How Long Have you done the 5:2 Diet?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
How Long Have you done the 5:2 Diet?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  shatters51 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

• I am sorry if this has already been posted, but I am curious to see if people have been on this diet for a long time? I am quite curious about its sustainability? I am now on my 5th week and have probably lost a total of 3 pounds, maybe more but I fluctuated a bit. I lost 5 pounds in four weeks, then gained back a couple. I haven’t weighed myself this week but will do so this evening. I am definitely looking for real results from all this reduction in calories. After all this sacrifice, I am hoping to look and feel better.

hi there,
    ive been doing a combination of 5:2 and 4:3 for one year on sept 3rd.
    have had 7 weeks off due to holidays but always looked forward to getting back on the plan. 35lbs down to date. including nearly 4 months where i lost no weight but inches were dropping off me. this is the longest ive ever been able to stick to any diet and see myself on it long term as part of a healthy lifestyle. xx

14 weeks, 12kg (26 pounds) and 2 dress sizes! Definitely seeing this as a long term way of life, hopefully backing off to 1 day a week when I reach my goal weight ( another 10kg to go)

I’m glad to hear your story fast for life. I want to lose 30lbs and I’m on 24lbs. I was stuck on 21 and 22 for 2 months and then last week 2.2 lbs came off. I’ve been at it for 6 months and about to go on holidays where I thought we’d do 6:1 for 2 weeks??
    You’re right though when I didn’t lose weight I lost 3 cms off my waist and 3 cms off my hips.
    My husband and I are both on 5:2 and have lost nearly exactly the same weight?? He’s been ahead for 2 months but I gained the advantage last week!!!

I’ve been doing this since the 1st week of August 2012 (the week the documentary first aired in the UK). So far I’ve lost 3 stone> (can’t be absolutely exact as I never took a start reading – that’s about 42lb).

As others have said I have plateaued a couple of times (weight wise) but have continued to lose inches etc. and as soon as I tweak the pattern a bit it seems to kick off the weight loss again. This is a long-term thing for me, I don’t intend to “eat normally” ever again as I find my current pattern really easy and comfortable to do.

Hi all, 9th week, lost nearly 2 stone, I’m doing 4:3 though and being careful on ‘feast’ days; it’s working for me though.

Hi All I’m doing 4:3 simply because I’ve loads of weight to get rid of.
    Have been on this WOL/WOE for. 20 weeks now
    I’ve lost 30 lbs
    Dropped. 3 sizes in clothing
    And down a group on my BMI starting at M/obese
    I’ve taken almost all my clothes to charity shops and bought a new. ”Interim ”
    Wardrobe and when I’ve dropped another 3 sizes they can also go to charity
    because I will never look back on this so called diet it has completely changed my life, I walk on all my 3 fast days started at 2 ml and now do 3 x 6 mile walks this I quickly found out to act as a suppressant for me ( I can use all the help I can get)
    Lucky for me I find fastdays easy mostly, I’ve set my ”goal ” considerably lower to see how I feel When I get there because I feel that at my age etc I’ll be happy with it, but I can always move the goalposts if I so wish. Having said that I’m amazed at the fat loss look I’m now seeing, truly unbelievable my shape has changed so much never before on ANY diet (and I’ve done them all ) have I seen such results.
    Hope my story so far has helped to inspire someone out there. Sue

I just started last week. This is my 2nd week day 1. It seems to go pretty easy. I have not weighed yet. I hope this works for me, I have tried several diet/eating habits with no luck. Weight Watchers worked last year I lost about 20 pounds and kept it off. I tried to re start the Weight Watchers plan and it is not working. I saw this book and had to read it and so far I love it! I will check back in a couple of weeks hopefully with some success to report!
    I love reading all the stories and good advice on here.

We are just starting our 6th week. Ive lost 7 lbs. Husband about 4 lbs. Finding it easier and easier.

Mine is coming off slowly but its coming off.

Week 12 – 5.1 kilos I think thats 11.24 lbs. I do a bit of weight lifting too. Photos show that my body shape is changing I take pics one a month, my tunny is shrinking which has always been the hardest to shift over the years.

Notably my blood pressure has returned to normal YAY!

I started yesterday, so I’m sort of a 5:2 virgin, as it were.
    🙂
    I’m really looking forward to seeing the results though.

Great to hear everyone doing so well. I’ve been doing this since April and have lost 7kgs-which I’m very happy about!
    I, like others have found there have been times I haven’t lost on the scales but think my body must be taking ‘time out’ for readjustment 🙂 I do seem to tone/muscle up a bit during these times and have more energy- might be a message to up the exercise?
    I too find the fast days so easy I can see myself doing this forever.

It is really good to see people doing so well. I know scientific statistics are important but it’s good to hear people’s own stories. It really keeps me going. Although comfy speaking in real life I’m a bit shy on a forum. Am loving this way of life, Have lost 17lbs in 7 weeks am enjoying being more active and have just started wearing my blue size 16s again. Feels good! I had been wearing my size 18 grey jeans for over a year (in between washes obviously)and am sick of the sight of them lol My 22 year old son is starting on 5:2 also as he sees the difference this is making to me. Thanks for keeping me going and being the hero in your own stories.

Started week 25 yesterday. Have gone from 207 pounds to 188 pounds. Loss of 18 pounds. August was a pretty flat month, but in September the pounds have fled once again. The bottom line is: Keep doing it.

Been doing it for a year 🙂
    http://www.the52dietplan.com/52-weeks-on-the-5-2-diet/

You can also get an idea of how long people have been doing it by checking out the forum stats here (see the pie chart for ‘length of time on diet’)
    http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/tracker.php?p=stats

Hi Arielle

The key to the success of this eating plan is in its sustainability in my view. I have been living this way since the beginning of this year (with just two weeks off for holidays). I have never broken a fast day as I say to myself I can just make it till midnight.

Like most others, I have tried all sorts of diets in the past and never stuck to anything for this long. In fact, if I didn’t do it I would miss the clean feeling on a fast day and the wonderful taste of food the day after.

My progress has been slow but sure and I have fluctuated and hit plateaux as I have gone. No matter, it’s working long term and that’s what I care about.

The other important aspect of this lifestyle is the flexibility it gives you. I have experimented a little and now settled on a full 24 fast (black coffee, herbal tea and lots of water only) from about 8pm to 8pm. Then my 500 max calorie supper, then an early night and breakfast at 7ish next morning. This ensures I sleep better.

I wish you well with discovering what works best for you.

Ten weeks…minus 4 weeks on holiday…so actually this makes my 6th week on the diet. Will weigh in again this Saturday…but have lost an average of 2 pounds a week 🙂 And I love how you can drop it on holiday and enjoy yourself and then pick it right back up!

Since May 2013.
    I think of it as a way of life now. The fast days are easier, the other five (I refuse to call them feast or eat days!)are enjoyable with no guilt about whatever I eat. I have noticed my eating patterns have changed as I sometimes skip a meal because I am not hungry.
    As Carla says it is so flexible – I have been lucky enough to enjoy 2 cruises since July with no lasting damage. 🙂

I have been on the 5:2 for 5 weeks using Monday and Friday as the fast days and have lost 17 lbs. so far so good.

Arielle, I have been 5:2-ing for 5 weeks and have lost 7-1/2 stubborn pounds. A pound or pound and a half a week is a good rate of weight loss because it *is* sustainable. It seemed like I gained a pound this week but that’s only because it seemed like I lost 4 pounds last week, which I knew was not possible, some of it had to have been water weight lost because I was sick. So I’m looking at the whole 5 weeks, not just one isolated week.

yes Annie and others: This program seems to be very sustainable. Not only can we be flexible about our days but overtime the program seems to get much easier. I have been doing this for a couple of months now, and I feel great. It is something that I could keep up with or try the 6:1 option, if I feel it is necessary. Super excited that I gave this a shot on a whim. I never do dieting but I happened to hear Dr. Mosley on Rachel Ray and thought about giving this a try out of absolute frustration. So frustrated that an increase in exercise wasn’t working for me, and I really like my food! This gives me the option to restrict just a few days a week and coast the rest of the week. Like everyone says, typically most people don’t go crazy and eat a massive amount of calories the rest of the week. I’ve found even the opposite to be true on my remaining five days. I’m less hungry and have fewer urges to consume massive calories. I do enjoy the food much more but I don’t tend to consume a lot more than normal. I can also go several hours feeling hungry and it doesn’t kill me. This is the best thing that has happened to me in a while!

I have been on it for 2 months, 1 week off due to vacation… I have not checked the scale and wont for a while… Question, what do some of you eat on the other 5 days, cuz I am a junk food junkie!!

I’ve been at it since August 7 2013. So closing in on a year now. I have lost almost 50 pounds. I was on a plateau these last 2 months – nothing moving!! So I started some of the HIT fast exercises and lost 4 pounds all at once. I feel like I can do this forever. I am on my 3rd set of clothing – and just shopping at charity shops for the interim. You have to realize as you lose weight you have to adjust your eating and fasting day calories. Especially if you have to lose a lot over a long period of time. Also the weight loss slows from the heady excitement of the first 3 months or so. Just don’t be discouraged.

I’ve done 8 fasts now in 4 weeks and lost 8.8 pounds.
    Today was a milestone having reached 10.5 stone in weight for the first time in 20 years. My target is 10 stone and I have not been that since my 20’s.

I’ve been doing this for 4 weeks; as of today, I’ve lost 11 pounds….I’m not finding it as difficult as I thought it might be 🙂

14 1/2 months and down 29kg. I’ve been in the normal BMI range since the end of January….for the first time in my life.

I’ve been losing slower, due to life and having less to lose. Working on the last 3kg.

Hi Arielle,

I think you raise a very good question and I think the answer is very personal, and it is really interesting to read what others have gone through. I would say that you should listen to your body and it will probably tell you what the right thing to do is. I started out on this to shed some unnecessary kilos but mainly for the longevity aspects having seen Mosley’s documentary (which I actually stumbled across by chance). I have fasted for 20 months now, 12 months of 5:2 and 8 months of 6:1. For me 5:2 felt unsustainable after those 12 months. I just felt instinctively that it was time to change regime – I felt drained and my body felt rather sluggish than refreshed after a day of fasting, which was the perfect opposite of how I initially felt on 5:2. I reached my weight goal relatively quickly (I only had a couple of kilos I really wanted to get rid of) so it kind of made sense. I had never been able to get rid of that extra weight with anything else I did but 5:2 was different. I therefore hung on until the end of the 12 months period, had my blood test which was really pleasing to see and then went on to 6:1. For me, 6:1 really feels sustainable and although I am not losing weight any more, there is the other aspect that many describe: although your weight may not continue to go down, you look clearly leaner. I do not understand how that could be 🙂 – but it is satisfying!

Eleven months, lost 80lbs. Started with a BMI of 42. Expect to need to keep going for the best part of one year more.

Hi Arielle. I began 5:2 the first day of Lent this year. Lost 12 pounds so far but even better than that, I’m exercising regularly like I used to, which is something I need to be committed to. I have 20 more pounds to lose, but not dwelling on numbers. It will come off, eventually, with my new lifestyle change. Good luck to you.

Really interesting to read your answer. I have been on 5:2 since January and have lost all the weight I wanted to, about 10 pounds but a massive 15 inches so am delighted but a bit afraid to stop 5:2 as am post menopause and this has been a hard slog to get my waist and hip measurement back.
    I am wondering if I need to increase my eating on my 5 days as I still find 2 fast days quite easy so why not change it? To me it is a bit of insurance against over eating as weekends tend to be heavier days.
    It is good to hear that you are not putting on weight on 6:1 I may do that in winter as I think when cold I crave more food than in the Summer.

I started 5:2 in Feb 2013 when my weight got to 100.6 Kg. Generally I found it much less challenging that I expected having never really dieted. I stopped for 7 weeks in Dec/Jan whilst in Australia, but continued daily exercise and reached 86.5 Kg. Having then had a shoulder reconstruction in March which has severely curtailed my canoeing exercise, and my daughters and gran children staying from Australia, my weight slowly crept up to 93.9Kg 2 weeks ago. I did a crash fast, 4:3 last week and 3:4 this week, and was 88.5Kg last night. To me that is quite impressive, the comparative ease with which I was able to shed 5 kilos, much quicker than losing those 5Kg first time round. I am so used to fasting days, that for my partner and I it is a way of life, she is just on a holding fast as she has reached her preferred weight. We have combined 5:2 with a ban on alcohol on Mon thru Thurs, and regular exercise, I have taken up running as I can’t paddle at the moment, enough of a challenge at 63 but not going too badly. It is a way of eating that I would recommend to anyone

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply.