Long-term Success

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Carolyn66 8 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hello there! I started the 5:2 diet in September 2013 and it took me six months to lose two stones. I had been two stones overweight for 18 years, and had tried (and failed on) many diets. I had just about resigned myself to being fat for the rest of my life. The 5:2 has been miraculous for me.
    I have been maintaining my healthy weight for over two years now, and now wear size 12 clothes… I used to be a size 16/18.
    I have 500 days on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and eat whatever I like the rest of the time. I weigh myself every Saturday morning, and text myself the result. If I’ve put on a pound or two, I simply add in another 500 day or cut back on the pasta and crisps!
    I prefer to go all day without food now… I just have water, coffee or make a veggie Oxo ‘soup’. I do not seem to get hungry.
    In the evening I have huge amounts
    of green veg with Quorn sausages and gravy, or a prawn stir-fry. I’m also a fan of white cabbage ‘rice’ and borlotti beans.
    I love the 5:2! Thank you, Michael Mosley.

Are you Carolees ( maybe spelt wrong , sorry) from the fast day forum?
    Am impressed how well you have done- do you still need to do 2 FD even now when maintaining? Maybe you do if you are eating ‘whatever’ on the non fast days, think to lose we need to stick to TDEE- is that right?
    Thanks, susie

Hello Susie
    No, I’m not ‘carolees’, I only registered on the forum yesterday.
    Yes, I do two 500 days to maintain… we eat out at least twice a week, plus I love pinot grigio and Indian food (not on the same plate!)
    You may well be better off sticking to your TDEE all the time, I think it’s a case of just doing what works for you.
    I don’t always go mad on non-500 days… we have a lot of pulse-based dishes and have cauli or white cabbage rice on ‘normal’ days, too.
    All the best, and good luck!
    P.S. I can still put a couple of pounds on, even with my two 500 days. The main beauty of this ‘diet’ is its flexibility, and the fact that you can happily do it for the rest of your days.

Hi Carolyn, thanks for your post. I have been thinking about the maintenance part a lot lately as it is probably more challenging than the weight loss part. So it would be really interesting to hear a bit more about how you tackled this back then. Was there a lot of trial and error involved or did you know from the start that you would continue with the 5:2 structure? Did you also try 6:1 and then watch your TDEE on non fast days? I understand that we all have to find out what works best for us but it is helpful to hear how others went through this. Thanks 🙂
    Karen

Hello there Karen
    Thank you for getting in touch. Looking back, I think for the first month or two, I decided to do 6:1 to maintain. It soon became apparent though, that this wasn’t enough for me, so I just went back to my Tuesdays and Thursdays. I only count calories on fast days… otherwise it becomes too much like a ‘diet’ diet. I’m sure part of the reason it’s worked well for me is because of its ‘doability’ and the knowledge that you can have pretty much what you want on non-500 days.
    Hope that helps : )

Thanks, that is helpful. Sounds like you are very disciplined with your 2 FD? That comes easy to you?
    Karen

Yes, I don’t really have to think about it anymore… I have a list of favourite recipes which I refer to, and just do it. After being overweight for so long, I just can’t face the thought of it happening again. I am still flexible, though, so if I am going out for dinner on a Thursday (like this week) I just switch my days. I wouldn’t fast on holiday either!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.