Hi from South London

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Data 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Im in my third week of 5:2 and finding the calorie counting and cooking to be a pain as my wife usually feeds me.

Is it just as beneficial to just have an apple and lots of tea and coffee on my fasting days?

Hi Big Bobby,

Yes and no. Tea and coffee without milk should be zero calorie, but the apples aren’t going to give you any protein, which is recommended for fasting days.

I too hate counting calories so 9.5 years ago I worked out 2 separate meal plans for the fasting days and I’ve just stuck to them ever since, as I’m not that fussed about having much variety. In winter I start off with a small helping of porridge with blueberries, in summer its granola, yoghurt and blueberries. Lunch is just some fruit in a small helping – maybe strawberries when in season, but otherwise 2 kiwi fruit or a couple of medium size apples. For dinner, one day I have 2 poached eggs on a slice of unbuttered toast; the other day I have 2 slices of bacon, and a small helping of baked beans on unbuttered toast. (And sometimes when we’ve had a really hot summer like this year I stick to salad in the evening – and in fact that’s the same meal as on non-fasting days. With a bit of quiche and pork pie or sausage roll its quite possibly a bit more than I should have, but it still seems to work ok.)

The above has proven to take minimal effort and and has also been very sustainable over almost a decade.

Hope this helps.

(FYI – calorie amounts assigned to different foods are averages only and, in the UK, labelled calories are legally allowed to be up to 20% out from what the food actually contains – so getting too hung up on exact calorie counting is probably a waste of time anyway. As long as you are eating a lot less on your fast days the approach should still work.)

Best of luck with it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.