Just getting started

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rosemaryhw 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Hello,
    I watched M. Mosley’s BBC tv special and decided to give the Fast a try. I am almost 60 and have always struggled with weight although with a fair amount of success. Only 5 lb overweight, I had a hard time losing and keeping off the last 5 lbs. I have been following this 5:2 diet for 8 weeks now and love it. The first few weeks were difficult but much easier now and I look forward to fast days now.For the first 4 weeks I fasted on two consecutive days until I realized that was not necessary. Sugar is my vice so on fast days I completely eliminate sugar and eat only healthy food. I feel better and lost the five pounds in about 5 weeks or so. I had cancer about 7 years ago and for this reason am looking for ways to keep it at bay. Hoping my IG1 levels will stay low. As for cholesterol I have always tested borderline. I am looking forward to my next cholesterol test in Oct to see if the diet helps keep my levels lower. This diet may not be for everyone but I find it easier than other types of diets. Am hoping to sharpen my mind too as my job requires me to be on my toes! Best of luck to everyone who tries this. I wish there was a way for us to measure success in ways other than pounds lost. Maybe someday there will be a way. Suse

Sounds like you’re doing really well, Suse. I started the diet yesterday after reading the book and watching the Eat, Fast and Live Longer TV program. Both my husband and I think the concept of intermittent fasting is sensible, so I decided that I’d try it and see what happens. I’m 52 years old and fortunately, I’ve never been overweight except for a few kilos that I’d like to say goodbye to. My main motivation for doing this diet is to reduce my cholesterol reading which is around the 7 mark. Since that test which was about 2 years ago,I have increased my intake of ‘good’ fats, i.e. nuts, avocado and salmon which I now eat regularly. I had my last cholesterol test last week and will get the results this week sometime. I thought that I’d start the diet now and continue for three months or so, when I would re-test my cholesterol and see if it makes any difference. I’m really interested to see if it does. Yesterday (my first fast day) I found that I was hungry in the afternoon but it wasn’t too bad and when I woke up this morning I wasn’t hungry at all. Today I’ve eaten normally, not overdoing it at all. My next fasting day is Wednesday, so fingers crossed for another good fast day!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.