How calories work?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  galexinda 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Hi everyone,

McDonald’s Big Mac sandwich calories is about 500 according to some websites. Now, does that mean eating two Big Macs and nothing but water throughout the day works as a 1000 calories diet?

Yup – that is how it works!

Of course two Big Macs alone doesn’t provide all the vitamins and minerals you need to remain healthy so it isn’t advisable to eat just those on any sort of a long term basis. There are also ways to get 500kcal that will give you a LOT more to eat.

Breakfast:
    1 slice wholewheat bread: 70kcal
    1 scrambled egg: 100kcal

Lunch:
    1 medium baked potato: 120kcal
    4oz can of baked beans: 100kcal
    1oz grated cheese: 100kcal

Snack:
    Medium Banana: 100kcal

Dinner:
    3/4 cup tortellini pasta + 1/2 cup marinara sauce with 1 cup steamed mixed Veg
    Total 366kcal

Evening snack:
    1 cup low fat hot chocolate 40kcal.

That lot adds up to about 1000kcal and would be more nutritious and a lot more filling than 2 BigMacs.

Yes it would but a) 1000 calories per day is a VERY low calorie diet unless you are tiny. b) 2 Big Mac’s would not only fail to provide the vitamins & nutrients your body needs longterm but it would also leave you pretty hungry pretty quickly.

You might lose weight but you’ll be very unhealthy.

Thanks everyone. Will I still lose weight if I drink Coke Zero (0 Calories) in my diet?

Coke Zero (by definition) has Zero calories, so yes Mas11 you can drink it if you want to. I’m sure other members will chip in with their views on reasons why you might want to consider a more natural alternative but I find that a treat of a sweet tasting zero calorie soft drink is a great boost on fasting days.

Thanks!

Here is an update:

I have been doing 700 calories diet since I posted this topic. My weight went from 224 lbs to 209 today, in only 20 days! I do not do workouts, just some daily activities.

I would like to mention that 80% of the days I eat veggies sandwich in a whole-grain toast with a cup of orange juice as breakfast (300 calories). and grilled salmon fillet (using george foreman grill that reduces the fat by 40%) with half cup rice cooked with only water and spices, without any oil, as lunch. Sometimes if I feel hungry in the night I eat a medium size banana, or I may not eat anything at all. Furthermore, I drink atleast 2-3 cups of green tea everyday instead of water.

Update:

I am still on my diet, my weight went from 224 to 199 lbs today, in just 1 month and 1 week! Will continue updating from time to time. Best wishes to all of you.

Update:
    May 29 2015: Still on my diet, its currently about 179. Note: I did eat a lot for 2 weeks in April during my final exams but I got back after that.

Wow, Mas11, you’re doing so well! Congratulations!

I hope you aren’t surviving on Big Macs and Coke Zero 😉

Please do not continue drinking diet drinks of any kind. Lots of research is now available on the internet proving the dangers. It seems to be even worse for you than the sugary drinks
    http://time.com/3746047/diet-soda-bad-belly-fat/
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

I wish I had known this years ago.

Good Luck!

Thanks MaryAnn and Applepie for your comments. I do not drink soda anymore except once a week because I have one day per week that I am allowed to eat in the restaurant. I drink water instead! Will try to update here whenever I make progress.

Fantastic results already so whatever you’re doing is definitely working for you. I have one coke Zero per day as my only other beverage is water. sometimes I have a soda water to make it a long drink – very refreshing. There seems to be this assumption that people who drink diet sodas crave carbs and have bigger waistlines – definitely not true in my case. I used to drink regular coca cola and now just one sip makes my jaws ache!! In the winter months I have a daily hot cocoa drink. I have lost 9lbs in five weeks and that is mostly from making healthy choices and portion control. So nice to be able to eat anything – no food restrictions, points etc but even so to lose weight you need to keep below your TDEE on feast days. As I said at the beginning you’re getting great results and are very positive – well done!

Coke zero?????!!!!! Rather you than me. Best of luck with that.

Yes it would but a) 1000 calories per day is a VERY low calorie diet unless you are tiny. b) 2 Big Mac’s would not only fail to provide the vitamins & nutrients your body needs longterm but it would also leave you pretty hungry pretty quickly.[url=http://runninginfoguide.com/best-running-shoes-for-flat-feet-flat-footed-solutions/]foot pain caused by flat feet[/url] may cause of use of different un necessary products.

The truth is after the first two weeks of my 700 calories diet, I don’t feel pretty hungry anymore! I just got used to my diet and would not eat more than two (250-300 calories) meals a day, mostly proteins for exercising.

I have just checked the analysys on my Food Log for the past month and my average daily calories works out at 845 per day. I also never feel hungry and have 2 – 3 meals a day, but must add that most of the food is vegetables or salad which is filling and hopefully giving me lots of nutrients. I also drink litres of water (no other beverages) so feel one Coke Zero isn’t going to do much harm!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply.