Jingle Jangle July 🐣🐥

This topic contains 293 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  AT 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 288 total)

• Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 158.4

Down just a bit from yesterday; my FD was not what it should have been.

Happy Independence Day to all of us who live here; we’re off to Seward, as we’ve done most of the years of our marriage, and here’s why: http://www.julyfourthseward.com/ Great fun, and I’m looking forward especially to my annual gyro and the city band in the bandshell. We’ll drive north about an hour to spend the rest of the day at the lake house of the people who hosted the 40th anniversary party last week, and I’m taking a large pitcher of sangria with raspberries, blueberries and apple slices as well as a spinach salad with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries, plus crumbled feta and a poppy seed dressing…get the red, white and blue theme? Fun day, full of traditions.

@merryapple Yup, I also am inclined to eat earlier than ever these days just because I’m struggling to stop the nibbling–instead of 6 yesterday, I had our hamburgers and cole slaw ready at 5:05, LOL! And it worked: once I’d eaten supper, I lost all interest in nibbling.

@penz Thanks for your encouragement; you and I are both struggling to be the women of restraint we want to be, huh?

@songbirdme Your drive today to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, sounds absolutely lovely! Have a grand time with the wind in your hair! And, YES, any time you’re in NE, do stop by and we’ll have a grand visit together!

@jaifaim Yeah, “impulsiveness” certainly describes my actions on a frequent basis. The biggest reason yesterday’s FD went awry was because I encountered evidence of it being a 4-day weekend for the Fourth every minute of the day yesterday, and I just couldn’t bear to have a “boring” FD meal when it would be so much lovelier to have a festive “4th” meal. And, the bun and wagyu beef added up to about 400, which gave me room for cole slaw–and I was OFF on a plan to have a “festive” meal. And then I got seriously carried away with what else I should eat/drink before and during this festive meal. My biggest challenge is my love of making lovely meals, which sometimes translates as gourmet and fancy and sometimes simply as burgers and slaw for the 4th. I never used to obsess so on “lovely” meals and need to find a path in my mind to contentment with boring meals, LOL! In the end, it’s a mind game, isn’t it?

@daffodil2010 Yeah, “Hunger is not an emergency” resonates with me as well, and has been in the front of my mind regularly.

@funshipfreddie TWENTY-FOUR-HUNDRED CALORIES FOR TDEE????????? Yeah. I’m 1500. 🤪😂

@yo-yo_fletch I’ve been trying to remember if I was ever here when you were, and your last post was December 2019 and I didn’t come back (I’d been here in around 2015 or later–don’t remember) until spring 2020, so that’s why I didn’t recognize your handle. Your location, however? “Stratford Upon Avon” just sort of rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? 😍

Okay, I need to go water and then we’ll be off for the day. Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 4, Northern Virginia, USA

Happy 4th to all!

Day 4 country west Australia NFD
    Had posted and thought I saw it up but it seems to have disappeared in the ether.
    Back for jingle jangle July.

Day 4 USA/Hawaii FD

Time to get back to making this a FD800. Need to renew my friendship with MFP and log in every calorie today!

Day 5, NFD, Aus

Gosh this week is oozing along. So slow!

Apologies @excelsior12309, I also thought VA was for Virginia. Shout out to you and for Canada Day!

I have a convertible too @songbirdme. The “rule” is, unless it’s raining, the top must be down! (Helps to have those heated seats in winter.) How was your drive out to the Lake?

Day 5/26 days to go NFD NZ 87.1kg

Today is meant to be dry but windy. There’s no sun and I can see rain clouds. Is it a bike ride day? I’m not so sure.
    I have a cousin’s daughter coming to stay for a couple of nights. She’s been traveling the world after gaining a FineArts degree and is now studying Art Therapy so I shall be interested to hear about her course. Art Therapy is an oxymoron. The best artists I know I like to say have a stone in their shoe and help us see the world with a different lense.
    @lilymartin Great to have you check in. I know you have been super busy and loosing a post is so annoying.
    @maui “Aloha” Lovely to have you back on regular posting. Between you and @funshipfreddie I am enrolling in My Fitness (when it lets me complete the enrolment)
    @daffodil2010 Lovely that you have time for yourself coming up. Thank you. Wee Mr Mac is now on the decreasing dose of steroids and slept through the night for the first time in 4 nights…
    @stitchincarol I started school in Boston and can remember being so excited by the 4th of July parade. My father was one of the first wave of nephrologists at Boston University Medical Center in the early 1960s. Seward looks like an amazing event and so much fun. Although stay well clear of that apple pie scoff!!
    I never quite understand the all you can eat at once competitions. But then in California I did look after the meatball man who coughed at the same time as swallowing a big meat ball. He ruptured his oesophagus and inhaled bits of meatball. They were everywhere they shouldn’t be and despite our best efforts he didn’t make it. There might be a moral in there somewhere…

Kia Kaha! Stay Strong!

Day 5 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Oops what was I thinking 🥹 of course VA is Virgina @funshipfreddie and @penz – so embarrassed 🙈 – I’m generally good with geography and American states – obviously not anymore..
    So @excelsior12309 I do hope you had a lovely 4th of July 🇺🇸♥️ and apologies for the mix up 🥴.

Actually I did wonder recently whether we had any Canadians on the forum 🤔

@merryapple that is a shocking story about the meatball man but there is a lesson there about gluttony 🥹
    Enjoy your visitor and all the best to Mr Mac – the poor little man… 🐶

@maui MFP is working for me this week so far – hope you enjoy re-acquainting yourself with your fitness pal 😇

@lilymartin there are strange things afoot with the posts… hopefully they can resolve the problem soon.

@stitchincarol I hear you! I’m trying to make the “boring” meals interesting so trying more protein based meals rather than the carbs and the crispy food I just adore… I made some quinoa crunch last night instead of granola as an example… it’s good 😋.

@daffodil2010 hope your Keto day went well. 👍 sounded lovely and healthy.

Awake early today – woke at 4.30 and did not get back to sleep so will try a work out maybe as what is seldom is wonderful isn’t it – trying to turn this “little sleep” start to the day on its head 😂 and into a positive.
    It may make for a long FD though 🙃

Kia Kaha 💪

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 5 USA/HI CD
    I’m posting early for day 5 but since it’s already day 5 for most everyone, it’s probably ok. I’m afraid I will not have time to post in the morning as I have a RN from Hospice coming early morning. Afterwards my focus will be on making sure DH has opportunity to eat whatever he is able and hopefully get him hydrated. He sleeps most of the time now so DS will watch over on camera from upstairs office plus check in on him often while I go to work at the art gallery for a few hours. .it’s my happy place giving me a change in routine and conversations.
    Happy to say MFP did not disappoint! I had an amazing amount of tasty food today and logged in only 812 calories! I had forgotten some of the yummy meals you can have when you take time to seek out some low calorie but high volume foods.
    Day 5 will be a control day, keeping calories 1100 or under. Will probably wait till start of Day 6 to do a weigh in again.
    Hope everyone is having a great day or evening!

Day 5 – Stratford upon Avon, UK – FD

2nd FD of the week and feeling strong. Good NFD yesterday, ate well and within my TDEE.

Anyone here experience fidgety legs? I could feel my fidgety legs starting last night (it frequently keeps me awake and drives me mad!!!) so I had an almond bar and I don’t know if it was the placebo effect but the fidgetiness stopped and a good nights sleep followed. I have ordered some magnesium cream to rub into my legs at night as I understand that fidgety legs could mean a lack of magnesium. I’m willing to give it a go as it has been pretty bad lately, usually worse after exercise but could also be a menopausal symptom. Any tips on how to manage with it would be gratefully received!

@songbirdme – thank you for the welcome back, I’m happy to be here!

@stitchincarol – I do remember your name but I’m not sure if we have been active at the same time before. Although I have lived in Stratford upon Avon for 19 years, I have lived in the UK for 34 years, starting off in London at the tender age of 20. But, I hail from Cork, Ireland – and still have my Irish brogue!
    Your Independence Day plans sounds like a lot of fun!

@merryapple – that was a very unfortunate end for the Meatball Man 🙁

I’m on my own in our office today so it’s going to be a loooong day with no one to talk to. Gallons of black coffee and water to power me through.
    Hope everyone has a good day!

Day 5 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. Ok, this has got to stop. Yesterday, we had a huge 40 ft tree limb fall from an old pecan tree, so my brother and I had to spend the afternoon chopping it up. Mom is having some side effects from her medication I think; trying to get her to talk to her doctor before the weekend. We made Wendy’s style Frostys last night, so… anyway, I am ready for some good fasting. Maybe even a two day one to kick myself back onto the pathway. But definitely today.

Pocket list – Day 5
    @northgeorgia
    @yo-yo Fletch

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Very late posting again today due to line-dancing 🤦‍♂️ 🕺

@jaifaim – no need to feel embarrassed! 😅 I wonder if anyone knows by heart all those two-letter abbreviations for all the USA states? I know the easy ones like Florida (FL) California (CA) & New York (NY). Oh, & the NC/SC for the Carolinas. I guess the tricky ones are the ones starting with an ‘M’, because there are so many. I wonder if it’s something you have to learn at school?

@merryapple – OMG? Of all the ways you can go – death by meatball?! 😱 I wonder what they put on the certificate? Even drinking too much water too quickly can lead to an untimely death. I heard about a radio competition where a woman died from drinking too much water too quickly. It can cause an electrolyte/sodium imbalance in the brain, causing all kinds of problems, including death in some cases ⚰️

@yo-yo-fletch – Restless Leg Syndrome you mean? That must be so annoying. Here’s an article from healthline.com, including some home remedies you could try. It affects twice as many women as men, for some reason:- https://www.healthline.com/health/restless-leg-syndrome

@jaifaim, @maui – MFP really does make a difference. It does for me anyway, if I resolve to log everything I eat. It certainly puts a brake on the mindless munching if you have to log it first.

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Pocket List – Day 5 🍋
    @jaifaim
    @yo-yo-fletch
    @northgeorgia

USA. Day 5. WFD

Since yesterday’s WFD ended with the Fourth of July festivities, I felt another WFD was in order. I am again joining the pocket list.

Pocket List – Day 5 🍋
    @jaifaim
    @yo-yo-fletch
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco. WFD

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Day 5 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – WAY too much

Somehow, what I thought was a usual Wednesday morning started off at a fast pace, so I’m only now managing to post. I toyed with planning a FD today, but decided I’d have better success with a controlled NFD, so that’s what I’m doing, and so far I’ve done fine.

@yo-yo_fletch I’ve suffered with RLS for decades, but find that it’s rare as I’ve gotten older. But, you’re right, it’s a MISERABLE thing. Keep us posted if the magnesium cream helps. (And I smiled that you called them fidgety legs; until I learned the real name–Restless Leg Syndrome–I always called them twitchy legs!)

@northgeorgia Oh, dear! A 40-foot branch could have done some serious damage, but since you didn’t mention any, I’m assuming it didn’t hit anything? Whew, eh?

@funshipfreddie and @jaifaim Knowing all the 2-letter abreviations is a challenge, and if it’s any comfort, @songbirdme got Nebraska wrong a day or two ago, LOL! I stared for a LONG time when she talked about coming to NB, wondering why she was talking about North Bend, a small town near us. 😂😂 I finally realized she meant Nebraska; that’s a mistake lots of people make since Nevada is NV.

Okay, things to do. Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 6 / 25 to go FD NZ 173kg

😱 I can see blue skies and sunshine! Forecast is partly cloudy, rain returning tomorrow… Not sure why my weight is creeping up because I am in control with eating. But I know enough to keep going and let my body sort itself out. I did however check the calorie count in green ginger wine which is so warming. 100 ml = 150 cals. I have been using a wee 50 ml glass so that’s not too bad. Whisky is about the same, wine twice as many calories per volume.

@yo-yo-fletch Hope the FD went well on your own! The clinical name for fidgety legs is Restless Leg Syndrome if you want to use Dr Google. I recall that there can be a genetic or pathology component (eg for renal pts) as well as unknown aetiology (don’t know what or why).
    @maui That’s lovely to hear your DH is relaxed and comfortable and you are enjoying finding time for you. What sort of art gallery do you work in?
    @songbirdme I just have to ask… what colour is your convertible?! I’d love to have one but I’d have to move south where there is much less rain and yes despite the forecast, it is now raining… My brother has a black 1980s BMW convertible with red leather seats. We used to put the two Westies and a Scottie in the back and off we would go looking like an ad for Black and White whisky.
    @jaifaim Glad the MFP is working for you. I’m picturing you a 5am in your workout gear, leg warmers and sweatband! I can’t get my enrolment to go through on the Ap yet. Maybe they’re doing site maintenance, who knows.

Do people want to fill in the 🍎Jingle Jangle July🍏 spread sheet themselves or I’m happy to add your details. It’s in the Sheets folder on my IPhone.

Pocket List🍽️
    @merry🍎

Day 6, NFD, Aus

Huh. Thought I’d already posted today but can’t see it for quids.

[smug] I do know the two letter abbreviations for all 50 states, @funshipfreddie, courtesy of an after school job I had working in the mail room of an agency in Washington DC. I had to type address labels for envelops going all round the country!

Day 6 – Dorset – FD

Went to London yesterday and despite my best efforts to plan ahead and make a lunch to eat on the return journey, M&S called me and Colin the caterpillar sweets and large chocolate buttons were bought and eaten, as well as my healthy lunch!

@yo-yo Fletch: excellent idea on taking magnesium for RSL hope it works for you.

Pocket Day 6
    Dramaqueen 6

Day 6 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Did not post yesterday, I was getting ready to go to work when I got a sudden and horrendous ocular migraine, flashing lights, could barely see out of my left eye so I went straight to a dark bedroom and lay down. Told my boss I would be late, but once the flashing lights stopped the headache started so it was very debilitating all day. I dud not go to work or touch any electronic devices, and stayed in the dark all day 😔

I don’t suffer migraines, but I had an ocular one about 4 months ago in work, I had to get out of the office, but with the flashing lights I could not see properly and took an almighty trip and fell flat onto the pavement. Luckily just bruises and scrapes. But I was not prepared for that happening again yesterday, and I certainly was not going to drive.

Tentatively back to the office today and hope all well. Still a bit of head pressure, but not so bad. I have a GP appointment next week so wil tell her about this strange occurrence.

Keeping it keto again today and lots of water. I drank nearly 4 litres yesterday as I figured I could be dehydrated and thus the migraine? When I pinch the skin on the back of my hand it takes a bit to go back down…..old age or dehydration?

Sorry, all about me today, talk to you all tomorrow and have a great day.

Day 6 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@penz – I’m impressed! Our memories are fascinating things. I can easily remember the number plate for my first ever car from 40+ years ago, but ask me my current one & it would take me a few seconds to recall it 😵

@stitchincarol@songbirdme would’ve been right pre-1969 😅 I just saw this under about.usps – “Since that time (Oct 1963) only one change has been made: in 1969, at the request of the Canadian postal administration, the abbreviation for Nebraska, originally NB, was changed to NE, to avoid confusion with New Brunswick in Canada.”

@dramaqueen6 – I haven’t heard of the Colin the Caterpillar sweets, but I’m a big Percy Pig fan! 😋

@daffodil2010 – urgh?! I hope you shift that migraine soon! 🤗

Let’s make it a good one Thursday fasters – Friday morning PFDS for all 💪🎯

Pocket List – Day 6 🍽🥚
    @merry🍎
    @dramaqueen6
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie

Day 6 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Feeling like things are happening on the weight front… have been quite focused this week…

Sorry to hear about the headaches @daffodil2010 and hope you get to the bottom of it with your GP.
    I’m still trying to identify the cause of mine… I’m sure it’s diet but will report back when I have a definitive answer which I really hope to have soon. Eliminating and tests… 🙏
    @yo-up-fletch for RLS magnesium is great either topical or powder form – HRT can also help. There is a very good Facebook page for menopause in Ireland which is with checking out.

Now on the American states – like Penz I worked in a similar job which involved publications being sent around the world so used to know them all including all the French departments… but there you go… older and not wiser 😂

@merryapple yes that was me!! Headband and all LOL!!

Ok sorry running out of time before an appointment @. do hope July has started well for all!

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 6 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 219 lbs. Not liking that my post-FDs are still hugging the 220s, but plenty of time to head downwards. Having good stuff to eat for dinner on NFDs is going to be important, else I’m more prone to snacking or eating some things not really ideal to end the day. So, I’m going to make chicken tortilla soup, heavy on the chicken and black beans, to share.

As I woke up this morning, I thought of weight loss. Fasting is like a good house cleaning, getting rid of the junk and clutter. But the NFDs are like bringing things into the house. Is it stuff I need like groceries, or am I bringing in all kinds of things that are just cluttering up the place? In the past year, I’ve hoarded about 10 lbs worth of junk in my body. The only way to get better is to do a better job cleaning, but even better — to stop bringing all this junk into my place to start with!

@stitchincarol I thought it was miraculous… it only hit a guide wire to the powerpole in my mom’s yard. It was opposite the house, also missing the subdivision’s fence on the property line. Still a mess to clean up, but we’re waiting for the ground to dry up to drag them down to the area where we can burn some brush after summer.

USA. Day 6. FD

Yesterday’s WFD didn’t work out as I took my grandson to lunch. Today is another sweltering day, a good day for a FD. Who wants to eat In this heat anyway!!

Joining the pocket list,

Pocket List – Day 6 🍽🥚
    @merry🍎
    @dramaqueen6
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco

Stay cool to anyone in the hotter climes!! Have a great day! 🙂

Day 6 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD – 157.8

I ate with enough “reasonableness” yesterday that I’m down 1.6 lbs today…glad to have that gone and proved to be only water/bulk weight, and gathering all my RESOLVE to eat with the RESTRAINT necessary to be down even further tomorrow.

Tonight, we’re going to Jazz on the Green, something I’ve wanted to do for literally decades, but usually forgot about when summer Thursdays rolled around. DH is never a fan of commotion, so we’ll see how much fun he finds it, and if we go back again next week, the only other Thursday in July we’ll be around for it. https://o-pa.org/jazz-on-the-green

@merryapple Do you have an accidental third digit in your weight today?

@penz I laughed out loud to read that you know all the state abreviations! What had you here in the States? I’ve always assumed you’ve always lived in Australia…

@daffodil2010 No need for apologies for sharing your concerns! Your ocular/regular migraine sounds horrendous, and it was clearly necessary for you to stay home. I get ocular migraines every now and again, but they never turn into regular ones (they just eventually fade away), so I feel very sorry for you that you suffered through both! There are some amazing meds these days that help with migraines; do you have any? I always feel sad for my mom, who suffered greatly with migraines, that she never had the advantage of meds that actually help.

@funshipfreddie HAH! “…the abbreviation for Nebraska, originally NB, was changed to NE, to avoid confusion with New Brunswick in Canada.” I never knew that, but it explains so much; thanks!

@jaifaim Good for you for being so focused that your weight is headed down!

@northgeorgia Love your analogy of weight loss to housecleaning; thanks for that because it’s going to resonate with me today. And, yes, where that branch did and didn’t fall is indeed miraculous!!!

@ccco You’ve really turned into a fan WFDs, haven’t you? I love them also, but find them very difficult when I’m not headed out of the house and busy elsewhere.

I didn’t get to the gym yesterday because I was so busy with other things, so that’s were I’ll be going today. I’ve gone 7 times so far, and am feeling quite smug with myself for following through on it.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Pocket List – Day 6 🍽🥚
    @merry🍎
    @dramaqueen6
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol

Day 6 USA (Illinois) NFD

Our 4th of July trip to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, was just terrific! Parking there, however, was not. Because of DH’s new knee, I am still doing all the driving, so I dropped him off at our brunch location, then drove around for at least 20 minutes before finding a parking space. Everyone within 100 miles must have been like us deciding to have an excursion there!

@funshipfreddie – thank you for the validation about NB. I am sure I learned the state 2 letter designations well before 1969! But guess somewhere along the line, I had vaguely heard it changed to NE. The letters M & N have the most US states. I realized that when teaching the 5th grade song “Fifty Nifty”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajdd2-bqToA

Then there is another one to “Turkey in the Straw” tune I also used. My 5th grade music curriculum was lots of American songs to go with their social studies.

Back to laundry (Thursday) and trash — oh, and purging for our move!

Onward and downward.

Day 7, NFD, Aus

Week recap – no FDs. But, at least I’m here which is partially keeping me accountable.

Great analogy, @northgeorgia. I need to do a big spring clean!

Hi @stitchincarol. I finished high school in the States, thanks to an overseas job my parents had. I’ve lived in Malaysia for two years, and was back in the States (Florida) in 2017-18. So not all my life Down Under!

Day 7 / 24 days to go NFD NZ

Thank you @stitchincarol! I would be a large blimp at 173 kg!
    Should have been 87.3kg. I didn’t weigh myself this am as I made breakfast for my guest and waved her g’bye.
    Jazz on the green sounds just lovely. Our version would be Jazz with Gumboots here in Auckland.
    @daffodil2010 Thinking of you and sending +ve vibes your way.
    @northgeorgia Good on you! That’s a great and very different metaphor for weight loss. I might apply it to both me and my house at the same time and by the end of the year I’ll have hopefully jettisoned a lot of baggage!
    Have a good Friday everyone!

Kia Kaha!

Day 7 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅
    156.5lbs

Hi all, first week of July done and dusted and although I said I felt things might be happening on the weight front yesterday, I thought it might have been wishful thinking but lovely to see 156.5 on the scales this morning. … wasn’t feeling too well again yesterday so this is a lovely surprise to end the week on. ⬇️

@coco lunch with your grandson sounds fab definitely and more fun than a WFD. I hope you had a lovely time!
    @stitchincarol isn’t that great that you finally got to jazz on the green. It’s funny how the evenings just slip away if you don’t plan them.
    Hope you are feeling better again @daffodil2010🤕

You are here @penz and that’s key. Have a great weekend everyone 🤩

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 7 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Woke feeling amazing this morning, but about an hour ago another bout of ocular flashing but this time in the right eye. I said “oh no, not again”, but it only lasted a few mins and completely gone now. I have taken some painkillers in anticipation of any headache but so far so good so will head to work.

@stitchincarol I’m going to talk to my GP about this, hoping it’s not going to become a “thing”,

@jaifaim, hmmm, wonder if it is food causing mine too, so sudden and unpredictable and as I have never suffered before….is it another symptom of being a WOCA 😆

Thanks all for your kind words. Hope you all have a great weekend and stay safe X

Day 7 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Ending the first week of JJJ🔔 exactly as I started it, at 69.5 kg 🎯

@merryapple – not many of us are using the spreadsheet; looks like 5 at the moment. I prefer to fill it in myself, a few days at a time so I don’t need to plan too far ahead.

@songbirdme – Fifty Nifty United States 😅 I listened to the whole song. I guess all these songs/poems may have to be re-written if Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state later this year? 🇺🇸

@daffodil2010 – good to hear you’re feeling better. Fingers🤞you’ve seen the last of those headaches.

Yet another article/study telling us what’s good & bad for us: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12270753/Not-eating-six-foods-lead-heart-disease-early-grave-including-red-meat.html#comments

Happy Fri-yay everyone! 🍹

Day 7 – USA/GA – ZBC

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. Just a slight gain over yesterday… much better. The whole family enjoyed the soup, and as I only had a few nibbles at a drop-in faculty meeting right before lunch, I skipped lunch yesterday. If I have something healthy and delicious at home to look forward to, I might be able to skip fast food lunches more frequently at work 🙂

Day 7 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 157.2

IT’S RAINING!!! In a region of the US that is entirely dependent on farming, droughts are a big deal and rain is an even bigger deal. It started raining about an hour ago–talk about a lovely lullaby while I’m sleeping and slowly waking up!–and is supposed to keep raining for another couple of hours. So far our gauge shows half an inch, but I am thinking our gauge is in a bad place and we’ve gotten more. Regardless, it’s extremely welcome.😍

Jazz on the Green was wonderful last night. We laid out a blanket, and our two lawn chairs, and enjoyed the endless parade of people. Then the music started and it was a delight! I ate more than I’d intended because I forgot to plan it out ahead of time, but I’m down a bit more this morning, so I’m calling it a success, if only a mild success.

@songbirdme Bummer on the parking challenge; it can be a challenge to keep your good cheer when you’re hunting and hunting and hunting! I loved hearing about your 5th grade curriculum and “Fifty Nifty” was delightful; I find that many of the traditional songs in the piano method I use are completely unknown to the kids, unlike when I started teaching out of these books 40 years ago. Makes me sad that so many traditional songs are being ignored by current teachers.

@penz Wow, you’ve had an international life. And you’re right, that checking in is a good start to being accountable and finally getting a solid seat on the wagon.

@merryapple And do you go to Jazz with Gumboots?

@jaifaim What a thrill that weight was on the scale this morning, I’m sure. Well done!

@daffodil2010 So glad this morning’s incident was so short-lived.

@funshipfreddie Are you enjoying line dancing yet, and feeling a bit more accomplished? The article was fascinating, but I think I found a contradition. In one spot it said: “This could include one slice of bread, half a cup of cooked rice, barley or quinoa and approximately three ounces (85g) of cooked red meat or poultry.” Then, further down under the color picture of what a daily diet would look like, it said “• 30 grams of fibre a day: This is the same as eating all of the following: 5 portions of fruit and vegetables, 2 whole-wheat cereal biscuits, 2 thick slices of wholemeal bread and large baked potato with the skin on” Hmmm…one slice of bread or two thick slices? I think the total calories of what they list as appropriate for each day adds up to far more than my TDEE. Oh well, the article was still interesting; thanks for sharing.

@northgeorgia Nice accomplishment with yesterday’s food choices.

My sister and her husband arrive next Monday from California, spend the night with us, and then drive up to South Dakota to Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, and Deadwood. They’ll get back that Saturday (a week from tomorrow) and then spend a couple days with us before heading home. Will be delightful to have them here, and I’m headed to the basement to tidy up and make lovely the two rooms leading into the guestroom down there.

Day 8/ 23 to go NFD NZ 86.7kg

Yet another lousy super wet weekend forecast…
    @stitchincarol The Gumboots were in reference to the soggy ground we can’t sit on. We used to go the the University Jazz Sessions regularly but COVID cut that back… DH went to all the jazz clubs in NY through the 60s and 70s to listen to people like Bill Evans, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker. He was quite friendly with Charles Mingus and told me how badly he was treated by the city housing authority.
    @funshipfreddie I saw the picture of the cheese, yog etc and thought “Here we go again. These are all my favourite foods and they’re going to tell me how bad they are.” And they’re not! We’re back to eating simple fresh food and a little bit of everything plus adding a few more nuts and legumes. I’m happy!
    @Northeorgia You got this! Good plan!
    @songbirdme I can remember learning Turkey in the Straw, Michael Row the Boat and Go and Tell Aunt Rhoda at skool in Boston but not the Fifty States.
    @jaifaim Well done! And 2lb or 1 kg to go and you’re in the 60s for kegs! So how are those slinky trousers fitting?!
    @ DramaQueen6 It sounds so wonderful to be able to get on a train to London!
    @penz Great you’re checking in. That’s all it takes and then in a moment in time the mojo will descend upon you and next minute there’s less of you! And the same to @excelsior12309, @yo-yo Fletch and @ccco.
    @lilymartin, @malee57, @at and @dingping I know you’re out there too!

Kia Kaha!

Day 7 – USA – FD
    Hello, all! I’m back after having reached my goal weight in 2020. Gained almost 9 lbs. since then due to a change of activity/job. I’ve gotten that “secretary spread” from sitting most of the day typing. Still recognize many of you and glad to “see” you! Would have started posting a week ago, but had trouble getting back under my name metatauta, so I made up a new profile, but was not able to recoup the info I had under my old name. Good old J.J. made things right for me, and here I am. My latest activity restarted after 11 years is lap swimming, and thanks to YouTube videos, I’m re-learning a lot about proper form. I also managed to do 5 days of IF in increments: 17, 18, 20, 21, and 21.5. It gets easier as I go, but I was terrified that I would not be able to start, due to going back to eating breakfast. I’m still LcHF, and will continue to eat that way probably forever, but my weakness is a good lager, or three. Here’s hoping I can make my goal come true and get fitter with the help and cheering on of all of you, as well as be an encouragement.

Day 9 – Ireland – CD – 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Well hello @metatauta!!! Welcome back! I hope all is well with you. 💕 it’s great up have you back and that you were able to hold onto your moniker. 🎉
    Your swimming sounds great! Well done to you!!

@stitchincarol I’m so glad that the rains have come! You can have ours too! I woke up early to do a big cycle today but the winds are too strong and the event is not going ahead…

@merryapple you are having rain too… I hope the weekend gets brighter. All the chat about jazz is bringing back fun memories of Paris in the 90s when I lived in a big loft with a bunch of jazz musicians and we spent all our time in the jazz clubs in town. Caveau de la Huchette and Le Duc des Lombards were our favourite haunts 🥂🎶. I saw some of them recently when I got back to France. It’s still a great city for Jazz although some of the smaller jazz bars are closed now.

@daffodil2010 there is no doubt that being a WOCA is a problem 🤪 as there are so many symptoms attributed to menopause – over 70 I believe but intolerances are a problem for many people of a certain age even the poor men 💕…and then if you have other pre existing conditions the waters are further muddied. 🥲 It is so bothersome to have to try work out what is causing each symptom and it truly is a case of eliminating and then tweaking meds/supplements/hrt etc as they can cause issues too… many doctors don’t have the time to spend with patients to work it all out and allergy/intolerance testing is not always reliable.
    The foods to cut first tend to be the foods we all want to eat /drink : alcohol, sugar, bread – it seems unfair at times to be honest but there you go. This is why I’ve been trying to adopt my no alcohol and no added sugar WOL for a few years but it’s tough tough tough… holidays knock me back every time and I’m a bit of a traveller 🛳️ ✈️ so that’s a problem I need to fix.

Bravo for maintaining @funshipfreddie 💪

I’m going to walk the beach in this crazy wind and will see who else is up for a sandy exfoliation. 🤣

Be well all.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 8 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@metatauta – welcome back! I remember you had a crazy few months last year with your sudden move & a new job around the same time. I’m sure you’ll despatch those unwanted 9 lbs in no time.

@merryapple, @stitchincarol – crazy weather here too. Yesterday morning around this time I was indoors, rubbing my hands together to get them warm. A couple of hours later I was sitting on the verandah of my local coffee shop in a T-shirt & 26° C heat. It’s cooler today, & we’re getting rain tomorrow & a max of 13° 🥶️

@stitchincarol – line-dancing?! I’m persevering 😅 But I really did feel like I was making progress the other day. You just can’t help smiling when you’re doing it, especially when you know you’re getting it right. And it’s a great way to meet my new neighbours. The article yesterday – I’ve noticed they always do that?! They print the article/study & then below it they print the NHS/Eatwell Guide, which usually contradicts what you’ve just read – starting with the ‘What Should a Balanced Diet Look Like’ & the pie chart. Maybe they have to do that? But yesterdays article did finish with, “‘It is time for national nutrition guidelines, private sector innovations, government tax policy and agricultural incentives, food procurement policies, labelling and other regulatory priorities, and food-based healthcare interventions to catch up to the science. Millions of lives depend on it.”

@jaifaim – I think I’ll be joining you for the sandy exfoliation. They don’t call Port Elizabeth the windy city for nothing 🌬 Re the ‘cutting out alcohol’ though – it’s not that tough if you get your head in the right place. Thinking of alcohol as ‘a food you can’t/shouldn’t have’ isn’t the best approach. Because it’s not a food, for a start. It’s a highly addictive, psychoactive substance & a causal factor in over 200 diseases. But it is an almost daily battle to stay off it, because it’s ubiquitous. During my local TV news broadcast (30 minutes) last night there were 3 advertisements for booze! Cheers 🍻

Have a good weekend everyone 🌤🌈

Day 8 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 221 lbs. Gained a pound overall this week, but finished strong, being 2 lbs. down over last Saturday. I think I’m on a good path for July. Probably do a FD tomorrow.

Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500 – 159.0

It’s that weight that prompted an unplanned FD. I already have dinner planned for tonight and should be fine with the pork tenderloin and steamed broccoli, so I’ll be careful to arrange my day to take me out of the house from noon to four then get dinner on the table early.

I’ve realized that the reason I’m struggling so with losing weight is that I’m feeling as if I’m dieting every single day. “Reasonable” on 5 days? Well, the definition of reasonable has changed for me in the last 20 years and what I’ve always thought was reasonable is no longer reasonable. I mean, honestly, I did NOT eat that much yesterday–but it was clearly more than 1500 calories, and that’s about all I burn on most days. It used to be that 1500 is what I could reduce my calories to and lose weight, and now it’s the most I can eat not to gain weight–that’s a VERY hard truth to swallow. This business of burning fewer calories as we get older is zero fun!

@merryapple Ahh, I thought it was a strange name, but I didn’t know what Gumboots were. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Yes, it’s a shocking truth how ugly racism was for so long, and still is in some places/circumstances. Your DH heard some great jazz in those days, however!

@metatauta Welcome back!

@jaifaim Wow, your time in Paris sounds great fun! Bummer on your bad weather for a bike ride today. Our rain is gone for now, but the high will only be 77/17, so still wonderfully pleasant…but sure too wet to try to do any weeding. And a “sandy exfoliation”??? 😂😂😂

@funshipfreddie I’m delighted for you that you’re persevering and even starting to like line dancing!

@northgeorgia Good for you for the sign of improvement–we each take what we can get, huh?

DS26 borrowed DH’s little pickup last Sunday to use to get bulk mulch and to get rid of the chainlink fence he’s been taking down that was filled with volunteer trees that the former owners didn’t deal with…he got tired of a “cut-off-trees-fence,” LOL, because the chainlink was barely visible. Anyway, he’ll be here in an hour to return the truck and take his car, and I have things to do before he gets here–it’s suddenly changed from a peaceful Saturday morning to a busy one, LOL!

Day 9 / 22 to go NFD NZ

@jaifaim I went to a couple of jazz clubs in Paris as a tourist. I was a regular at the local jazz and blues clubs when I lived in the Bay Area, Oakland to be precise. I loved the rough and raw clubs where musicians played in small rooms and everyone danced. Berkeley and SF’s slick downtown clubs were fun too. We dressed up and drank cocktails but they didn’t quite have the same heart.
    Welcome @metatauta! It’s great that you’re back to reverse the uphill trend! It’s a reminder to all of us that we’re never completely off the hook, that we can regroup and return to the fold anytime and that this is a WOL.
    I tell you @stitchincarol my jaw dropped when you said you didn’t know what gumboots were! The only other name I know is Wellies/Wellington boots. What do you call rubber ankle/knee boots?!
    @funshipfreddie There’s also an old saying “There’s no such thing as a skinny alcoholic”.
    I’m off for a doggy walk at the beach. Image what it’s like in the wind at the beach when you have short legs…😑😑
    Have a good Sunday everyone!

Kia Kaha!

Day 9 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

It’s freezing in P.E.!🥶️ When I woke up around 8 am it was 10 degrees (feels like 6, according to my phone) I feel like I was teletransported to Antarctica during the night. It’s pouring with rain & windy too now, so I’m going nowhere⛄️ I’ll try to clock up some steps by practising the Black Coffee line-dance 🕺

@merryapple – ‘no such thing as a skinny alcoholic’ 😅 There might be something to that. I dropped 5 kgs when I quit drinking without even trying. I did nothing different, other than cutting out the wine. As soon as we drink alcohol, the body prioritises getting rid of it above everything else, including digesting food properly. So we rob ourselves of nutrients in addition to poisoning ourselves ☠️

So far so good this weekend. MFP is keeping me on track, so I’m expecting a good result tomorrow morning 🎯

@northgeorgia – putting you on the list just in case…

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 9 🍄
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 9 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. And I imported some bad things into my body yesterday — chocolate milk that “needed drinking” and that sort of thing, oh and doughnut holes lying around mmm…snack snack snack mmmrphghffggl…

Yes, today will definitely be a FD. Too bad, as my mom has a pork roast in the slow cooker. That should help satisfy my cravings through tomorrow’s NFD. I’m trying something new that worked last week — have something delicious waiting at home and plan to skip a meal in anticipation for it. Yeah, I know I said I’d rather skip dinner than lunch, but hey…gonna mix it up a bit and see. That should hold me to Tuesday’s FD, then Wednesday — we’ll see. Thursday is a leadership course meeting I’m enrolled in, and I see that breakfast and lunch is provided, so… I’ve got my plan for the week.

Although upset at my weight gain in the past year or so, I looked back to some old charts for inspiration. In 16 months (from my low on 5:2), I’ve gained about 15 lbs. When I go back to 2017, in a 16-month span, I gained 25 lbs. That does help me feel better. But of course, I want to lose those 15 lbs and then some… so, although yesterday was a bit of a setback, I’m determined to move downward. I did trend lower on the weekend over last holiday weekend, although ended up the same weight today as last Sunday. So, time to get serious and out of the 220s and 210s…

Pocket List – Day 9 🍄
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

USA. Day 9. FD

Pocket List – Day 9 🍄
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

Hope everyone has been having a lovely (albeit hot) weekend. Thank God for air conditioners and swimming pools!!!

Day 9 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Hi all, just a quick check in…
    Busy weekend in the end and lots of nice catch ups.
    Hope you all had a lovely one!

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 10, FD, Aus

Checking in and still looking for my mojo.

Nice to see you back @metatauta!

Day 10/ 21 to go NZ FD 86.8kg

I caught up with some old school friends for lunch had a lamb roast for dinner last night at a friends house, a perfect meal before a FD! I made good food choices although I really wanted to eat a whole lot more😬. Eating in the company of others does help to reel you in…
    It’s raining with bleak sunshine in between showers for something completely different…
    @northgeorgia 15 and 25lbs doesn’t sound that much in the scheme of things. If you change lbs to kg it’s 7 and 11kgs! So it’s doable!
    Good to see people checking in no matter how brief!

Pocket List🌈
    Merry🍎

Day 9 – USA – NFD

Hi, all. Spent 4 days in varying IF lengths. No weight lost yet, but feeling a lot better. Pants are not screaming, lol!

Will try to get a swim in this week, as well as IF again for a few days.

Thanks for all the well-wishes!

Day 10- Ireland – FD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Hello another quick check in as I get ready for the day ahead..

@merryapple you ate well yesterday ahead of your FD and I think I must pay more attention to the pre-FDs as have woken up hungry which is never a good thing on a FD.

Hope you are all well and had a good weekend and catch up tomorrow.

Well done to our weekend fasters as always!! 🤩

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List Day 10
    @jaifaim

Day 10 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD keto

Busy weekend but got a lot of essential work done on the camper van that could only be done if no rain forecast, and miraculously, that’s how Saturday turned out.

I start this week back in the high decade but only 0.4 of a pound in there, so today’s FD will, hopefully, Hoosh me back I to the lower decade. And on we go for the week. It’s an FD today, I will break it as usual at lunchtime.

Great to see you back @metatauta ☺️, in a good way of course.

Ha ha @funshipfreddie, oh you are far from Manchester now with feeling frozen at 13C 😀

@jaifaim and @ merryapple, love reading about your jazz club times.

Have a good day fasters, together we are stronger.

Pocket list Day 10
    @jaifaim
    @daffodil2010
    @merryapple
    @penz

Day 10 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD – 69.5

Well that was not the easiest FD 😳 The grim weather made me want to just curl up in a ball & munch on buttered toast all day. Just as well I don’t buy bread. Or own a toaster 😅 The rain was biblical; but it’s over & it’s now moved up to Durban. It was nice to see a Sunday pocket list – we did it! 💪

@daffodil2010 – I know?! How did I survive? I’m definitely going to buy a heater this week 🥶️

@penz – sending you & all the Monday fasters all the mojo you need to get through your FD ✉️ 🎯

I’ve got no desire to look like Liz Hurley 😂 but I thought some people might find this inspirational:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12280361/How-look-good-Liz-Hurley-60.html

Day 10-No. VA, USA-FD
    Checking in today, which must be a fast day. Last week was generally non-compliant with fasting, though not disastrous. As @penz suggests, looking for mojo!

Day 10 – USA/GA – ZBC

Weigh-in: 220 lbs. Planning to do an OMAD supper tonight for my NFD, then another FD tomorrow. Yesterday’s FD went well — until a cucumber fell from the refrigerator and broke in two! So, I did have that last night; I guess that changed it from a WFD to a FD30 or something LOL

Really tempted to bring a lunch to work, but that would make me feel obligated. But if I don’t bring a lunch, then I may eat a fast-food meal. So, unless invited out, I will resolve to just skip it all until I get home tonight and eat some of that nice roast with a salad. Focus on the really good meals and skip the junk if I can…

Day 11/20 to go NFD NZ 87kg

I was up late watching Wimbledon… Andreeva vs Keys but missed the last half of their last set.
    @funshipfreddie You’ll be able to make toast on your toasty heater now! Ms Hurley has had a face lift, teeth capped and her top lip is full of filler. Why????? She has always been however blessed with a body that doesn’t need to be clothed…
    @excelsior12309 and @penz Look no further for your mojo, turn your gaze inward and have faith!
    @daffodil2010 Congratulations on loosing a decade
    @northgeorgia Sending you RESOLVE

Kia Kaha (Stay Strong!)

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 288 total)

You must be logged in to reply.