I need to lose 6 stone. Any big girls want to buddy up?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
I need to lose 6 stone. Any big girls want to buddy up?

This topic contains 944 replies, has 62 voices, and was last updated by  Lolly_ 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 947 total)

• Lolly that is absolutely fabulous news!! Well done!!!

Lolly that’s brilliant news!! What a loss!! Well done to you!

“I dismissed another 4 pounds”…lol…I LOVE that verbiage!

Thanks for the hot drink recommendations everyone…I’ll be trying all of them.

Watched the actual documentary that started all this last night…very informative…I guess maybe I should have started with that, but it’s nice to have some science-y reasons to do this.

Stayed right at my TDEE calories yesterday, and fast day #2 is underway. I got a little hunger pain in a meeting just now, and after a mini-panic, I was able to just sit with it until it went away. Hot tea helps a lot.

Good luck to everyone today…it’s only 10:30 a.m. here and the streets around me are flooded with rain water. Springtime in the swamps of Louisiana.

Today I was at the gym and a big old scale was staring at me so I finally weighed myself. I had been feeling antsy that nothing’s changed in a long time and I needed to see if I had made any progress. I guess I did. I was down 12.5 pounds since mid-February. Maybe 35 pounds since Christmas (didn’t weigh myself before I began).

I’m estimating that’s about 1.5 pounds a week. Probably a reasonable rate so I’m happy with that even if I’m not seeing it yet. Just gotta be patient and carry on!

LA that is wonderful news!! They say 1-2 lbs a week is the norm so you’re bang on. 35 lbs loss is phenomenal, well done!! Plus all those jean sizes you’ve gone down. I bow down to you both going to the gym and weighing yourself in public. Braver than me LA

Brilliant news Lolly and LA!!

LA That is fantastic well done!! You must have been very pleased with that, what wonderful progress!

DPM well done for sitting through the hunger pangs, they don’t last too long and soon disappear, I find a hot drink helps too.

Well, as I fasted Monday and Wednesday this week I officially weighed myself this morning after my second fast of the week rather than my usual Friday weigh in and I’m so happy to say I have shed another 2lbs so that’s a 4lb loss since Friday and it has taken me to 13st 12lbs!! So goodbye to the 14s! I’m really over the moon! Hubby said good riddance to 3lb this week and he’s very happy too! His shirts are really getting quite big around the neck!!

Hope you have a wonderful day everyone!

SB that is wonderful, wonderful news for both of you!! In the 13’s!! That is very exciting!! The low carb is obviously working really well for you.

Thank you NG!! Yes it’s almost a week now since we began low carb and honestly I haven’t missed much. I was a real carb addict and thought this would prove difficult for me. Hubby has a real sweet tooth and I didn’t know how he would find it so we thought we would do a two week trial to see how we get on. He was over the moon this morning to find he’d lost 3lb since Friday and I’m so happy to get rid of that 4lb to take me in the 13s. We’ve been eating really well too, lots of meat, veg and cheese (which I love!!).

Hiya!

So I managed to lose this page after my previous/first post. Now bookmarked! 🙂

So I have now been on the 5:2 for 2 weeks 4 days and had 5 fasts, today being my 6th as I had to move them around abit this week.

Going really well I think. I didn’t weigh myself the first week – I never liked scales..I wonder why 😉 – however bought some the start of the 2nd week. Since then I have lost just under 9 pounds. Just goes to show how much I need to lose in an ideal world.

Not sure how I’m doing with the inches although trousers feel looser around legs. Going to measure on Monday which will be the start of week 3 and the walks on Sunday. Fingers crossed! 🙂

WOWWEEEE No_Stopping_Me_Now! That really is phenomenal well done to you!! Keep up the fantastic work!!

Morning all
    what great results all round – well done everyone. My unknown bug became very obvious – I have shingles (chicken pox has been rife in the area amongst the local schools), but hopefully will be settled back to normal within a couple of weeks and am just taking things steady. I can also report good news as my holiday weight gain plus an extra pound has been dismissed – just loving that phrasing – and so am back on a downward trend once more.

What great results today!! Well done NSMN! What a brilliant start. Does it feel like this is the way of eating that you’ve been waiting for? I know that light bulb went off in my head around the third week.

Lisa great news about dismissing the weight but eek about the shingles. Not nice. Take care and look after yourself.

Eek Lisa! Shingles!! Poor you! I’ve never had shingles but know that they can be very painful! Hope you get better very soon. But fantastic news about your weight loss well done!! Lots of happy news today!

WOW! All the fantastic releases that I’m reading here is just wonderful and SOOOOOO INSPIRING.

I have just read 3 days of posts so don’t remember them all but LA, Buttonboots, Lolly, DPM, SkyB + NSMN Congratulations! Sorry if I missed any other milestones, my head is swimming with all those numbers, or missing numbers.

I am plodding along, having a change of diet as we are getting cooler evenings and a salad isn’t quite the same but my body will adjust.

Today was a Cleansing day but by mid afternoon with too much black coffee under my belt and not enough waster wot dilute it, I was feeling quite queasy. I had a protein drink in the cupboard at work and as it is quite thick in consistency, it calmed my tummy down. Note to self- remember to have a glass of water with every hot drink.

I also discovered that there is a new salad bar just opened in the food court next to work. I haven’t ventured into the food court since I started the 5;2 and it was a nice surprise. I stopped by after work 8Pm to grab a salad for dinner and thankfully they have a calorie content. Alas nothing under 450cals, so I had a chat with the manager and he is going to be adding some weight watchers salads.

I agree that with each diet tried in the past there was something to learn from it. Which is really cool as that means it wasn’t a failure but a learning experience.

Lisa, I am sorry you have shingles. I know it is nasty as I have had friends with same. So get better soon and take it easy.

Off to get a rare early bedtime – it is only 11pm!

I release any excess fat cells that no longer serve me. Night all and keep up the excellent work.

So energising to be surrounded by all this positive attitude and success! Aside from the shingles (ack!) we’re all doing so well. Knowing that I am understood and cheered on is making this a very different experience from dieting (and failing miserably) on my own.

Far from being miserable, I haven’t felt this well in years. LCHF combined with IF has worked miracles for me. I’m eating food I love and no hunger at all, yet the weight is shifting as it never did on any other plan. I have energy, inflammation is down, I sleep well — I have zero cravings. If avoidance of sugar is the price of this ticket, done deal.

Go us!

Lolly, I’m right there with you having been pushed hither, thither and yon by poor dietary information over the years. After 4 months I can say this not only produces results but feels so much better. I don’t feel deprived. I don’t feel straight-jacketed by it. I just feel like one well done week sets me up for more success the next one. So GLAD that you are getting that surge of well being along with great results. It’s an *intoxicating* combination, no? 😏

What is LCHF?

MmeMonkey! Well done! You are probably the first of our little group to accomplish your goal and move toward maintaining. We should have a special 6 Stone Trophy to award. And yours should be solid gold to inspire us all on to our goals!

Yay, too, for you, Skyblue! Two pounds in a week is great and so is starting with a 1!!!! Was it this thread or somewhere else that someone called it Onederful? In any case, Onederful is what you are and we’re proud of you! 👏 And putting that Carb Monster behind you will only increase your success and ease your way to it.

Buttonboots, you remain the Gold Standard for me! Your amazing progress and amazingly positive attitude are the ones to match!

Hope you enjoy your brother’s visit and do a good job of keeping the deli foods at bay. Here in Vancouver we have an excellent German deli too. I am amazed that the variety of sausages and goodies but I have to look and not buy. 😏

Hope you’re feeling better by now!

DeepPurpleMoon, I’m tired of watching my anemic SCOBY languish in my dark closet. Today I’m going to brew my first batch and see if fresh sweet tea will pump it up some. I’ll let you know how it develops. It’s still cold here in the Northwest — yesterday was colder than when we first arrived in February — but I know the warm weather is not too far off and I hope to have a vigorous SCOBY and be ready with some cold, refreshing kombucha when that time comes! 😏

Hooray, No_stopping_me_now! Nine pounds is fantastic! You guys are so lucky to “release” your weight so much more efficiently but, still, it represents work and you did it very nicely!!!

I don’t weigh often either. I’m much less frustrated and impatient this way.

Glad you found your way back here! I look forward to a male point of view!

Ouch, Lisa! I had shingles 6 years ago and I can still remember that burning feeling. I was lucky tho. When I was a kid and had chicken pox it was a very light case and so was my shingles. Still, it was painful enough to occasion real empathy when others get it.

Hope you get a good antibiotic and get it behind you. Cipro was what I used and it knocked it right out. But be sure you use a probiotic and eat lots of fermented foods along with it. You want to replace all those beneficial gut bacteria. I am thoroughly convinced that the *miracle* of IF happens in our gut biome.

Hi, speckles. I, personally, don’t worry about the calories in my salad. I have an ENORMOUS one every day for lunch. And it’s loaded with beans that have a good bit of fat but also a lot of protein. I also use ordinary olive oil dressing that has both fat and calories. AND I’m generous with it. I am not sure At. All. that my food day calories are within my TDEE but it’s all good quality food with protein, tons of fiber and, above all, nutrition. It keeps me satisfied and on my program.

I, personally, would be wary of “weight watcher” foods since, as Lolly and I have experienced, so often they are based on faulty food trends.

Would you mind telling us more about your cleansing?

BTW, I’m getting a weird dump of a ton of posts at once too!

LCHF = Low Carb High Fat (I think).

LA> No, no, I’ve not accomplished my goal. I’ve met my first interim target – 2 stone gone by my birthday (which is tomorrow). I’ve got another 3-4 to go after that. I’m thinking of this as a 12-18 month project before I get into maintenance, but pleased how far I’ve got in just 3 months.

Wow….I just read this whole last page of posts, and it’s so inspiring! Aside from the shingles…Lisa57, I hope you recover well and soon.

Lolly, you sound like me…LCHF is what I seem to gravitate towards naturally when I’m watching what I eat…my body seems to respond best to that way of eating. I’m really grateful for all the diets I failed (or that failed me!), because I did take something from each and every one of them and I’m applying it now.

So, what I’ve learned so far from IF is…

NEVER pack your lunch for a feed day when you’re in the throes of a fast day.

I literally packed enough food to feed a small childcare center today. It’s all whole foods, fresh veggies, good fats, etc…but now I’m just halfway through breakfast and I’m stuffed. So…get this for a novel idea…I’m going to stop eating. Revelations.

LA…let me know how the kombucha works out! I’ve got to try it…kombucha in bottles at the local crunchy-granola grocery is SOOO expensive!

Low Carb High Fat sounds like the way to go! Thanks for the explanation.

I see, MmeMonkey! Is it selfish if I’m glad you’ll still be with us? 😏 And, meanwhile, meeting a goal is always a thrill. Meeting it on your birthday will be a very special gift to yourself! Well done!

Oh man! DeepPurpleMoon. I used to spend $5 a bottle and up! Now it costs CENTS to make a gallon. There is very little in the way of equipment necessary. I think I paid $6-7 for a siphon to fill bottles.

Now I am at last caught up! Off to the gym!

I’m not going anywhere. 🙂

And amazing results from everyone else! skyblue – into the 13s! Lolly, another 4 pounds down. You guys rock!

K-Lo is right — LCHF = Low Carb High Fat. It’s exactly the opposite from everything we’ve been told for the last 40 years or so, namely that low-fat is good for you. My body is loving it. It turns out that I have been insulin-resistant all this time, making it all but impossible for me to lose weight on carbs. My doctor confirmed today — unable to keep the surprise out of his voice — that my blood sugar readings were lower than he’d ever seen and my inflammation was way down. I’ve broken through a barrier at last.

It may not be for everyone, but if you find yourself binging on sugar, pasta, bread, etc., it might be worth a look. I can recommend anything online by Dr Jason Fung. He has some brilliant videos called “The Aetiology of Obesity” series.

DeepPurpleMoon, you’re so right — a lifetime of diet study is finally paying off! Yay us!

Oh dear, I must be selfish, too — I’m glad you’re still with us, MmeM. 😀

Do any of you lovely ladies make your own kefir? If so I’d love to hear how easy /hard it is.

NG…I second that…would love recommendations…myself, husband, and our 3 year old daughter all love it.

I’ve never done kefir but it sounds pretty easy if you can get ahold of some kefir grains. I know they’re available from a number of sources online because I used to see them offered by some of the same places that supplied SCOBYs.

This site has information about preparing the kefir. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-milk-kefir-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202022 Their information is very reliable.

It’s delicious isn’t it DPM. It’s very hard to find here in the UK on the whole. On holiday in Spain last week the local supermarket had goat’s kefir. Gorgeous and so good for your gut! Thanks for the link LA. I’d read a few online but you never know how reliable they are. Going to read that now. Night all

DPM it’s so good that your daughter drinks it. My almost 3 year old has a great diet but can’t get him anywhere near yoghurt even, never mind kefir. One day I hope!

Thanks for the info, LA!

NG…it’s not all roses with her…she’s got chronic constipation, and will barely eat anything…like her diet consists of 5 things, despite offering her every healthy food under the sun. The kefir was a desperate attempt that somehow worked! I should also add that she only likes the strawberry version…we get this great organic brand in the local grocery…it is sweetened but not overly so, and they use cane juice instead of white sugar. I’m about to start dosing her with magnesium to see if that helps…

Oh no, poor thing. I’ve got a friend with a son with the same problem. Will your daughter have prunes? It’s the only thing that works for my friend’s son. Wow that you can get organic kefir locally. And strawberry too!! I used to live in Russia and everyone drank it daily. I’m hoping it catches on here. Just looking at the grains now, courtesy of the link LA sent.

She eats raisins, so she may eat prunes..but what she does eat, she eats in such small portions, that i’m not sure it would make a difference! I’m sure this is just a phase, so we keep trying to offer her a variety. I’m hyper-aware of trying not to cause her the same food issues I’ve had to deal with in my life, with the result that I don’t know if what I’m doing is right or wrong half the time, but I keep trying.

Just stumbled across water kefir!! Never heard of it before.

I’m sure you’re doing the best thing for her. They do definitely go through phases so fingers crossed for you that this is a short one.

Googling ‘water kefir’ right now…

Too late for me to make a well informed purchase but definitely buying some milk grains tomorrow and may try the water ones too after a bit more research. Got to sleep. Night all

Woo hoo! Another kg dismissed/released this week.

When I started this way of eating in mid January I thought I would try to lose 2 stone by my birthday. Well, today is my birthday and I have lost 13kg, so 2 stone plus half a pound. Very proud of myself. Never met any weight loss goals in my life before. Next stop Onederland – would be good to be there by the summer.

Went for a half hour run this morning. I thought of it as a present to myself. My husband has also bought be a Fitbit so I’d better keep this way of life up.

And tomorrow, we are off to the USA for a week. We will take a little break from fasting but try and be mindful of what we eat. The exercise gear is coming with us, but any holiday tips gratefully received!

Happy birthday MmeM! What a fantastic birthday present to reach your first goal. Well done and absolute hats off to you doing a 30 minute run. Wow!!! Go girl! Have a great holiday. I’m afraid I can’t give any tips as I chose to allow myself lots of chocolate on holiday, so not a good example!

Thankyou! 🙂

I feel great NG, it seems to have got easier and yesterday was the easiest yet so hoping I can keep this up. I have a lot of weddings/gatherings to attend this year so would be good to look and most importantly feel great.

Well done to everyone on their weight loss. I think this is just what I needed to keep me going. I feel very motivated knowing it’s working for so many!

I too have good news this week. Weigh in today (fasted Tuesday and Thursday this week, which I really enjoyed for a change) and I’m delighted to say that the 2 lbs that hitched a lift back from my holiday last week have decided to depart back to warmer climates and they’ve taken another 2 lbs with them, so total 4 lbs release this week!
    I’m especially happy as although I had 2 really good fast days, I was still in holiday mode and eating chocolate on my NFDs. Really need to stop the sugar again. Why I why do I have to see it as a treat?

My fasts were a bit different this week. I love everything about a water only fast – not having to think about food or count calories, more time in the day, giving my digestive system a complete break and the feeling of a deep cleanse. However after lots of research I decided (not particularly happily it has to be said) to juice on my fast days too as apparently water only can actually be a strain on the system if you’re losing a lot of weight (counter intuitive to me, but the science can’t be argued with). Anyway, apart from the chopping and washing up, I LOVED having the fresh juice. I always feel good on fast days anyway, but I felt AMAZING. Energy levels were through the roof and both days I got a fit of the giggles for absolutely no reason at all. Tears running down my face kind of giggles. I think my body was just so happy, it had to come out. It was very odd, but very lovely.

Have a great day and weekend everyone.

Hello everyone Happy Friday! Happy Birthday MMe and many congratulations on getting to your 1st goal what an achievement well done, lovely start to the weekend for you! And for you too NG – wow another 4lb that’s so amazing!

Actually, you are all amazing, I’m so glad I found this forum for the motivation, support, and advice! Love coming here and reading about everyone’s goals, aspirations and achievements it’s so inspiring!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!

SB

I second that SB. I love this forum!

Just seen your posting about needing to lose 6 st. I to have at least 6 St to lose. I’m quite embarrassed at admitting that actually. Have been on the 5:2 for a few months now. Have lost 2 St 2 lbs so far. I’m not saying it’s not difficult at times but its been the easiest way of losing weight I’ve tried. It helps to share the journey ahead.

Hi there caspersmum and welcome to the forum. Well done on the loss so far, that’s fantastic! Sharing on the forum definitely helps – both when you’re having a good day AND a bad day. Other than the ladies on the this forum, I’ve not told anybody at all how much I need to loose and I don’t even really like telling anybody (except on here) how much I’ve lost already (nearly 3 stone). The shock on people’s faces is a bit off putting I find!

MmeMonkey, what a fabulous accomplishment and what a birthday present to yourself. You know, you may have given yourself *another* birthday or two. 🎂🎁

Soooooo impressed that you can run for 30 minutes! I have asthma and a knee with no cartilage so it’s been many, many years since I could say that despite any good intentions.

Where will you be in the US? I hope it’s wonderful for a soon-to-be-ONEderful person! 😏

I think you have discovered one of the wonders of intermittent fasting, No_stopping_me_now. Fasting doesn’t get harder and harder within any particular day and it only gets easier week after week as it becomes a pattern. I’ve been doing IF for 4 months now and I think I would really *miss* my fasts.

It’s going to work for you too! In 4 months I can’t remember a single post on any thread in which someone said they were throwing in the towel because it hadn’t worked for them. Maybe there are some who can’t master the discipline and slink away quietly but you can *see* the evidence of the people who not only lose weight but feel so much better that weight doesn’t even remain their priority.

NorthernGal, can’t argue with such great results and such enthusiasm for the feeling of well being but I’m confused that you find sugar a problem but plan to fast with sweet juice. Have you done a juice fast already? Doesn’t the sugar in the juice induce cravings? If it doesn’t that’s fantastic! But I know it would for me. I’d stick to things like chicken broth for FDs and have the juice on food days.

Of course, that’s just *my* reaction based on *my* experience and one thing I’ve learned in 50 or so years of dieting is that our metabolic responses to food IS NOT a one-size-fits-all thing in the least! The important thing is that you’re moving ahead at a steady clip and feeling great!

And you’re soooo right about sharing the good news and the bad. I find it incredibly affirming to see how many people take a detour and are *able* to right themselves on intermittent fasting. Life is always going to happen to us but when it does intermittent fasters don’t fold!!!! How many of us can say that about other diets in our pasts? And the support of people who have been there means so much and feels so good.

So glad you’re here too, Skyblue!

Welcome, caspersmum! More than 2 stone already? What a great start!

Isn’t it amazing how effective this program is despite the fact that it’s easier, more do-able and more sustainable than any conventional diet EVER!?!

So glad you found us!

It’s Friday, folks! Hope everyone will have a great weekend!

Afternoon all!

Some FANTAASTIC results being recorded this week…well done!

I have never made Kefir, but I do make my own joghurt…and also Dicke Milch (thick milk) which is fermented at room temperature (as I believe Kefir is?…whereas joghurt needs heat)

I also make my own cheese….well chilled, strained joghurt makes a lovely soft cheese – a bit like Philly….and if you heat milk and then add a mild acid (lemon juice or vinegar) you get curd cheese/quark which is delicious – as well as healthy!

LA, for some reason fruit doesn’t activate my sweet tooth. My breakfast has been fruit salad, yoghurt and toasted nuts for as long as I can remember, including years and years before I started craving sugar. It’s refined sugar and carbs that trigger the cravings for me. Once I stop the chocolate for 4 days I’m back on track again. The stupid thing was giving myself “treats” on holiday, which are of course anything but that for my body.
    I did 2 days of juice fasting this week. It’s mainly veggie juices and less fruit. It could be coincidence so I’ll wait another couple of weeks until I know for sure but the terrible acid I get also stopped this week after the juicing. I would be over the moon if it’s the end of my acid.

What do you add to the milk BB to start the fermentation?

Well you go, NG! Particularly if you can eliminate stomach acids!

I add an extra proton pump inhibitor on my FDs.

Buttonboots, your Dicke Milch sounds like kefir. I am curious too about how you get it started. Are you just inoculating milk with a previous batch?

All your fermented foods and cheeses are ways to boost probiotics and I’m a big believer in the positive effect of those things that improve our gut flora! I think your enormous success may be further proof of their efficacy. But, of course, there’s also your discipline and great attitude. Hard to separate out what has which effect but you certainly are the package and I aspire to follow your example!

What’s a proton pump inhibitor LA? Sounds painful!!

Non of my family know my weight, not even my husband so it’s hard to admit how much I need to lose. Well done you on your achievement you must feel really pleased with yourself. As you probably know, when you have a lot to lose it takes awhile before its noticed. I’ve been over weight since my thirties and its now or never to change my life. It is nice to have this forum to chat to people who understand how hard it is. Thanks for this.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 947 total)

You must be logged in to reply.