I nearly died – any other PE survivors or warfarin users here?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
I nearly died – any other PE survivors or warfarin users here?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sagisal 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi all,

It’s been a long while since I posted here and I’m sorry I’ve missed so much. Probably very few people here remember me. I run the other 5:2 forum, now called FastDay (we’ve branched out into other forms of IF now!).

This year has been quite an experience for me. I nearly died. I’m low on energy right now so instead of writing it all here and clogging up the forum with it, I’ll direct you to the blog post I’ve written all about it.

http://www.the52dietplan.com/i-nearly-died-or-an-unplanned-break-from-fasting/

I’d love to know if any of you have been through the same as me, or if any of you are on Warfarin (Coumadin) and fast. Would also love to hear from anyone on Rivoroxaban (Xarelto) as I’m hoping to switch to that soon. I know it’s not strictly fasting related, but I think it’s important that we raise awareness of blood clots, too many people don’t survive. If posting this can save just one life through helping someone to recognise the signs & symptoms then I consider it worth my having typed it up.

I’m a member of a few PE survivor groups as well as some fasting groups, but it would be really nice to get to know someone else who fits into both, like me.

I am on Warfarin 5mg, started the 5.2 diet 5 weeks ago, and have lost 15lbs. I have my INR checked every Tuesday for the past 5 weeks…the INR had reduced to 1.9..but have reduced the Vit K vegetables slightly and the INR this week has gone up to 2.2…I have Atrial Fibrallation since 2013..and have tried to lose weight ever since because of the medication…this is the only programme that has worked for me…since weight watchers…Mr Moseley web site advises that the fast days are spaced out to Monday and Thursdays which I have done..and pleased to say that I find it easy to do now in the third, fourth, and fifth week..Because of Warfarin I also eat low GI/ and slightly lower VIT K food items (which I down loaded from the VIT K web….. the other days to help and slightly reduced Vit K intake..as it is a blood thickener..I feel so much better and as I go on hope to reduce the Warfarin dosage…and maybe go with the other blood thinners Xarelto offered by my surgery when I have lost more weight…Have you started Xarelto and how do you find it, as I see your posting was back in 2014…How much weight did you lose in total and has the weight loss helped your health situation…I am so pleased I tried this programme, will continue with the 5.2 and low GI for ever..as it is not too difficult once you get into it..

Hello
    I have atrial fibrillation and am on Warfarin. I too have found it hard to lose weight. I had my first fast day yesterday and will try another on Friday. I have my next blood test on Monday and will discuss the 5:2 diet with the nurse then. Glad to know not alone and it is working for you.
    Let me know how you get on.

I am on Warfarin for life (since June 2006) following PE and subsequent diagnosis of Antiphospholipid Syndrome and SLE (lupus). I self-test weekly and my INR was stable between 2 & 3 prior to starting the 5:2 fast diet.

Fast diet commenced January 2015. I usually diet Monday and Thursday. Weight down from 183 lbs to 157 lbs & waist 44.5″ to 38″. Blood pressure down too. The diet has not affected INR.

Interestingly, I have been taking antacids (Omeprazole) for acid re-flux for years, but reduced dose from 20 mg to 10 mg per day and was able to stop taking it completely in August this year. Not sure if this is connected to the diet.

INR is affected if you do a full fast, much more than just a calorie reduction. Regular monitoring whilst you start the 5:2 should give an indication of how food intake affects it.
    I’ve done a few full fasts and my INR shoots up to 4.5! I always tell the warfarin clinic pharmacists, who say they’ll just monitor it but it’s not the best outcome for anyone wants a full on fast, who is on life long warfarin!
    So the 5:2 works much better and not as scary 🙂

I have just stopped taking Rivaroxaban following a 7 day heart monitor result confirming that my atrial fibrillation was cured by the ablation I had last August. I was taking it for the first 5-6 weeks since starting the 5:2 diet on 1st December and did not feel it affected my success. So far I’ve lost 4.3 kg since starting at 84 kg, and feel lighter and more energetic.
    Good luck to all suffering from atrial fibrillation, whether you are controlling it with meds or waiting for surgery.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.