of course they are such a delicacy. So good we only have them once a year!!!

With mash and neeps (turnips) and with a whisky sauce. Except I do a brandy sauce, that whisky is terrible stuff!

Viewing 50 posts - 3,001 through 3,050 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.