Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,851 through 15,900 (of 16,657 total)

• I’ve never been one for evening snacking and I rarely eat anything after dinner. My problem is that once I’ve started eating by having brunch it becomes one long meal until dinner is over. I’m better if I’m out but when at home it is much more difficult. I am determined to find a way to conquer it rather than avoiding the situation by going out every afternoon.

Work is still going on downstairs and it has been fairly quiet as painting has been in progress. Today there is someone else there and much banging,crashing and yelling is occurring. Three of the internal doors have been removed while they work and are up against the garden fence but it hasn’t stopped a door being slammed every few minutes…………….. I’m hoping they are nearly finished as the back garden resembles a junk yard and there is no possibility of sitting out there due to the noise.

I know the feeling Amazon I have had a new house built next door. It’s enormous economic and has been going on for two years since they demolished a perfectly beautiful bungalow. Last weekend was our first weekend when we could use the patio overlooking the sea in peace. Coincided with Wiwi,s visit so that was great.

I find evening snacking an issue, even when I go out it seems snacks are always on offer . Strangely I am better at refusing them when out than when at home. Just watched a Facebook video on what happens when you drink a full fat coke, terrifying, should be banned.

Keep strong and you will get to your goal. I need to get back to setting a weekly goal. I know it will get harder in winter.

Jojo, May I recommend an app called “Eat Right Now?” It uses mindfulness strategies to change one’s thinking about eating and food. It was created by a doctor with expertise in addiction. I have found it very helpful!

Good morning,
    Happy dance here! Finally the scale showed 129.9 after my first days Fasting in a row.
    I really had a very desappointing last week and I am testing my somehow will power this time. I am going to dance Zumba with some girls tonight and grab a salad afterwords and Saturday a friend who is a retired chef of ours will make ox tale. It might sounds gross but for both of us means a lot. He ate the left overs from a cow when the Russians were in Germany on WW2 and for us was something chip mother could afford.
    Bay if I knew then what I now now! I haven’t accumulated those pounds. Vacation is great if course but gaining weight is inevitable. Welcome back btw.
    Jo I will look into something natural to calm Sasha down from thunder.
    Ply this app sounds interesting! In my head I want to meditate but never could stop and do it.
    Well me better behave good and don’t blows way my good effort πŸ’‹

Thank Ply, good to hear from you too. I will look at the link later this evening and report back.
    At least like you I remain very active which has got to be good for us.

Life treating you well I hope, are you in the maintainance group these days?

HBC- as a child we ate this homemade oxtail soup regularly- delicious. But as a vegetarian/ pescatarian these days I don’t think I could face it. I tried some thinly sliced Italian ham at the weekend, just tasted of salt. Processed meat can stay of the shops shelf as far as I am concerned.

HCB,

eating oxtail is no more gross than eating steak, liver or kidney IMO. If we are going to eat animals we shouldn’t waste any of it. Nose to tail eating is very popular at the moment and some of the tastiest dishes are made with less popular cuts of meat. For example, ox and pig cheeks need long slow cooking but the flavour is incredible. The problem is that once they become popular the price increases, something that has happened here with lamb shanks, a cut that no-one wanted a few years ago.

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰
    Hi Bay and a big cyber hug welcome home 4ks over 6 weeks obviously you were not trying hard enough πŸ˜‰ I took a full week off and went nuts and smacked on 3kg in 7 days I went into a zen like state for 4 days and have melted it all off πŸ’‘
    This is Brilliant hasn’t happened to me but I can see the funny side yes morning πŸ˜†
    Lynx Tv ad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmue_d9NCXM
    Have A Happy Weekend All You beautiful Losers πŸ˜‰
    Peace RT

Evening/morning all,

Another FD nailed 😎

Off to bed now for a power nap and then up at midnight for some tennis watching and maybe some Olympic track & field πŸ™‚

It’s a feel good kind of a day πŸŽ–πŸ…

Amazon, as I sit by a log fire eating pizza with a Clare Valley riesling, I have been thinking about your breakfast dilemma.
    I find avoiding eating high gi foods earlier in the day avoids that all day nibbling habit on non fast days.
    Try having a poached egg and a couple of asparagus spears or tomatoes, or mushrooms with a shave of parmesam or plain full fat yoghurt with blue berries or strawberries and cinnamon (it causes insulin to do good things). There are so many variations that don’t include grain products. Wait as long as possible and enjoy a healthy low carb/ low gi brunch. That way lunch can be pushed back to nearly 3pm. A bowl of soup or a salad and you’ll make it, without nibbles, to dinner. I’m a great believer in eating most in the evening. Eat a lot early and it’s hard to stop. Eat at dinner time (you guys call it supper) and you sleep well.
    I hope you’re enjoying the Olympics. I’m relishing being on a road trip and avoiding them (almost ) completely ) πŸ˜€P

Good Morning All,
    Just sitting down with a cuppa watching the rain drizzle on the windows. My garden will be very happy, especially the grass. Visiting an RHS featured garden this afternoon, noted for its Wildlife area. Wish I had known these would become fashionable 20 years ago before I spent months of time, energy and money taming my garden after 20 years of growing wild. It was full of brambles and fox holes, not that delightful at all.
    Not feeling a fast today, negative vibes hitting me this morning. Some days it’s all too much effort. Planning a nice jacket potato with butter and grated cheese. Real comfort food. Maybe soup for dinner later.
    I was 1 lb down yesterday which should have cheered me up but it didn’t.
    Have a good day everyone.

Morning/evening all,

Hi Purple,

I only eat brunch and dinner but my issue is nibbling in between. Narrowing my eating window will help, but I agree that I need to cut out the grains. I’m going to have yoghurt with nuts/seeds/berries or an egg based dish as you’ve suggested, and try to wait until at least 2pm before eating anything.

It has drizzled a bit here but no proper rain so I guess I’ll be watering the garden again this weekend.

I’m going to have a very healthy omelette with salad and a glass of fermented grape juice for my dinner πŸ™‚

Have a good weekend everybody 😜

Omolette and salad. ..excellent choice Amazon!
    We’ve moved from coastal northern regions to the tablelands…well known for very low temperatures so I’ll be into wearing the heavy layers I have brought with me. Getting lots of material for painting 😊
    Enjoy your weather, wherever you are folk. It is not an excuse to overeat!!! P ☺

P,

I am enjoying the olympics…but then team GB is doing rather well at the moment πŸ˜€ However, I have to say that the standout moment for me so far was not in the field of sporting excellence, but rather an interview between Clare Balding and a Team GB boxe who won a bronze medal. When asked who had impressed him the most, he replied “not being funny, but I’m most impressed with myself” πŸ˜€

I’m loving the Olympics but it’s a bit tricky this week with a big tennis tournament going on in the USA. Last night I was flicking between channels to see Andy’s match and the track events πŸ˜†
    I am very impressed with the high number of GB athletes who have defended their Olympic titles and the fact that GB have won medals in a greater variety of sports than other nations.

It is also amazing how sports such as boxing and badminton become fascinating when there is a GB athlete involved πŸ˜‰

Hello,
    My husband is the one more into the Olympcs. At night I prefer watch a move. We are watching Marco Polo from Netflix right now. I only hear the scandals with the American swimmers all over the place.
    Did blood works this morning for my annual physical, walked myself and Sasha and will drive 1 hour to visit my girlfriend. We’ll hang out by her pool and later on walk on the beach.
    Be back late tonight! She doesn’t drink so no tentaptions today.
    I am glad everyone is doing well!
    Tomorrow will be a better day Jo πŸ™

Women’s Hockey against Netherlands was unreal tonight- another gold richly deserved. Must get to bed after the medals are awarded.

Ditto Jo! I’m not even a big fan of hockey (horrible memories from school!), but totally sucked in due to GB involvement.

Hope you’re feeling a bit brighter this evening?

Happy,
    Fine now thanks, just feeling sorry for myself. Lost my Ladies pairs match at bowls last night. It was a very frustrating game. Still in two other matches at my club to go, hopefully I can get through one to the finals. There are more serious things going on in the world I just needed to get some perspective today. Visiting an award winning garden this afternoon really helped then watching the Show Jumping and Hockey lifted my spirits. But tense though.
    Managed to keep my eating in control today which pleases me and planning to fast again on Monday.

I just realized what I don’t miss about the Olympics.. .We can only get it on commercial tv, fuΔΊl of ads and moronic commentary. We only watch ad free tv normally and every 4 years, watching the Olympic coverage, we are horrified by the ads. Bliss..I’ve just been reading the highlights online this time.😊
    Give me a good bushwalk or participating in sport, myself, any time.
    Hope you regain your MoJo, Jo 😐 Look for some other low gi “comfort” food that you can grab quickly.
    I have a list on the fridge. πŸ˜‰ P

Morning all from a freezing morning at Jamieson. We are having breakfast by the fire, having run away for 4 days for a mini break! Injured son’s fiance home from work for the weekend so she can wait on him, plus new grandchild not due for a few weeks, so we grabbed the opportunity! It is actually our very first grandchild Jo, so I am filled with a mixture of excitement and anxiety. Having worked with very ill neonates for many years does tend to skew your view of reality!

Its bitterly cold here still, poured raining all day yesterday but the clouds have cleared today so good walking weather! The rivers are running very high, amazing to see the way they swell in winter. The daffodils have all opened since I was last here and they look wonderful. Every Summer when I clean up the dead daffy leaves I wonder if they are worth all the work, but then come the following Winter I forget all that and enjoy them so much! I guess that is what gardening reminds us – we need to ‘put in’ to enjoy the benefits.

Purple I am with you re the Olympics. With over 100 million dollars spent on preparation by Australia in the four years leading up to them, just for our little population, not including the costs of actually participating, I find it hard to justify. It probably sounds like sour grapes, but a lot of the athletes behave like spoiled brats to me. Maybe also if it was all simplified somehow and held in the same venue every year (Greece even?), the corruption and cheating could be minimized. I am not even suggesting we spend that $100 million on hospitals (to make the medico’s richer), maybe on education?

I had planned to fast yesterday (Fri) but that came unstuck when husband suggested a stop for morning coffee en route at a lovely Chocolaterie in the Yarra Valley! Yes I avoided the cakes etc, but the free tasting chocolate near the exit just jumped into my mouth! I hope to walk it off today, then will start fresh Monday!

Thinking of you Happy last night, watching a TV interview of the amazing James Rebanks who wrote about his life as a Shepherd in the Lakes District. (He is in Sydney at present for book awards). I will definitely get his book, it looks fascinating.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Hi Nama,
    Good to hear from you, I was concerned. First grandchild is even more exciting try not to worry. I had a friend who was a nurse in a Special Baby Unit and she also finds it causes her extra worry when her children are pregnant. She has 11 very healthy grandchildren now and her four girls haven’t stopped producing yet.

One of the teachers I employed was a shepherdess for 2 years living mostly in a remote caravan in Northern Italy. She considered it a very special time in her life. She did it to escape very strict Italian parents who had forced her into a career as an accountant. Guess she preferred counting sheep.

I am awake in the middle of the night with a stomach upset. Guess the stress of watching the girls hockey was too much for me. Acute indigestion and nausea. Wondering if my yogurt was OK, it was only one day over.

Oh well I have a good book to read, given up trying to sleep.

I am in favour of Olympic Funding and moving its location. It worked miracles in London and gave the country a real boost. I think it really encourages people to get more active. Our tennis courts attached to our bowls green has seen a huge increase in bookings. I have noticed a lot more joggers in my park too. But I am biased, loved sport at school, all types and have always been involved in a sport even through my very fat years. Lots of fit fat swimmers and badminton players are better than idle fat/thin people, stronger bones.

Our education system is very poor at promoting exercise compared to when we were at school. Less than half the allocated curriculum time we enjoyed. Some inner city schools don’t even have sports facilities.

Hi everyone,

I was up until 4.30am watching Olympics and tennis so only surfaced long enough ago to shower, dress and make tea. Quite a good idea to sleep the morning of a FD away πŸ˜‰

I didn’t watch the hockey but saw the GB women win a bronze medal in the 4 x 100m relay, the first medal for 30 years. It is great because the team ages are 19, 20, 20 and 23 and haven’t been together very long. They have a huge opportunity to work together and improve.
    I watched Lutalo Muhammed in the Taekwondo and it was heartbreaking, he was 2 points ahead and his opponent landed a 3 point kick in the very last second of the match. He had been so good throughout the day and evening, winning all his matches with some fantastic skill, enthusiasm and determination.

Jo, yoghurt is curdled milk ie it is already “off” and sell by/use by dates are there to prevent litigation and encourage people to throw perfectly good food away and spend more money. Did you have your jacket potato with butter and cheese? If you did it might have been the amount of fat in the cheese and the butter.

Fit, fat swimmers etc might have strong bones and muscles etc but that doesn’t negate the effects of obesity on their vital organs etc and many of them choose to ignore that.

The government are still peddling the idea that exercise will help the obesity epidemic rather than concentrating on healthy eating. The majority of fat children who are unfit do not like to exercise as it is such a struggle for them and they feel embarassed. They also often come from homes where parents do not participate in any form of exercise.
    When I was at school I hated PE as teachers only encouraged those who were good at sport which was very poor teaching as they were not the ones who needed support.

I read a shocking fact yesterday, 1 in 3 primary school children in the UK are overweight/obese, and the majority of parents are unable to recognise that their own children are overweight wrongly thinking that if they can see a childs ribs they are too thin.

The good news is that they are trying to encourage families to exercise together and stop making short car journeys, walking to school etc.

It’s breezy this morning with intermittent sunshine and the overnight rain has given the garden a good drink πŸ™‚

Have a good one everybody 😜

Amazon, No cheese on the potato and not much butter. Stomach ok today so who knows. Had tinned peaches with the yogurt because Zi had run out if fresh fruit. Food shopping tonight.

The point I was maki g is that is is better for your body to get exercise, fat or thin. Look and feel better. Even if it’s only a walk everyday. Obesity is even a factor at Preschool level. I spent a lot of time and energy getting parents to stop putting processed food in lunch boxes. Some parents thought jam sandwiches were acceptable for lunch. Rarely saw fruit or veg in them so we provided both. All our children were encouraged in sport and they loved it. Just made it fun.

Hi Jo,
    glad you are feeling better πŸ™‚

I understood your point and I agree that it is always better to exercise than not. Unfortunately there are too many people who don’t understand the difference between fitness and health.
    There are also many parents who don’t have a healthy diet and wouldn’t know where to start, so their children are disadvantaged in that respect.

My brother was an excellent all rounder as far as sports were concerned, football and swimming team and later on rowing team with a shelf full of trophies and medals. My Dad was rather old fashioned in his approach to parenting and as a girl I didn’t receive encouragement in sport, although my parents ensure that we were both taught to swim at a young age and I’ve always enjoyed it. I was in the hockey team for a while but got fed up with permanently bruised, painful ankles so gave it up.
    In later life it was my brother who encouraged me to exercise and he was very supportive and gave me some great advice when I joined the gym last January.

Hi All,
    Just enjoyed a delicious sea trout salad. I tried RT’s fast break omelette which included spring onion, mushroom and red peppers for lunch today, it was yummy.

Had a discussion at my bowls match today about children eating fast food. He was bragging about how many burgers the scouts ate and how much ketchup they got through at camp. I suggested that there are healthier foods available and that it might be a good idea to promote healthier choices. He explained that the burgers were minimum fat and that children had access to fruit too. I asked about vegetables added to their meal. He said they only get baked beans, processed cheese slices and chips with fried onions. I just could not get him to understand that these food are not a balanced diet. Is it any wonder children have obesity issues.

Hello,
    What a slow day here! I am taking time to myself and reset my thoughts and future challenges.
    I had a beautiful day yesterday with Girlfriend Jackie. She is from Brazil and although we don’t see each other much our friendship is really genuine. We laugh, cried, ate a lot and had a long walk along the beach. I got home almost 11pm.
    Well! She is also struggling with her extra pounds and like every one else o talk to i walk on egg shells when it comes to recommend reading 5:2 and The obesity code. Everybody knows what’s right and exercising holds the answer for weight loss. Well, well, well… We know now better then that.
    Jo here in the US they say when they eat pizza the healthy part is the vegetable,the tomato sauce on top of it and also this goes for ketchup. I don’t feel like lecturing anymore.
    Wishing you a beautiful blessed weekend.
    Now I’ll make myself pretty and go eat delicious oxtail at our friends house.
    πŸ’‹

Woke up to minus 3 and pretty frost covering the lawns in the National Trust listed house we are staying in. Up to restart the fire.
    Yesterday, Nama, we were further up the same mountain range as you! Only light rain, but bitter winds. We warmed ourselves eating a,carb based, lunch in the historic railway station that straddles the NSW/ Qld border. When trains ran, all passengers had to alight and change trains into the other state as the rail gauges were different! Consiquently, this isolated town had a huge dining area on the platform to feed the hungry travellers.
    A warm coffee, no breakfast, and back on the road. P

Jo,

I’m a fan of the Olympics, and physical activity personally, but I question your statements about the legacy of the 2012 London Olympics. As far as I am aware, there has been no step-change benefit to the nation’s health and in fact adults are apparently now exercising less than before 2012.

Our Olympics success is funded by the national lottery, with sports most likely to win medals targeted ruthlessly. If we don’t win the medals predicted then the funding is cut. Effort is therefore focused not on all sport, but only those where excellence is predicted and achieved.

It’s always said that success comes at a price. In this case I gather that a gold medal costs us several million pounds. Is that money well spent for two weeks of national pride with no lasting benefit?

I can’t comment on the lasting benefit or otherwise of the redevelopment of London for the purposes of the Olympics, except to say that if there is any benefit it’s probably to the exclusion of the rest of the country (and those of us who consider ourselves blessed not to live in London πŸ˜€)

I’ve always loved the Olympics, and Sydney 2000 is particularly special to me. It kept me company when my back went into spasm and I spent two weeks on the lounge floor (couldn’t get upstairs). In those days TV was not 24 hour, so early hours coverage of the Olympics was a godsend! But there’s no getting away from the fact that the pinnacle of any human achievement will inevitably bring out the best… and worst in humans. …

Amazon,

I am a late starter to the joys of exercise too, the traditional roles of men (active) and women (supporting the activity of men) still being the norm while I was a child ☹️ And my lovely Dad, to whom I will always be a delicate flower (even when clinically overweight!), continues to worry that I might over exert myself and break πŸ˜€

Sydney 2000 was a wonderful party, but our state schools have been paying for it ever since in lack of funding. ‘There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch’ or Olympics. P

Hi P,

I forgot to say Olympic coverage is on the good old BBC (at least for the moment, until the Tories shaft that too!), so no adverts!

And funnily enough, even though there’s bigger money in commercial TV, BBC coverage is always far superior (in my, ha ha not very, humble opinion πŸ˜€)

Lucky you! The ABC funding cuts here would never allow enough money to win the bid to broadcast the Olympics😣

Hi All,
    I guess I see things differently here. Our local authority and our Retirement Clubs have all increased their role in providing Sporting Choices for every age group ‘free’ in many cases. We have pilot schemes to introduce people to walking, running, bowls, tennis, croquet, football, nordic walking, cycling, dancing, Kurling, keep fit, walking football too. These were not available in 2012. Not sure where the funding originates. Like America we are promoting ‘Girls on the Run too’. Our schools have not increased curriculum time but have offered more after school clubs with physical activities. Private gyms are increasing in number too, we have five now compared to one gym, 10 years ago. Only one is Council run but there are ‘health referrals’ to this offering free membership or reduced cost. I remember a trip to Holland many years ago and being very impressed by them opening all schools at the weekends for use by local families to do sport, huge range of choices both team and individual plus funding towards school from users. Now there is a good use of lottery funding to set this up. Of course you would need to lock up all expensive equipment and classrooms and supervise areas.

Honestly I understand the whole Commercial TV watching thing, I really did not enjoy watching these channels in NZ and Australia. Some of the adverts seemed to go on for 5-10 minutes each. I am sure it wasn’t really that, just seemed it to me. Happy – you are so right! I love our BBC Channel and love Sports coverage of the Olympics. Guess we have to agree to differ. Perhaps the next Olympics in the UK will be in the Midlands or Northern location, makes sense. Lottery funding for these projects sound like a good option.

Morning All,
    I only watch non commercial TV, I really disliked TV in NZ and Aus, the adverts went on forever and films and programmes were interrupted so frequently. Thank goodness for BBC.

Happy-In this area there is a significant rise in use of Sports Facilities. We have 5 gyms now instead of 1 since last Olympics. We have cheap and ‘free’ medical referral memberships to Council owned gym too. There are ‘free’ courses run for a variety of different exercise E.g. Walks, running, nordic walking, swimming, bowls, croquet, cycling, dancing, tennis and walking football. Some of these are funded and others run by volunteers. I have attended a few of these programmes and every place has been taken up. They are run in the daytime and evening and weekend allowing for everyone to get a chance to attend. It great.

I visited Holland once and was told by the family I stayed with that all schools were open at the weekends for family use of Sports facilities. Minimal charges were made to cover caretaker cost. Great idea. Of course security and vandalism might be an issue here.

I do agree that there is still more encouragement for boys to participate in Sport than girls. It’s great that Ply is involved in ‘Girls on the run scheme’. I gre up with two brothers and mainly boy neighbours so enjoyed my tomboy access to sport. Local church and cub/ brownie groups also had a physical games part to their session. School also had more time in the curriculum for sport. I always try to encourage non active friends to do something to get their circulation going, even if it’s only walking a dog or swimming a few lengths at the pool.

Had a good non fast day yesterday but today is Presidents Day at Bowls. I am taking my own salad and fruit because the variety of food is likely to be meat or sugar based. I will have one G&T though.
    Good Luck to everyone on their fast day tomorrow.

Ps
    Forgot to say – down 2 lbs today – happy, happy – that’s 3 lbs this week. Roll on fasting Monday success at last.

Well done Jo. Keep it up!! 😊
    Our ABC has no ads and has a wonderful range of excellent programs. So does SBS (our public multicultual station ) with only a few ads. It is the commercial stations I would never watch.
    We actually find free to air in the UK seems to be hours of really old reruns ..shows we hadn’t seen in years eg Heartbeat!! πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
    We are staying a couple of nights in a fabulous cottage in wool country, so I have local lamb shanks with chilli, capsicum, mushroom, snow peas and baby carrots bubbling in pasata on the stove. Very warming up here in the winter highlands. ☺

Morning/evening all,

Sunday again, another week begins πŸ™‚

FD went well yesterday and I’m aiming for a 19/5 today. I haven’t eaten any meat for a couple of weeks so I’ll be looking for something interesting at the local farmers market this morning.

I make use of commercial breaks for going to the bathroom/getting a drink/putting dinner in the oven etc.

GB have become the first nation to improve their Olympic medal haul following a home games 😎
    Mo Farah was magnificent last night. His opponents ganged up against him and tried to run his legs off in a fast race but they were wasting their time.

Andy Murray is in another final only a week after taking Olympic gold. I was switching channels back and forth last night when Farah was running as Andy was serving for the match in his SF πŸ˜†

The clouds are being blown away and the sun is shining. Time to get moving.

Have a good one everybody 😜

When too much sport is never enough, Amazon? πŸ™„

Jo,

Congratulations on the weight loss. Have you changed your approach, or just more disciplined recently?

It’s great that you’re seeing increased opportunities for sport in your area, but that isn’t necessarily the same across the country, and while it’s interesting anecdotally you have no evidence that it is a direct result of London 2012 or that it is resulting in any improved health outcomes… Indeed, Sport England data shows that more people are now taking part in sport/ exercising since 2005, but numbers have actually fallen since 2012…

Hi PVE
    Guess I missed those channels. Would they have been available in motel rooms? I didn’t get much time for TV on my trip until I got sick with my gall bladder. After a couple of hours I switched to Netflix for two weeks caught up on a couple of series I had missed that had good reviews.

Your meals always sound so delicious. I really should make more effort with cooking. I bought some Halloumi yesterday. Surprisingly I like it yet it has a salty flavour which I usually avoid. Needs to be cooked just right though otherwise it becomes tough.

Our weather has been much better than predicted this weekend, very little rain, lots of sunshine with some fairly stiff breezes.

66 medals, great work Britain.

ABC and SBS are available everywhere there is tv reception in this wide brown land. You’ll often hear we Aussie Fasttrackers discussing programs we have seen. Brings all our isolated communities together. 😊
    We travel with a billy, water, a gas burner, an esky and freezy bricks and a good range of makings for meals. We usually stay in self contained accommodation. ..same price as motels, but all the room and pleasures of home.
    Delightful cottage for the next few nights, with full facilities. It makes it much easier to eat well. πŸ˜‘

Happy, changes are working on my mindset in particular, self hypnosis. Also swimming more.

Agree with your points, I can only speak for my local area. I am involved in as a volunteer walk organiser. This group has been running 5 years and surveys its members. Many newly introduced members go on to join Ramblers for weekly walks, Some stay with start up groups. The rest either attend when they want or weather suitable or drop out. I will ask for statistics. We are running walks 7 days per week with average attendance 40 people. I understand this is a National Scheme funded by the NHS. Health Improvement Services.

Meanwhile I am off for my hour walk now

Jo,

I don’t doubt that you are seeing a real increase in your area. There are regional trends in the data.

The point I’m making is that the data shows there is no London 2012 legacy effect in terms of sports participation at a national level…

I think one of the issues to less involvement in sport are Longer Working hours and less job security which often leads people to accept extra work.

Of course British weather doesn’t help. Even getting to indoor sports is miserable if you need to leave a nice warm house to get there.

I don’t put too much store in statistics, many sensible people refuse to fill in surveys.

But Jo, the main issue is weight and we all know that requires eating much less, less often.
    Time is irrelevant to exercise…park quickly further away, instead of driving around and around looking for a space. Walk to the station instead of waiting for a bus. Carry bags instead of pushing a trolley when shopping. Always walk upstairs and escalators… always quicker than waiting for a lift anyway. Stand and move your feet instead of sitting when waiting. Run on the spot every 15 minutes (or during ad breaks) when watching tv. None of this takes time.
    Lose weight, eat less and people will start moving more, naturally.
    Jason Fung quotes studies in Canada that show that upping sport in school time did not increase kids overall time spent being active. The study group just flopped at home, while the non study group ran around after school. Teach kids sporting skills to empower them, but not so that they grow up hating exercise.
    To me, the key is reducing eating first. P

Well Jo, have it your own way! If you believe, based on your own observations in your local area, that the London 2012 games have influenced participation in sport and exercise, then who am I to doubt that you have indeed spotted something that the national sporting body (based on extensive research and survey over a number of years) have missed πŸ™‚

Afternoon all,

I’ve just broken my fast with some corn on the cob bought at the market. Not as good as fresh off the plant but very nice and satisfied the yearning for something sweet that I often have after fasting.

I bought steak for dinner and I’ll make a warm vegetable salad from what is in the fridge. I decided I would like some vino so have elected to forego potatoes 🍷

I also bought greengages which were 10 for Β£1. While I was talking to the stallholder about my love for them a man who was waiting to be served asked what “those green things” were so I told him and said that I thought they were delicious. He tried one then bought some. A convert πŸ™‚

There is always time for exercise if the will to do it is there and it doesn’t have to cost anything. I didn’t bother when I was younger because I wasn’t interested but I started doing aerobics when Jane Fonda was urging everyone to “feel the burn” and have exercised on and off ever since. The reason I continued once started was that I realised I enjoyed it.
    I had a bike when I was 4, a huge orange 3 wheeler which I would ride around our large garden with my little brother standing on the back, but when I was older my Dad wouldn’t allow me to have a bike despite my brother racing around the streets on his, so I didn’t own another until I was 30. I paid pennies for a second hand lilac “ladies” bike with a basket on the front and started cycling to work. I bought it because I was trying to save money and the pleasure I got from cycling was an unexpected bonus. I used to go to the supermarket on my way home from work and do a big shop, then hang the bags that din’t fit in the basket on the handlebars and cycle home unless the bags were too heavy for me to keep my balance when cornering πŸ˜‰

Despite the good weather I’ve not done much walking lately so I’m going to make an effort next week to do at least two big walks. We are going to Bushey Park on Tuesday which is next door to Hampton Court.

Amazon,

I’ve not eaten greengages for years. To be honest I think I’d forgotten about them!

We’re currently eating tomatoes, cucumber, peas, beans, mangetout, courgette, potatoes and various greens. It’s been a funny growing year, with a couple of hot spells really not doing anything much good!

Just back from a run, pretty windy still, but dry after torrential rain yesterday. I haven’t shaken off my cough yet so I’m not sure running’s the wisest idea, but i can’t bear more than a few days without physical exertion these days. Kill or cure?!

Lucky you to be eating home grown produce.

I’m always on the lookout for things that aren’t widely available or have a short season eg greengages, apricots, Worcester Pearmain apples, chard, peas. Farmers markets are often the best places to look.

Running might make you cough more but it should help clear your chest.
    I’m chafing at the bit to get to the gym tomorrow after 5 days of not doing very much, so I know exactly what you mean πŸ™‚

Amazon,

I planted a Worcester Pearmain when we restocked our small orchard a few years ago. It’s fruiting this year for the first time πŸ˜€

I’m not sure why chard should have such a short season commercially. I grow it in the polytunnel where it happily produces greens for me and the hens all winter.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,851 through 15,900 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.