Lost then gained it all back…:(

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lost then gained it all back…:(

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  SAMM 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Looking for long-term success stories for support. I started this diet at the end of Feb and lost 14 pounds in 11 weeks. Fell off the wagon and was only fasting occasionally because mentally I just couldn’t do it anymore. Gained back 16 pounds in 8 weeks. I’m so frustrated and trying to get back into it.

I feel like on my non-fasting days my body goes into panic mode and keeps wanting more and more…maybe trying to store for my next fasting day? I am also an emotional eater…especially during PMS.

When I first started doing this I thought it was great and a lifelong solution but now I wonder if it’s just another fad diet that I won’t be able to stick to and will just keep yo-yo dieting.

Any long-term success stories are much appreciated!

I am afraid that the 5:2 plan doesn’t deal with emotional eating very well. If you overeat on the non fast days, you will not lose much or none at all.

Alternate Day Fasting is another approach to use. It worked for me.

I am addressing the emotional eating with Paul McKenna’s book Freedom from Emotional Eating. It has a CD, DVD and then I bought the app for my Ipad as well.

Some days I eat when hungry and it ends up be 500 calories.

It is a slow process to change the habits that emotional eating gradually inserts into your life. Fortunately, these are just habits that can be changed.

EEH,

Don’t give up. Or in. Tomorrow is another day. You can see the results here

http://mymorningcup-chc.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-5-2-fast-diet-after-one-year.html

Or start in the very beginning of my Profile journal. This is the end of my first year and I have been on the 6:1 Maintenance since April.

Emotional overeating is a huge one…but at least you are AWARE of it. Meditation to help center yourself and cope with the stress may be a good option. I gained a great deal of mine when I was at my heaviest while helping my (late) husband battle cancer…trying to fix these calorie laden meals to keep weight on him…and also from the stress of it all.

DON’T GIVE UP!

That’s an incredible achievement Carla, made all the more incredible by circumstances. I have a lot of respect for that.

EEH – sorry to hear. Like any diet, the Fast Diet only works if you look at it as a change in overall eating habits. If you treat it as temporary by “cheating” on fast days, overeating on “off” days or dropping the routine altogether, the weight can come back.

For me, it helps to think of the Fast Diet as a way to reshape my thinking of calorie intake, but with allowances on off days to have the brownie or ice cream (but not too much!). And yes, I have had occasions where I’m at a BBQ or a party and over indulge – that’s okay because I make sure to get right back into intermittent fasting the next day. It’s my new “normal” with overindulgent days as the rare situation.

This strategy has worked for me for going on 17 months since I started the Fast Diet in March of 2013. I went from 200lbs to 168lbs in the first eight months and have maintained between 170 and 166 since. I haven’t been “perfect” in following, but so long as I stick with it overall, this diet strategy has worked better for me than any other temporary fix (e.g., Atkins, South Beach, etc. – I’ve tried them all!). Good luck!!

I started last year at 274lbs and now 221. Not all of it has been from fasting.
    The first year I lost 33lbs
    I stopped and eventually went back to shopping as I ave always done in the past and regained 5lbs back.

So on the anniversary of starting in 2013 , 2014 I started again. And so did the weight loss very slowly.
    2014 I started with much more activity a lot more walking on my job and trying to adjust that to a diet that loses weight wether I fast or not, I also joined this forum . I just have to say. Having online friends like on JoJo thread and the others on her thread have kept the dieting somewhat social and keeps me focussed week to week and month to month. I doubt I would have stuck to fasting as much if it were not for posting on the threads.

I like what fast Jim is saying. And I’m convinced that the 5:2 is a good compliment to eating normally and then fasting 1-2 days a week to balance calories.

As for me I count my calories over a 7 day period. on a menu.
    And then try to have the menu items ready. In the freezer already counted.

When I’m out I try to order fish – grilled. This helps me keep from eating the junk food. I looked carefully in a food journal. I keep . My problem meal were almost always when eating out. – Great stuff- but undermining my fasting days. So I just decided until I reach my goal. I look at the fish first and dump the bread for meals when eating out.

I also stopped eating mt weekly spaghetti tuesday dinner. Which was a carb loading meal if there ever was 1. So basically I swapped a weekly fish meal for my spaghetti meal on the menu. I’m just guessing , but I think I busted my plateau by eating more fish. And even bigger guess is that by my body getting accustomed to burning the fat from fish, it also gets accustomed to burning my on fats in my body when on fasting or simple calorie resstriction.

So perhaps you could restart with 6:1 by having a low carb day then a fast day 2 time a week And see if at least the weight gain stops?
    My experience is when i have days that are high carb days, my fast days are a struggle. I’m guessing just guessing it’s like. A candy bar rush, then a sugar crash. But on a slower timescale. As the carbs from day before the fast day are consumed, the the body screams for the complex carbohydrates it’s accustomed to. Feed it fish instead is my advice, as it will the body get accustomed to using fat as fuel.
    Nuts are good too but are usually high in calories. I’d have to say over all . It my ability to count calories that. Has made the biggest difference, because it helps me plan my menu.
    And then as fast Jim implies Use fasting as way of balancing the calories over several days.
    Join us on JoJo 2 lb a week thread if you wish. I believe some of us still have 50lbs to go so will be there for some time to come yet.

I totally agree SAMM re the carb/ fish theory. Has pretty much been our experience too. I wonder if Michael can look into the connection of less complex carbs and eating more fish?
    Cheers PVE

A very strong suggestion in the eat, fast, live longer video to eat fish. Is what I took the challenge to do . It was simply an exercise of doing the math on the menu . Swap fish for a 1500 calorie plate of carbs. And in for weeks. Is 4000 calories less! Fish with tea instead of soda.

Also if it makes it less daunting just learn to count carbs, because the carbs are basically sugar. Then as you get used to it count the fats and proteins.

One of my favorite meals

At cracker barrel.
    Grilled catfish, steamed carrots, turnip greens, fried okra.
    575 calories is my estimate.
    I save the cornbread for the next feed day or it would be 1125 calories.

SAMM
    Ooops….I replied on Jojo’s thread. Sorry. PVE

Samm & PVE:

Hate to break up the fish love fest, but if you are diabetic, fish are not the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbnshVO4PRM at around minute 46.

I know it is hard to believe, but saturated fat is the answer.

Sorry.

Thank you for the replies! I think if I can figure out how to get my emotional eating under control I’ll be successful again. Just bought a book “Normal eating for normal weight”…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.