Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 5,077 total)

• Jayne…let me add my congratulations on the new job! I hope you love it!

I’m up early this Easter Sunday and just enjoying a leisurely morning of coffee sipping. The husband and I are going to play golf a bit later. I’ll be sporting a new fleece I’ve been dying to wear. It’s a lovely shade of purple which will make me look quite like an Easter egg! It is to be sunny, but a bit on the cool side. It will just be nice to spend the day together.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Happy Easter to everyone.

Congratulations Jayneyw on your new job.. so pleased for you and on your diminishing self.. same big congrats go to Milena. Well done ladies.

I am afraid I side with Applepie on this one, I don’t think I am going to be a loser this April. My mother has already threatened with all manner of goodies on the menu for the coming weeks. My son is coming too, so loads of celebbrating, good food, good wine.

I am beginning to sound ike I shouldn’t even be on this forum!

Salma! Don’t be silly! We will all have times when we’re faced with challenges and that’s when we need each other the most. Whether losing, maintaining, or even gaining, we’re here for each other.

I may not have a loss this month either. With being on vacation 10 days of the month, it’s going to be tough. I’m not stressing about it as I know I’ll get back on track as soon as I can.

Doing our best on any given day is all we can ask of ourselves, isn’t it?

Dunno why you congratulating me, did you read the bit about the scales, though I think we have ghosts who find it fun to step on my scales!!!

As for your comments re being on this forum, quite apart from it being your forum duh!!!! – this is precisely the forum for you. If this WOL was easy, we just wouldn’t be here!!!

How many times have you been told, usually by some skinny minny, if you want to lose weight just eat less and exercise more!!

And it is so true – trouble is its just not easy.

We are a group of strugglers and realists – we are all finding it hard, even Jayney, who I think is our superstar, we know she grits her teeth and takes a deep breath, I always picture her sheer determination as face down, fists clenched and taking a deep breath – and we all want to push her on, because pushing her makes us all push ourselves.

And you Salma, are my hero, you get out there in the gym and get on with it. That skinny minny I just mentioned, she struggles too, though probably just deciding which pair of shorts suits her boney ass more (ok ok I dream of having a boney ass, jealousy is not pretty) .

So either do April as maintenance or work around the goodies. Read Buttonboots, another hero, she will inspire you!

This is not about April, this is about 2015.

First, we don’t want to weight more in January 2016 than we did in January 2015.

Second, we need two targets, one a dream. The other doable. So plan how to get there, how to work around difficult months, and how to make all this a great part of a great life!!!!!! Keeping gourmet food in there – now there’s a worthwhile challenge!!!

Sorry about the long post, but Im writing to myself as much as to Salma! And I need certainly need a talking to!!!!

Here endeth the lesson!!

Happy Easter everyone,
    Just a quick note, haven’t caught up on the thread since traveling. At my son’s house through today then off to the beach. Enjoying visiting with my granddaughter and both my sons. Fast day today (which should keep me out of her Easter basket!!).
    Back is better but still uncomfortable at times, mostly when the anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants wear off.
    Hope all is well with you with your fasting and life in general.

Hi All

At the moment Janey I have already bought a bottle of squash ready to add to water. I have such a tiny bit to change the flavour I am not too worried. A bottle lasts me ages. I will look into it again when this bottle is finished. I drink plain water when I am exercising and flavoured water when the weather changes and it is too hot for tea. I love my tea so it has to be hot to give it up. For anybody looking to cut down on caffeine decaf Typhoo are good in tge UK.

Well I have been a bit quiet lately. No exercise since Thursday. No problems at the time I really enjoyed it. I am STILL suffering from the after effects. It worked top leg muscles really well. So much so that it still hurts to sit down and get up. This is the day that it has been at its best so tomorrow I shall be back to it with light exercises.

I did have an Easter egg tge buttons 101gm ones the smallest. That was over 500 calories so as well as my new fast days I shall see if I can have a carb free day next week. Graham did so well I shall try it for a day to offset the Easter egg. It was nice though.

I didn’t fancy dinner last night and so had crunchy nut cornflakes. I used to love these but only restricted them to about three boxes a year as I know that they are full of sugar with no real benefit. They were so unbelievably sweet I don’t know how I ever ate them……. How my tastes have changed.

This is only the second box I have had in a year. My nutritionist thinks they are filled with rubbish and should be banned. He is probably right. The rest of the box will stay there for a long time.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with food they once loved?

Jaye you are very quiet at the moment. Is all OK?

Hope everybody is enjoying the holidays.

Ginette

Hi all. Not having a good day today my children have given me Easter eggs and easter cakes and
    I have eaten them . Don’t feel guilty at the moment but will tomorrow and don’t think the scales will be very
    kind on Tuesday. I love reading all of your comments even the not so good ones, I know I’m not alone on this journey.

Hi All,

FatGraham, it seems I’ve followed in the footsteps of your prior progress. I was fasting yesterday and thought I’d soak in a hot tub for fifteen minutes. Boy was that a mistake! I’m up nearly a kilo today (1.5 pounds)! Yikes, what a disaster! I’ll never do that again. This is just a guess, but I wonder if because I was fasting my body just absorbed water from the hot tub. Does this sound right to anyone? I have an appointment with a new trainer at a new gym shortly. I’ll ask him about it and report back.

If you have any other ideas as to why I would gain weight when I have nothing but water, psyllium, and supplements on my fast days I’m all ears. I was planning to go a bit over my TDEE today due to the holiday, but you can believe I’ll be having three fast days this week–starting tomorrow! Let that be a warning to you all, don’t soak in anything (even a bath) during a fast day!

Also Mammar, during my last visit with the naturopath I specifically asked about dealing with times when I go over my TDEE. I suggested throwing in an extra fast day, and he concurred saying it would be best to have that be the day after. If you read this message in time, could you fast tomorrow? If so it might help. Just a thought.

Enjoy your holiday!

I ate a fairly large Easter egg today. Why do I do it. Not a fast day but still disappointed with myself.

Hi Topsy, read the posts on all of the forum, loads of folk have had Easter eggs!!! It’l soon be over and it won’t come around again for ages. One year in fact, by which time we will all be much thinner.

Ive not had an egg, but have just ordered 6 mcflurries! OH got a dirty look when he agreed! Had a few grapes and a strawberry instead but THAT didnt hit the spot.

And look on the bright side, is only one usual? If it was two last year and one this year its a result. Heck, Ive had no chocolate for a fortnight, and thats never happened before. Celebrate the little steps. Forgive the little falls.

Janey, have you got a mischievious ghost in the bathroom too?

My weight is going up and down like a blummin’ yoyo. Just a kilo or two (which is between 2 and 4.4 lbs). While I’m doing 4:3, eating no rubbish, staying under 1200 on non fast days, and even exerciding.

Hopefully its our bodies taking a step back before a surge forward. Though the idea of your body being a sponge, impossible, but it sounds good. If it were true, no-one on 5:2 would ever go swimming!

Thanks Milena. Chocolate has always been a weakness so will take comfort that it wasn’t more and have been pretty good up until now. Was going to not have anything else to eat to make up for it but will have some cottage cheese and a salad and get back on track and ignore the fall.

I swim regularly so hope to goodness I don’t act as a sponge! Lol

Milena, you should eat less and exercise more and you’ll lose weight! Yes?

No, wrong unfortunately. Exercise does not burn fat. Okay, it makes you fitter and more healthy, which is a good thing, but you won’t lose any fat doing it. Unless you take steroids, which I don’t advise, your body (anybody’s body) will not increase by more than 5lbs muscle per year, no matter how much you do down the gym.

Each 1lb of muscle you add to your body will burn an extra 6 calories per day, so the 5lbs of muscle you gain this year pumping those weights and running on the treadmill will raise your TDEE by 30 calories a day, which on a fast day will burn approximately 0.12 of an ounce or just over 12oz a year if you do 5:2.

Unfortunately all that the exercise will do is make you really hungry and you may be tempted to eat more. By all means use exercise to get fit and healthy, but don’t waste your time trying to use it to burn fat. Sorry.

Hi Graham,

Im having a chuckle at your concern, my exercise is a walk, though brisk walking, and some curls. Not got the wii sorted out yet. I don’t think my fat is in much danger from exercise, even if it did work that way.

I mentioned exercise, but as many here will know, its not my forte. I know I need to do more, but Im changing very slowly.

Definitely not counting exercise as fat burning, but gettingf rustrated that Im doing everything right, including some exercise, but not moving down.

Im also working with a TDEE on the sedentary level, so just 393 calories (working on 12 stone goal).

Getting over the frustration now, becoming patient instead. The curls are to stop my arms becoming skinny bingo wings instead of the fst bingo wings threy are at the moment. And Ive promised myself a gym membership when i hit 12 stones.

Topsy, I hope so too, rethinking a shower at the moment. Eggs are normal for easter, so perfect 5:2.

Janey, let us know your next weigh in, be interesting to know if my theory is correct, though probably more likely it is ‘goods in transit’!!!

Graham -you are right about exercise but it makes you feel better. Also it takes your mind off food.
    Milena – swimming is good for bingo wings. Any tips on a scraggy neck?

Hello to all..
    Easter eggs seem to be freaking everyone out. Why? Easter is a lovely excuse for a day off from self deprivation. Isn’t that what this WOL is? two days on, 5 days OFF (self deprivation).

Milena, I know exactly how you feel. I went through that a few months back (before 5:2). I was doing EVERYTHING right for at least 3 months: protein based diet, gym, trainer, walking, dieting, but my weight either stayed the same or went up!! The nutritionist I was seeing was completely confused by this as was I.

The one thing that seems to be working (albeit slowly) is this 5:2 WOL. This means tha on my 5 OFF days I do not measure, weigh or worry about calories. I do try to stay within reasonable limits, but I eat normally. This removes the urge to think about food all the time (like when I was dieting continuously). I really think that is half the battle. When we deprive ourselves, food takes on a bigger space in our thinking than it should, which (a) makes us miserable and (b) makes us want to eat more.

I may be wrong, but I do think that jolting the body’s intake up every so often helps it to not “stablize”. So, up and down jolts seem to work for me.

Janey, I seriously doubt you can “soak up” water from your bath. I would be a bloated baloon by now as I love my baths. I think Milena’s theroy of invisible gremlins is much more likely. You will probably find that you will have gone down that kilo by tomorrow.

I am lying in bed (having just had a bath) and thinking of going out for a walk. It is minus 6 degrees out but the sun is shining. However, my will power is waning as it is so nice to vegetate for a few days. I have such a hectic life normally, that it is just bliss to sit and do my Sudoko all day.

May we all be great losers by this time next year and celebrate with as much guilt free chocolate as we like.

Salma? sudoku as well, I love Sudoku, this is eerie! Laughed at the gremlins comment. Also still laughing at Gordon’s concern considering Im still not dressed yet.

Msy get dressed now, its eight o’clock, may not – have been working all day!!!

OH wants to take me for a McFlurry, but quite full from my lemon sole and stir fry. Though as Im only at 900 calories for the day, could have half or even a whole McFlurry.

But Poldark starts shortly, Ill probably opt to get breathless lusting after Aiden Turner, am I the only who actually started lusting after him as a dwarf in The Hobbit?

Chocolate and ice cream or Poldark? Hmmmmm

Bearing in mind your sage advice Salma, wonder if I can persuade OH to pop out for a msgnum for me???

Hi Salma, you are so right. That is the attraction. It’s a WOL and tomorrow is another day. It’s the greed in me that always concerns me.Its a battle and has been for the last 45 years.

Scraggy neck? I use Lancome neck cream, very expensive, but feels lovely. Not absolutely sure its working ………

Swimming, indeed good for these wings, however I don’t own a pool and on my list of things to do, going to a public pool, or much worse a gym pool, is way below going to a gym! Oddly, saw a pic of my elder sis on facebook today. HUGE bingo wings. Now I know what mine must look like, sooo much worse than looking down at them. Decided, swimming when i hit 11.5 stone, just hope this water on the knee is reduced by them.

Had a thought there, with my bingo wings and tree trunk legs, must look a bit like dumbo. But not so cute!

Will tryLancome cream. Cheers. I have swam for years. I have been at least 14 stone during that time. I have swum inI public pools and at a gym. No-one takes any notice.don’t wear a costume with a skirt – they look ridiculous. Also go with a friend. I a always chatting and laughing and not worrying what anyone thinks. Good for your knees too.give it a go x

Just in from our round of golf. The weather was not nice at all. Quite windy & very cloudy. I think the sun may have peeked out for 30 seconds at the most. 🙁 We persevered and played the whole 18 holes!I thought we might quit after 9 holes, but we trudged on. I’m really quite happy with how I’m playing this early in the season. I hope it bodes well for this summer.

Doing a bit of laundry and that will be it for the day. Being out in the wind has made me sleepy! Trying to revive with a cup of coffee.

Hope you’ve all had a lovely day!

Hmmm Milena,

Well Gimli never did it for me… And Kili was a little tall for a dwarf… But no, you aren’t the only the only one to lech over a dwarf… 🙂

Hi Happy

Would have thought height was an advantage in a dwarf! Thorin was cute too, thought he was good on the Vicar of Donkey, and Bard, lovely voice, and being a cumberbitch, even the Dragon had something!

Though outdone by LOTR or course, Boromir. Eomer (great in Bourne too), and of course Aragorn, my favourite!

Had my Magnum, still in pjs, great day!

Have a great week everyone, good luck if you are fasting tomorrow!

Travel hopefully

Milena, fair point! Although I expect if he’d been shorter I could’ve kneeled down 🙂

With the exception of Boromir (although obviously he redeemed himself in the end), I can’t fault you on your choices!

Hi Salma and all. Lori, good for you for sticking it out and not giving up. I confirmed with the new trainer today that Salma is indeed correct. We expel water, but don’t absorb it. The trainer said I gained the weight because I drink 96 oz. of water daily. However, I drink that amount every day and haven’t gained 1 1/2 pounds on a fast day so far.

As for tomorrow, since I had popcorn at the movie today, I don’t expect a great result (though I did do a workout of sorts and a good aerial session shortly before having the popcorn, and had it in the early afternoon (earlier in the day is best I’ve heard). Then we will be into the week and I can’t promise I’ll have time to post again until the weekend. However, I’m really hopeful the weight will have gone down by then.

Many thanks again for your support one and all!

Hi All

Feeling so greedy now……..

Yes I had a very small egg but tonight finished it off with a whole bar of chocolate 120gms. At least tgere isn’t any left. No fast day for me until Tuesday as I am out tomorrow. So I will feel really at odds with fast day this week being Tuesday and Thursday.

Oh dear……… What fools we are.

If I was a dog I would have my tail between my legs. whatever happened to willpower?

I hope not to feel so guilty tomorrow.

Night all

Ginette

Hi Ginette,

You had chocolate and I had popcorn. Back on the wagon tomorrow…

Weigh in day. After a week of naughtiness, which included mucho vino every non fast day, a BBQ buffet, chocolate, caramel vodka (yummy) sambucca, a big roast dinner yesterday etc, etc, ………….

I have …… lost another pound!! So my fast day followed by a liquids only day last week did the trick.

This WOL rocks!

FatGraham wrote

“Milena, you should eat less and exercise more and you’ll lose weight! Yes?

No, wrong unfortunately. Exercise does not burn fat. Okay, it makes you fitter and more healthy, which is a good thing, but you won’t lose any fat doing it.
    ……..
    Unfortunately all that the exercise will do is make you really hungry and you may be tempted to eat more. By all means use exercise to get fit and healthy, but don’t waste your time trying to use it to burn fat. Sorry.”

This seems to be the opposite of what Michael Mosley wrote in FAQ

Can I exercise on a fast day?

There is good evidence that people who exercise in the fasted state burn more fat. In one study men who exercised before breakfast burnt more fat than those who exercised afterwards. Exercise can also be a useful distraction if you begin feeling peckish. Don’t, however, attempt to do a lot of endurance training on a fasting day and if you feel uncomfortable, stop.

Crumbs, all this exercise info aimed at me – it’s wearing me out!!!

Not really lol, but it’s certainly making me think. I have been reading about loose skin after weight loss – shows I’m at least positive re losing weight, despite the ghostly beggars in the bathroom kidding me that I’m gaining.

I’m losing weight off my waiyst, luckily it goes from there first, but really worried about my tummy and legs, (my waist is nowhere near my belly button) I’ve got hanging fat at the moment, will only get worse. Most worried about thighs though.

Think I’ll be in that gym and swimming pool sooner than later.

As y’all know I have water on the knee, both knees, got so bad I have difficulty getting off the floor, and this has been a big factor in holding off exercise, it hurts and it looks awful. Was on the floor searching through a cupboard last night, got straight up without help, so something is changing.

Never considered exercise for weight loss, just starting to appreciate it’s merits for toning and for retaining and increasing muscle. If it DOES help to burn some calories, hopefully I can be a little less restrictive, after all this is a two part journey, getting to goal and then staying there. Frankly I am happy to restrict to get to my goals, but the prospect of being this restrictive for life worries me.

Oh well, plenty of time to work things out.

Travel hopefully

Morning all,
    Congratulations to the losers and commiserations to the maintainers or gainers 🙁

After a weekend of eating (and drinking) all sorts of rubbish I was relieved to have just maintained this week! As today is a bank holiday I’m not fasting. Switching it to Tues/Thurs this week. Next week will be even more difficult as I’m off work…. I may just fall off the fasting wagon entirely next week then climb back on the week after.

Still doing my 3k of moderate cycling (2 days on, 1 day off, with flexibility to switch round if life requires it) but want to start building up to HIT within that 3k. Due to the last 12 months having been spectacularly stressful though, my GP wants me to have an ECG first, which is booked for 14th April. I should get the results the following day so with a bit of luck I can start incorporating the HIT on the 16th.

Does anyone know how HIT fits within the activity levels on the home page of this site? Working on a 2 on / 1 off pattern it would work out at 4-5 times a week but probably take a total of <10 mins to get to the 3k. As I’m currently doing all my cycling at a moderate pace I’ve been counting it as a light activity level. Once fully up to the HIT (2mins moderate, 20 seconds flat out, repeat to 3k) can I count that as “moderately active”?

Tofi65, you are saying that if I do a fat check on the morning after a fast day and then do another fat check immediately after exercise I will have lost weight in fat. Technically this is correct, as your muscles contain fat that they will use during exercise when it has used all the glycogen but will then add it back when you next eat (this is why when you do weight training and then drink a high carbohydrate (sugar) drink immediately afterwards it will help to negate the soreness the next day). The muscle will not replenish the fat from the fat stores in the rest of your body though, it waits until you next eat.

You will also lose some fat during the day after you exercise because you have increased your TDEE for that day (though only if you eat less that the increased TDEE or continue the fast) and also in the long run by building muscle (6 calories per pound), but you will not lose fat from your fat stores directly through exercise. If we burnt fat exclusively during exercise, gym’s would be full of skinny people and no one would buy diet books.

Milena, know the feeling on the loose skin front. Having taken some advice from a friend who used to be really big and now has a 6-pack (as opposed to the party seven he used to have) I am applying a rich body cream to all affected areas every evening before going to bed.

https://www.lush.co.uk/products/dream-cream

The downside of course is that I go to bed like a lavender-scented oil slick but it does seem to be working.

These also help for the dreaded bingo wings…
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/Bingo-wings-blaster.aspx

Hi Firehorse, Dr Moseley in his book Fast Exercise advocates doing a warm up followed by three periods of 20 seconds HIT followed by 20 seconds of low intensity followed by a cool down period. He does this three times a week. I believe he does it while cycling home from the office.

Hi gang

As I’ve noticed some of you have had chocolate this Easter, and have quite disregarded my rules, specifically rules #4 (always tell us when you have eaten great food) and #5 (never feel guilty about eating great food) I have decided to add a new rule.

Rule #8. Do NOT eat chocolate or anything equally yummy.

Except with a glad heart.

Where possible, and practical, as you never know when such a treat comes along, adjustment a TDEE to accommodate the calories.

If you are buying chocolate, buy the best. As the best is expensive you won’t be able to buy as much and you will eat less. Godiva is good. Godiva is VERY expensive.

Do NOT stuff it in, eat slowly and enjoy each mouthful. Pause, and pause again. If you find you are stated, put the rest away (in the freezer is a good place). When you are finished eating, refer to rules 4 and 5.

If necessary, plan one day a month (yes! A MONTH!) to enjoy your extra special treat. Not only will it gives you something to look forward to, you can adjust your calories beforehand, hence making rule #5 easy.

IF you are able to eat one small square of dark chocolate at day, do so if you wish, if you find you eat the whole packet, or worse, buy loads of other chocs when you are shopping for dark chocolate, abandon this option, immediately.

Of course, I will obey my own rules.

My magnum was delicious – and I kept within TDEE, even though it was 280 calories and 15 grams of fat. Must admit that reading the fat content did put me off, so decided NOT to read the sugar content, in order to happily follow rule 5.

Travel hopefully

Hi, great idea, Ive read aloe vera is good too.

Ive a mountain of body creams, so will start using the lot.

At least Ill be less worried about absorbing water, I know Jayneys guy said it doesn’t happen, but I found myself avoiding the water in the shower last night, sort of defeats the purpose.

Milena, it’s not the fat you should watch (fat you eat is good for you) it’s the sugar that will kill you (diabetes, heart disease etc). A Magnum is 21g of sugar, which is five and a quarter teaspoons, which even before the second bite your liver was turning the first bite into fat and storing in your body.

That’s why people go to the gym, spend an hour jogging on the treadmill, then have a low fat yoghurt which contain three teaspoons of sugar and then spend the rest of the week/month/year wondering why they are not losing weight. The answer: exercise does not burn fat and they are eating too much sugar.

Or to put it another way; why spend a day fasting and then have a Magnum when all you have done is just waste your fast day. Contents of a Magnum: Milk (contains sugar), sugar, cocoa butter, coconut oil, glucose syrup (sugar), glucose-fructose syrup (sugar), need I go on.

Same with chocolate Easter eggs, you all would have been better not bothering with the 5:2 this week if you were going to stuff yourselves with chocolate, just eat as much as you can and then start again at your original weight.

Sorry, got into a bit of a rant there!

Graham.

http://authoritynutrition.com/4-ways-sugar-makes-you-fat/

Hi FatGraham
    I am not saying anything, merely pointing out that what you have written and are repeating is not compatible with what Dr Michael Mosley and others have written/said e.g. the recent programme “The truth about …Fat” where interestingly they found doing housework was more effective than a gym session as most soon tire in the gym and have to stop but can keep going much longer at a steady rate at home.

hi Graham

but I am fat because I like magnums!

The purpose of this WOL is to get to a place where magnums – and anything else containing sugar – is NOT forbidden!

So, it was not a fast day – though last week I did three fasts, and will do three this week. I did three in preparation for Easter, but I ate no eggs, had no wine, potatoes, roadt lamb, yorkshires, gravy, dessert or chocs. Fish, veg, 2 slices of bread and a few grapes.

Dont think I have had a magnum since I began, and Ive had exactly 4 choc treats and three cake treats since I began, most of those shared.

My liver is probably doing quite well, the three or four bottles of wine I sometimes have are down to zero, zilch, nadda – until I get to 80 kilos, the champagne will be opened for that.

I dont drink guiness or lager or spirits, in fact all I have at the moment is water, fizzy water, green tea, tea with half a spoon of sugar, and an odd latte.

So, as my mantra is all things in moderation, and as I absolutely refuse to feel guilty or apologise, even to myself, about my magnum, I will look forward to the next one!

And I will continue to plan such treats, because the great danger is to stick closely, too closely, to the calorie, fat and sugar content of everything we eat, will turn this WOL into a diet – and diets dont work!!!!!

Obviously, I wont go to the gym and do an hours workout and then have a low fat yoghurt – never had low fat in my life! So thats not a problem.

Nor will I have another favourite, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bread, even though the fat is good for me, except for a VERY special treat.

Rule #5 don’t feel guilty

travel hopefully

Hi Graham, you got me checking stuff now, because I am so surprised that you would rant at me, obviously NOT the prime purpose of a support forum.

21 grams of sugar is about four and a half teaspoons, wasnt it mentioned that we shouldn’t be eating more than 6 teaspoons a day of refined sugars.

I managed five and a half yesterday, in spite of the magnum and in spite of havibg sugar in my tea. Not that I was counting until you rsised the point!!!

I, and as far as I know, no-one else STUFFED ourselves. Regardless, doing 5:2 before and after the weekend is the BEST thing any of us could have done.

For many, NORMAL at Easter is chocolate, Ill bet that, if I did a poll, just about everyone on all of the forums ate less chocolate and less food than past Easters, though it was not necessary.

For that, everyone should feel wonderful about themselves, so please dont rant at me, it isn’t constructive or supportive.

We are sharing this journey, but each have our own journey, so please don’t rant at anyone, or at least dont post your rants.

We can all rant at the world, the government, the price of eggs, whatever. But not at others food choices.

Especially not on the Foodie lovers forum please.

Agree Milena! What is life without the occasional treat? If I can never again have something yummy & sweet, I might as well leap off a bridge right now!

My boot camp trainer says be “good” 80% of the time and allow for indulgences once in a while. Life/family/Holidays happen! Enjoy!

H Graham

I have got to tell you as I have mentioned before. About three years ago I exercised using the Wii. I did NOT diet in any way and I exercised for about 4 months. I lost weight. The exercise changed my eating habits as I did not feel drawn to sugary treats. I didn’t eat a lot so chocolate as I didn’t want to. There was no concious decision made to do this. Also I wasn’t really drawn to sugary foods either hence not as many cakes etc. This was much better for me as I found it difficult to restrict these foods before and would always turn to them in times of stress.

I was ofen working late so I would have either sausage and chips from the chip shop or Chinese takeaway about twice a week.

I tried to exercise on an empty stomach so started after I had put the kettle on in the morning. I also if I wanted to did a top up bit in the evening before my main meal.

I can tell you I lost over 2 stone doing this. Probably the first exercise was after eating about 12/13 hours before……not sure if this would be thought to be a faster state.

I stopped exercising as I had an acute knee injury and therefore HAD to stop. This was not from choice.

This doesn’t add up to what you are saying.

For people who have been good and still put on weight I always put on weight as the weather gets warmer and then lose it as the weather gets cooler. I think that this is just water and although I still find it annoying I have learnt to live with it. The fluctuation in water could be a reason that you seem to be either gaining or not losing.

I have bought a scales with a fat monitor and although I don’t know how accurate they are they will give me an indication of fat percentage going down or up. I hope they work as I haven’t been able to bend down and pick them up yet. (Muscle strains). They were from Aldi and I know somebody else had bought some. It would be interesting to compare results.

Yesterday I was walking about a little but seemed to have developed a John Wayne walk (not attractive in a woman). I feel it is much easier today and may tempt myself to do some exercise or wait until tomorrow. This is the result of overdoing one particular exercise.

I am only talking about how it affected me and my weight loss. Other people might react differently. I would be curious to find out. I didn’t walk as as I don’t enjoy it but I did do many other forms of exercise and often got out of breath.

Milena

You will be pleased to know I ate all of that chocolate with enjoyment and slowly, that didn’t help me stop feeling guilty afterwards.

Graham

I am sure there are also spoons of sugar in a Guinness. As long as we know what we have done if we do it to excess it is a valuable lesson learnt. I don’t eat treats on a daily basis and I think my sugar consumption is low with occasional peaks. I like to keep my liver on its toes. Also those people drinking wine shouldn’t be made to feel guilty as I am sure that is being drunk in moderation. Sugar is in many things we like beer, wine, cakes, ice cream and chocolate. We need to keep the things we like in our life as it is a WOL not completed deprivation.

This is why we last the course. We get help if we fall of the wagon and also encouragement to enjoy the treats. Our tastes will change. Mine certainly are. Crunchy nut cornflakes are now far too sweet. This is only the second box I have had in the year.

Good luck all of you who are fasting today, my first fast day of the week is tomorrow. I haven’t had a u carbs so far today but I know I will have potatoes tonight. I am eating with family so will fit in. Maybe a yoghurt for afterwards though instead of a dessert, so not completely carb free.

I hope we all manage to balance out our excesses. I sometimes do think that our system benefits from a little shake up. We don’t want it to get complacent do we?

Enjoy the rest of your day everybody.

Ginette

If anyone has got an iPhone/ iPad

Download a free app called My model. You can add before/now and after weights and it will show a model of your loss. I am sure that this is probably available on android. Perhaps someone can check.

Interesting to see.

Ginette

Regarding the sugar debate, I am reading a very interesting book called ‘that sugar book’ by Damon Gameau. A very healthy young man who managed to consume 40 tsp sugar per day for 60 days BUT only from perceived healthy foods. There were no cakes, biscuits etc. The effects on his body and mind were quite startling. He put on 10cms around his waist and 8.5kg consuming the same amount of calories. I had no idea that there was so much sugar hidden in so many foods especially the savoury ones. I am a label reader now looking at ketchup, baked beans,, chlli sauce,soup etc. Damon refers to Professor Robert Lustig who is a paediatric endocrinologist. Have a look at what he has to say about sugar and how it is making us fat. Very interesting.
    I dropped my tea consumption from 7/8 mugs a day to just 3 when I discovered how much caffeine was in tea, which also saved me 35 tsps sugar. I noticed that puddings at work were making me feel rubbish and so I ditched them too. I often have almonds on a fast day and find that they have become quite sweet to me now. My tastes have changed. I love ice cream, but having discovered that was 20g in one out of a recommended 24g in total a day, I hadn’t had them for quite some time. I treated myself last week at the theatre and found that it was Ok, but I am not sure that I would bother again.I read somewhere that rats will choose sugar over cocaine! I am trying to consume less of both hidden and obvious sugar.

Hi all, love this forum. Milena you really helped me yesterday. Yes, I too ate an Easter egg. I no longer feel guilty thanks to YouMilena. I balanced it out and have fasted today. Now waiting until 7 so I can have my 500 calorie meal. This is a positive step for me as before the egg would have made me think it had ruined everything and I might as well not bother. “normal” people eat Easter eggs.
    As we all keep saying its a WOL and if we do not have pleasure in life then it really is not worth living.
    Have walked on the beach today with my little dog and been out for lunch and not eaten anything. Hoorah.
    Good luck everyone who is fasting tomorrow or eating normally.

Just got back from our champagne and cake with our Spanish neighbour. The cake was fresh cream strawberry gateau to die for!! and I had 2, yes 2, big slices and thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful. I do not normally eat sugar rich food. I don’t have a sweet tooth. But that is what is great about this WOL, we can eat what we like on feed days, within our TDEE, and still lose weight.

Fasting tomorrow and then liquids only on Wednesday. I am hoping to lose 2lbs this week. Anyone care to join me?

Happy fasting!

Hello everryone.
    Fast day for me today to try to undo some of the damage done in the past few days.

Thanks Ginette for the App.. I downloaded it and think I will quite enjoy it.
    Applepie.. a girl after my own heart. I could almost taste the cake!

I am a bit out of my compfort zone. I do not have my bathroom scales so I do not know whether I am gaining or losing. My mother is cooking, so I have no idea what is in the food and I do not want to offend her by being picky. I do not have my frozen home made soup for my fast days. The whole family has lunch together and I seem like a misery pants for not joining in.

This is a challenge for me as the family likes to have long extended lunches and dinners, with everyone around the table, which is nice and sociable, but not great for the regimen. I have to find new ways of coping with this new situation.

The weather outside is cold and not too inviting for a walk, but I will try to will myself to do it. In the meantime, Milena, at least I am exercising my mind (or keeping it from rotting) by doing my Soduko. What level of difficulty do you manage?

To be honest, although some of the scientific information is useful and interesting, getting so stuck on ONE way of doing things becomes a bit tedious. We are all different with different ways of doing things. Yes, sugar consumption is becoming a major issue for our societies, but sweetness is the first taste that humans taste in breast milk. It is not the enemy, as no ONE thing is. People have always had sugar, heck, fruit has sugar. It is just eating mountains of it that is the problem. Stressing about every teaspoon is, as far as I am concerned, the opposite of what our new adventure should be about; learning to live in a new way, without gluttony or deprivation, but a bit of what the heart fancies every now and again. Magnums, strawberry cake, chocolate .. make life a little sweeter. The trick is not to eat them every day.

As someone said (I think Milena), if I thought I would have to live in deprivation all my life in order to maintain a reasonable weight, I thik I would rather jump of a cliff. The reason we GOT fat is because we like things a little too much. I love food.. cooking it, socialising around it, reading about it, eating it. I think that people who do not ENJOY food (not the same thing as eating massive amounts of it) cannot enjoy life, sugar and all. Moderation is the key (most of the time).

I can’t wait for 6 o’clock to come round. I am hungry and fidgety. Good luck to all those who are also fasting today. My next fast day will be Thursday.

Great minds, Applepie, Im doing liquids only on Wednesday, good to have company. Then perhaps popping over to Spain Thursday for some of that gateau!

Managed my costa latte and kept under 393 calories for the day. Wild sockeye salmon fillet and stir fry, eaten with chopsticks, so it took a while to eat. A very large wine glass full of sparkling water. And watching all those masterchef programmes meant the fish was perfectly cooked!!

Coffee so worth it, lovely chat with son and OH. They are both determined to do all they can to help me, son actually keen to chum me to the gym. (Did offer not to talk to him there, but he was having nothing of it). Both have completely changed their diet to help me, no smell of bacon frying for over a week. Son asked for no easter eggs, first time ever.

Travel hopefully

The only ‘diet’ that will help you lose a lot of weight is: no sugar, no grain, no vegetables that grow below ground and only one fruit per day (if you have to have one, otherwise don’t).

Eat a lot of protein & saturated fat and you will feel full for longer and lose weight; I had bacon and eggs today at 11am and I do not yet feel hungry, though I have a steak in the fridge and a recipe for mushroom sauce which I imagine I may possibly having about 11pm. A fast day for me will be a cooked breakfast and nothing until the next day. I bet I’ll lose more weight than the rest of you, even without exercising.

Yes, we’ve had sugar for a long time, at least the 1500’s, but it doesn’t mean it’s good got you. We’ve had hard drugs like opium for longer, does that mean they are good for you? We’ve only had grain for about 10,000 years and the body has not yet acclimatised itself to it, which is why so many people suffer from gluten resistance; that’s not good for us!

N.B. I haven’t had a Guinness for over a week, got grain in it you see.

You keep believing what you like, I’ll keep believing the truth.

Good job we aren’t on a ‘diet’ then, a lot of folk on here would think life would not be worth living!!!

Actually the best ‘diet’ if you want to lose a lot of weight quickly would be a month long or six week fast. Just water. If your objective is to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible. Certainly doable. Possibly not recommended. Tends to cause loss of libido and loose skin. Probably others problems, but they are two which put me off the whole idea.

My evening stirfry, it seems, was a disaster. Onions, leeks, carrots – all underground veg. Luckily I had bell peppers, snow peas, cabbage and mushrooms.

EXCEPT – they all contain sugar!!!!!!

Very little contains no sugar, beef doesnt, but mushrooms do, water doesn’t, but wine does. Bacon doesn’t but eggs do!

Your regime may suit you, but not all of us. Personally, red meat is a rare treat, fish is my choice for protein. Doesn’t mean one is correct and one is wrong.

I am right behind you, I sincerely hope you lose more weight than me, if you need to lose more weight, or want to lose more weight than me. Not a problem. Will be so chuffed for you, even more so if I get to my goals and you are still losing more. And I will feel the same for everyone, whether their goal is 10 pounds or 100 pounds.

And when we reach goal, I hope for support staying there, and at the same time Ill be pushing, pulling, cajoling and willing everyone to get to their goals.

When I falter, I will hope for help, and when others falter I will be there to give cyber hugs, to share a tear, to hand out the klennex and to shove you back aboard.

Because this is our shared WOL.

Because we are all on this journey.

Because I sincerely believe that together we can be a much much more powerful force than trying to do this alone.

Because chocolate is a bit like the taste equivalent of the lilies of the field. The lilies for their beauty and chocolate for its taste. Both God given.

Because sharing food is good for the soul. Trifle and apple crumble particularly.

And finally, because we need to be kind to one another, and kind to ourselves.

Just finished a 40 minute walk in the snow. I am quite proud of myself especially as the fast is still going strong. Dinner will be a small piece of grilled salmon and lots of broccoli & vegetables. Feeling very virtuous.

Graham, I appreciate that you are very determined to follow the path you are on and that is great, but it is stretching it to say “the ONLY way to lose weight… etc”. There is no ONE way. No one has a handle on the TRUTH. Many of the world’s problems occur because people begin to think their way is the ONLY way to the TRUTH. I say, live and let live. Whatever works for you, great. It may or may not be the best thing for someone else.

I think we have to be tolerant, of our own follies, and of the differences of others. A forum is a place of discussion, encouragement and whinging when you are down. It is not a place for any type of dogma, least of all food related.

On another note, I am rather jealous of your steak and mushroom sauce. Sounds amazing. I hope you enjoy it for the both of us.

Good night fellow travelers.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.