How to get back on the wagon!!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I started the 5:2 diet in June 2019 and had lost 2.5 stone by December 2019, I hit a plateau and then in March 2020 came the coronavirus lockdown (UK) and with my daughter home from school I found it impossible to continue. Obviously lockdown is still on going and I’ve put 1.5 stone back on during this last year. I’m struggling to get back to fasting. It came easy when I first started but seems impossible to pick it up again. Has anyone had this issue and how did you overcome it?

Hi Suzie118! I’ve been on the 5:2 routine since mid-2018. I found that occasionally I would reach a plateau, or in some cases just got out of sync and off the routine entirely (C-19 certainly didn’t help). I have found that the best way to move forward when this occurs for me is to follow a different routine — example, this time around I made good progress for about 3 weeks then I just couldn’t handle the hunger (suspect it was just too much stress in addition to everything else going on with C-19). So, I switched to the 16:8 routine. I am back on track for weight loss, and don’t have the serious hunger effects that I have been experiencing on the 5:2 recently. So, I’ve learned that I simply need to alter the routine I follow once in awhile to give myself a break and to keep moving forward. The main thing I keep in mind on the 16:8 routine is to not stress-eat / overeat during the 8 hours, so at present I plan for meals for the day and then make a point of eating only those things I have planned. The other thing I am doing is not drinking any soda of any kind (including diet soda) — I mainly drink tea, water or coffee. For some reason, soda tends to cause a fluid retention situation more than any other food for me (I can literally gain 3-4 pounds over just 1-2 days if I drink soda). So far, it’s working for me…. Best wishes, and stay well!

Isn’t it interesting how it can be different the second time.
    My suggestions are:
    Make it the number one priority in your life.
    Plan out what you (and your daughter) will eat on fast days.
    Remember that feeling hungry means good things are happening in your body.

These mightn’t be the trick for you, but keep analysing what is making it too hard, and keep trying solutions. You will get there!

Another tip: a bowl of low carb veggies when you get too hungry. As big a bowl as you like, with a little drizzle of oil and a squeeze of lemon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.