Is fat ok?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  SAMM 10 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Is fat ok?

A review article in the Journal of the American Medical Association which was published on the 2nd January caused a lot of excitement in the press/

The excitement came because the scientists involved claimed to have found evidence, based on 97 studies involving nearly 2.9 million people, that people with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of between 25 and 30 (which officially makes them overweight) are 6% less likely to die than people considered to have a healthy BMI ie 18.5 to 25.

So is “Being overweight OK”, as some headlines claimed? I’m not convinced, and nor were most obesity experts. The criticisms were vigorous and in some cases vitriolic

Professor John Wass, vice-president of the Royal College of Physicians, said: “Have you ever seen a 100-year-old human being who is overweight? The answer is you probably haven’t”, while Dr Walter Willett, from the Harvard School of Public Health said: “This is an even greater pile of rubbish” than a study conducted by the same group in 2005.

The main criticisms were:

1. Confounding factors. The people regarded as “normal weight” may have previously been overweight, then lost weight through ill health
    2. Mortality is not everything (though it is, of course, pretty important). What this study didn’t reveal was whether the overweight lived that extra 6% longer in good health or in hospital with drips in them. Living longer is not the same as living better. We know obesity is a strong predictor of diabetes and diabetes can lead to serious and unpleasant health problems
    3. BMI is probably not the best measure that can be used to measure obesity. A tape measure may be a better predictor of future health. Gut fat is extremely unhealthy, but it is not clear that fat on your bottom or thighs is quite as bad. It is all about distribution, not quantity.

I certainly am not going to allow the pounds to creep back up in the hope this will allow me to live 6% longer. I like being slimmer, feel much better on it and all the tests I’ve done to date suggest that I have extended my healthy life, not shortened it.

Whilst I agree with most of the criticisms, at the same time, i’m currently clinically obese (BMI of 31) and yet I had fasting cholesterol & glucose tested and both were normal in fact my GP said my cholesterol levels were excellent and that he didn’t see those kinds of levels in the West Coast of Scotland. That being said we are one of the most unhealthy places in Scotland if not the UK. Those levels were after gorging myself on two big galaxy chocolate bars a day for like 2 months perhaps longer.

So whilst I think the experts may be right, I’m not quite as willing to dismiss the study as others because either I’m modifying my body enough through exercise to not get the downsides or something else is at play that the obesity experts don’t know about.

I’m fat. I eat a lot of very health foods (including veggies, whole grains, beans) and a lot of pastries and chocolate. My cholesterol, blood pressure and glucose are all in the normal ranges. My doctor says that “someday” that will change, but I’m 46 and it hasn’t yet.

I am also a lot healthier than my skinny younger sister who has been hospitalized a number of times for all sorts of things (including bulimia).

Obviously, I’d like to change my weight and I wouldn’t mind living longer – otherwise I wouldn’t be here. But I think some scientists are discovering there are indeed some healthy fat people.

My BMI used to be around 30 and I was 2 stone overweight. However, I was very fit, healthy and active so used to ignore it. All blood tests and medicals came back with good results, so my extra weight was never a huge concern. I also eat very healthy meals, but snacked and drank too many “naughty” treats inbetween (alchohol, chocolate, cakes, pork pies and sausage rolls to name some of my favourites).
    However, at 45 I sarted to think that surely things would all catch up with me eventually? My asthma started to get worse, my excema erupted and joint and knee pain started to worry me. I kept pushing these concerns to the back of my mind and vowing to start another diet. Then I watched Horizon!
    The following week I started my own 5:2 plan. I lost 25lbs and have seen huge improvemnts. I thought I was pretty fit and healthy back then, but now I feel amazing!

Saggy Skin
    I’m new to all this and have just started reading the book and it all seems very encouraging. However, I wanted to know opinions on loose skin, what? I hear you say! I am 65 year old reasonably fit male and have been overweight for 25 years. Some years ago I went on a slimming diet losing about 1 or 2 lbs a week. After about 4/5 months I got to what is supposed to be my ideal weight. But, guess what? Some of you have! Everyone, including my own family said my skin was horribly saggy and I looked 10/15 years older. After some months, I realised my skin was not going to tighten and gave in my new eating regime. Everyone now is telling me not to do it again! What is the answer? Apart from expensive, risky cosmetic surgery? If that is the answer, who do I go to for good advice. Better though, is there some other way?
    Thanks

Hi Guzzibob, it used to be that if the amount of excess skin was enough to cause you actual emotional problems a sympathetic doctor could recommend you for surgery. I know someone this happened to. Don’t let saggy skin get between you and a healthy lifestyle. If it does, build your case with your surgery. You will inevitably save the NHS funds used to help you for potential obesity related illnesses otherwise.

They say that to have the loose skin cut off by NHS you have got to get to BMI of under 27 and maintain that for 12 months or similar – also you would need to see the psychiatrist etc…

Great result, Dawn Hopley.

Guzzibob, it’s a pity if your family were so unsupportive of your weight loss success as to say your skin was horribly saggy and you looked 10/15 years older than your 65 years.  Perhaps they’ve got their priorities wrong. Do you really want plastic surgery? Do they really want you to be 25 lb heavier again?

I understand that weight loss can lead to loose skin.  My wife has lost an extreme amount of weight, almost 9 stone since last year after a gastric bypass.  Skin reduction plastic surgery for her would be expensive, complex and not without risk. We have investigated it. It is unlikely to be available on the NHS, just as the byass was unavailable on the NHS in our area. I am delighted that my wife has made such a positive change in her health, and so is she, whether she has loose skin or not.

I hope that you can hit your best weight, at which you are healthiest and happiest, and that your family will support your efforts.

@guzzibob – hi 🙂 when i read about loose skin I remembered that first episode of Survivor and that fella who at the end of the series had lost so much weight while he was there that he had loose skin. He could pick up his tummy and flap it at ya! So i’ve just googled it and it seems to a ‘normal’ phenomenom that relates to a particularly hard to shift subcatanenous fat. So going through the saggy skin syndrome may just be part of the path of returning to the lean and mean you. Kia kaha guzzibob.

I have a BMI of 29.5 and a body fat percentage of 11% after over a year on 5:2 and exercise; Am I fat or not?

Is your waist measurement less than half your height?

Adouglasmhor
    I would presume that you know the answer. To have that bmi & 11% body fat you would have a good amount of muscle. Bmi is but one guide and not appropriate for everyone.

I don’t think excess weight is healthy at all. Sure have some great genetics and will never get heart disease, cancer, etc. no matter what they weigh.

I’m convinced that for the rest of us, it’s just dangerous. I had normal cholesterol and blood pressure until I became fat. I am confident that losing weight will bring my numbers down to normal again.

My brother-in-law has just suffered a horrendous tear in his aortic valve and has been told by many medical staff that his survival has been due to his tall, rangy build without a scrap of fat on him. At 70 he has been prescribed no medication for cholesterol or blood pressure. But his wife who does absolutely everything that he does as regards eating and exercising is overweight, on medication and has several health issues.

I’m only guessing , but it doesn’t seem to mention anything about how active the people were in the studies. I read once that being at a 12% body fat has a risk if in coma there isn’t enough fat waist on for long. As many times when we are Ill our metabolisms may increase.
    My understanding is that 50:25:25 carb:fat:protein may be ideal under the guise of being an athlete, however for a person who walks all day at work with a high N.E.A.T may also be ok. However for a sedentary person this would only be positive if they observe calorie restriction.

Any more than than that would be pure fiction on my part.

The only thing I can add is the diet of some of the north alaskans that are not indigenous to that region.
    Not focussed on their health as a documentary. It was mentioned about a man that spend almost every waking hour hunting and their land isn’t arable for growing. So he also can make afford 4 air drops a year for supplies. He had been there after a run in with the law. So he migrated and has been hunting his food for. 30 years
    They subsist on meat from game. They tested him an was in better health than most his age. It didn’t say his age. The man said his health is due to how hard he works. I’m guessing his intake was 20:40:40 the man pulled up shirt and appeared to have a approx fat content below 15% – not fat. No info at what age he or his wife died. What I got from it is they were not sedentary while eating less carbs and more fat, but also were most likely under TDEE consistently.

Sorry to hear of your brothers condition wish you and your family well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.