Making a good fist of fasting

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi

I’ve been doing this for 3 months so thought it was time I stopped lurking.

I do zero cal fasts Mondays and Thursdays; have had 2 weeks off for holidays.

I’ve learnt so much from everyone on the forum, especially long term fasters, so I haven’t panicked when I’ve gained some weeks or now that I’m stuck at 10 stone for a bit. Also many thanks to USA and others who have done research on nutrition and fasting and shared the info – Dr Jason Fung’s lectures are amazing and I will follow up on the Wheat Belly and the Grain Brain too.

I’ve lost around 10 lbs so far and rediscovered my waist. Best thing so far is that my knuckles are less stiff than they were. I can make a fist when I wake up with far less resistance than I had before and I can make a fist any time later in the day with no problems at all. I must see if the knees have improved – I’ve gone off fell walking a bit because of the pain of going downhill. I don’t know if the improvement is the fasting itself or because rebooting eating twice a week gives me more control on the feed days and I’ve cut down on junk, carbs and snacking (but am far from angelic, as eating nothing is far easier than eating a little or avoiding a particular food).

So when the weight isn’t going I tell myself that my body has something more important to do than dump lard!

Sounds like you’ve had a really positive beginning barbarita, well done you! I don’t mind a bit of fell walking these days (used to hate hills when I was younger) hate walking down hill though – I just have to run. This is fine until you fail to notice a big ditch, or clump of nettles, or dry stone wall or something at the bottom of the hill. 😉

Fun times! Happy fastday.

Running down hills… caused me quite an injury once when I didn’t notice the hill turned into a 10 feet drop onto a road near somewhere halfway down 🙁 Luckily I had the reflex to just drop myself on the ground instead of allowing myself to plummet down to the asphalt (perhaps even in front of a car).

Yay, I’m rambling!
    Hey Barba! Well you already know some of us, if you’ve been lurking I guess 😉 The zero calorie fasts sound interesting, I’m kind of tempted to try those myself – but for now I’m working out 6 days a week, almost dying every time so I really want some protein afterwards, also on my fastdays. My fastdays tend to be just that though, some protein (1 cooked chicken breast filet usually) and some salad.

Keep us updated, and stop lurking! 🙂

HI Barbarita,

Sometimes you just can’t help but realise just how global this all is. I had to scratch my head re fell walking. I got stuck on thinking falling down. Dont have that terminology in Australia. Took me a moment to realise – oh the FELLS. Shaking my head at myself. Sounds like it would be a nice thing to be doing though.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I’m a comparative newbie with only 3 fasts under my belt – but I think that I’m a convert now.

This 5:2 thing has been playing with my brain – I got up to get myself some chips and sat back down with a fresh strawberry smoothie. What’s the go with that?

Greetings TracyJ, ghostgirl and Nika!

Well I’ve climbed two little fells (on fastdays!) and the going down was not so bad but the real proof will be in the spring when I try the steep scree descent from the top of Skiddaw! If I had run downhill and not used my knees as brakes in my youth my knees might be in better nick but I would rather go uphill twice than down and at my age daren’t risk a crash landing on the bottom.

Otherwise I have lost two pounds in the last week despite a mega latte and chocolate twist in Costas on Saturday. It seems as if this diet works over a period and no need to obsess about ‘what I did wrong’ in a particular week, just keep going. Perhaps I am a bit complacent as I’ve just snuck into ‘normal’ BMI. I’d love to know what my weight should be – could I get down to 9 stone? I’ll see at the end of another 3 months.

Thanks for the update Barba! I too am a bit worried about my knees sometimes, mostly because I do a lot of twisting and quick movements as a martial artist. Just have to stay careful and they should last me a few years more 😉

Grats on reaching ‘normal’ BMI! I don’t really trust BMI though, they just take height and weight, not build or muscle mass. So I tend to trust fat% more than BMI.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.