I am a very active 76 year old bloke and need to lose 14 lbs in about 2 months

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
I am a very active 76 year old bloke and need to lose 14 lbs in about 2 months

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Should I even be considering this at my age?

I weigh in at 13st 6lbs. I did a crash diet two years ago and found that I had extreme heart palpitations during the diet. The doc said I was producing excessive adrenalin through not eating properly which stimulated the heart.

So, I gave up on that one. Will the 5:2 help me get down to 12st 6 and should I even consider it at my age?

I don’t do much exercise, but I do play the accordion with buskers (once or twice a week) for charity and feel a bit lighter after playing for 4 hours in the freezing cold. I also need to lose weight as I do part time modelling for TV and photo shoots and won’t get jobs if I am a bit porky!

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Its 90% diet and 10% exercise. 14 pounds in 2 months is a tall order. About 1 pound per week is average Crash diets don’t work in the long term as it doesn’t change your eating habits. Cut out sugar and refined carbs. Basically if the food came from grains, don’t eat it. So no bread, pasta, pizza, biscuits, cakes etc. Get your carbs from veggies and some fruit. Nuts like walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts. Fats from cheese, avocadoes, high fat low sugar yogurt. Some lean meat like chicken, pork. Fish, tuna. No potatoes.

Good luck. It works as long as you don’t treat it like a diet. Its a forever eating style.

Hi papeter,

Yep, you can do this at 76, and you wouldn’t be the pldest person on here. This is very different to crash dieting, whch is very unhealthy. The research on this is very good. 14 lbs might be a bit too much in 2 mnths unless you’re holding onto a lot of fluid, because excess fluid from fluid retention often comes off first.

Keep posting and maybe join the men’s thread, a thread that appeals to you, ot the over 60’s thread maybe.

You can do this🙂

Merry

Try intermittent fasting. Complete your last meal of the day by 7 pm at night. The next day, break your fast by 11 a.m the next day. Remember you can increase the 16 hour fast and stretch it to more hours up to 20 to 24 hours to reap maximum benefits. You can try 24 hour fasts two days a week and 16 hour fast can be attempted every alternate day, or every day when you get used to it. This results in weight loss and fat loss.

Thanks Bigbooty, great info which I will put into action. Oh dear, just had some porridge as I write this! Never mind, I will give the rest of it to the hens, they need fattening.

Merryme, thanks for your reply and advice. Muchos appreciado.

Smotfi1, many thanks for the intermittent fasting which I will try tonight. We finish our meal at 7.30pm approx so breakfast or brunch will be 11.30am and might increase it one hour at a time to get used to it until I can manage a 24hr stretch.

Im a big advocate of NO GRAIN based foods. Some on here agree with me some don’t. Ask most of the maintainers on here and I think they would agree with me on the no grains concept. Instead of porridge have a high fat (the highest you can find) low sugar (lowest you can find) yogurt for breakfast. I add a handful of mixed frozen berries or a cut up apple (go for the tart ones rather than sweet apples). Add a handful of almonds and pumpkin seeds. It will keep you full until lunch time and NO blood glucose spike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.