Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 16,657 total)

• http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18770328

An interesting link. I used to be a Tongan, but now I’m a Czech.
    TW

Nicky that’s so impressive! That lovely feeling when one “wins” is so much nicer than the guilt! Yay for 5:2!

Lizzy I envy you, nothing is more exciting than a new baby! Your daughter is very lucky but I am sure she realizes that. Such an exciting time.

Just waking up , yesterday was so tough , 12 hour shift. I apologize if I havent answered any queries.
    Ive so much to do and not enough time.

people a flocking to bring holiday food to us since my wife isnt up to cooking any longer. I imagine its not just an American culture thing to bring food to a family that has someone that isnt well.

I appreciate all but wow. I wind up taking modt of to work and sharing with the gang there.
    Its dang hard to pass up all the homemade comfort foods.

From RT’s link. I just copy and paste the url in the address bar of browser.
    After I made all the little adjustments. I have to admit seeing it has made a impression on me, especially when I include the muscular outcome. As if I were toreach my 100lbs goal ill not want to look not muscular. So was worth the time and effort to see it.
    thanks again RT

Tangatawiwi that’s very funny! I am equivalent to a person from Grenada! At least it told me that my BMI was lower than 55% Aust females my age! Nice to know……

SAAM I am so sorry to hear that your wife is so unwell. Just as well you have such big shoulders to carry your whole family x x

Just waking up , yesterday was so tough , 12 hour shift. I apologize if I havent answered any queries.
    Ive so much to do and not enough time.

people a flocking to bring holiday food to us since my wife isnt up to cooking any longer. I imagine its not just an American culture thing to bring food to a family that has someone that isnt well.

I appreciate all but wow. I wind up taking modt of to work and sharing with the gang there.
    Its dang hard to pass up all the homemade comfort foods.
    17 pies and 4 cakes , 4 hams and more cassarol s than know what to do with. Such a blessing!
    Mostly I just feed to those coming in for visits.
    Ill go 1 more fastday before a planned break. Till the new year.

From RT’s link. I just copy and paste the url in the address bar of browser.
    After I made all the little adjustments. I have to admit seeing it has made a impression on me, especially when I include the muscular outcome. As if I were toreach my 100lbs goal ill not want to look not muscular. So was worth the time and effort to see it. Because I feel its important to reach a climatic goal as opposed to a bittet sweet goal of not liking being too thin or still pudgy. The body image give a better idea of what my goal I want other than just a frivolous number.
    thanks again RT

Wiwi, I used to be Samoan, now I’m from Argentina!

SAMM, so sad to hear of your wife’s downturn and so kind of your family, friends and neighbours. Probably just as well you’re taking a break as you’ll need all your energy to take care of your family and yourself.

Lizzie it’s such a wonderful time, all the grandies are special but the very very first is, for me, ultra special. I have a great connection with all my grandies and the eldest and youngest for some reason resonate more with me (but I don’t differentiate between them all as it would not be fair).

Nicky well done you!!! That IS a major achievement … I was offered a TimTam yesterday and I allowed myself to take one … it was not a fast day so no guilt

Sorry Samm to hear that your wife is not well.
    Yes, bringing food to people with problems is a custom here. However one custom in the US really struck me- my brother who was working in N Carolina had to come home after our mother passed away.
    His colleagues all donated one day of paid leave to enable him not to lose any salary. Knowing just how little leave people have in the US compared to Europe, this was an enormous gift.

All the best
    TW

SAMM I hope your wife recovers quickly. Hugs. It’s so kind of friends and neighbours to help when there’s a debilitating sickness in the home.

Wiwi that was a truly self sacrificing gift to that person by his work colleagues. Some people are just so amazingly generous.

Catch up more later ๐Ÿ˜€

Hi all:

For those of you new to this thread, Samm’s wife has terminal cancer and has only a few months. I admire his continued posting and helping people lose weight and gain better health through nutrition and exercise. I often say a prayer for his wife and he and his daughter, and invite you to join me. If that isn’t your thing, maybe a positive thought might help.

Simcoeluv thank you for alerting those of us who are relatively new to the thread. SAMM my heart goes out to you and your family. Apologies for my first sentence of my last post but the rest is, I hope, relevant to you, particularly the HUGS. I’ll join Simcoeluv with my prayers for you all. Just wish there was more I could do.

Hi all,

Just so you don’t worry. I won’t be posting for a while. I’ve had excruciating nerve pain in my Right arm, which the wonderful sports physiotherapist diagnosed as referred pain from my shoulder and back and neck. ALL brought on by too much use of the iPad and poor posture resulting from this. So I’m banned from iPad and iPhone by my PT. She is a miracle worker and has given me back my mobility, including ability to put on my own bra and shirt. So, I must listen to her and stop posts. Will read but not comment. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Samm, my thoughts and good wishes are with you and your family. People are so kind in these times. All the best, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care of yourself Bay. I alternate between phone and pc depending on what I’m doing at the time. Earlier I was on the computer now I’m on the phone to respond. Hope your neck, back etc are better soon.

Good morning all

It’s a very frosty foggy one here this morning, and no doubt in other parts of the UK too.

Weigh-day today, and I have stayed the same again, which doesn’t surprise me, as it is such a social time at the moment. Previously I would have said “oh what the hell” and indulged on the days in between too, resulting in the usual Christmastime gain, but I have been stringent with the fasting, and will be happy to stay this weight for the next few weeks – a pound off the 2.5st and wearing clothes I haven’t worn for a long time. Well done everyone else – can’t mention individually as I have to be out early today to take mother shopping.

I’m looking forward to York – Jojo seems to be having a great time in Ireland – what a little globe-trotter she is!

I have been in touch with Hermaj. She is fine – just has a few things to deal with at the moment and will let us know when she receives her results, which is now expected to be in December.

Must dash, but thought you might be interested in this snippet from this morning’s ‘Telegraph’. I hope those around us who have been negative in their attitude to this WOE will now re-consider! :
    Modern diets of three meals per day plus snacks are “abnormal” in terms of human evolution, while periods of fasting can shrink tumours and protect brain cells, according to new paper

Fasting regimes such as the โ€˜5:2โ€™ diet could help the body guard against diseases including cancer, diabetes and Alzheimerโ€™s, according to a new study published today.
    The common eating pattern in modern societies, of three meals per day plus snacks, is actually โ€œabnormalโ€ in terms of human evolution, and is at-odds with the bodyโ€™s natural rhythms, the paper finds.
    The study, a review of a wide range of scientific research into the effects of limiting calorie intake on the human body, calls of doctors to encourage patients to adopt ‘intermitten energy restriction’ diets such as the 5:2 diet, where participants eat normally for five days and then eat no more than 500 calories for two days.
    Such eating patterns are in fact much more consistent with that of wild animals and โ€œhunter-gatherer humans [who] rarely, if ever, suffer from obesity, diabetes, and cardio-vascular disease.โ€
    Entitled โ€˜Meal frequency and timing in health and diseaseโ€™, the paper is published today in PNAS, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in the USA.

Have a good day/evening all

Smiffy x

Just had to say SAMM – thoughts are very much with you. I don’t think it’s just the American culture that brings all that kindness to your door, but the high regard that your neighbours, quite rightly , have for you. What an amazing man you are.

Bay – so sorry to hear about your pain. Get well soon, though keeping off this thread will be so hard!

Take care all x

Samm
    This is my third message to you. Neither of the others have posted. ๐Ÿ™
    Keep strong, mate. We are all with you. P x

Likewise Samm my thoughts and prayers go out for and your family.

Samm I wrote a long post and lost it :(. I wanted to say that you are such a great support to us here and your family . I am so pleased that friends and neighbours are helping too . You are always in my prayers too .

Well done on the loss AO . Sorry I meant to say that last night .
    I am sending a big cyber hug to all of you ..

Wee xx

Hi SAMM

I am so sorry I didn’t realise that this upbeat, informative, funny poster had such a sad situation to deal with until Simcoeluv posted today. My heart goes out to you and I will definitely keep you in my thoughts.

Jinkins x

Hello Fast Trackers
    South Aussies (Nicky Emel and Aussie Oma) Victoria (Nama) ACT (Bay) NSW (PVE) and SAMM HappyNow Amazon Jojo Herm Ply Weemam Smiffy and Hello World (You know Who you Are)
    Samm a quote from the Dalai Lama “when we meet real tragedy in life we can react in two ways-either by losing hope and falling into self destructive habits or by using the challenge to find our inner strength” you are certainly a great human being SAMM with amazing poise knowledge and grace Mate I offer up my positive thoughts for your wife yourself and your family as you begin your fasting break today all the best for the recharge.
    Bay I hope your back when you are ready also positive thoughts your way
    Peace
    RT

Good evening all, no time to chat and no contact tomorrow. Great day visitin Kilkenny Castle and Waterford( including crystal). Controlled most food but gave in to a scone with jam and cream, sorry guys, it was lunch though.
    Looking forward to fast tomorrow.
    Love to everyone, be good
    Samm – hugs and kisses to you and yours xxx

Hiya Jojo … Safe journey home pal .

Wee xx

Thinking of you and your family Samm.In my prayers.

Good morning all … it’s meant to be a pleasant 24oC today with lots of sunshine (yay). I had my garlic last night and although still feeling unwell with this cold it’s not progressed any further just yet and I hope it doesn’t (I can’t have the garlic twice my stomach rebelled 3/4 of the way through last night … mind you I was still full up from dinner). Just need to get rid of the accompanying headache which I will soon (determined).

SAMM as RT says you ARE an amazing person and my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.. massive cyber HUGS for you all.

Bay hoping you’re getting some relief from the back pain.

Hi and welcome to bigmarie.

Hi to RT, Nama, PVE, Wiwi, Wee, Smiffy, Hermaj, Jinkins, Jojo, Lizzy, Emel, Nicky and everyone else. I have to run as otherwise I’ll not be ready for work in time … catch up with you all later, have a fun FD/non-FD all ๐Ÿ˜€

Get out in that sun AO and heal quickly.
    Hope your arm is feeling easier this morning Bay.
    Have a good trip home Jojo.
    And love to you Samm. P x

Good morning FT mates.

SAMM, wish I could do more than send good vibes. Your neighbours and friends sound fantastic.

Wiwi, what amazing generosity from your brother’s colleagues.

Bay, hope your posting abstinence means your aches disappear quickly.

AO, good advice from Purple. It’s a busy time of year but take some for yourself to get better.

Glad to hear all OK with Hermaj.

Lost track of time but the Yorkies rendezvous must be soon. Don’t forget to let the rest of us know all about it.

Came across this about how to avoid gaining over Christmas and beyond:

Focus on the meaning of the season. Make an effort to think about the real meaning of the holidays this season and consider giving more of yourself. Whether you volunteer at a homeless shelter or read to an elderly neighbor, helping others will keep you happy and busy โ€” and keep your mind off of food. Also enjoy non-food-related activities like concerts, a production of the Nutcracker, caroling, or snowman-making.

Watch out for mindless nibbling. Keeping a food journal during the holidays when itโ€™s all too easy to mindlessly reach for another Christmas cookie or a piece of ribbon candy while watching TV or sitting at the computer will increase your awareness of what actually goes into your mouth. Better yet, keep a journal and turn off the electronics!

Schmooze rather than booze. At holiday parties, stick with one or two nonsugary drinks max and then keep a glass of water in your hand as you make a point to chat with family and friends as far from the bar as possible. Holding the water will also make it harder for you to navigate the buffet or juggle that plate of canapรฉs.

Stick with your exercise routine. Exercise not only burns calories it also decreases holiday stress and increases energy. If you canโ€™t find the time for your regular workout, at least get outside for a short walk or do some aerobic dancing in your living room.

Get plenty of sleep. If youโ€™re overtired, you wonโ€™t be able to enjoy the holidays the way you want and it may also cause you to gain weight. Studies show that when you donโ€™t get enough sleep, it hinders your bodyโ€™s ability to metabolize food properly.

Do say โ€œNo.โ€ Donโ€™t be afraid to tell your hosts that you would prefer smaller (or no) helpings of certain foods. When youโ€™re urged to have seconds, politely say, โ€œThanks, it was delicious, but Iโ€™m full.โ€ Or ask for a portion to take home later.

Do say โ€œYes.โ€ During the holidays, do enjoy a small piece of pie or cake or a couple of holiday cookies. Enjoying just a few bites of a decadent dessert on occasion can be just as satisfying, if not more so, than eating the whole thing.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Excellent advice Nicky. I do the glass of water, stand far from the food table these days. It works.
    I also have a strict rule of only eating prepared meals sitting down. If I ‘need’ to eat ‘on the run’, I don’t need to eat! Cheers P

Aussie Oma
    rt
    Might of said that because . Im the kind of person that dreamed of getting in the ring with a young boxer and teach him that the passion can motivate more than talent ?

But to be true to JoJo’s thread theme. Though my door bell rings and it’s a bowl of warm hot cheese .
    I am the only one that that will put in my mouth . Today is not a cheesy pleasy day. So I’ll share the blessings with those that it helps.

My reading today. Is about the role of execise in the prevention of alzhimers..

In plan to survive and provide for my daughter. So my diet card need to be about omega6.

Sleepy after second 12 hour day on my feet. Good night and very humbled by you’re support!
    Thank you all.

Edit :
    PVE. Excellent insight! Healing TEAS Too! Yes?

Sleep well Samm x

Night night SAMM AOYP ( Angels On Your Pillow)

Wee xx

SAMM, sleep the sleep of the just and righteous.

Wee, you’re such a sweetie! AYOP too. Nxx

Have a few zzzzzzz’s for me SAMM ๐Ÿ˜†

Thank goodness it’s not a FD for me today … tomorrow is my day ๐Ÿ˜€ so had something I haven’t had for ages, enjoyed it, but couldn’t finish it so I guess all’s well. I’m not counting calories today (well not at the moment but might count them up later after dinner/tea).

Have a great time all ๐Ÿ˜€

Ok estimating that my day yesterday after all the walking and only had 1200 calories.
    I’ll go semi fast today Again at work because it’s supposed to be a light day. When I get home I’ll break the fast. With a thanksgiving meal feast.
    I will be on planned fasting break Till January 2nd.

But I will be going at strength training very diligently cross training five days a week. To build muscle. Might as well employ the break. It’ll be interesting to me to go to grocery store again , instead of order online delivery foods.
    Also plan to skip rope after my last meals before going to bed to hopefully lower fats in the blood before sleeping.
    Best wishes JoJo !

You are an inspiration with all your workouts Samm. I have done house painting and lawnmowing today. That’s enough for me.
    Have a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow mate. P

I really admire someone who can work out on fast days… I really drag myself home having been headachy all day and often go to bed early on fast days…but I cant sleep. I worry about not being able to concentrate at work. Tomorrow I am trying having an egg and spinach for breakie, a vegie and lentil soup for lunch (see unattached in London for great recipes) and then yoghurt for dinner (yes I know just three spoons full.. I am hoping the yoghurt might help with the CONSTIPATION) I AM getting used to being hungry though and can sort of ride it out. I am STARVING on Fridays.. when I go out for lunch with work mates (I do try to make sensible choices) but some Fridays lunch is delayed till 1pm and I get headachy again

Lucy if you read this thread you will notice lots of people on here who do incredible amt of exercise, ALL the time, esp SAMM and Jojo! A few, like me, do minimal!

Suggest trying extra water and adding some flaxseed meal to your food to help with constipation, or some prunes for fibre. Just don’t expect to go to loo as often though, as there is not as much food being digested when you fast. Experiment with different fruits as some will go straight thru! Good luck.

I agree with Nama – bowel habits definitely change on this WOL as there is simply less to process. I find my vegetable soups on FD’s keep things pretty regular.
    Nicky F great advice on Christmas.I know this sounds counter-intuitive but having something small to eat – yoghurt and banana, glass of milk, a slice of bread, a boiled egg, whatever you fancy – before going to a party is really helpful because you don’t arrive starving, have alcohol on an empty stomach and then lose your inhibitions at the buffet table.
    SAMM – you’ve motivated me to go for a long walk today (even if it is raining)which is a fast day. And I’ve got a pile of ironing to do when I get back! Thinking of you……..

Jinkins x

SAMM it will be interesting for you to shop for food in person….better take the most important muscle, the “willpower” muscle. I really needed mine today as I stupidly did a pre Xmas Costco shop on a fast day! I bought one of their scrummy BBQ chooks to feed the family and felt like ripping into it on the freeway coming home! And all those free tastings they offer! Never going there hungry again. But it was easier than it would have been a few months ago! I CAN have a piece of their yum banana bread tomorrow, if I choose…it’s buried deep in the freezer for now. And Happy Thanksgiving SAMM! Enjoy the feasting!

Hello Fast Trackers
    Thanks for the Telegraph article Smiffy. I am struck once again that research into this WOE is not yet conclusive.

I have been doing some evaluation of the WOE after about 4.5 months.
    My Fitbit tells me I have walked 500km since August, and about 30km of swimming and some hard garden work.
    I have lost about 15kg in this time.
    I did the arithmetic and found that I have lost about 750g per week:
    500g of loss is due to calorie restriction
    250g of loss is due to exercise.

I am a bit disappointed that the weight loss due to calorie restriction is lower than I would have anticipated since I am doing the ADF fairly consistently. Has anyone else analysed their weight loss due to exercise and calorie restriction?

My aim for December is to more strictly adhere to the fast day maximum of 400 calories.

Your idea Purple of using the TDEE of your target weight makes sense.

I realise that since I have no way of weighing food on FDs that I have probably become slack.

To all our US pals, happy Thanksgiving! Happy Weekend to all the Yorkies.

Good night from Windy Wellington!

Hi weemam, just tried your marigold bouillon. Really nice, perfect for a wet, miserable fast day!

Aww Silva I am so pleased you like it . I can drink that on its on where as IF I drink tea or coffee I feel they need something to eat with it . The bullion makes great stock for home made vegetable soup too ๐Ÿ™‚

Wee xx

Lucy kedi.
    Some headaches fasters have are from less water intake.
    I suggest testing. With many glasses of water on fast days.

I also take aspirin or Tylenol. Or both. Is why I started a routine of drinking teas on fast days as I like the teas better than water and some actually help with healing.

Welcome to Lucy and hello Silva, Wee, SAMM, Wiwi, PVE, Bay, Jojo, Hermaj, Smiffy, Simco, Nama, RT, Nicky, Jinkins and to everyone else.

Lucy as with what SAMM said, the days when I didn’t drink enough water/coffee/tea I ended up with headaches, now that I’m better hydrated and drink enough on fast and non-fast days I rarely get headachy and never from this WOL. Regarding fasting something that I’ve found best for me, on FDs in particular, is to not have any brekkie, I’ve never really found I like to eat brekkie anyhow, then Bovril or something light (eg a small yoghurt) for lunch with my tea/dinner being lots of non-starchy veggies with some protein, ie chicken/fish etc. If home I will sometimes have the egg/spinach or egg/bacon for brunch around midday and my main meal around 7 or 8 that night but then my main meal is more a light meal than other FD’s because I’ve had a larger lunch. When I first started, the first two weeks were the hardest, and on FD’s I worked my way down to 500 calories starting around 600. I used MyFitnessPal to record and/or work out calories consumed for the day (you can put your own recipes and say how many portions and it will calculate the calories per serve) it has a large number of products found in supermarkets or other stores/brands including those here in Australia. Once I’d managed to work out how to only have 500 calories per fast day I started working out how to have only 400 calories per fast day and now I have anywhere between 380 and 450 calories per fast day. It does take a little while to get there. I too worried re concentration but I’m finding that I have better concentration on FD’s and will often semi-fast between FD’s when I have a major function coming up on the weekends. I’m finding that I don’t get hungry now on FD’s and in between FD’s I can have whatever I want in moderation. Last week was week 10 for me and up until then I’ve lost 9.6kg (mind you I say week 10 but I started on a Tuesday then moved my weigh day to a Friday so only had three days between on one week) so overall I’m averaging around a touch under 1kg per week weight loss to date, this equates to roughly 2 lbs per week. Tomorrow I’ll see what if anything I’ve lost since (well I know I have as I stepped on the scales Tuesday and saw I’d lost a total of 10kg by that day but as that’s no longer my official weigh day I’ll wait until tomorrow to confirm this loss).

I must also say that I’m feeling so much healthier with this WOL. As you all know I was feeling rather poorly the other evening so ate 2 cloves of raw garlic with a little ham (so I could eat the garlic), yesterday I came home a little early from work, went to bed for an hour, woke up feeling a little better, went to bed around my usual time and woke refreshed this morning and although a little “stuffy” in the nose I’m feeling fine again.

FD for me today, so happy FD for those of us fasting and enjoy your day too those who aren’t.

Is it this weekend for York those going? If so, have a fantastic time ๐Ÿ˜†

Good evening fast trackers, great to see the thread so busy. Welcome newbies all. On my way back, on my mobile so I won’t write much. Had a great time and good journey. Looking forward to York now. Just had a stop, chose seafood spivey soup, yummy but loads of noodles not sure of calorie count. This coach trip has given me the opportunity to see the very poor eating habits of my fellow passengers and the greed at meal times. Some of these people could really benefit from 5:2 but this is not the time to promote it. Thank goodness I have contact with my cyber buddies who think about what they are eating and what health benefits their foods give them. Fasted today and feel better for it. Speak tomorrow friends.
    Jojo xx

Morning / evening fts
    So envious of your little trip to Ireland Jojo. I use the appalling eating habits of the general public as my inspiration on fast days to keep the faith ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Congratulations AO. Excellent work. Keep it up! !!!
    Interesting stats re your weight loss ratios Wiwi. I have a Fitbit, but couldn’t possibly work out how much is food restriction/ how much is exercise.
    Another lovely cooler day here, so a chance for some more exercise on this Thursday fast day.
    Happy fasting everyone. P ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi fast friends you know who you are what a glorious day in the SE of SA this morning AO stand up and take the applause 10 weeks in 10kg down in good faith Iโ€™m putting it out there that everyone on this thread expects to lose. We all expect it not hope or will it so but expect it. What a powerful motivator yes there will be a disappointing loss but a loss none the less. The scales on the bathroom floor for me are like having a police car following along behind me I canโ€™t help myself but to look in the rear view mirror even though I tell myself be strong you can do it (donโ€™t look) same goes for those scales and the love/hate emotional roller coaster of that number will have on the make-up of my day. So they now live in the bathroom towel cupboard to drag out on Saturday only and bam problem solved. ๐Ÿ’ก I run on the spot on the mini trampoline with 1kg hand weights x2 for 1 hour before and after work while watching news24 on the ABC and enjoy it. Ok black coffee. green tea.and water from the rain water tank ๐Ÿ˜‰ and 1 maybe 2 cups of Bovril (thanks Weemam) it must be FD and as Samm always says keep on keeping on..
    Rouge ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜†

Hi all,

RT do your scales have flashing lights and siren? Very funny mind picture of you being chased around your bathroom if weight not ok! You are so right, we all do expect to lose on this plan, because we choose to eat properly and fast. Some are more disciplined ( or have different metabolisms) and lose faster than others, but we all lose! And feel much better in lots of ways.

Wiwi I am with Purple, very impressed that you can separate weight lost via food vs by exercise. I am also losing at 750g a week so far (9kg/12weeks) and very happy with that as I do minimal planned exercise. Am very active most days just cannot bear working up a sweat! I think I am so much more conscious of what goes in my mouth, plus the fasting has def almost eliminated my sweet tooth. As a lifetime WW this has never happened before and is such a relief!

Lovely to hear you sent your cold packing AO, shows your immune system is very happy too!

Have a lovely day all x

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.