Is 25% of TDEE gospel?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I have been doing the 5:2 religiously since January 5th and have already lost around 4kg! The regime is challenging but very do-able and the sense of satisfaction at the end of each fast day (including now as I write!) is very motivating.

I just wondered whether once ideal weight is reached, is 25% of TDEE (600cals in my case) absolutely necessary in order to reap the health benefits of the regime? Would 33% or 50% cancel out the health benefits? Any insights would be very interesting!

When Michael Mosley originally started his research/experiment with fasting it was for the possible health benefits, it wasn’t aimed at weight loss.
    It would be worth your while reading the book as there is a lot of useful information on what happens to the body during periods of fasting.

The ‘health benefits’ he was looking at in the documentary were coming from the effects of fasting to his IGF-1 levels.

You should have an effect to your IGF-1 levels after about 14 hours of absolute fasting (no calories taken in AT ALL during that period). So you don’t necessarily need to continue with 5:2 in maintenance (unless you want to). Lots of people are experimenting with lots of different maintenance options but my understanding is that you should keep the health benefits you’ve gained through 5:2 as long as you have 1-2 periods of ‘true fasting’ of 14 hours or more each week.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.