How much and how long?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Madgey 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I was just wondering about the results of those who have been on the 5:2 for some time. I’m due to start fast No4 and am enjoying the ‘regime’ and was pleased with my first weigh-in where I lost 3.5lbs. However I have a long way to go and know it is going to take a long time and I’m prepared for that. I see this as a long-term life change and am also focused on health improvements, but was curious about how long it might take me to reach my optimum weight as from what I’ve read so far it does seem to be a very slow process (although I know this is the healthiest way to go – and will hopefully avoid the baggy-body look).

G’day BigDrop. I’ve been doing 5:2 very badly, meaning I don’t calorie count, and I fail to finish more fast days than I start, but I managed to lose 10kg, (83kg down to 73kg) between May and October last year. I’m a woman 163cm tall so 63kg would be a good fighting weight for me. Since Oct 2013 I’ve been hovering between 70 and 73kg. Now, with some resolution, I’m trying again to fast a little more religiously. It does seem that the closer you get to a goal weight the slower the loss becomes, and there are several reasons why people have plateaus. Although I do set myself targets, like Christmas and birthdays, I have one over-arching rule and that is to never weigh more than 73kg again in my life.

Simple maths really. If you were eating about the correct amount of kcal per week before hand, then you have:

pre 5:2 per week
    men: 2.5k * 7 = 17,500k
    woman: 2k * 7 = 14k

with 5:2 per week
    men: 2.5k * 5 + 600 * 2 = 13,700
    woman: 2k * 5 + 500 *2 = 11,000

Difference per week is:
    men: 3,800 = 1.08/lb per week
    woman: 3,000 = 0.85/lb per week

which probably explains why men get better results than women. of course if you were consuming more before hand then you will increase the reduction, particularly if 5:2 curbs your eating a little on non-fasting days.

Hi Bigdrop,

We are getting close to our goals, I am 2 stone down and hoping for another 7 lbs maybe, hubby is 2 stone down and maybe going for 7 lb to another stone, lost in 5 months.
    We have decided to continue until we stop loosing weight and let the diet settle where it should be. Then continue on 5.2 but with a bit of leeway and not too strict, depending how the weight is and not putting on. Keeping on with our 2 sessions of swimming a week.

Good luck to you

That sounnds good going symba7, especially as you didn’t have too much to lose to start with.I have a lot to lose but, until other diets, I don’t have the same sense of urgency to drop the pounds and I think that’s because I’m not feeling deprived because it’s only two days a week. Saying that, I would feel disappointed if I didn’t lose weight.

I was wondering how to maintain weight too, how would 6:1 work at preventing putting it back on?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.