Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 16,657 total)

• Hi SAMM,
    Wild Salmon fishing is restricted to fishing, you can only get it in June and July here so check out your local restrictions. Fresh salmon is often farmed and therefore at risk of water cleansing chemicals. Try fresh sea trout, hardly any difference in taste, not farmed. Sea bass and skate wing are great too. I still love prawns and am prepared to risk the cholesterol and calories to eat with lots of veg. Eating fibre high diet helps keep cholesterol down unless it’s induced by stress. I am just devouring my porrige, blueberries and prunes before catching the train to London. Sun shining and all is well with the world.
    Weeman, ignore your Grand daughter, if we don’t look after our bodies, our bodies will take revenge. Also we all need the thrill of looking good in the mirror and getting compliments helps us on our journey. I have just taken to wearing hot pink, it makes me feel great, don’t know why I haven’t worn it before. Go girl! You are my inspiration at the moment so keep up the good work.
    Another grim night so I will be back to two pain killers tonight. Scales say the same as last Monday( which is only 1/2 up on my lowest) so at least I haven’t gained even though I overdid the calories yesterday, thai meal out last night, what was I thinking?
    Basically it’s ‘must try harder’ my fast days this week have been more like 900 cals not 500, snacking at every opportunity. Why do we go into self destruct like this? I wish there was a ‘willpower’ pill.
    Hermajtomomi, I love Caribbean food and will certainly try some at the Carnival.

To everyone,
    Enjoy you weekend. I will report in on Sunday night – can’t wait to go to Jamie Oliver’s restaurant tonight. Booked for 8 pm.

Hi jo-jo,

The fact that the scales reveal that you haven’t put any weight back on despite a few delicious deviations – thinks, ’bout time we went for a Thai – shows that 5:2 is quite forgiving and there’s no need to beat yourself up if you are naughty once in a while.

Enjoy your evening at Jamie’s and of course the Carnival. Do let us know what you ate. I’m seriously exploring Caribbean food so I can add a few dishes to my “international” repertoire.

Such wonderful news, Weemam! I’m sure you are looking just as good as you are feeling! Have a wonderful vacation!

Have a wonderful time in the big city, Jojo! I am so envious of your restaurant outing!

Hello, fast trackers! I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Unseasonably cool weather here; feels more like October than August. Nice for a run this morning, though.
    Eating lots of veggies for dinner in the form of grilled shrimp and veggie spring rolls, which are gorgeous as well as delicious, and a spicy Thai beef salad.
    Anyone fasting over the weekend? I often do a fast day on Sunday, which I try to make a quiet day. Sometimes that turns into a back to back fast on Monday. School is starting soon, and I am going to try to enlist a few colleagues to start a lunch club, where four of us will prepare a healthy lunch for four once a week to share. It will work out that each will only prepare one lunch, and will be fed the other three days. My plan is that we will set some guidelines for calories, low carb, etc. I hope that I can get some like-minded colleagues to join. I think the variety will be nice, as well as only prepping once a week. (plus the fifth day when we will be on our own)
    Have a super a Sunday, all!

Good evening all,
    Yes it’s 2.46 am and I am awake having taken pain killers again, my hip is a misery so I am returning home early tomorrow so as not to spoil my son’s visit to the Carnival. We walked across London several ways today, really enjoying breakfast and shopping in Covent Garden, the digital exhibit at the Barbican, and returning to Shepherds Bush before walking to the restaurant, eating then home again- good few steps( took the pedometer off after 16,689 so who knows?
    Result agony even after pain killers at 6 pm. The meal at Jamies was perfect, meat platter followed by pork belly, not exactly low cal I am afraid. The Potuguese waiter was both charming and handsome – also about 25 sadly.
    Almost perfect day ! I hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend, full of leisure and new experiences.

My son’s girlfriend driving me a good part of the way home tomorrow so I can rest my hip, what a shame to cut short my weekend. Me thinks the walking may have to stop for a while.

Speak tomorrow

Good morning fast trackers,
    Finally got some sleep and therefore feel good this morning, no scales here, thank god. So I am laying in a very comfortable bed with a good book, this is the life. I can hear traffic, planes and the occasional crow in the distance which I am not used too coming from a sleepy town. I guess it’s Heathrow, only 30 mins away, not disturbing me though just a bit different to my usual seagulls and blackbird morning chorus.

I have decided to fast today(Sunday) Ply, I think I need to after yesterday, fun but very calorific. Also I am seriously going to have to take on this hip problem, it’s swimming daily for me until I can get this inflammation and pain under control. I shall really miss the walking because I love it but I can’t deal with painful nights anymore. Also I really hate taking so many pain killers (6 yesterday)the effects are very worrying. I will get some patches today and try them.

Shame I will miss the Carnival but happy to be resting.

I must visit London more often, both restaurants visited were a cut above anything available to me on the coast, excellent food and service, a very pleasurable experience. Glad I don’t drink though £9.00 for a large glass of wine? Ouch!

Glad to hear you are resting more comfortably, Jojo. Sounds like you made the most of every minute in London. I love trying new restaurants, but it is very expensive! We usually go with my sons, and now that they both like a drink or two with dinner, the bill adds up very quickly.
    Keep resting, and have a safe trip home. Make an appointment about that hip.

Hi Jojo
    Doesn’t sound like your hip pain got in the way of a good time! I have been to Jamie’s in Oxford and the food was delicious and the waiters good looking. I am pescatarian and there was lots of scrummy food I could eat. Have you had your hip diagnosed?

Hi jojo,

Sorry your weekend had to be cut short because of hip pain. But as Cheeseplease say, it didn’t stop you having a good time. As my mum would have said “you did get around in your tea half-hour”. Another odd little Cockney saying.

Like you, I’m a non-drinker. Ever since giving up the ciggies – I’m now in my 13th year without them – all forms of alcohol taste weird and nasty, although I still use wine and sometimes cognac as cooking ingredients. Just as well, when you see the extortionate price you have to pay for a tipple in restaurants.

Do give patches a try, they might just work. The heat they radiate can be very comforting.

aww so sorry you are in pain Jojo . Especially when you are away from home.I hope it eases with the patches My RA is a bit worse today and I hope it eases off before I have to drive to the lakes a week today . Our hall light just decided to leave the ceiling last night .Must be haunted lol . Our eldest son is coming shortly to fix it for us .
    I have started to put things on the bed that we are going to take with us . This time I am going to be sensible and not take too much :).
    It is a lovely day here today and I have all the bedclothes washed and out on the line . I just love getting into a nice clean fresh bed . I change it as often as I can . Off now to make myself a sugar free jelly .
    I had so much fun yesterday looking through a lot of my clothes that were too small . I was buzzing with excitement when one after another they just slipped on . I have lost much more inches than weight I think it’s 17 pounds now ( weigh in again tomorrow ) . I just FEEL so good .
    have a great day everyone .Jojo try and take it easy.

Wee xx

Hi All,
    Thanks for all your support. I had a rather complex 4 hour journey home involving two lifts in cars and two trains and a lost train ticket. Home safe now thank goodness and my dogs are very pleased to see me.
    I already want to revisit London – I hear there is an amazing exhibit of poppies at the tower moat plus I really want to have a meal at the shard. I may see if I can book a cheap mid week hotel break as my daughter will be home to look after the dogs, if I disappear before term starts. I am tied up in voluntary work from the 8th for two weeks.
    Weemam, yes pack minimally for your minimal body, we girlies always take too much on holiday. Weirdly I always take a few old clothes I can leave behind making room for purchases. Everything else I pack is planned to be used a minimum of three times. I am obviously a bit OCD as I have a checklist in my case permanently. You can print these off from the Internet but they are usually a bit ‘Belt and braces’ in approach.

Phoning the Doctor tomorrow and insisting on being seen this week – hip problem diagnosed as bursitus, not much other evidence on ex ray and scan last year. But I had a foot problem wrongly diagnosed for two years so I don’t have too much faith to be honest. Ended up with surgical option which fortunately resolved problems and now fully functional. There could have been a link between the two of course, over compensation of my not inconsiderable weight, opposite side.

Anyway that’s enough moaning – I am now going to be less mobile until my holiday so I need to really focus on my calorie intake. I plan to really cut back, to try to lose one stone this month, this will make up for my shocking lack of effort throughout July and August and set me up for my yoga holiday at the end of September, I will do ADF Monday to Saturday and 1400 cals on Sunday – Wish me luck!

My exercise will be yoga, kettlebell and swimming only – no more walking and Badminton or dance class. Even the dogs will have to be satisfied with a visit to the park only. I am not even going to play bowls – life is going to be very dull but hopefully healing. Might do some sewing and study Spanish. I should organise selling some stuff on Ebay – that would be productive, lots to go now.

Be kind to your bodies all
    Jojo xx

Hi Jojo,
    Well that sounded like a journey and a half.

I had trochanteric bursitis about three years ago, and you have my sympathy – b****y painful and debilitating. I had a steroid injection which helped a bit for a while, but basically it just took a long time to heal. Patience was never my strong suit! I now have rotator cuff tears x 2 in my shoulder which is similarly taking ages (years) to heal. Grrrr, I hate it when my body lets me down. I had to give up running because of the hip and now have trouble exercising because of the shoulder. Hope your doc comes up with a solution.

The bursitis has now resolved thankfully so there is light at the end of the tunnel. :-). I don’t risk running though!

Xx

http://www.webmd.com/diet/your-omega-3-family-shopping-list

If not able to exercise. Please observe intake of omega3 . Especially DHA.
    The link is a short list of foods to get it from.

Basically the way I understand it, so forgive my simple lay mans explanation.
    Exercise help the hippocampus in the brain. Which protects us from alzhiemers . Not cures but rather avoids it in the first place.
    So what to do when we can’t exercise? Eat foods that that protects the hippocampus in Thea similar way but from foods. Foods that contain DHA

For much much better understanding look up dr david perlmutter on any search. And you’ll find a detailed and in depth programs and lectures.

I keep getting from his message that we should eat DHA. and should not eat gluten. While only 20% of the entire human population is sensitive to gluten in digestive tract, almost all of us are sensitive to gluten in the hippocampus to some degree. That’s a major announcement! MAJOR!

Since alzhiemers and dementia are 50/50 odds after age 85. He points too DHA and gluten free diet as opposed to . Sedentary with no DHA , and gluten unrestricted. It’s an inflammation issue.

So JoJo consider looking into the sit and be fit programs on you tube. While your healing?

Bittersweet!

I have an older brother that has for last 2 decades taken on my obesity with insulting and confrontation.
    My mother out of the blue at the family buffet day we have once a month.  Said BROTHER why don’t you give him those clothes I gave you for Christmas ?
    His reply was he was going to go on a diet.
    She replied , by then I can buy new clothes for next Christmas. The look on his face is one I know only too well!  At first I was HA! Karma!  Then it was a quick change of subject on how to look for cancer fighting foods at the buffet.  

My other brother and I have had a similiar but healthier approach.  He’s a Marlborough  man . He smoked enough to get some corduroy shirts that we both like very much. Size large and the other 1x .

Weve had to exchange the shirts. Even came to blows once that’s just how we are. Lol .  I was wearing the old tattered corduroy size large at the buffet today.  No chance of him wearing anytime soon either. When they ask what I’m doing I simply say 5:2 or two big cans of soup. 2-3 times a week.
    I can tell their curious when I come back after my veggie and fruit plates with a steak and lobster. 

It’s hard to believe I can still lose weight eating steak and lobster buffet twice a month.  However seeing me in that bright red corduroy marlboro shirt is proof no matter what the scale says. I like 4:3 with a buffet feed day.   No way I’m stopping now!
    After today’s buffet.
    Monday the 25th I start a fat attack ADF for 12 days. Next weekend is Friday and Saturday are B2B fasts.
    My new scale says 224lbs
    Hoping to see 214 by mid September as this is my birth month, and my realistic goal is to be 175lbs by age 50 in 3 years.

I am SO chuffed about starting jujitsu classes when reach 200lbs. HA! My big brother won’t be able to wrestle that shirt away from me then!

Thanks SAMM and cheese please,
    I promise I will include Omega 3 and do chair exercise if it doesn’t effect my hip.
    Great to have caring friends
    Hugs to everyone

I will get this sorted out for sure.

Positive energy being channelled right now, plus ralgex spray – teehee

Morning Fast trackers,
    Great nights sleep and lovely lay in( again) with a good book. Life is good. Off to London again today but only to pick my daughter up from the airport. She has had an amazing holiday in New Zealand. She will have been travelling two full days so is likely to be pretty shattered, taking a pillow and blanket in the car for her to sleep the return journey home in the car.

Not fasting today as on the road, but I will be on it again tomorrow but I am calorie counting I will keep it low. No lattes or sandwiches at the airport, tea and salad for lunch.

I have worked out an exercise schedule to get full benefits without stress to my hip joint so plan on putting this in action today starting with my kettlebell used in a chair. I don’t think I am going to enjoy this walking restriction but need to think long term.
    Diet worked out, not a massive change from current plan, just more fast days to counteract my inactivitity. I will do an hours swim tonight when the pool is quiet, bank holidays get a bit busy at the gym especially on rainy days.

Have a good week everyone, be kind to your bodies and fight your foodism. Never mind AA we need FA (Feeders Anonymous). I wonder if it would work? Phone a friend when you are just about to buy or eat something which breaks your fast?

Morning all.
    Today is the first of three fasts this week. It is week three of my second fast diet. I lost three stones last year, and have put a stone back on since last December. I am hoping for a two stone loss by the end of November when I go on holiday. I was planning a long walk this morning but forgot about British Bank Holiday weather, so I’ll just have to stick to the workout and put some extra energy into it. I’m going for just one meal late afternoon as I find it easier than two small meals. It also increases fasting time. I forgot to measure before I started two weeks ago so I’m going to do it now……

Good morning and welcome to our thread Amazon,

Sounds like you know what you are doing. It’s so frustrating keeping weight off isn’t it?
    Weather here is foul too, not looking forward to my airport run, dog walk was bad enough.

Tell us what you are planning and good luck with the dreaded tape measure. I would love to lose two stone by Christmas so we are in it together. Some of us on here also do low carb as we have found it successful.

Jojo xx

Good morning, all!
    Jojo, glad you had another good rest. Sleeping well makes all the difference for me. Woke up a little stiff this morning…kettlebell last night, new 30-minute DVD, hard, but I did it. Planning to do it Sunday and Thursday nights, and Pilates Tuesday and Saturday. Cardio intervals 4-5 mornings per week, and a run with friends on the weekend. Off to the gym now!
    Amazon, good for you on the weight loss so far, we are with you in spirit from all over the world!

Hi jojo,

I didn’t realise you were studying Spanish. If you hit any problems, you know where to come. 🙂

BTW if you have Spanish friends or acquaintances who tell you “Estás más gorda”, which literally means “You’ve put on weight”, don’t despair. When I was living in Spain and for a variety of reasons was within a very few pounds of ideal weight, that’s exactly what was said to me. What they meant was “you look great”. In Spanish culture, the word “gordo” – fat – is, or certainly used to be, associated with beauty and prosperity.

Thanks for the welcome.
    I had a two month holiday in Australia from mid December, and put 10lbs on while I was there. It was the alcohol that was my undoing as I did very well in not overindulging with food too often and did plenty of exercise. When I came back I was ill and have had a less than wonderful time health wise since then but things are much better now. I am getting over a slipped disc and started exercising again two weeks ago. TBH I’m surprised I’ve only put on 4lbs since I came home in February, but that may be due to the odd 500 calorie day here and there when I tries to get back on the diet and failed!
    All is going well so far. I’m keeping a food diary to ensure that I don’t go overboard on non fast days but I’ve decide I want to speed things up a bit hence the 4:3. I’ll be gradually increasing the exercise, I love walking and I do a Pilates class every week and am going to try to do some at home a couple of times a week. Fingers crossed I can keep it up, and good luck to all of you too.

Hello ply
    Can you tell me a bit more about the kettle bell training you do – for instance did you start off in a gym or get any advice? I am interested in it but as I have a shoulder issue I wonder if it is for me. I do have exercises for strengthening for it though and I wondered if kettle bells might help. I would be grateful for any advice you can give.

Many thanks.

Hi Amazon
    Good luck with achieving your goals. I also love walking and Pilates. I wish I could motivate myself to do more Pilates at home rather than once a week in class, i love how I feel after a class, several inches taller!

Hi Cheeseplease, I am currently using a 15 pound kettlebell and using Bob Harper’s (Biggest Loser trainer) DVD. He talks about the power coming from the hips when doing kettlebell swings, so maybe it would be okay for your shoulder. I would check with your doctor or trainer first, though. It definitely keeps the heart rate up. You could start with a lighter one and just a few minutes of swings and see how it goes. Jojo has been doing swings for a longer time, and I’m sure she can offer advice.
    Also, I was actually 1 1/4 inches taller when I had my physical a few weeks ago at the doctor! Definitely from Pilates!

BIG struggle with fasting today. Not sure why. I was out quite a bit over weekend but kept things in check.
    Today has just been very hard. I had 200 cal soup at lunch and then had to do a supermarket shop- what a nightmare so much temptation! Looking forward to chicken and veg later but I suspect I’ll be having a very early night!! Best wishes to all.

Same here Tartan Lass! This is my first day and I’m bloomin starving!!!! Well not too long to wait now – I will have my soup around 630 pm so hopefully that will sort my grumbling stomach out.

Hello everyone,

I am new to all this, but believe it or not, I have read all of the most popular forums, right back to the beginning – sad or what!

This is mainly for Jojo, but I’d like to tell you a little about myself first. I am 63, post menopausal, but still suffering the occasional hot flushes. I was on HRT for some years, which worked for me and I was reluctant to come off it. I have always been a “big girl” but at 5’9”, I think I have “got away with it”, never really going over a size 14, possibly a 16 in some cases. Firstly put on a huge amount when I gave up smoking some years ago – over 3 stone! By attending a Slimming club, I lost it all, plus more and managed to stay this weight for some years. On taking voluntary redundancy/early retirement 8 years ago, I managed to put two stone on, but again, successfully lost this with Rosemary Conley. I particularly liked the fact that the classes included 45 minutes of exercise. Kept most of this off, but about 2 years ago, a stone crept back on, so I joined Slimming World. Managed to lose it, but really by following my own diet and just attending the weekly weigh-ins. Couldn’t get on with their philosophy at all.

Lately, half a stone or more has crept back on again, so in March, I finally managed to convince my husband that we should try 5:2. I saw the original TV programme and was very motivated by it, but he was strongly against it – why would anyone want to starve themselves, it can’t be good for you, etc., etc. When one of his golf club chums rapidly lost weight, he decided we should try it and we can honestly say it’s the best thing we ever did! We managed to lose weight quite consistently and quickly, and I went past my half stone goal, losing over another half stone and I have never been so slim in my life – I love it! He has lost nearly two stone and looks great. I am where I want to be but he could do with losing a bit more, but as he says, he’s well under his original target (which has been alluding him for years), and he’s not going to beat himself up about it. I still do two days a week which literally allows me to eat anything, and drink anything I like the other five days. He couldn’t manage even one day a few weeks ago as he was so busy, but still stayed the same as I think his whole way of eating has changed.

it’s hard not to be evangelical about it, but as I said, it has worked for us and we can see ourselves living this WOL, possibly for ever!

Although I have read lots of posts, I have never really been tempted to “join in” but reading about Jojo’s problems with her hip, I just wanted to let her know that I too suffer, but my physio has said I have gluteal tendonopathy. Sounds exactly the same though and the main problem is during the night, the constant pain wakes me up and then keeps me awake! Steroid injections have been suggested, but I really don’t want to go down that route and the last time I had this, 5 years ago now, and currently, dry needling (acupuncture) has really worked for me. I’ve had two lots and the improvement has been fantastic.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning, but of course you may already have tried this. My physio suggested giving up all exercise for 2 weeks (I do 6 exercise classes a week) but this made absolutely no difference at all, so I went back to them. I was really worried that I would put weight on during this time, but I didn’t which I was really pleased about.

Fasting today as we had two very, very piggy days! Not too much damage on the scales this morning, but Saturday is my “official” weigh in so we will see then.

Hey guys,
    What a great thread this is, lots of interesting chat.
    Thanks Ply, yes sleep is great and absolutely necessary when you are dieting and exercising. You have convinced me to try Pilates again, this week, I so want to get taller.
    Hermajtomomi, thanks for the tip, I did know this one as I studied in Spain and they tend to be more interested in making sure you learnt about local customs and slang. Some of the things I learnt were very obscure. Definately interested in tips though. I would like to live in Spain for a year preferably with a family, it’s on my bucket list.

Cheeseplease – I recommend ‘the Swing’ by Tracy Reifkind. It recommends both diet and exercise using a kettlebell. She lost over 100 lbs so she knows where we are coming from as fatties that have yoyo dieted over many years. I find it really gives you strength, muscle definition and of course burns fat. She also combines her plan with daily walking which I would recommend if you are fit – preferably outside not treadmill.
    My arms which were very fat look amazing now after 4 months, you will see a difference within 4 weeks. Sounds silly but it’s like your body is being remodelled from the inside out -transforming from blobby caterpillar to lean butterfly. Seriously it works.

Tartan lass and very 2010 – I bet you are not drinking enough- that is the symptom of thirst. Try 4 pints of water, it will help. 8 am, 10 am, 1 pm and 3 pm. Plus herb teas.

Silva – welcome to our thread. You sound a very experienced and sucessful dieter, also one that understands what works for you. I was skeptical of 5:2 in the first three months. Detoxification was fairly horrible, I was not a nice person to be around. Usually I am positive and will experiment and adapt my own diet. I love exercise and feeling loose limbed. I am determined to get this hip issue sorted and will try anything. Last time I had acupuncture she burnt me which was a bit off putting and quite painful.
    Wouldn’t ‘t it be lovely to be cured of ‘piggy days’ , why do we do it? Would an athlete?
    I think we really need to change our mind sets about food, it may be a long journey but I am sure it’s the only way forward.

My daughter is home safe and sound and has been showing me videos of bungee jumps, para scending, canyon swings and such like, ghastly but I admire her courage.

Have a good evening all, off to make a nice Mediterranean omelette – yum

Evnin all 🙂
    Welcome to all newcomers . It has been a hectic few days .All we seemed to be doing was wait for someone to come to the house . 3 days watching out of the window .last night our top landing light fell right off the wall and was just dangling there ,metal plate and glass shade BUT all fixed now …Sigh ,,breathe .

our youngest granddaughter was just in to let us see her new car . she is 20 and is just so excited ..so lovely to see .We were given a drive round the block lol .
    I have been really good with the 5.2 but today I just had to have ice cream . I did and still well within my daily allowance , NOW!! that was what rocked the boat in my earlier attempts ( LOW CARB).

My RA has been pretty bad again the last couple of days and I know when I am stressed it is worse .:(.
    I have been laying things out on the bed in the spare room to take with us for our weekend in the Lake District ( this Sun ,Mon and home on Tuesday .
    I love reading all of your posts so please keep them coming . It is such a nice group .

I have home made mushroom soup on the stove at the moment for tomorrow fast . . Have a great day/ night everyone and be happy.

Wee xx

As you’ve studied in Spain, jojo, maybe I should come to you if and when I have a problem. 🙂 I get to do quite a few translations from Spanish, mostly of an arty-farty nature which usually means the author’s credo is “why use only two words when I can use 25?”.

Where did you study? I lived and worked first on the east coast in Gandia, which lies halfway between Valencia and Alicante and then a few years later in La Coruna, in Galicia on the north-west coastr, where all my best memories come from. The Gallegos are Celts who play the bagpipes. The coast is rugged with stretches known by quite sinister names like Costa de la Muerte (coast of death for non-Spanish-speakers) and Cabo de Finisterre (Cape End-of-the-World) and the countryside is very green as it rains a lot. The folklore includes lots of stories about witches, making it quite a strange and magical place.

In both cases I returned to the UK at optimum weight and looking really slim. In both cases I put on a stone within less than a month of arriving in the UK. Never knew why. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t overeating. Someone I knew suggested that when you live by the sea the iodine in the air speeds up your metabolism and moving inland slows it back down again. I’ve no idea whether this is correct.

Hello Silva,

Welcome to the club. Hope you lose as much as you want to and have fun while doing it. I know what you mean about stopping smoking, which I also did getting on for 13 years ago. Even though I was extremely careful about not eating sweets or other stuff to replace the ciggies I still piled the weight on. 5:2 is the first way of eating that’s ever worked for me. Also it seems to attract a very interesting bunch of people. 🙂

Hi Hermajtomomi,
    Don’t get too excited about my Spanish study as it was only holiday courses in Nerja. I did several one week courses and one 6 week course( as a beginner). I certainly wasn’t top of the class. I am keen but not dedicated, not a good combination. Now I just work from audio tapes and Hugo Books when I can spare some time.

I also used to smoke, a symptom of our age and fashion. I stopped many times but finally 28 years ago. Just like most I gained weight too – three stones and I still have it, how sad.

Hi Weemam, ice cream is one of my weaknesses too. I am afraid I can’t have it in the house. I have had a good reasnably low cal feed day – porrige with prunes, crayfish salad with sweet chilli dressing, Mediterranean omelette. Two oranges, an apple and some blueberries. My sin today was a packet of cheddar crisps.

I buy skinny cow ice cream (3 IN A BOX) CHOCOLATE CHIP AND THAT ADDS INTO THE DAYS (NOW AND AGAIN)MEALS WITHOUT A PROBLEM . i COULD never HAVE A TUB OF ANYTHING BECAUSE i KNOW i WOULD EAT IT . sOLERO ARE GOOD TOO BUT SKINNY COW ARE BETTER FOR CARBS CALS AND SUGAR . nICE i CAN HAVE SOME AND NOT FEEL i HAVE BEEN WICKED . iT DOES FEEL SO NICE NOW AND AGAIN . 🙂 XX

oops sorry about caps but hands to sore to do it all again ( I have RA )

WEE xx

Weemam,
    You are doing very well, your control is better than mine. Well done you, enjoy your ice cream.
    Jojo

Good morning Fast trackers,
    Another dull day with rain on the way, it was totally relentless yesterday, still I am sure my garden enjoyed it.
    Fasting today and being very strict. No more treats, it’s the hard line run up to my holiday – 30 days to go. I have decided that I will pack clothes marked size 16 or less, no baggies, that should keep me on the straight and narrow at the dinner table. 4 hours yoga every day should help too, plus swimming. If I remember correctly there is a spa too, so time for some pampering. I cannot wait!

Weeman – I hope you have a great trip too.

Ply – how is the kettlebell going? I remember it being very tough in the first month, endurance test.

Anyone else got something special planned that bwould be so much nicer if they were a size smaller. Anyone near goal yet?

I have been yoyo dieting for two months now, just 2.5 lb up and down but so annoying and all my own fault, eating far too much on feed days and undoing all the good work I do on fast days. I know I can do better than this, it’s my half way point of the goal, no time to be slacking, the next four stone won’t go without maximum effort. I am very worried about changing my high level exercise programme but my hip pain leaves me no choice.

Swimming and Pilates beckon, speak later

Be sensible everyone, let’s make September a record weight loss.

Hello, all! We finally have a few summery days here, temps in the 80s, as they should be in August.
    Jojo, I have been in the same boat, and am ready to be strictly on track and drop the last 10 pounds. Off to the gym right now, and Pilates later. I have a lunch date with my mom and my aunt, but I can find a nice salad to enjoy. I am going to shop for yarn today to start on some scarves for my nieces for fall. That should keep my hands busy enough to avoid snacking at night, which has been a struggle for me lately.
    Kettlebell was good! Mine is 15 lbs, probably a bit heavy for me, but I completed the program, and I know it will get easier as I go.
    Trying to make the most of the last week of my summer break! Back to school next Tuesday!

Hello Ply,
    I started with a 5 lb kettlebell weight( because I had one) but now use 8 kilo which is 19 lbs. believe it or not 18 lbs is the minimum recommended for women if you want to burn calories fast. It’s all about the swing rhythm. I use a book not DVD but I can see how that would be an advantage. I like my own rock music on in the background, keeps me going when the going gets tough, last five minutes. My ex is quite surprised by the heavy things I move around with ease these days. I feel like Popeye(strong man(sailor)cartoon character of many years ago, he ate much spinach too)
    Hope you enjoyed the gym today?
    I really missed my walk and talk group today, swimming was not as good and the water temperature was cold today Brrhhhh, not much fun. Just having a cuppa before Pilates, first class for years, hope I can manage it?

I have promised to help my daughter get her class ready this week, no rest for the wicked aye?

Hopefully things will get better for both of us in September, it’s all about control and making good decisions. I know you will be better when you are back at work. You did brilliantly up until the holidays, we both did. No more social distractions apart from a wedding reception on Friday night.

I don’t knit, tried it several times, failed miserably, but I like embroidery and I draw and paint.

I am back to my old tried and tested formulae – porrige with fruit for breakfast( made with water) of course, slimming or homemade soup with three breadsticks for lunch plus an apple and fish and veg or omelette for tea. Snack is an orange or kiwi. Not exciting but effective. Very little carb and processed foods / sugar and plenty of fibre.
    4 pints of water plus herb teas.

Morning all.
    Yesterday’s fast was sooooo difficult. I don’t know how I got through it.
    I don’t usually find fast days tough but I didn’t have enough to keep me busy yesterday.
    I was so hungry when I went to bed but not even slightly peckish when I got up this morning, and of course I’m feeling smug because I did it!
    It hasn’t really got light today and has been drizzling non-stop since I got up, so not much enthusiasm for walking as I don’t fancy coming home cold and wet.
    I’ve written a menu plan for the week and I’m going to see if I can stick to it as I want to keep the calories down every day. Two meals every day, brunch and dinner which suits me as I don’t like to eat until after I’ve been up a while.I am trying to work out every morning so when I get up I put the exercise gear on.
    I’ve put a photo of (previously) slender me wearing a swimsuit on the fridge door and hung an outfit that is too tight on the wardrobe door.
    Every little helps!

Hey Amazon,
    Living up to your ‘handle’, all power to you.
    I do the before and after picture on the fridge door too.
    As you say, every little helps

Hey, Amazon, good job powering through a tough fast day, and thanks for the tips!
    Gym was good, Jojo. I have reached another fitness goal: I no longer feel compelled to apologize to the poor souls behind my treadmill for having to look at my backside! It’s not so bad to look at now!

Hi Jojo and Hermaj,

Thank you both for your quick responses and warm welcome. Not sure about the successful dieter bit – if that were the case, why do I keep putting the weight back on! That’s always been my problem though. Once I decide to do something and put my mind to it, I am usually successful, but I do find keeping it off very difficult. That’s why I love this WOL so much and I really do think that I will keep the weight off. Hope I didn’t sound smug, that certainly wasn’t my intention!

Jojo, your comment about being burnt by acupuncture alarmed me, but I think I know what you mean. Many years ago, I had Chinese acupuncture (different medical complaint), and he put the needles in my back, then put a very strong lamp on it which did get uncomfortably hot. This is not the same at all. As I understand it, Chinese acupuncture works on finding energy channels (someone will put me right on that I am sure), but this is what they call dry needling, just a fine needle inserted deep into the muscle. It’s rather an odd sensation but certainly not painful. Also, someone recommended Tumeric tablets as they are a natural anti-inflamatory apparently. Like you, I was prepared to try anything, so have been taking them (bought from Zipvit) for several weeks now and maybe its just coincidence, but my hip pain has definitely improved. Just the odd twinges now and then.

I have never tried kettlebells, but do Body Pump twice a week which I love, and also Pilates twice a week, but I have found that some of the exercises aren’t so good for my hip. I suppose you just have to listen to your body.

My fasting day went well yesterday, it really does get easier. My favourite drink on fast days is slimline tonic with a lot of ice and a slice of lemon, I can almost imagine it’s a gin & tonic!

Hi everyone, enjoying the wet and miserable weather? Well it’s just put a smile on my face! Got out cooler weather clothes, popped a pair of trousers on which now require a belt (yay), got a belt out – not enough holes, it’s too big – wow, now there’s a boost for a wet Tuesday! Hope your day is going well.

Hi Silva and jojo,

I can’t resist giving a big round of applause for acupuncture. I first sought help 5 years ago. Having been prescribed steroids for polymyalgia rheumatica, which then screwed up my immune system leading to shingles, followed by the even more painful post-herpetic neuralgia, not to mention the weight gain and great big moon face and little piggy eyes, I consulted an acupuncturist more or less in dispair.

Slowly but surely, the acupuncture worked, as it has done for a number of minor issues ever since. The first treatment didn’t hurt at all, I didn’t feel a single needle go in. Had it hurt, I’m such a wuss that I probably wouldn’t have gone back. And if I’d been threatened with a lamp, as you were, jojo, I would have been out of there double quick!

Pain or otherwise varies from session to session. Sometimes you feel nothing, other times maybe one or two needles will cause you to jump a bit but it never lasts for more than a second or two.

As of now, I’m in pretty good nick generally, due in no small measure to nearly 20 months on 5:2, but I go along every few weeks if I need extra physical or mental stamina, e.g. prior to going on holiday which always means lots and lots of walking, or if a particularly difficult translation crops up or, like now, I have a dissertation to write.

Just came in to share the excitement :). I was going to say JUST lost 17 pounds so far BUT have lost loads of measurements . We are going to the Lakes at the weekend ( I think I mentioned it before lol ) I was looking out what to take with me and the trousers I usually wear are so baggy on my bum 🙂 . I have lost this weight in the past BUT never with so many inches too . I am back to smaller trousers and “over the moon” is an understatement . My neighbour asked this morning if I had lost weight .

Fasting today with home made mushroom soup and sugar free jelly .

I have dad on Thursday and will fast then too . I am so so so happy . I might be 72 but today I can turn the numbers around in my head ..27 lol . WELL!!! in mind 😛 . have a great week/weekend everyone

Wee xx

Awesome, Weemam! You are an inspiration. Enjoy your vacation!

Well done weemam, you must be very proud of yourself. I sometimes think losing inches is better than weight as you can see the results in the mirror and in your clothes. Have a great holiday, I hope the weather is kind to you. Steer clear of the cream teas!

Cause for rejoicing – weemam now only has a wee bum! And 17 lbs is still a very respectable weight loss, no ONLY about it. Maximum respect on both counts. 🙂 Have a great trip to the Lakes.

Awww thanks all of you . It is a long way from WEE ( my bum lol) but getting there lol . I am getting excited now . We usually manage a couple of days a year at the lake District but last year the RA was too bad to drive as far . So extra exciting .
    Wee xx

@amazon

That’s how I feel many times. AND I LOSE WEIGHT

BUT
    The next day. I feel as if it’s over. Not like starvation that I have had success with in the past.
    I feel very empowered to lose weight doing it this way. This has lead to high confidence that I will ultimately lose 100lbsand know how to maintain it.

However there’s a flip side of the coin for me. My reading on the subjects of weight loss has led me to opinion that I could become slim yet unhealthy eater. So after many many fasts where I’ve kept a journal. I’ve found what works for me on fast days. Very happy about that. I then turned to my feed days.

So my fast days are set. So now on my feed days, instead continue gorging on the foods that made me morbidly obese. I looked at the feed days as days to eat health foods, or cancer fighting foods. It was like an additional challeng. What I discovered was placing fish 1 day home cooked and 1 day eating in a restaurant out with my wife. So when I’m on 4:3. And eating fish twice in week . Only leaves 2 other days to find those recipes for my new healthier lifestyle of eating what either nourishes or heals me.

But just like your post the fast days tend to be a struggle when I restart, but after 2-3 weeks I find my routine helpful to carefully journal what days are better than others. After reading about foods that have enzymes that help be sensitive to the full feeling- because no pill or food makes you feel full unless you actual are full. I discovered there are two foods that make all humans SENSITIVE to the full feeling.
    Red kidney beans , and Catfish.

So I tried it out as a hunger management strategy.

I can start any fast day with waiting until 12noon. And eat the red kidney beans at half my calories. But I mix them into water sort of a chilli soup.so theater doesn’t just pass through.i feel. Full for 3 1/2 hours.

So I get hungry but not starved for 1 1/2 – 2 hours until 5pm- dinner with family time.
    Here I eat the cat fish just like the kidney beans. As a spicy soup. O get the full feeling again and it lasts till 8pm. When I get hungry again. I start finding my way to going to bed early before any hunger pangs temp me. I’ve learned to strict about not having a single morsel of anything at that point . Because ivehad successful days. All the wat to 10:30. Ate a bit o something , and the hunger genie hits me with a unfillable appetite -I’ve even binged-and still felt hungry. So I learned to just go to bedearly when I get hunger pangs close to bed time.

Also I found that exercising on fast days created a strong hunger pang from time to time. So If I exercise on fast day it’s typically not hard and fast workout. Rather a 5-6 hour long day of doing light hand weights or kettle ball without breaking a sweat. Enough to burn calories but not enough to trigger hunger pangs.
    I then learned to skip rope, to improve my vo2 max.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max
    I learned that could do intense H.I.I.T of 7-10 minutes on fast day. But I do it 10-20 mi utes prior to eating the red beans.
    So if wait till actual hunger pang hits after the exercise then eat the beans I’m sated and it lasts 3 1/2 hours.

Of course this is just what I’ve found that works for me. We all seem to find what works individually.
    Good luck. I hope you get to that point of feeling as confident and empowered to achieve your goal I do.
    Keep On Keepin On

This was an interesting and quick read about cherry.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/dec2007_sf_cherries_01.htm

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.