Last chance saloon

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  W1066 7 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi, Kev from Scotland…….as well as getting the book I read up a lot online about the 5:2, and decided thats for me, a typical yo-yo dieter, and can never get past a few days…..me and Homer Simpson have a lot in common lol, anyways, I’m going to do total fasts on the 2 days as that will be easier, a wee drop wouldn’t be enough for me and I’d want more, so its easier just to do without those days, besides, I’ve fasted the occassional day in the past, not intentionally or forced – I just felt I never fancied anything and it never really bothered me. Trouble is, on the other days I tend to eat crap, you know, sweets and chocolate (way too much), and anything you can just throw in the microwave. I’ve tried Atkins in the past, although it works well…things that taste good tend to have carbs in them, so that went the way of the dodo after a few days, I tried WW next, but their portions? not enough to feed a starving cat! so that went out the window pretty quick as well, now to give you an idea, I’m currently 19st, and hope to lose 5-6 stone, even if its only a couple of lbs a week is cool as long as its using something I’m happy with, and the 5:2 sounds perfect. I’ve wanted to get off the sugar for ages now, one bag of maltesers is never enough (I’m sure there’s many on here that can relate to that). Now from what I’ve read the first week or two are the toughest (but manageable), so this is probably the best time to go cold turkey on anything with sugar, the sugar cravings and all the other bad things connected with it disappear after a week to 10 days, I know that as a fact from trying Atkins, I went back to it through stupidity, not cravings, so from week three I hoping for it to be a breeze…..and as for the 2 ‘fasting’ days, I really don’t envisage major problems, lots of water, a couple of cans of coke zero and a pack of cigarettes and I’ll be happy 🙂 first fast day tomorrow (Monday)

I think you should look up Butter Bob on Youtube.

You’re coming into this well-prepared, Kev, if you understand about eliminating the sugar. For me, cold turkey was the only way. I did it a year ago and never looked back, with zero regrets. I’m nearly 5 stone down and no longer diabetic, so I can tell you that 5:2 works. (In my case, combined with LCHF, but you’ll find plenty of other systems here). Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

Good call, Obesa — I second the Butter Bob!

Cheers, I had a look at a Butter Bob video, he talks sense, LCHF combined with 5:2 should work great. I think the reason I couldn’t stick with Atkins even though it was working, was that it was too strict, I missed a can watching a film at night, so LC combined with 5:2 a can of Coors light in the evening on non-fast days isn’t going to do any harm, and it was a complete no-no on Atkins……so this way looks like its going to be very manageable

I can relate to everything you say, especially the maltesers!

I am starting tomorrow too. Another sugar addict trying for cold turkey!

Good luck.

Wendy from Scotland

Good luck Wendy, its a new start for us both, I know the first 2 weeks will be hard, a lot of people just don’t realise how addictive sugar is, it won’t be easy, but I’ve done it before………so believe me when I tell you, you’ll be so surprised at just how fast you’ll get through it, you’ll feel like crap for the first few days but you’ll genuinely start feeling much better in as little as 5 days, and as for the cravings, they’ll be completely gone by about day 10, after a couple of weeks sweets or chocolate won’t even cross your mind. I’m only going to do weigh ins every 2 weeks, so the first one will give even more motivation

Well 10 days doesn’t sound too bad, I’ll keep saying ‘it will get easier, it will get easier’ and hopefully I won’t go crazy over Easter!

Any tips for non sugar snacks? I usually veer towards nuts but they are rather moreish!

Wendy

Small cuts of celery with crunchy peanut butter

Hello Kev and Wendy

Have you thought about joining the 30 Day April 2017 Challenge thread ? It might help you both stay on course.

Interesting combination. Not too keen on celery. Maybe Apple and peanut butter. Yum!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.