IF and Osteoarthritis

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mrsfletch 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck with 5:2 and osteoarthritis. My right hip was bothering me so much so that it was even painful when I was lying down. I decided to do 5:2 with two complete days of fasting. I had no food intake, just black tea with almond or cashew milk, sparkling mineral water with unsweetened cranberry juice and plain tap water. At the end of the first day, the pain was lessened. At the end of the second day, it was completely gone. I began eating 16:8 on non-fasting days and have not had a recurrence of the symptoms. I’ve been looking for info on IF and osteoarthritis and have only found info on rheumatoid arthritis.

I have severe osteoarthritis in both my hips and usually first thing in the morning I’m in a lot of pain. But now that you mention it, I’ve only just restarted 5:2 and the pain is only mild! Maybe there’s something in this. Will keep track. Thank you for pointing this out, very interesting point.

Hi Caterinacate. I’ve also been supplementing with Avosoy, which is available at the Vitamin Shoppe and that may be helping as well. I have used Osteobiflex with Joint Shield which helped with my knees a few years ago. It contains 5-Loxin, which is a concentrated form of Boswellia Serrata – potent anti-inflammatory.

Hi @fastlife. I’m in a similar position to you. My doctor tells me the next step is a hip replacement, which is not for me at the minute. I had bursitis in my joint, for which I had a steroid Injection, but when the truth is told, the joint is worn. I have found losing weight helpful obviously, but I’m sure that fasting (and I follow 16:8 as a daily routine now) and the 5:2 generally has been helpful. I did my first liquid fast yesterday, and am very pleased with the result. I have been stuck up and down on a plateau for a while, and this morning it seems to have shifted. I shall incorporate that into my weekly routine now and play around with it.
    I drink a turmeric tea daily, and also bath in magnesium salts which is relaxing if nothing else. I tried boswellia Serrata, but wasn’t convinced at the outcome. Will also look up the other two you mentioned and maybe give them a try.
    I have a weak psoas muscle. I went to a Pilates class and one of the exercises was called ‘Jenny’s fat thighs (I’m sure Jenny, an instructor, didn’t have an ounce of flesh on her thighs lol) but you sit with your hands on the ground behind you. You life your right leg about 4″ off the ground and slowly move it to the side and back. Torture and I still can’t do it, but I should practise it more! Am currently working on keeping my legs strong.
    Sorry for the long post. I shall take on board your fasting tips.

I have osteoarthritis in my knees, left knee particularly bad. I can only walk more than a step or two unless I use a crutch or walking stick. I can feel bone crunching on bone when I stand and walk.
    NHS will not operate to replace joint till I lose weight which is cruel as I can’t exercise. Apart from the obvious, they don’t understand that as a pensioner I can’t AFFORD to go swimming often enough to make any difference. I have barely enough to live on as it is, with all possible benefits claimed.
    However the 5:2 diet is beginning to make a difference. I was told that just 1kg weight loss takes a lot of strain off the knees and I have lost 4kg so far. The FDs can be hard but I’m determined.
    One thing that is helping is a CBD (cannabinoid) balm directly on my knees and I am also planning to try a product that I take by mouth. This is 100% legal, don’t confuse with illegal cannabis. I find that I can keep to my prescribed 3 ibuprofen a day whereas before I started it I was often up to 5 a day and still in pain. I means that I can sleep too which gives me a better quality of life.
    I also plan to try a turmeric supplement or just to cook with it more often!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.