How to count calories in home cooked food?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
How to count calories in home cooked food?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  coldpizza 8 years ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• I have not got a lot of weight to loose but I started this diet with the hope of loosing about 4kg using the 5:2 method. I am not having any problems with fast days or feed days except that I cannot find any comprehensive calorie counter for home cooked food. For instance, last night for dinner, a non fast day, I had lamb steak 150g with braised red cabbage and I am stuck as how on earth to calculate the calories in the cabbage. It was home made with red wine, balsamic vinegar, sugar and the juice of one orange. The lamb steak was ok,I just calculated from the calories listed in the book and added an extra 100 cals for the shallot sause, but it’s all guesswork really.

I also found that the recipes in the book would not work for me as I will choose quality over quantity every time. I dont mean quality of ingredients so much as quality of taste. I simply cannot be doing all this low fat stuff. To me it tastes absolutely yuk. Steamed vegetables taste of very little – I know I’d have to add a dollop of butter or creme fraiche, and salad with lemon juice – nah, my home-made chilli oil please.

So for me, it is smaller portions but tasty food. I can understand that people who are used to having large platefuls of food, the low calorie recipes are probably more sensible as they can then get more bang for their bucks on fast days, so to speak. But I am disappointed that there doesn’t seem to be any way of accurately counting the calories in home cooked food, I didn’t even find single cream listed, but that was ok as the calories are stated on the pot.

Is anyone else frustrated by this? My husband and I are both keen cooks and always make everything from scratch, so any tips would be really appreciated.

Hi kipkatzz, nice to meet a fellow foodie :).
    I’m with you, a big plate of steamed vegetables or a salad with nothing but lemon juice doesn’t sound tasty or tempting.
    I think the problem with counting calories in home cooking is that most of the ingredients are not precisely meassured – as you write: “a dollop of butter or creme fraiche”. So, while I still cook with abandon and without counting calories on 5 days a week, on our fast days we keep it extremely simple – mostly grilled chicken breast or fish, vegetables sauteed with garlic and seasonings in a spoonful of oil (most oils have about 40 cals in a tsp. or 120 cals in a tbsp). It works, in 5 months I lost 10kg.
    Your red cabbage sounds delicious, haven’t tried it with orange, my “secret ingredient” is red currant jelly.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Hi there, and thanks for your reply. Yes, I guess keeping it simple on fast days is a good idea but as there are only 2 in the household and hubbie is not on the diet, I may well end up with loads of stuff in the fridge. In that case, I might well turn them into a big soup which on it’s own on a fast day would probably be ok for calories, as long as I resist the temptation to add a load of creme fraiche! I think this will be the only way I can manage it.

My weekly lunch staples are things like roasted vegetables with rossted chill halloumi; smoked mackarel and home-made coleslaw; savoy cabbage sauteed in butter with bacon, garlic and shallots.

I’ll stop there, my mouth is watering already – good it’s not a fast day today 🙂

The only way to calculate the cals in home-cooked food is to use a calorie counter (online or book) to calculate the individual ingredients – I use fitday but it’s American so no good putting in aubergine or courgette unless you know it’s egg plant and zucchini!

Hi Humphrey, it will still be only an approx. calorie count unless you stick exactly to a recipe, most cooks tend to taste while cooking and decide it needs an extra dash of this and a dollop of that and before you know it you may have added plenty of extra calories without realizing it.
    This really is an international forum, the other day I had to google “chuffed to bits” (finding out it meant that someone was thrilled) and I’m learning to count weight in stone. Maybe the administrator should add a dictionary :). Seriously, a conversion chart stone/kg/lbs would be great. Love this place, not only do we get lots of support and information, we’re also learning from each other. Have a nice Sunday everybody!

Hi Kipkatzz,

If you use “myfitnesspal” app, you can put all your food recipies in and it will calculate for you and also save them for you.

I don’t always think it is spot on but gives you a good idea. Then you can have your smaller portions!

Hi Symba7, I am using myfitnesspal and just adding the calculated calories as you otherwise have to enter branded foods and I really dont use them. Anyway, I’ve only had one fast day so far, another tomorrow, so it’s early days and I guess I will get the hang of it. Trying to calculate the cals in my home-made braised red cabbage yesterday was hopeless though. Enough to make you loose your appetite, lol!

weightlossresources.co.uk allows you to convert any which way. There are lots of different sites. Cheers

kipkatzz, I calculate the calories in my home cooked food mostly using this site

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/

to look up the ingredients and add it all up. When I’m done, I’ll weight the whole dish on a kitchen scale and figure out if I can have half of it, or 40% of it, or whatever, depending on what else I’m having, and plate that amount for myself and leave the rest for my underweight son. It’s a bit tedious at first but if you like cooking and sharing good food with family I think it’s worth it, at least one fast day a week. The other fast day I might just have fish in a packet (with lemon or lime juice, scallions or herbs) with roasted vegetables (a teaspoon of olive oil, another of balsamic vinegar) and a small piece of fresh fruit (adding roasted potatoes for my son). The trick is to come up with tasty 300-calorie dinners using only a teaspoon of good oil or butter; I find that more fat than that tends to crowd out the fruit. Herbs and spices are my friends. I think if I was a professional at this I would know how much oil gets left behind in mixing bowls or in the cooking pot and could subtract that, but I’m not and so I don’t.

hi kipkatzz

“I will choose quality over quantity every time. ”

so so tru

i cook everything

& fresh versus cooked big difference in it

adding garlic butter creme fresh or

if it’s a pat a teaspoon or 1/2

or broth etc

now i use https://www.supertracker.usda.gov

because it is very specific it also lets u add combinations

so u can have ur whole meal counted & saved

i personally do not count the spices but that site does ugh

example

Cream, heavy (whipping cream) (known as creme fresh)

Choose an amount:
    1/2 a tablespoon

Total Calories: 26

example on ur cabbage alone

& there’s more

Cabbage, Chinese (Bok Choy), raw
    Cabbage, green, raw
    Cabbage, red, raw
    Cabbage, Chinese, cooked (no salt or fat added)
    Cabbage, green, cooked (no salt or fat added)
    Cabbage, red, cooked (no salt or fat added)
    Cabbage, Chinese (Bok Choy), cooked (with salt, no fat added)
    Cabbage, green, cooked (with salt, no fat added)
    Cabbage, red, cooked (with salt, no fat added)
    Cabbage, Chinese (Bok Choy), cooked (with salt and butter)
    Cabbage, Chinese (Bok Choy), cooked (with salt and margarine)
    Cabbage, Chinese (Bok Choy), cooked (with salt and vegetable oil)
    Cabbage, Chinese (Won Bok, Pe-tsai), cooked (no salt or fat added)
    Cabbage, Chinese (Won Bok, Pe-tsai), raw
    Cabbage, creamed
    Cabbage, fresh, pickled, Japanese style
    Cabbage, green, cooked (with salt and butter)
    Cabbage, green, cooked (with salt and margarine)
    Cabbage, green, cooked (with salt and pork fat)
    Cabbage, green, cooked (with salt and vegetable oil)

what i also like is u can instantaneously look @ ur nutrition of the day/weeks/months or the year

it really help choose things that r miissing maybe not enough b12 food or whatever

u can also copy ur great meal 2 other days so u don’t have 2 keep inputting

like ur great lamb meal w/ cabbage now u copy it because months
    from now or weeks from now ur like hmmmmm i think i’ll make that

again

hope it helps

happy gourmetfastdays & gourmetnonfastdays ♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

ps

they did not have bone marrow but i use neck-bones
    & changed the cals
    it lets u personalize if they don’t have it

Thanks so much for your reply, it is really helpful. I have had a lot of replies so I guess I’m not the first to encounter these issues 🙂

Hi Franfit, thanks for that – ive saved it in bookmarks. I have had a lot of encouraaging tips. Many thanks 🙂

Do you know how they measure how many calories a certain product contains? How did they find out that for example 100 grams raspberries contain 30 calories?

If you’re good with a computer you can use a spreadsheet to calculate what goes into your home cooked food.

This might sound complicated, but bear with me.

I have a list of all the ingredients I have used cooking to date on one sheet along with nutritional information per 100g; calories, fat, saturated fat, fibre and protein in separate columns. In the case of things like eggs, the data is for one egg with different rows for small, medium and large eggs.

The first column of the spreadsheet is ingredient name and the second quantity. I enter the weight (divided by 100g) or number of units (things like eggs) for a particular recipe into column 2.

Columns further to the right contain the quantity multiplied by each nutritional variable so I know how much total of each category I am adding to a recipe.

I then copy the row containing the calculated information for each ingredient I am going to be cooking with into a new spreadsheet.

At the top of each column in the new spreadsheet I have a sum formula which adds all calories, fat, etc together for a grand total.

Once the basic spreadsheet is set up it’s pretty easy to use. If I cook with a new ingredient I haven’t used before I add the nutritional information to the first spreadsheet for future reference.

For recipes I do regularly I work out how much of each nutritional variable 100g of the finished product contains and add the finished dish to my list of ingredients.

If folks are interested I’ll make a copy of the basic spreadsheets (with some example calculations) online so they can use it.

I’ll also put together some instructions for it.

Sarah

Hi there, I haven’t a clue, do you?

Hi Coffeegal, that does sound extrememly useful. I would love a copy. I think that this is the hardest part. A large part of my home cooking strategy is to use whatever I’ve got in the fridge. I’m big on veggies, but not steamed and watery, so in goes the butter, creme fraiche or whatever. I love roasted vegetables, and use my home made chilli oil for that.

I have just seen on the home page, I think, that some more books from Michael and Mimi are coming. Maybe they will address this issue? In the meantime, if you are able to make your spreadsheet available to me, I will be very grateful, best wishes!

I shall certainly sort it out in the next week and a bit. I’m a bit bogged down in paperwork for the next couple of days and I’m away all weekend. I’ll tidy it up to make it even easier to use and possibly add columns for carbohydrates (total), sugars and sodium.

It should work with Microsoft Excel and OpenOffice Calc.

Watch this space 🙂

Sarah

Sarah, that will be brilliant and I have both those software bits. I am sure that it will benefit a load of others too! Have a good week. 🙂

Ninna, the method generally used to measure the amount of energy in food is to use a piece of equipment called a calorimeter.

The food to be tested is placed inside a combustion vessel with an excess of oxygen. The food stuff is ignited electrically and the heat generated by burning the food in oxygen is absorbed by a water jacket surrounding the combustion chamber.

The temperarure rise of the water is measured and this can be used to determine how much energy was in the food initially.

This article is interactive and quite fun; http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/9834092339/student_view0/chapter48/bomb_calorimeter.html

Sarah

Thank you Kippkatzzip for bringing up a subject that’s been on my mind since I discovered the 5:2 diet a week ago and have just finished reading the book. I too don’t have much weight to loose (although I would benefit enormously from a little exercise and muscle toning!). I love cooking, and being of Indian extraction just cannot stand bland, boiled, uninteresting food. I’ve been wondering how to embark on this diet without having to resort to a slice of (processed) ham and a boiled egg for breakfast!

Is there anywhere on this site that readers have shared interesting home cooked recipes?

Hi I-know-I-can, I have moved on from this diet as it didn’t work well for me. I now follow a very low carb diet which allows for much more tasty foods but no bread, pasta, rice & potato. I really do not miss these things & love being able to have cream in my coffee, butter, cheese, eggs, in fact everything high fat. Cakes, biscuits & sweets are obviously off the menu & I do fail sometimes by eating butter mints which my husband has, and I have given up beer in favour of red wine, but generally, this low carb way of eating suits me much better. Good luck!

Hi Kipkatzz.

I am intrigued by your comments about following a diet which allows for much more tasty foods. No food is forbidden on 5:2, you can have whatever you wish but in smaller quantities.
    I love cooking, and my meals are all made in my kitchen from scratch. I eat a wide variety of food from various cuisines. My FD meals at the moment consist of vegetable curry made with a proper paste of onion garlic and ginger etc, sweet and sour chicken, pasta with a chicken and mushroom sauce. I make up batches and freeze them in 300 calorie portions, and as I save most of my calories for dinner, that allows for extra veg, or some rice or fruit and yoghurt. This can easily be adapted for feeding a family, as they could have either as a larger portion or extra rice, potatoes or pasta.
    I weigh each ingredient as it goes into whatever I’m making which doesn’t take much time or effort.
    I eat plenty of lean meat and fish. I prefer milk in my coffee, and I eat cheese butter and eggs regularly too.
    I keep the carbs low as I find it helps with weight loss, but I still eat cake and bread although I have given up bread for Lent.
    I also eat home made granola with fruit and yoghurt on non fast days.

I have used a few “healthy” recipes, but as someone who loves to cook, I’ve had no problem in adapting recipes to reduce the calorie content without an appreciable difference to the flavour of the finished dish.
    I would never have stuck to this way of eating if my food was bland or boring, and I’ve lost 4 stones so far without feeling deprived.

Hi Amazon, I’m glad the diet works well for you and my comments were not intended to sound critical. For myself, I do not need to loose weight but wanted to loose love handles and I have found that I am very carb intolerant and even one apple will cause a blood sugar spike, then fall and result in additional hunger and cravings. So I have solved my own problems by avoiding all starchy carbs, and as I love all food and, like you, cook everything from scratch, I am very happy eating all meats, fish, cheese, eggs, cream, butter etc and totally avoiding all the starch. This way, I use my own body fat for energy rather than stored glucose from carbs. Best wishes!

Stumble on that thread today.
    What a great idea to use a spreadsheet as a calorie counter tool. 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply.