HIT and/or Fast Strength

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Martie 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I’ve been doing HIT three days a week. I’ve also been doing the Seven Minute Workout on the other three or four days. Is this too much, or about right? Thanks:)

As long as you use different muscle groups on the different days you should be fine. HIT/HIIT should stress muscles and typically muscles need at least 48 hours to recover from stress if you are trying to get stronger.

Depends what youre trying to achieve Martie? Doing HIIT properly is not pleasant, far from it. If you can sustain the activity for more than 30 seconds then its probably not HIIT. I end my 50km bike rides with 2 x 20 second bursts of HIIT. This is 100% flat out empty the tank of what little energy I still have left and pedal as fast as I can go. I feel physically ill as I pull up in my driveway and get off the bike. Id definitely give yourself a day in between doing the HIIT activity as dykask suggested.

Thanks. I don’t have any spare money at the moment (at all!) so I can’t afford an exercise bike. That said, I’ve got an old rowing machine which I’ve been using for HIT. It’s not ideal but it’s all I have so I do 90 seconds flat-out, rest for two mins and do this four times (which I will build up). I do feel like I’ve done something but it certainly doesn’t make me feel ill or anything.

Maybe I should just leave out the seven minute workout? Or have a week doing one and then a week doing the other and then alternate (always leaving two days in-between).

I also do slow burn with weights twice a week but I don’t feel that either the HIT or seven minute workout are anywhere near as thorough as that (I’m talking purely in terms of muscle toning) as the latter feel more like cardiovascular type exercises. Still, I don’t want to be either over (or under) doing it…?

You need to up the speed and or resistance on the rowing machine. You shouldn’t be able to do HIIT for 90 seconds. You should be 100% anaerobic and not aerobic, and that is sustainable for about 30 seconds. It should help deplete your muscle glycogen stores. Not sure it will build all that much lean tissue. You want to build lean tissue than that is resistance training. Weights and reps. If you’re right on the limit of resistance training then your muscles should feel sore and Id be doing very light work the next day or two to recover and probably having a little bit more protein.

When I do an easy bike ride I don’t crave protein. When Ive pushed right on my limit for a 2 hour ride I usually crave protein afterwards. Good luck with it.

Thanks bigbooty.

I might try save up so I can buy an affordable exercise bike (any suggestions?), as my very basic rowing machine isn’t really ideal.

What’s the difference between anaerobic and aerobic?

I practice Slow Burn (slow weight bearing) twice a week to gently build muscle tissue, which I’m used to doing now so am happy with that.

I guess I shouldn’t do HIT and Fast Strength exercise (Seven Minute Workout) alternate days, which is virtually what I’ve been doing. I think I’ll stick with the slow burn (for muscle building) and then do HIT or Fast Strength exercise three times a week, preferably with a bike!

Does that sound better?

Thanks again 🙂

@marty. Im by no means an expert in any of this physiology stuff. Just enough to be dangerous. What are you actually trying to achieve with all this exercise? Muscle tone? Weight loss? Fitness? Mental health and well being? Exercise is good for all of these things but the weight loss should be treated as a minor benefit. Proper diet will account for probably 90% and exercise 10%.

I have a real bike not an exercise bike. Riding my bike is my “happy place”. So I ride for all of the reasons above.

Aerobic just means you need oxygen (breathing) to burn your fuel. Anaerobic means you burn the fuel without oxygen (breathing not required).You have 3 basic energy systems. Two are anaerobic. ATP-PCr. This is stored within the cells and is absolutely immediately supplied. 5 to 20 seconds worth. Then you flip over to lactic acid LA system and start consuming glycogen (stored glucose) in the muscles. 30s to 2 min at max effort. Then you swap over to an aerobic system. It draws on stored glucose (glycogen) but needs oxygen to burn it. This lasts for about 1-2 hours. Then you swap over to burning fats. This process is a lot slower than burning glycogen.

So if you are maxing out you really shouldn’t be able to last for more than 30 seconds before the effort drops. Then you should be able to last about 2 minutes. After that you are spent. Operating at max effort empties your glycogen stores. During recovery you go to the “fat bank”, to top up the glycogen stores again. Operating at such a level, basically beyond 100% is very unpleasant. I basically finish off my bike rides doing 2 x 20 second bursts. It is not pleasant but its good for the soul. I only do this once per week.

Id be alternating between resistance training and HIIT to give your system time to replenish. With a days break in between.

The link has a bit about the 3 energy burn systems.

https://semiprocycling.com/energysystems

Thanks bigbooty for the excellent information. I haven’t had the chance to look at it properly yet, but I will do and will no doubt be back…

And just to say, my main objective is general health and wellbeing with a little weight loss (which I am working on via diet).

Thanks again…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.