IF and the Keto Diet complement each other

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Diet Sherpa 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• I’ve been practising the ketogenic diet for 11 months before starting IF. I have found IF very easy, which I believe is because my body is keto-adapted and so used to burning fat as its main energy source. Once you’re in fat-burning mode (ketosis), the cravings and urgency to eat subside (gaining control over my relationship with food has been one of the best benefits of the keto diet).

I thought I’d share this for those who find IF difficult. Starting with the keto-diet for 2-4 weeks (that’s how long it takes to fully keto-adapt) may be an easier option to get into IF. (A good introductory book to the keto diet is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living)

As an aside, I’ve seen huge benefits from the keto diet – lost 25 lb, blood pressure down from 125/83 to 110/70, and blood cholesterol/triglycerides/LDL significantly improved. Also, better energy, concentration, and ability to do endurance sports plus my regular heartburn vanished.

Personally, I don’t think keto diet replaces IF but rather complements it. Part of the benefits of IF are possibly due to getting into ketosis, but others are probably a consequence of calory (and possibly protein) restriction. A keto diet allows you to maintain the benefits of ketosis during the non-fasting days. I’m not so convinced that there are no repercussions from what you eat on feed days. There’s lots of good science about the harms of sugars. Also, the evolutionary biology angle is compelling – e.g. paleo philosophy – namely that our bodies are not evolved to eat grains/sugar/high carbs/dairy on a regular basis. Finally, Prof. Thomas N.Seyfied (Boston Colledge) makes a compelling argument why ketosis can prevent cancer.

I’ve found the keto diet easy. I don’t miss any foods and probably enjoy eating more than before.

Hi Royski, thanks for sharing your insights on both diets. Personally, I’m not a big fan of any type of generic diets as non of them provides long lasting results or some exclude a group of foods which eventually has negative effects in your body.
    I strongly recommend choosing a personalized diet, something that truly fits your metabolism, takes into consideration your risk factors and else.
    There are a lot of them that you can find online, I strongly recommend Dr Kuzmar’s nutrition plans which you can find in the Diet Sherpas web page.
    Hope this information can help you improve your quest in this journey.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.