I am completely new to this diet.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi I am completely new to this diet, I struggle with staying on diets any help or tips would be appreciated.I really want to lose weight just find it hard to maintain diets I have been on before. I have lost and gained weight lots so I say I am a yo-yo dieter. I really try but after a while I really just want to eat sweet or any junk food help thank you.

Hi Cloud, I’m new to this too. I think I’ve been on almost every diet there is, over the years. What has appealed to me with this, is the fact that it’s more of an approach to a healthy lifestyle than a diet. Of course I want to lose weight, in fact I HAVE to lose weight. But you know, I can cope much better with limiting my calorie consumption for 2 days a week than I can worrying about what I cannot eat for 7 days a week. So as for that piece of cake and that burger, you can have it, just go easy.

Hey I’ve been doing this for a few months now & it’s really not like a diet. I fast on a Monday & Thursday & I just keep my mind on that particular day. Don’t even think about Thursday fast on a Monday. i like the fact I can have willpower for that day & it’s very satisfying to prove to myself I can do it. Just think if you really want that chocolate/cake then you can have it tmrw.

Hi Alyson, your post makes a lot if sense to me. Yes I think I can diet for one day and repeat this again later in the week. I’ve never been able to stick to a seven day eating plan for more than a few months. Although I’m only a week in I’ve got high hopes for the 5:2 plan

Hi All, I’ve been doing this for a year now and it is a lifestyle for me.

I would advise you not to expect to lose a lot of weight consistently. You may start off losing quite a lot (or not) but in the end most people seem to settle into a very gradual weight loss (for me it’s now anything from 4lb – 1lb per month). As long as the scales are heading in the right direction over time then you shouldn’t fret when this happens to you.

I’d also recommend not weighing yourself too often (every day is way too much).

Every now and again try on a piece of clothing that used to fit you really well (when you started) and see what a difference you’ve made to your shape over time. I cannot adequately express how rediculously happy it made me to finally be able to try on a pair of size 12 trousers in a shop and shock-of-shocks they FIT!!!

One thing that I’ve gradually learned to do is save stuff that I know I’ll really look forward to as fastday food. I know that sounds weird but I’ve cut out breakfast and lunch every day (not just fast days) so I really really look forward all day (on my fastdays) to my usual fastday ‘treat’ of a big bowl of branflakes and a cuppa, which I have as my sole fastday meal totalling 500 calories (I allow myself a nectarine or some other fruit too if I’m still peckish). I hardly ever have branflakes on any other day than a fastday, so I honestly daydream about them when I know I have a bowl to look forward to when I get home on my fastdays.

following your example TracyJ i now save my cals for my evening meal, where i have salad and king prawns with seafood sauce and brown bread, it feels like a real treat and is worth the wait, i no longer go to bed feeling hungry, im off work till sept so dont know if it will still be doable then but hope so. xx

That’s great fast for life, I’m so glad it works for you too! Isn’t it lovely to be able to look forward to something really nice (or in my case branflakes – yes, I know I’m weird), rather than a tiny compromise of a meal. By the time September comes around I’m sure you’ll be so used to it you’ll have no problem adjusting. Let us know though. 😉

I am about to embark on what I hope will be a successful diet for me as have tried almost all of the others. As I don’t belong now to a club I thought I would go on the blog and “talk” to all of you others, I can see some are also new but some have lovely successful stories to tell – hope I will soon be one of them. I just bought the 5:2 Diet Book by Kate Harrison but now not sure I have bought the right one as it doesn’t seem to give too many tips on quantities of food to eat and what actually to eat on fasting days. Lot of success stories and other tips but not a lot of actual guidelines. Anyway, look forward to “chatting” with you all as I start this new road. Tomorrow (Tuesday) will be my first fast day.

Valleylady – don’t get all hung up on rules. Just do what will work for you. Don’t even worry about sticking rigidly to the calorie limits to start with. Give yourself some leeway for the first few fasts until you’ve got yourself used to the rhythm and learned to cope with hunger pangs. Use that time to experiment with what food and distribution will work for you. Have fun & let us know how you get on.

I’m sure Michael & Mimi felt they needed to write books to respond to the growing clamour for info on the ‘diet’ and of course dieters are used to having rules to follow but this isn’t that kind of ‘diet’ really and you don’t need a book. You’ll do it forever so you have to figure out what’s going to work for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.