Is this normal? Not hungry!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nut_cracker 7 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• I have been doing this for a couple of weeks now. I have also increased my exercise as well. So as well as the weight loss I am measuring. Weight loss has been slow, but I think this is due to my training regime which does include weights. Two weeks, 2 lbs and a total of 5 inches.

My fasting days are this: last meal 6-7pm, sleep, get up, I have 250 cals for breakfast, I find if I don’t have this I can’t do my job which is quite active. So then for the rest of the day I drink tea and water to stop the hunger, then at 7 pm I have a homemade soup which is 250 cals give or take. So I am now up to my 24 hrs and eaten my cals. I then go to bed. Get up the next day and normal day.

Finally to my question…… Am I meant to feel hungry during my fast days, because I am not! Is this normal?

This then has an effect on my normal days, because I cannot seem to get my calories in. Some days, I am looking for high calorific things to eat to get to 2k. To me this seems wrong, especially when I am trying to lose weight. I can live with the 1lb weight loss, this is just a number and isn’t really reflecting my body changing due to exercise, but I struggle to find good high cal things to eat.

Again. Is this normal?

Hi, Jmbelson – To my mind, not feeling hungry when fasting is unusual but not a problem. That was a friend of mine’s everyday experience but, interestingly, since starting to use the 5:2 approach, she is now becoming aware of the bodily sensations involved in hunger and quite likes this novel experience. This might gradually happen to you too.
    Are you sure that 2000 cals IS your appropriate non-fast day intake? Depending on your height, age, activity levels, etc., you might require less. Use the site’s calorie counter to get a personalised TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) figure for non-fast days. (Click on the ‘calorie calculator’ link to the right of the page, just below the book adverts and under the red heading ‘helpful site links’.)

There is no ‘normal’, just individual. Enjoy your uniqueness. All best wishes.

PS – The ‘how to use the forums and find answers to your questions’ is another great resource there too.

I am not hungry on my non fast days. It’s been interesting and I wonder if it’s normal. I find that when I do eat on my non fast days, I am eating foods that I have denied myself for the past few years. Now I have to learn how to manage giving myself permission to eat anything on my non fast days. Eating foods is a guilty pleasure for me. I have been doing the 5/2 for two weeks, so a neophyte on the plan. I normally eat 1100 to 1200 calories on my non-fast days, since I am a petite 4’9″, over 65 female. We shall see how this progresses and looking forward to taking my measurements this week.

I am a 2-week-newbie. I do not feel particularly hungry on fast days. On eating days, I get really hungry between meals but do not snack to compensate. Is this normal? Why does it happen? BTW my weight and waist are reducing very satisfactorily for the first time in living memory!!

Hi:

Most people do not understand that their fat is carried food available for use if other food is not supplied to the body. So if you do not eat food, the body has a generous supply waiting to keep itself going. The longest medically supervised and documented water fast (the person did not eat or drink any calories) lasted for over 54 weeks. What 5:2 teaches is that you can miss a meal or two and not die.

You might get hungry for a minute or two, but it goes away. The way to get hungry and feel you absolutely have to eat something or die is to eat carbs, especially processed carbs like sugar, flour, pasta, etc. That is why so many are fat – carbs make you hungry so you overeat and get fat.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

On my FDs I don’t eat. Normally I find hunger is mild and limited. The one exception is typically a period of about 90 minutes about 20 hours into a fast. It isn’t so much hunger as feeling a little off. After that I’m fine.

When I’ve done 2 days in a row I find there is more hunger on the second day, however it isn’t horrible driving hunger. However the last time I did fast through a second day there wasn’t much hunger. At some point people that fast multiple days report feeling no hunger, typically more towards the forth day of fasting.

On NFDs I find I’m not hungry until I start eating, then it can be difficult to get to the spot where I feel good, full but not over full without hunger. Different people respond differently.

To Simcoeluv and Dykask. Thanks for your posts. You have answered my questions very succinctly. Now on with the plan!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.