How long before admitting failure?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
How long before admitting failure?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

• I’ve been on the 5:2 for nine weeks, but have not seen significant weight loss so far (currently averaging 0.25 kg/week, with negative loss in the most recent week). I’m wondering how long I can keep this up, as I find the fast days quite challenging. I have been meticulous with the calorie load on fast days, and have not over-compensated outside them. According to WHO guidelines, I am in the region of 30 kg overweight, so it’s not that I’ve got no weight to lose.

I also have around 30kg to lose and i”m losing a little faster than you. But not vy much. You might just be a slow loser.

Do you keep track of EVERYTHING you eat on non fast days? You might be eating more than you think. I eat around 400 calories on fast days and try and stick below 1300 on non fast days.

It’s frustrating losing weight so slowly especially when, like me, you have so much to lose. I just try and remember that I certainly didn’t put the weight on quickly. I’ve set my self the goal of reaching my goal weigt of 70kg by the end of this year. I hate to think that I need to be dieting for the next 9 and a half months (i love my food) but I started 2015 at 110kg and I now weigh 101kg so at least i’ve made some slow progress. Can’t wait to get back in to my skinny jeans. And i’m hoping to gave lost enough weight by the summer to wear some of my summer dresses. Small reachable goals are easier than thinking about the entirety of the task.

Without more information this is tough to answer. What foods are you eating on non-fast days? Also- do you have an excercise program in place? It sounds like you are losing- although very slowly. This can be expected if you are simply creating a caloric defecit without added excercise. My suggestion would be to include 2–3 cardio sessions into your plan each week as well as 1-2 weight lifting sessions (bodyweight excercises are great). If you do these things you should see your overall weight loss increase dramatically. BTW- if i’m getting hungry on a fast day I have a quick green tea. It totally curbs my hunger pangs. Hope this helps!

Almost forgot- if you don’t have the Myfitnesspal app on your phone— you should! It’s free and makes it very easy to track food intake and total caloric goals.

Thanks to both of you for your words of support – it has given me the motivation to persist. I do realize that this is a long-term thing; I’d just be a bit more motivated if initial results had been more encouraging.

To Eluminadia: I don’t keep track of what I eat on non-fast days, but (in keeping with Dr Moseley’s book) ‘eat normally’. I certainly don’t over-indulge. I think if I had to count calories all the time I would lose heart quite quickly.

To Jetsman21: No, no exercise regime in place as yet, but it’s in the pipeline. I don’t have a smartphone, but I appreciate the green tea tip: will give it a try.

If you aren’t losing weight then you are eating too much, and most likely what you think of normal is what got you to 30kg overweight in the first place.
    I had to count calories for a few weeks in order to work out how much I could eat on non fast days, and what a normal portion of food looked like. It is worth the effort because once you adjust to that the weight will come off.

I k ow from experience how discouraging it can be to not be losing much. Especially for those of us who enjoy our food.

Like Jetsman21 said excersice will probably be the way to lose quicker. Also have you tried taking your measurments? Sometime you might lose a few cm off your waist without seeing much change on the scales. It might be a good way to help keep you motivated.

Counting calories is a pain but it might be worth doing it for a few days just to get a general idea. It is so much easier with some of the apps that are now available but if you don’t have a smartphone i does make it a bit harder. I do think that My fitness pal have a website so you could possibly note down what you eat and the how much throughout the day and then log it into the site at the end of the day. It’ll automatically calculate the cals for you. It’s possible that just a few simple changes will help give you a boost.

Also have you thought about doing and extra fast day? It might help give you a bigger calorie deficit.

And asx jetsman said green tea through out the day really takes the edge of hunger. I tend to drink it on my non fast days as well including a big mug before meals as it helps me fill up sooner and I end up eating less.

I really hope you can find your rhythm with this diet and get to see some great results.

Thanks to both. Yes, it’s possible that I’ve been (a bit, but not that much) over-eating long-term. Rhe MyFitnessPal website looks very useful. I’ll report back in May 😉

Just wanted to add – thanks to Eluminadia for the recommendation for the MyFitnessPal website. Its calorie/diet tracker seems first-rate.

I’m so glad you found the website useful and hope you can jump start your weight loss by using it

Amazon was right. Tracking everything (oh so tedious!) on MyFitnessPal showed that I was going over my required levels by a couple of hundred calories/day – not portion control problems, but a susceptibility to ‘nibbles’ 😉

Now back on track: overall weight loss is now 10.3 lbs after eleven weeks, 3″ off waist, and I am much more optimistic, so thanks to all of you.

Hi there!

Great news! We all want support and success on this site!:) one other tip for what it’s worth. I find drinking chicken bouillon (low sodium) very helpful! There is this spring vegetable soup by Lipton. It’s 45 calories. Has a few veggies and noodles, fairly helpful in warding off hunger when not in the mood for tea…

Good to know. I did try green tea as an appetite suppressant, but could not stomach it, even when sweetened with a bit of Stevia. I do find the fast days challenging: last night I realized that I was too hungry to get to sleep, and had to resort to a plain yoghurt – although I waited till a minute past midnight. What seems to work best for me is to get through the day with fluids (juice of a lemon topped up with sparking water, 12 calories), then eat at least 500 calories at about 8 pm. But everyone’s reaction to hunger will be different.

The loss so far has been achieved without increasing exercise. I will be on holiday in a couple of weeks, and plan to suspend the diet while I am away (it is a holiday, after all). *But* I will be walking at least five miles every day unless it’s pouring. It will be interesting to see what effect that has on weight, BMI and BFI (a more useful measure than BMI).

In case anyone’s interested, I’m using Omron BF511 scales, which weight, BMR, BMI, BFI, muscle percentage and visceral fat, as well as their change from the previous measurements and an indication of desirable values. They are good value for money and seem to be accurate.

Hi PB,

Well done 🙂

It is so easy to fail to notice what can be a very large number of calories if you take your eye off the ball, and most of us succumb to it at some point. It happened to me after a few weeks of losing weight with no issues and I counted every calorie for a month which got me back on track.

I also find it easier to consume only liquids until dinner on FDs as once I start eating I want to continue, which interestingly only happens on FDs. When I know I can have something else I don’t want it!
    It also means that I can have a substantial sized meal.

I’ve tried and failed to enjoy green tea, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I would rather drink water.

I don’t weigh myself very often as I know this is working and that there is a way to go yet. The general trend is down, and that is what we all want isn’t it 😛

Yup, for sure. I do weigh myself weekly, but really only because I’m a bit of an Excel freak who likes graphs. On current trend I should hit my target weight next summer assuming I keep it up. I probably won’t go that far – my GP thinks it’s too much to lose – but any significant loss is a benefit.

What I didn’t post is the side effects, all good. I feel as if I have more energy, and I sleep better. However, this may also have a lot to do with a less punishing lifestyle: I operated a part-time bakery business from home for the six years up to last October, which robbed me of enough sleep. These days I only bake once or twice a week.

One issue with the fast diet, and what probably caused me to post in the first place, is that weight loss is gradual, and so from week to week the loss (or otherwise) can be of the same order as the inevitable errors in weighing: as an engineer would put it, the significant data can get lost in the noise. Maybe you have a better approach: once a month might be a better plan.

It was great when I was losing 2lbs per week, but now there isn’t as much to lose it has slowed down, and some weeks there is no change which can be disheartening, so depending on my mood, I might not bother weighing myself as I can tell by my clothes what is happening.
    Some people including some of the more experienced 5:2ers who are now on maintenance swear by weighing daily, so it is a matter of what suits the individual.
    Your graph will show a trend, and that will be downwards!
    I am fitter and healthier than I’ve been for most of my adult life and I plan on staying that way.
    As far as how much you need to lose is concerned, you won’t know until you get closer to the 30kg loss. You may want to stop before then or you may look at yourself and decide you need to lose a little more.

Yes, the trend is satisfyingly downwards now, with 10 kg loss in sight for September. This means that 5:2 is both the first diet I’ve stuck with, and the first diet that’s worked for me. (I have awful memories of the Cambridge Diet, and as for the Cabbage Soup Diet – well, who needs friends?)

My personal feeling is that daily weighing might lead to over-obsession with weight, at least for me, and depression if one seems to have put it on, even if it’s only because of what I read rather tactfully described elsewhere as ‘food in transit’ 😉

The great thing about 5:2 is that it equips people with the tools and experience to put things right painlessly if a bit of weight is gained. But I’m not going to read any of the maintenance stuff until much later – I don’t want to tempt Providence.

A good thing for fast days is protein, makes you feel full longer. I have a 3 egg omelette, three slices of bacon and half a tin of plum tomatoes on fast days around 2.00pm, which is the time I am starting to get hungry, and gives a total of under 500 calories. Lasts me all day.

Don’t have any carbs or you will get a sugar high followed by a sugar low about three hours later and the hunger to eat more carbs. The list includes bread, pasta, cereals, potatoes, apples, bananas and anything with sugar in, including fat free yoghurts and even those probiotic yoghurts.

Keep a diary journal for a month. I mean everything that goes in your mouth.

I found an Excel spreadsheet that helped and it gets pretty easy once you add in your own foods. It’s a bit tricky if you don’t know excel at all.

http://excel-example.com/templates/calories-carbohydrates-proteins-fats-fiber-diary-excel

The easiest way to work it is find out what your BMR and TDEE should be for what you should weigh. Not what you weigh now but your goal weight. Stay inside that TDEE and you will lose weight. Nice thing is once you reach your goal weight in XX months you won’t have to go to maintenance because you’ve been doing it all along.

Hi – reporting back here. I’m now 7.3 kg (16 lbs) down since January, and sticking with it despite finding some fast days very hard. And this is with breaks of two weeks holiday during which I suspended the diet, and one long weekend away, ditto. My next target is 10 kg loss, which will be late July by current predictions.

Reporting back again: diet went very well in 2015 and I peaked at 17 kg loss in early March. However, since then I seem to have hit a plateau at 92-93 kg despite following 5:2 pretty closely. I track kcals in and kcals out (Fitbit One/MyFitnessPal.com), so I know that my adherence to the diet is close to that when I was losing weight more rapidly. I really want to get below 90 kg.

Any advice welcome.

Better news is that I’ve hit my first major target, of waist <= half height (9 inch/22 cms loss), and visceral fat down from 21% to 14%, although now bounced back to 15%.

Hi Porky:

If you have been on a plateau for that long and have kept track of your calories in and out, then you know your TDEE. You have to eat less than your TDEE to lose weight. Here are some comments on plateaus that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/

Good Luck!

That’s a useful thread: many thanks.

Hi Porky, wonderful that you didn’t give up and have continued to keep at it. I look forward to reading future posts on your journey. Good luck!

My partner has type 2 diabetes and decided to try the diet to help with weight loss and blood sugar levels. To make life easier I decided to go on the same diet: my partner has lost 22 pounds over 16 months, I have lost 3 pounds and we eat exactly the same. There must be some sort of ‘X’ factor needed to make this diet work – which I don’t have and my partner does! Keep trying, you might be one of those for whom it works. My partner has found that his blood sugar levels have come right down, so if it helps with diabetes it must be doing some good! Best of luck

Hi Frustrated:

5:2 works by cutting calories out of your diet. If you eat 500 or fewer twice a week, and your TDEE or less five times a week, you have to lose weight.

As you have really not lost any weight over 16 months, it would appear you may be overeating on either your diet and/or non diet days.

I would count calories for a week or so to identify any issues you may have.

Here are some other tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

There are some threads on this site dealing with type 2 diabetes that may have some helpful information.

Good Luck!

Frustrated, it sounds as though the diet is working for your partner, which is great. However, he might also be interested in researching the Newcastle Diet, which is aimed specifically at those with Type II Diabetes. This is discussed in the thread ‘Medical conditions and fasting’. See also http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2015/10/type2diabetes/.

Otherwise I agree with simcoeluv; that was my problem at the start. You can only find out what’s going on through detailed calorie tracking. It’s really, really tedious, but it worked for me. MyFitnessPal, which is free, helps a lot with this, and works on smartphones too. Better still, the latest generation of Fitbits integrate with MyFitnessPal, so you have all your calorie inputs and outputs in one place. The Fitbit support software is excellent.

Sadly, we all consume more calories than we realize, or so studies have suggested. Ignoring alcoholic drinks, for example, is a common issue: alcohol contains a *lot* of calories. Life is tough 😉

Hi Frustrated,

You say that you eat exactly the same as your partner. Are you talking portion size as well? Unless you are the same sex, same weight, same age, and do the same amount of exercise that’s not going to work. Actually even if it was genetics comes into it as well. You need to find the correct foods and portions for you, not for the collective pair of you and your partner.

There is no magic involved, if youre not losing weight then your intake matches your expenditure. Id tend to suggest that you have unwittingly increased your non fast day intake to compensate for your fast days.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply.