Metallic taste

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cooplose 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• After a fast day I’m left with a slight metallic taste on my tongue. Is this normal, why does this happen and how do I get rid of it.

Here is an interesting link found with entering “metallic taste in mouth when fasting” in Google search 😀

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1800904

Aye, fasting can kick off ketosis. However the link is very wrong in saying that you have to do a water fast for this.. just don’t eat any carbs! Carbs = glucosis, no matter how you turn them. So if you don’t eat carbs your body is forced to switch to fat burning anyway. You’ll still get some discomfort, but listing “fever, diarrhea” and some other nasty stuff as side-effects of a water fast… no thanks.

I’ve done zero carbs before and it still wasn’t a lot of fun. I lasted for about 1,5 weeks, at the end of which I just felt tired and weak so added some carbs back. Now I’m doing very low carb again, and see how long I’ll last. I’m thinking about going 6 days zero-carb and then have Sunday as a “feast” day so to say. Seeing how I exercise heavily I need some carb loading to keep my muscles going.

Anyway, I’ve been talking about myself too long now without really bothering about your question Price, sorry 😉 The metallic taste is because your body is producing ketones from fat burning. This can’t really be helped by anything else than eating more carbs to get your body out of ketosis… but ketosis = fat burning, so maybe that’s worth the taste? 😉

Hi vbprice, Yeah it’s ketosis and it’s a good thing. You get used to it after a while and I find it wears off after a day or so of non-fastdays and sometimes I don’t get it (or notice it) at all. It doesn’t seem to actually equate to ‘bad breath’ noticable to others but if it bothers you, have some low calorie sugar free gum handy and pop one of those whenever you start to notice it.

I’ve got to quite like it and it makes me feel like I’m doing something right 😀

Developed this after 6 months on the diet. Happens on the days after my fast. I have hashimotos, but my endocrinologist says my number are fine. My ear, nose, throat dr. suggested it was acid reflux. Nothing seems to help, although it does decrease after 3 days–by which time I’m back on a fast day. I also feel like my weight has stabilized. I want to stay on this, but I wish I could get rid of this taste in my mouth–I’m concerned it’s negatively affecting my teeth.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.