Max calories to stay in ketosis?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Pot-bellied Heron 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

• I started 5:2 in september and initially tried to spread my 500 calories accross the day, but I lost no weight and couldn’t cope with the hunger pangs. Then I started just having all my 500 calories at dinner, with zero calories during the day (just a green tea in the morning for the caffeine), and I started losing a pound a week. I figure that my body needed to go into ketosis to actually shift the pounds.

I am sick of green tea, I actually hate it. Black coffee isn’t an option because it gives me bad breath, so I’m going to need to go back to black tea with milk (no sugar). I figure semi skimmed is better than skimmed because having more fat in it leave less room for lactose and I only have a splash of milk, but will this bring me out of ketosis for any significant period?

I know that my body will use some of the lactose as energy, I figure it can’t be for that long, but it’s going to try and do that as efficiently as possible; I don’t know enough about the science behind all this.

Body building forums state all sorts of numbers from 10 calories to 50 and most of my googling has been fruitless. Anyone know?

Thanks 🙂

My understanding is that you won’t get into ketosis on the 5:2 though I haven’t really looked into it.

Some sites I’ve read suggest ketosis starts 8 to 12 hours after your last meal, others suggest it’s actually much longer – 48 hours. Which had me confused anyway.

Normally i’d just experiment but I have a month until my love handles need to not show under my wedding dress and would prefer not to delay further weightloss 😛

It’s so little milk I have to believe it won’t make a difference! Also hoping it won’t affect IGF-1 levels but I think lots of people on here have already proved that it doesn’t because their levels have dropped even though they spread the calories out during the day.

If your breath smells like nail polish remover you’re in ketosis.

Ah, atkins breath! that would make sense. guess I won’t be going around asking people though 😉

Hi atcgirl, you can buy ketosis test strips at the drug store to test your urine. They are called “keto strips”. They will change colour when you are in ketosis and burning ketones for fuel.

Thanks In it to thin it, I knew there was a way of testing and was going to google later but forgot. You’ve reminded me and saved me the hassle!

Hi atc:

Ketosis is a defined term meaning a majority of the body’s energy is coming from fat. When water fasting, it takes the body about three days to get into ketosis. A body can go into ketosis from water fasting, from eating a high fat extremely low carb diet, or both. Of course, your body burns fat before going into ketosis but it is just not getting a majority of its energy from fat. My 6 Dec 15 post on this thread talks a little more about ketosis: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/.

Good Luck!

I was under the impression that stored glycogen was consumed after about 12 hours. Youre saying ketosis comes in after 3 days. So what is the majority calorific source that you are consuming from the 12 hour mark to 72 hour mark? If its not glycogen and its not fat that only leaves (muscle) protein. I find it hard to believe that the body opts for protein as its major food source for 2 1/2 days rather than stored fats?

Thank you simcoeluv I will have a look. Really does sound like I won’t be hindering the diet with a cup of tea then.

I echo bigbooty, would be vey interested to know as I can’t find a consensus via Google. Maybe I’m searching with the wrong terms.

Hi big and atc:

I explain it in my post that I referenced.

Good Luck!

Someone is going to have to come up with the science facts on this one.

My understanding is that when fasting ketosis doesn’t “fully” kick in until all stores of glucose/glycogen are depleted in 48/72 hours, this can be quickened by eating a high protein diet for a day or two before beginning a fast. (Ketosis onset is a gradual process, not lighting off a bottle rocket.)

Now that’s my understanding and is one reason I do 4-5 day fasts once a month.

Someone point me to a scientific time line on this one please.

Most of the internet is full of rubbish with people pushing a certain agenda or just plain mis-information. The best article Ive found is by a Dr Peter Attia. Its pretty heavy reading though. He is saying full ketosis cuts in from between 24-72 hours. You can never run out of glucose (otherwise death is not too far away) so if your not ingesting it its being converted from stored fats by the liver, after the liver has depleted its stored glycogen. So I suspect that ketosis ramps up slowly and is going at 100% somewhere between 24 and 72 hours.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i

thanks Bigbooty; some lunchtime reading!

Steadily losing a pound or so a week has been great (apart from bingeing at christmas a little!), but I really need to get rid of this layer of subcutaneous fat around my belly – I’ve shrunk everywere else but there. I know that fasting increases blood flow to subcutaneous fat so that it’s slightly more accessible, but apparently it’s still a pain to shift it. I might have to look into doing a water fast for a few days to see if that helps.

I find the 2 days of fasting are much better (more successful) if done consecutively due to the benefit of ketosis. I find that by day 2, my body goes into a state of ketosis, I don’t feel as hungry and I burn much more fat (sometimes over 2 pounds in 2 days!). Nowhere near that fat loss if the 2 days are apart. But, if you eat ANY carbs at all during the 2 days it STOPS KETOSIS in its tracks and makes you really HUNGRY (because your blood glucose goes up), even carby vegies are bad, like tomatoes and pumpkin!

How long it takes to get into ketosis is not a fixed amount of time as it depends on several factors. What is important that you are losing weight.
    If you are not doing so already you could limit your eating window on non fast days for example only eating between noon and 8pm. A small study has shown that it helps in losing body fat without restricting calories.

Someone posted this on another thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/zBx3JZJCKfNBrWgT0Qyj93/the-big-experiment-could-i-lose-fat-just-by-changing-my-meal-times

Jogomo – that sounds like something I could manage. Do you consume any calories at all in the 2 days? if so what do you have?

Thanks atcgirl – yes, I try to stick to 600-700 cals per day. Late morning I make a whey protein shake/smoothie with 50 ml milk and 6 strawberries (as they are low carb) = approx 150 cals. Early afternoon I have two hard boiled eggs on a green salad = approx 150 cals, then dinner is 80g of cooked skinless chicken with green veg (no starchy veg) = approx 150 cals. I also love my coffee with milk – I have about 4-5 with skim milk = 120 cals. If hungry at night, I have a low cal vanilla yogurt tub (no fruit) = 70 cals. By day 2, ketosis kicks in, and it’s fairly easy going.

Oh, and a quick footnote to my previous post – I also drink LOTS of water (10+ glasses on fast days). I read somewhere that this helps the body process the breakdown of fat and convert all that protein into energy 🙂 I find that if I don’t drink enough water, I don’t lose as much fat.

A lot of good answers here in relation to ketosis.

I just came back here after joining a very strict ketogenic site (ruled.me …felt almost like a cult!) , and I now think some people take it too far measuring ketones and blood glucose and constantly worrying about it.

Personally, and it may not work for everyone, I started low carb/ slightly high fat at the same time I started 5:2, then 4:3. When I need to lose more, since I am almost to my ultimate goal, I do a 3-4 day liquid fast. On non-fast days, I don’t snack, don’t cheat, do HIIT on fast days, weights on NF days.

Listen to your body, look in the mirror, decide how you feel. The first few days going into ketosis feel like crap (keto flu), but as soon as your body adjusts, you feel great. Your weight starts dropping.

Each person has to experiment to find their dietary “sweet spot”.

And simcoeluv, awesome post!

Thanks again Jogomo, I’ll give it a go.

Hi fit:

Thanks!

I agree with you that some take worrying about ketosis and fat burning too seriously.

The less you eat, the more you lose!

I think some are just trying to do what they can to improve on their weight loss. Yes 5:2 works, on it’s own, as Michael has written it in his book. But this section of the forum is called ‘the science of intermittent fasting’ and surely you’d expect it to be a place where people ask questions and pose theories not just about 5:2, but about fasting in general, and more in depth science questions to boot.

I agree atcgirl. I have been SO frustrated some days (over the past 2 years) when I have strictly stuck to 500 cals on a fast day, and not lost a single gram of fat on the scales the next morning (lots of reasons for that obviously). So your first post in the forum really resonated with me! But reading more ‘science’ about what to eat and do on the 2 fast days has really helped me refine my diet, boost the weight loss and keep me more motivated. So now, if I put on a couple of kilos over Xmas, I know I can drop them off in a couple of weeks, and not a couple of months. Good luck with your 5:2 journey! 🙂

Hi actgirl and Jogomo,

Dr Peter Attia is a hard core ketiogenic diet person. Very little carbs. I cant say I follow his diet but I may eventually give it an experimental try and see if its for me. The first link is him just talking about why he went down this path and his diet. The second link is a “sample” of what he eats.

Jogomo perhaps its what you are eating on your fast days that is preventing you from going into ketosis and hence no fat loss? Perhaps not all calories are created equal? Maybe try very low carb foods and more protein and fats to get to your 500 cal limit? Because Im lazy I just find it easier to do zero calories on my 2 consecutive fast days as I cant be bothered counting calories. I figure by the end of the second day I have to be into ketosis.

http://eatingacademy.com/media/videos-of-peter-attia

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/what-i-actually-eat

Has anyone else noticed that they run slightly “hot” when they have reached ketosis? Definitely by the second day if I touch my stomach Im running hotter than usual. From what Ive read not everyone experiences this. Anyone else experience this? At least its easy for me to sense when Ive hit ketosis.

I can’t say I’ve ever been in ketosis. Then again my longest water fast was only 72 hours.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply.