Just starting out

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Bulldogmom2009 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi! My name is Jennifer and I just started the diet plan on Monday. Monday was my first fast day and today is my second. I have found the fasting relatively easy. It is 7PM and I have half of my days calories left.

I am looking to lose approximately 15 lbs. I have been using a low carb approach for the last couple of months and have been slowly losing weight. This diet is not sustainable in the long run though. I have decided to incorporate the 5:2 plan into my low carb life style to give me a jump start. When I reach my goal I plan on sticking to the 5:2 and reintroducing healthy carbs into my diet.

Does anyone have any input on doing the 2 “diets” together? Is this something that should work with this plan? Although the book says you can eat pretty much whatever you want for 5 days I have to go back to “if it sounds too good to be true it probably is”.

Any input or encouragement would be appreciated! 🙂

I’m no fan of low-carb because this normally means low-fiber and those are pretty important. I prefer low-refined. 😉
    The 5:2 should be more then enough to lose weight. I’m on the 6:1 and I’m having problems keeping my current weight from going down to much.

If you were a client of mine, then I’d recommend that you’d start the 5:2 and slowly start adding healthy, unrefined, carbs straight away. Maybe a slice of whole wheat bread one day and some whole wheat pasta the other. You may experience some weight gain at first but this is just water weight.

Hi Jennifer,
    Sonds like a good plan to me. I can´t be of any help with your questions I´m afraid. I´ve just started out and I´m also in the ” too good to be true ” frame of mind too but I just wanted to say welcome.

Look forward to seeing how we go.

Hello, Jennifer (Amajen) – Yes, I agree with catemc that it sounds like a good plan for you and I think, like AmandaBB, that distinguishing between low-carb and low-refined is very sensible. On the 5:2 system no food is necessarily ‘banned’ but a lot of any successful weight-loss is down to just making healthier choices. Don’t forget that there are carbs in many fruits and the starchy vegetables, not just in things like pasta or bread.
    It sounds like you already know what you’re doing and I look forward to hearing more news of your good progress. Best wishes.

Thank you for all of your great replies. I stressed low carb instead of no carb because I do eat a lot of veggies. I will also start adding in a couple of other healthy carbs in the near future. I haven’t been doing the traditional Atkins diet just trying to stick mainly to lean and green. Good luck to everyone as well. I look forward to what this new lifestyle will bring! Hopefully something like AmandaBB! I would love to have problems keeping weight on!!!

Hi I’ve just started the 5:2 today. Had a banana for breakfast and nothing for lunch. Starting to feel hungry now tho! I drink black tea/coffee normally and about 10 cups a day (I know this is quite alot) but it keeps my appetite at bay! and I can’t drink loads of water. Does this matter??? Also am post menopausal which I think might be why I’m finding it difficult to lose weight by normal dieting. One question I want to know is this: do you have to keep to the same 2 days fasting all the time or can you pick and choose as long as you fast for 2 days a week??

Hello everyone,
    I’ve just started today (still waiting for the book to arrive from Amazon, but checked out some info on this website before so thought I would try it anyway). So, armed with a mind of steel I have done fine so far as I type. Had 100g of 2% fat greek yoghurt for breakfast and been drinking mugs of jasmine green tea and at 3pm had a milky English tea. So I still have enough calories over for my supper tonight of poached eggs and broccoli dressed in a little sesame oil, soya sauce and chilli flakes. I can’t wait!
    Funnily and mercifully, I didn’t have hunger pangs today. But as it is my first fasting day ever, the test will undoubtedly come, in time.
    I wouldn’t say I have weight to lose but definitely a round lower abdomen to get rid of. I hate it protruding at the top of my jeans and just sticking out in everything I wear. I am so emabarrassed. I do wonder if this fasting diet will help as I have tried different things along with intensive exercises.
    Anyway, I hope to feedback from time to time to keep myself accountable and also encourage one another. All good wishes to all of you!

Hello All! I am now three weeks into the new life style and have lost 3 lbs. Though this is not a huge amount of weight I was stuck on a plateau for some time just sticking to low carb. My weight bounces around a bit but I find it bouncing in a lower range now and I am enjoying that. The fast days aren’t too tough and find I end up with extra leftover calories at night. I try to keep my self as busy as possible on those days so as to not think about food. This strategy is absolutely working. I am happy with the results thus far and look forward to continued health and weight loss. 🙂

Hi everyone, just found about this site today….pretty excited about sharing my experience.

I am a mom of 2 adult sons, married 25 yrs, grannie of 1 & 3 yr old, and a corporate safety director of an electric company in Arizona. I used to weigh 324 lbs…now 145…Lost it over the course of 4 yrs. I can say I did a variation of this diet and that’s how I lost most my weight. 1000% naturally and no surgery.

In my case, I did 5 days 500 – 650 calories and 2 days 1250 – 1400 calpries for the 1st 10 months and lost 100 lbs. then slowly started to transition 3 days low calorie & 4 off, etc. The last 3 yrs lost the other weight mentioned and started exercising on my higher calorie days. The entire time and still to this day I eat under 75 carbs a day. That allows for a dessert or pasta without guilt! Also extra fruit in the summer that I love!

This works – truly. Just try it. You can contact me on here for any questions you may have – I’d be happy to answer what I can. I’d like to post a picture or 2 but not sure it will accept a photo?

Have a safe day!
    Angie.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.