HIT

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bcjmmac 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• 68 year old man. Do a lot of walking. But it sounds interesting to try HIT.
    After 20 sec max (on the bicycle). How long do you rest before the next 20 sec?

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/tabata.htm
    Link to one established method.

I personally use a routine that I found a few years ago after seeing Moseley do HIIT training & a DNA test. The routine I use is warmup, 30 seconds max, 90 seconds low resistance, 30 seconds max, etc. I try to do 4 spells of max. I find that 30 seconds equates to about 13 deep breathes.
    Lately, as per link, 20 seconds max with 10 second recovery periods appears to be the recommendation, but that seems geared to top athletes.
    No matter what timing you use, you will need to work up to a full session. After the X’Mas break, my legs were like jello by end of 3rd sprint (I use a spin cycle stationary bike). Even when accustomed to the workout, it takes a while to recover.

Hope this helps.

I allow long enough to stop puffing and let my breathing return to normal – that’s about 90 seconds for me. If I don’t do this, then I can’t go flat out for the next 20 seconds.

I normally do aerobic training in the morning before I eat, but went after breakfast today due my schedule. As well, normally do HIIT (biking) on the days I do weight training but didn’t yesterday as I felt too weak (went before eating yesterday & didn’t have energy).
    Anyhow, elliptical was OK for first 20 minutes but was struggling to keep going after that so decided to do HIIT. Tried 20 seconds with 1 minute breaks. Did 4 & found it much easier than my normal 30 seconds/1.5 minute routine – last 10 seconds of a 30 second sprint are killers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.