Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 5,077 total)

• spadjgs, not that we’ll hear from you again, but when you get past forty, you eill feslise life is precious, and you hsve just wasted a couple of hours of yours!!!

Please waste no more of ours!

Hi Milena.. I think spadjgs is sending spam. I have reported it.
    It feels like someone has invaded our space with this abusive unwelcome post.

By the way.. I had a bottle of sparkling water (minerals) and licked some salt!
    I also decided to have a half cup of low fat milk to tide me over. Feeling really fuzzy.

Hi Beelsy

Well done on your loss. It’s nice to have a good loss the first week. Some people aren’t as lucky.

Hiit stands for high intensity interval training. This means that you have to go like the clappers for about 10 – 30 seconds, then carry on gently for 1 minute and repeat this process three times. You should be panting for breath during these short spurts. If you can build that in then that is fine.

There are many links and some good ones on you tube. Just type in what is Hiit and you will get lots of things come up. Any problems give me a shout and I will find a link for you.

Good luck with this week. How much have you got to lose?

Hi Kate

Reading through posts tonight there are lots of problems with sleepin about a week ago I started listening to Paul McKenna CD for stress, I also have the sleep one, but decided I needed the stress one more at the moment. I can say I play it at night in bed and have only missed one night as I was too tired. My sleep has got better and I have only heard it once all through. I have noticed over the last couple of days that my blood pressure has come down a little.

I react baddy to things I find stressful so I don’t surround myself with people that give me stress, once in a while it comes from an unexpected person, this happen recently and was the trigger to start using it.

There are fantastic reviews and I believe you can also get the audio online for those of you who are not in UK – I do believe that these are sent from the USA so might be available abroad. I went straight for the CD and I haven’t read the book that comes with it, but I will.

Any pills can react with the needs I am on and so I try to avoid these. One of the tablets I am taking, the bloodpressure one gives me nightmares. These can have me waking with pounding heart. This happened a few days ago four times in a night. Way too much. I am waiting to see a specialty who may then hopefully suggest different pills. I hope one day to have them reduced and I am working towards that.

Anyway I shall add a link in the next post so you can read the reviews for this. I though it was worth a try and thankfully it is working. Cas this one sends me to sleep I haven’t tried the sleeping one.

I used to teach adults with mental health issues and I know how draining it can sometimes be on the families. Some of the people I taught had sometimes just missed a lot of school when they were children and so we’re learning as an adult. A fantastically rewarding job and I was lucky to have it. I was made redundant last July and when I am able to work I shall probably change career as even in my 50s I feel it will be nice to have a change and is not too late.

Maybe I could write a column in a newspaper that would be fun!!

Well done on getting through your fast day, I wasn’t fasting today but I am tomorrow. I am however still being good. I have allowed myself the luxury of not counting calories for two days, but I know that I am well under. I was with someone who was eating a big bag of munchies in front of me, she told me they were only small, I replied I don’t care, give me one next week!! No chance, whole bag gone – she does need to put on weight though. Yesterday I think it was a choloate trifle. I am there again tomorrow ……I wonder what it will be then. Just as well I can resist.

Hi Firehorse and Salma

See my comments above about Paul McKenna. I hadn’t really mentioned it as I needed to give it a few days to make a proper comment. But I will carry on as I find it really helpful. It won’t cost you as much in the long run as tablets, herbal or not. I shall try out another later ….change your life in 7 days, why?? My get up and go just went and I would like some of it back!! Again worth a try…..I will let you know when I am trying this one, maybe in about 3/4 months time.

Hi Lori

You have burnt many calories on the golf course, I’m sure it will be fine to go over. It sounds like a strenuous activity.

Hi Audrey

I hope you enjoy your sleep.

Hi Milena

Yes I too have the problem from low sodium although I do have some on fast days, I am now trying to slightly increase salt. That sounds wrong I know, but as the doctor is worried about the levels I thought it best.

Bourne books? If that is anything to do with the films that would be great, but the excitement at night might not be good.

5 hours sleep isn’t enough. You need at least 7 I think. Yes I know that I have suffered in the past as well and now my body clock has gone completely round the bend…..but I am getting better.

Salma

Very wise move to have the milk. Remember you can do the 500 calorie fast or less than that if you want. You have just had a week of your body getting more food than it is used to and then you play that nasty fasting trick on it agiain – that what it is saying. I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Ginette

Hi Milena and Salma

Sorry your posts were over the page. I had reported this person before under another user name. They must have been blocked and keep popping up on other threads.

Link to sleep book and download code. They are available with CD as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Sleep-Download-code-included/dp/0593055381/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432599467&sr=1-1&keywords=i+can+make+you+sleep+with+cd

Ginette

Hi Ginnette

thought I might have the McKenna book you were missing – checked, its the ‘I will make you rich’ book, don’t have the CD, maybe that’s why it hasn’t worked yet!

The Bourne books are indeed as the films, but I have found them very very frustrating as the story is different. The first three are by Robert Ludlum, there are ten I think, the others are by Eric Van Lustbader – I was bought one of the later ones first but bought the Ludlum 3 in one book – but just haven’t got into them – trouble is we watch the films about every three weeks, I kid you not – love ’em, we watch them on telly and if we miss the beginning we just get the DVD out – sad or what? The three of us have the theme tune as one of our ringtones, aren’t we sad?

I read the second Harry Potter book first – never go over it, although at the time no-one had heard of Harry Potter, it was just a children’s book, I bought it on the day it was released as it was my son’s fourth birthday – in those days I had hopes he would love books as much as I do – must be a first edition, though I imagine there are more of the later books, I don’t think they got a mass audience until the third or fourth book.

Ahh. I am going to get that in the future for my son. He is self employed and I thought it would help. Need to wait a few weeks though.

Here is an interesting link.

Another reason not to put off that diet! Losing even a FEW pounds has a dramatic effect on your joints and risk of diabetes, says leading doctor
    http://dailym.ai/1HFXsfI

Ginette

hello all, congrats on your inspiring losses or getting back in the saddle!
    I am back from relaxing weekend at lake ….sans forest fire but mosquitoes have now arrived — if only they sucked out fat instead of blood! Although I went to friends for a big bbq dinner I did watch my portion size pretty well — nice to feel more consciously aware about that, and still had loads of fun and ok about 1/2 bottle of wine…. Today was my fast day [1 egg courgette omelette for brekkie and just finished big salad with tuna …and lots of water and chomping on veggies when peckish] so will see what those scales say tomorrow for 3 week weigh in.
    My one concern is…. ahem….. how do I put this delicately???!!! My ‘transit time’ has slowed right down. Anyone else struggle with that?? I am having fewer carbs, so maybe less fibre to swoosh things thru overall. I know about remedies like stewed prunes but they are hi calorie 🙁

Good morning to all..

I usually read the posts with my morning coffee to give me inspiration for the day and later in the day when I am back from work. All your comments, successes, moans and ideas keep me going, so THANK YOU to you all.

Ginette, I have been listening to Paul McKenna for over a month now. I think it was you who mentioned him and I found him on an iPhone app and downloaded it (for sleep – I think I should try the get rich one soon so I can quit my job 🙂 ). The app logs your sleep patterns as you have to key in how you slept the night before. He also has what he calls “Night-Time Hypnotic” where you listen to him and you fall asleep. This is VERY effective in sending me to sleep, but my problem is that I wake up several times a night. I will often put him back on again and it will help me sleep. You are so right that it is effective, but without the sleeping pills I have very disturbed sleep. I tried to sleep without it last night as I was very tired, but had a horrible night’s sleep. I do not intend to keep taking sleeping pills. What I am planning to do is to try a long walk about a couple of hours before bed-time followed by a hot shower. Exercise is supposed to not only tire you out, but relax and de-stress you. As you know, I have been traveling and running around, so any semblance of a routine was out of the window. Now, I am hopefully back to more predictable days and may be able to fit the walk in 4 or 5 times a week. I will gradually go back to the gym as well (Still haven’t – feeling bad about that!).

Phoebe, good morning.. it must be great to wake up to the sight of a beautiful lake with nature surrounding you. I live in a concrete jungle and am starved for green. On the subject of “goods in transit”, try eating more fibrous greens (spinach, kale, broccoli, etc) but also, oats help. You don’t have to have a huge amount, one or two tablespoons of oats with a walnut and a bit of milk should do it. This is low calorie and a guaranteed to solve the problem, but also to help keep you full as oats are digested quite slowly by the system. This happens to most dieters, I think, especially when the whole way of eating has changed.

Hi Milena.. another similarity: I love reading. I belong to a book club (mostly Brits as it happens) and we pick a book to read every month. Then, it is an excuse to meet and enjoy some cheese, fruit and wine (often a nice desert as well). The participants are nice people with different backgrounds, so the discussion is always interesting. We have had some duds, but just making time to read is wonderful. It is so easy to rely on TV and audio, but reading has its own pleasure. I have seen the Bourne movies, but not read the books. Maybe I will pick one up.

I decided to not fast today as yesterday made me feel so miserable and I did not get good sleep last night. I do not want to turn this into a punishing torture. So, a light breakfast and a light dinner instead. Let the chips fall where they may!

Have a great day everyone.

Salma

You might enjoy the following (on sugar):

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-nicole-avena

Morning all,

I seem to be the opposite to most of you and am finding it hard to stay awake I am sleeping for hours and waking up tired! Mind I am restless and keep waking up throughout the night.

Hope you all had a good night’s sleep with Paul

Good luck to all you faster

Audrey

Good Morning!

I went to bed early and slept well until about 2:30AM when my cat started prowling around. It is now 4:30 and I am up having a cup of coffee before boot camp. It may be a long day.

Today is going to be a semi-fast day where I try to stay below 1,000 calories. I’m hoping to be more around 800, but I’ll see how I feel.

I listen to a weight loss app that also puts me to sleep. It isn’t McKenna, although I have listened to him in the past. Very soothing and I seldom remember hearing the end of the session when my ipod turns off. I put it on a timer for 1 hour and then wake up sometime and take off my sleep phones. The sleep phones are just a soft headband with built in flat speakers that allow you to lie on your side. Quite comfortable.

Ok…time to check the rest of my emails and then get ready for my workout. Have a wonderful day!

Hi Phoebe

I have a fantastic cure for Mosquitos, my son. They always tend to gravitate towards him and leave me alone. Realising that it may not be possible to send him and that he may not be willing to be a mosquito foil. I suggest using any types of body wash with lemon in a smell they dislike.

I’m glad things have calmed down with the fire and you can relax again.

I have noticed the thing about transit time, I just thought that as I was eating gar better and more useful food for my body then there wasn’t so much waste. Is that too simplistic?

Hi Salma

Maybe you have underlying stress and that is what is waking you, only a suggestion as last week seemed to be full of it for you.

I have better nights now but yesterday was one if the short ones as I was awoken by a bad dream.

I will look at the link as soon as I have finished this post.

Hi Audrey

Yes I find Paul is great to go to bed with and I fall asleep before the end. No great for a man’s ego I realise!!

Hi Lori

Good luck at boot camp. Headphones sound really good as well.

Ginette

Salma

This was great….it was really interesting and can show us why we were drawn to sugary foods and drink.

I would reccomended this to everybody to watch and it shows the brains reaction to sugar. It also says once this has died down we stop having this reaction and then a if we have a sugary treat once in a while it won’t trigger that reaction and addiction.

Thank you so much – as you know I love to learn anything helpful as it will keep me on the straight and not so narrow…..

Ginette

Salma

Thanks for the link was very interesting 5 mins well spent

Isn’t it just!

I have just copied to to other threads.

Ginette

I did something great yesterday.

I baked a cake for my husband, ON A FAST DAY!

I didn’t have any even though it smelt absolutely
    wonderful.

I have just enjoyed a slice all 168 kcal of it!

This would not have happened 6 months ago, I know I would have had a piece straight away and it would have been a bigger slice than today. I would have also have had another slice today too!

I am finally changing my attitude to food and it feels great

Just wanted to share, hope you don’t mind

Audrey

Good Tues morning here. Weigh day and I am down another 2 pounds. 7 total in 3 weeks.
    I am thrilled and even did the Rocky fist pump on the scales…….. despite washroom still smelling like a brothel today. Wind gusted strongly suddenly last eve and blew bathroom curtain which must have startled cat… who lept off ledge knocking over and breaking bottle of perfume — heard the splintering crash and cat flying down the stairs!!!
    Will try oats [making some steel cut ones right this minute that I will portion for a few days] so Salma thanks, as am getting lots of fibery veg, and Ginette thanks for the lemon idea. Mosquitoes only bad for a month or so but it’s tough to want to work on outside projects when you’re in danger of being mistaken for a spotted dick.
    Like many of you, my sleep has been a problem since turning 50ish and menopause – my mind squirrels at bedtime, body sweats come and go, and I toss and turn when I wake again at 2 or 3, so I too have slept off and on with that cheeky Paul McK — he sure gets around! Since my diagnosis last fall tho I have been on half a sleeping pill which does the for now, but will a bugger to wean off of when this is all behind me.
    Off to pull out some capris that I had put in storage in disgust and frustration last fall when they became far too snug,[not to mention the ones from 2 or 3 years ago…] to have something to aim for! I can really see doing 5-2 WOL for the long run and one day 6-1. Thanks everyone!!! 🙂

Audrey

I don’t know if I have mentioned this before, but when I do the boxing (did 21 mins today) I always march on the spot. This makes it a lot more energetic. This is apart from the ducking and weaving bits. I did other exercises as well. I got to Indonesia and then collapsed into the chair. The marching really ramps up the energy. Strangely enough I have just unlocked a boxing with marching one – I shall try that next time, probably similar to what I do anyway.

Save me a piece of that cake for next week…..

Ginette

Morning Phoebe,

Try drinking warm water, it’s what I do when I have transit problems and it works ok for me!

Well done on your 7 lb loss that’s fantastic news

Ginette

You will have to box my hubby for the cake hehe cos he loves it. I do bake a good fruit cake if I say so myself.

Audrey

Hi Phoebe

Ah I feel so lucky that I have had no hot sweats as I know how people complain about them.

He certainly does get around…… I have him nearly every night at the moment.

Yes….I know all about the accidents that cats can cause. Must be a bit overpowering at the moment and what a waste!!

What a good weight loss. Nice getting into clothes that didn’t fit you.

Also really good to lose that in three weeks.

Ginette

Ok I’m off out now to give you all a rest from me.

I can still check emails, but difficult to post on the phone….I’m sure you will be glad of the break.

Ginette

And Audrey, I am in awe! Great news re your response to the cake. Isn’t changing our attitudes and habits what re are really all aiming for. Good on you!

Ginette,

Have a lovely evening out talk tomorrow.

Phoebe

Indeed yes the old me would have had a piece yesterday and today!

Have a good day

Audrey

Hi girls..

Ginette.. I am glad you liked the link. I thought it said a lot very effectively. Enjoy your evening out.

Phoebe.. so well done!! In fact fantastic. It is so encouraging when you lose a big chunk.. Keep on doing what you’re doing. We’re all behind you cheering you on; even the mosquitoes 🙂 You will probably get more of them now that your perfume is all over the bathroom. what a waste.

Audrey.. I love fruit cake. I am not sure I would have resisted. I love the smell of home baking. One thing I did all the time my kids were small. Now, I hardly ever bake except when it is my turn to bring in the breakfast to the office on a Friday (We do communal breakfasts on Friday mornings – each Friday is someone’s turn).

I had initially planned a fast day for today, but after the liquid fast yesterday and very little sleep, I just couldn’t manage it. I was feeling dizzy and very foggy, so thought I had better eat properly. Instead, I had a low cal day. I am not sure how many calories (I do not count) but my guess is around 1000 or less. I even passed by a friend’s and she offered me a piece of a huge Toblerone bar (the ones you get at Heathrow) with nuts, but I refused. I REFUSED a Toblerone. I didn’t even feel like it. Amazing!

Mr. McKenna is living every man’s dream. He is in many a girl’s bedroom whispering sweet nothings in our ears. I usually am asleep half way through his speech (no, Ginette, not good for the ego, but that is probably why he is whispering in so many ears ), but last night I heard it 3 times and .. NOTHING. Urgh! This lack of sleep is so frustrating. I hope it passes. I have always said I wanted to grow into a cantankerous old lady.. now it seems it will happen a bit sooner than I had planned.

Good night everyone, and good luck to the fasters tomorrow.

Salma

I too am in my fifties. Hoping to go from a size 12 to a comfortable 10..
    good Luck.

Hello L square, you are more than welcome to join us, you will find us a very friendly bunch here.

Audrey

Dear all,

Hi L-square, welcome to a very friendly and supportive group. Is it your first time?

Audrey, congrats on the cake willpower, that’s great!!! Phoebe amazing weight loss!!

Am back on track today with a good FD! I’m relieved because was beginning to think I would give up on a FD. Isn’t it weird how some kind can be so different? Salma I get it that sometimes a second fast day can seem daunting, you kind of have a gut feeling as to if it will work, and as you mentioned FD shouldn’t be a punishment. Today was a “breeze” compared with the abandoned FD’s last week. Firehorse I think you’re right hormones are fluctuating madly and erratically, hence the sugar cravings, I’ve considered the HRT, and I know the statistics are quite low for risk of cancer, but my Dr is set against it, let’s see. After this weekend I thought maybe I wasn’t “cut out” for this WOL, but this good FD, has restored my faith.

vis a vis “transit” issues, on another thread someone mentioned, a few prunes on NFD’s

As far as sleep, I’m generally ok at the moment(touch wood) my cat does get annoying when the mornings are lighter, and bounces around a bit. I cut down on booze since Jan, and that has improved my sleep, I’d read that you can miss out on some of the essential REM sleep cycles with booze, and wake up tired-er (is that as word?) Exercise can be a double whammy, on my Zumba class nights, can’t go to bed straight away, too much adrenaline..Apparently ipads and reading should not be part of “sleep hygiene”, which I think is very silly, ) always have a book on the go (also love a read Milena and Salma 😉 and it helps me wind down. I have started a Magnesium powder supplement, called CALM, has anyone used it? I think it does help, but you have to remember throughout the day to take it with water, it’s effervescent, it’s seems to help with sleep and peri-PMT? which is crazy for me at the moment!

Great TED-ed link, Salma thanks, it makes you think
    Hi to everyone else, Kate hope the FD was ok, Milena, great post you put up, several screens back, about support..etc
    Hi Ginette!

I’m bound to cross posts with someone, sorry if I leave you out..;-0

Beldyboop.. I know I shouldn’t have my laptop..well.. on my lap.. just before going to sleep, but it IS a window on the world isn’t it? .. and it IS fun to catch up with everyone’s news.

I have tried CALM. I found the taste disgusting. Sorry!! There was a time when I was having umpteen supplements, but now, I try to focus on getting the required nutrients from a variety of healthy food. Someone said somewhere that all those supplements just make for very expensive pee. Hmmmm.

Sounds like today has been a good day for fasting! I only have a couple hours till dinner so I’m fighting the hunger right now, but I will make it! I’ll come in well below my 1,000 calorie cap for today.

Hoping for a good night’s sleep as I’m going to resume my running training tomorrow morning at 5:30. I want to run 3 days a week. Actually, I run/walk, so it’s not as dreadful as it sounds. The cat sleeping outside will help my sleep thing. She prefers to be out at night now that it’s warm, but last night she was sleeping on her perch when bedtime came and then she woke up and wanted out. I wouldn’t mind if she would wake me and then go directly to the door, but it’s as if she knows she is being naughty and she goes and hides and won’t come out! About 3 minutes after I crawl back in bed, she starts in again. Sigh…talk about a sleep killer!

Hope everyone has a lovely evening!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I feel pretty good for this first FD.
    I too was running, until the menopause hit me like a rock, gained 12 lbs very quickly and lost my drive to run. I do walk a lot, I have a fit band, I guess I average 5-13 miles a day. I need a good kick-start and this looked do-able for my lifestyle. I recently purchased the Progest cream for the menopause, hot flashes have settled down a bit. I don’t sleep very well, but really never have. I too only have another hour or so before dinner 🙂

Have a great evening,

Hi L-square

welcome – you sound fit – reminds me of Janeyw and his high flying, Im thinking of doing couch to 5k, well I have the app but Im still working on couch to bed! Small steps.

Hula hooping is producing results – if bruises are results, 52 at the last count. Still haven’t mastered it.

What fitbit do you have – I was looking at them today and I’m a tad confused.

Sitting here eating English strawberries – without sugar and without cream – so that’s what they taste like.

Hi Audrey and Ginette, planning holiday probably last week in August, first week in September – depends if Appliepie is around then, be a pity to go all the way to her house if she isn’t home! I have to be back in Edinburgh before the 11th for a fair – so it will be good to keep you company Audrey – and it will keep Ginette out of mischief.

I think G and I will need a few days off before beginning a new regime -I must be mad but its only 212 days to Christmas – at a pound a week thats 25lb.

Have a good evening all!

(daft to expect a pound a week so that allows over a month with no loss – planning!!)

Does anyone use a slendertone machine – I think I tried one in my twenties, but in my twenties I had a 22 inch waist so I do wonder why.

thank you Beldyboop

I have my moments

Hi Salma

At a loss what else to suggest for sleep. 🙁 He does it for me.

Yes I think you were right not to fast. I am trying to do three days to finish FBD with a flourish and this will also be my first week of Audreys challenge. I must be truly mad!!

I did dip the tip od my little finger into a chocolate trifle….heaven….it was also a fast day!! Must have been at least 10 calories….lucky I was under! Well done for refusing the Toblerone…..what willpower!

Hi L-square

Welcome to the forum. Yes join us we will help you get there. You will be glad you joined, we can bit a bit crazy at times, but you will get used to us.

I thought Audrey was quite normal until I heard about the dog biscuits. We do have fun here on our way to our goals. Isn’t that what life is all about?

Your ability to run has me amazed. Like Milena, couch to bed and a little Wii in between – I thought it was a lot of Wii until Audrey came along. I do two hours a week – she does that in two days!! She really has my respect, I would need the paramedics on hand to do that. I have upped my game from 0 – 2 hours from the beginning so I am pleased with that.

My goal is to eventually get to 2.5 hours (a week that is).

I am glad your first fast day went ok.

Hi Beldyboop

I had no idea that you were struggling so….I am glad that this week is better. We will pull you along with us when you struggle. Together we are stronger.

Hi Lori

What a chore to have to get up. Now you know why I don’t have mine in the bedroom!!

Hi Milena

I am glad you are getting something out of the hula hooping. The number you have got up to is impressive.

Have you decided how you are going to manage your feasts next week? I have decided to still do three fast days (I want to drop back to 2) next week to counteract this. I shall enjoy the feast days. I will feel like a naughty schoolgirl ……..

I never have sugar on my strawberries as you camouflage the taste. Strawberries and youghurt for me.

212 days to Christmas…….how can you mention this before we have even got to summer. Be still those thoughts!!

No I will still expect to average out at at least 1lb a week.

See you all tomorrow, off to join Paul when I have posted on the other threads.

Night all.

Ginette

Milena!! Seriously?? Well I never ………..

Sugar really gets on my nerves! Do they have to add the horrible stuff to everything? I was looking for a sugar free pro biotic drink or yogurt in the supermarket yesterday (on a liquids only day, how brave is that?) do you think I could find one? They had every flavour under the sun, but not one, not even one, without added sugar.

Greek yogurt is nice with anything, we have it for breakfast a lot, with blueberries, kiwi, cherries, anything. Can you believe there is a sugared version? Why would anyone add sugar to something so rich, creamy and delicious? It beggars belief.

Liquids only day went well, easy peasy, but my OH struggled. I might go back to 2 normal fasts a week from now on.

Good morning ladies!
    Welcome L-Square.. it is nice to welcome a new member to our group.
    You do sound fit, as Milena says. Well done on doing all that walking. I wish I would get the oumph to get back to it, but mine is 5 km (around 3 miles) in the morning usually. Of course, if you are using a fit band or fit bit, if you consciously walk 5 km per day, then with all the rest of the walking, it is around 8 (the dreaded 10,000 steps). Stick around here.. this is a fun group.. some are Ferraris and others are old bangers as Milena says.. I am in the latter variety, but some here have been speed bunnies.

Milena, a fit band is like a bracelet that you wear, whereas a fitbit clips onto your clothing (e.g.., bra). They both do the same thing and that is measure how many steps/Km or miles and calories burned you have achieved during the day. A friend of mine got me the fitbit for my birthday because I like gadgets, and once you start walking, it can be quite a motivator. You want to reach that golden goal of 10,000 steps per day. We would normally do around 3000 doing normal stuff (like from bed to couch to kitchen – 🙂 ) so someone like Lori with all the golf walking can notch up to 14-15,000 per day. I think you do log steps don’t you Lori?

Your hula hoops seem to be doing much damage. Can you not use them just as the plastic hoops without the stuff that is causing the bruises? Sounds really painful. Thanks for the reminder about the 25lbs to Christmas. That is 11Kg. That will be my goal too (I like the fact that you have discounted 4 weeks to allow for a bumpy ride there). How cool will it be to get to Christmas at 77Kgs? I would be over the moon. I would still have 7 or 8 Kgs to lose (3or 4 if I stick with my original target). How much more do you need to lose Milena?

Hi Lori.. great that you had a good fast day and Beldyboop. Sometimes it can seem daunting. My Monday fast was difficult. This was the first time it happened. I usually find them relatively easy. It just goes to show that we have to take it isn our stride, not set expectations too high and be kind to ourselves. Any ‘mishap’ is just a blip in the big picture.

Ginette.. you and Milena are so close to the finish line. We’ll be there cheering 🙂
    I went out like a light last night (with sleeping meds) so I feel much better today. Thanks for the concern. What are you planning to start with Audrey after your FBD? You are an Energizer Bunny !

Well done girls.
    Onwards and downwards.

Hello there, i have been reading your posts and would love to join in if that is ok. i am mid fifties and have been dieting for a year – lost just over two stone so far and started 5:2 about 2 months ago. My weight loss has slowed down but my attitude to food has completely changed – i love this diet. One stone to go now. I do find the fasting days difficult sometimes but they do seem to be getting easier and i am getting much better at working out nice things to eat during them

Morning all,

My you have been a busy bunch of people with all these posts far too much to reply to you all.

Welcome ruthiee come and join us everyone is welcome here but we can get a little crazy at times. 2 stones is a fantastic loss well done to you.

Milena I saw hula hoops on sale at home bargains last week just plastic ones without metal bits perhaps they would be better? Not sure of size though maybe worth a look.

It’s 9 in the morning and I am up, house is steamed, dogs walked, washing on line just about to do my work out on wii.

I woke at 6 and could not get back to sleep!

Catch up again later, fast day for me

Audrey

Bkummin’ ‘eck, Audrey

Im still in bed. Had a weird night, felt dizzy all night, which is odd as I was lying down. Got up to loo at 3.30 walked as if I was absolutely drunk, hanging onto walls. Wonder if the strawberries have fermented?

Slept til 10 minutes ago.

Worked from 9 yesterday morning til 11pm with only a couple of short breaks, so I dont feel idle.

Still persevering with the hoop. If I can get out of bed.

Yikes Milena, you ok now? No chance of a urine infection, is there (common symptom)? Look after yourself and get checked out if no improvement soon.

I like the 25lbs to Christmas, may I play? A target like that would be good for me.
    Doing OK, hideous PMS which I have struggled with all my life really but which seems to be having a last ramped up major hurrah as I move into peri-menopausal mode. Not looking forward to menopause but perhaps it will be easier. Husband says it shows I’m still in ‘prime breeding condition’ : I say ‘jkh***yu£$”£$ off’!!!

Next FD tomorrow. Sneaky peek shows no more weight lost this week but given my hormones to be expected! I normally put on loads at this time of month and i haven’t done that, so maybe that’s really a loss. That’s my interpretation. Shouldn’t weigh at all at time of month, I know that, but like picking a scab, yeccch.

Phoebe, we don’t have mozzies in Scotland but we do have midges, smaller but equally lethal. The most effective control is something called Avon Skin so Soft, which as the name implies isn’t an insect repellent at all but a skin lotion. For whatever reason, it is so effective at repelling midges that the military, forestry workers etc all use it – they truly don’t care about smelling like a bordello if it keep the little blighters away. Don’t know if you can get it in Canada – if not i’m sure we could send a rescue parcel! Hands across the sea and all that…

Have a good day all and keep us updated Milena.

Ginette – thanks so much for all the info.

Kate Eve xx

I was up at 5.30am our time and we are an hour in front of the UK. It was the porridge calling me… didn’t have it till 7.30, it was bloody lovely.

Good morning!

Up at my normal time of 4:15 and ready(?) to go out for my run/walk at about 5:30. I know I’ll enjoy it once I’m out there, but it can be a struggle to get out the door. I had hoped that the husband would join me as he did last year, but he doesn’t seem so inclined. He is semi-retired and works a physical job in the mornings, so maybe he feels it would be a bit much in this heat.

Yes, I wear a Garmin Vivofit that keeps track of my steps and several other things. I think I had only a bit over 8,000 yesterday. I really must try for the 10,000 each day. I know I spend too much time plopped in my recliner in the evenings.

The cat slept outside last night, but I still didn’t sleep well. I had a big salad for dinner last night and it didn’t agree with me. I think dumping all those veggies in my gut after not eating all day was not the best idea I ever had. I had a bit of a gastric episode before bed and then didn’t feel well most of the night. Still a bit crampy. Sorry if TMI!

I’m afraid shutting the bedroom door to keep kitty out would not work. She would simple claw and dig at the door to be let in. She can be VERY persistent! She is in now and has had her breakfast so now it’s bath time.

Out for dinner tonight with some friends, so I’ll have to make good choices. I’ll have about 500 calories between now and then, so I’ll have over 1,000 left for dinner. I should be able to stick to that.

Have great days!

Milena,

Hope you are ok,as kate eve said go to Dr’s if no better!

Let us know later how you are doing

ginette

I have got to grand canyon on wii!

Audrey

Hi Apple pie

Normal fast days work for me. I normally end up around 25 calories under. Give it a go. Your OH doesn’t look as if he needs to lose weight. Is he doing it for the fitness benefits?

Sue isn’t on Facebook so can’t join us that way, Unless she sets up a profile just for that.

I know that her first fast day went well, so that was good she had warburton squares so these were 100 calls and only had a little veg. You know how carbs eat into calorie allowance.

Salma

I have never really walked for pleasure and definetly not ran for pleasure, I’m pleased for the ones that do like it though. You sound like me my get up and go has gone as well…..it just up and left. I hope you get in back. I was saying that I wanted to try how to change your life in 7 days to get this back, this isn’t the right time for me. I know that, but looking for something for Milena I came across this on eBay for 2.81 free postage and so I ordered it. I shall keep it safe for a while until I feel it is the right time.

I am so pleased that you had a good night. It will probably make such a difference. I had a difficult fast day yesterday as well. But determination is always better than temptation for me.

Thank you I think we will be cheering too!

It is now less than 4 days to go…..not that I am counting of course. 🙂

Hi Milena

Poor you, you have had a lot of worry recently and also a lot of work out. Maybe ease up just for a day. Have some sensible food and relax.

If I could get up to you I would sit and do all of your work for you for a day, to give you a break.

Please give the the hoop a day off.

Hi Kate

Yes I think very achievable and would mean we could really relax and enjoy ourselves. I may fast for a day to give me my fasting fix!! Such a long time off. The more the merrier I say and I’m sure Milena will agree.

Let’s hope no one comes up with another challenge after Audrey’s then. Can’t resist a challenge, must be a sensible one though.

I had to smile about your answer to your husband. No thoughts about it though? …..I might have been tempted.

Yes water and weight go up and down at this time, let’s hope for a nice surprise afterwards though. Sugar free jellies if you get tempted by sweet things over this time, they go nicely with a yougurt.

I like to read things to help me along the way and anything I find useful I like to share.

Hi Applepie

So pleased that you likes the porridge.

I am saving myself for a bacon sandwich tomorrow

….so early….not something I would like to do. Night owls and early mornings don’t work.

Hi Lori

You as well I don’t know how you get up that early and exercise. I have to have two cups of tea before doing anything and it’s during that time that I normally check the forum 26 emails today and 25 from this forum. The last one from yesterday I answered about 2am. So you had a busy morning all.

Good luck with boot camp although I appreciate it is probably over hours ago now.

My cats were like this as kittens but I had a water spray, this didn’t go anywhere near them but worked a treat just as a threat. I control all sorts with this.

Have a nice time with your friends.

Audrey

Grand Canyon, oh dear that doesn’t ring a bell. I shall have to catch up while you are away.

See you later all …..

Ginette

Hi Ginette

that would be nice, I think you would like enjoy it – not that my work is hard – OH does the post, son does the cleaning, my jobs are to find the stuff and to list the stuff.

Finding jewellery is great fun, antquie fairs, car boots, ebay, antique shops etc – the best fun! I have a huge library of books, my weekness, and do loads of research.

Photographing is a bit of a pain, not my idea of fun. Lisiing is ok, it s all a bit relentles but I love it all, so don’t worry on that score.

Feeling just fine today, managed my walk before the rain, pork in the oven, and now sitting with my laptop, watching Highland Endgame as I work, son off college so earing his money and OH is about to make a cup of tea!!!

Its a hard life – not!

Having a pulled port open sarnie for dinner, with caramelised onions on ciabatta rolls!!! Tomorrow second fast of the week, then a big effort to Sunday, full fast that day. FBD done!

Starting ‘Reg ready for August” on Wednesday!

Hi milena abd ginette,

What are you 2 planning on doing for ready for august?

I am going to make a pledge to exercise at least 60 mins per day and watch my non fast calorie intake to keep it 1000 or below! That hopefully should let me lose my 1. 5 lb

Audrey

Good morning everyone and welcome L square and Ruthlee to our lovely group.
    Milena -oooh noo take good care and get seen if no improvements… wishing you well.
    Kate – feel your pms pain 🙁 and yes we have avon sss here but reports are less favourable – perhaps mozzies tougher in the colonies! but did try 3 homeopathic pills under tongue last eve for dog lessons and no bites. I’m in for the 25 by Xmas! 28 actually as that is goal weight!!!
    re ongoing sleep issues: I found Calm too sweet too, but a hot bath with 2 cups epsom salts and drop of lavender then calcium/magnesium supplement [in Calm] is somewhat effective
    re improving transit: can you hear the angels singing? small morning serving of oatmeal with one stewed prune and warm water has done wonders 🙂 thanks again for the group’s wisdom

Hi Audrey

can I promise to stand on the line and cheer you on?????

Just kidding, will be giving this a think and a plan – its got to be mainly exercise as I think I have cracked fast days, finding I’m doing 3 or 4 a week now, so hopefully just keep this up.

Seems 10,000 steps is the norm – not sure how much less I do than that, I usually do my 2.5 mile walk to the post office about 5 times a week, I reckon that I could be nearer 100 steps – I kid you not – on the other two days.

I need to get the arms sorted – and I still have huge thighs – so these are the target areas. Will have a think and post my aims – then I’ll have not excuses.

Think I might include a couple of days of housework, just realised its now getting close to the end of Spring and I haven’t spring cleaned yet – though heck as I don’t think I managed it last year, perhaps not!!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.