Hi Everyone – new Mum needs your help

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi everyone!

I’m really excited to start the 5:2 way of eating today. I’m a stay at home mum of 2 tiny people, and like many women in their early 30s, I’ve experimented with various diet plans with varying degrees of success before. I’m at the point now where I have 1.5 stone to lose. I wondered if there’s anyone in a similar position who could offer advice in three main areas…

Firstly, I’m still breastfeeding my youngest (16m) and I know there’s a caveat saying the plan isn’t suitable for breastfeeding mothers but I was hoping because he’s a bit older now and doesn’t rely on me for much of his nutritional demands now (mostly comfort feeding) that it might be okay.

Secondly, I have identified that my main binge/over eating trigger is tiredness. I’m up 3-4 times a night with my youngest so come 3-4pm I find myself reaching for the bread bin! Any tips for quick energy boosts on both FD and NFD?

Last one now – I have a rather ambitious plan to do some exercise/HIIT every evening. I say ambitious because when I’ve got the kids in bed and tidied up, etc, it’s as much as I can do to stay awake to read a few pages of a book some days! I’m hoping eating better will give me more energy overall. Ideally I’d exercise earlier in the day but that’s not possible as I don’t have anyone I can ask to look after my children. Any tips for quick and appealing evening workouts?

Thanks so much for reading – any advice gratefully received!

Hi Nothinglikethesun,
    Welcome here,

I think you are right that now your youngest is 16 months old, your 5:2ing shouldn’t stop her from getting her sustenance.

I know this is dreadfully hard for someone with two little kids, but the best tip for successful 5:2ing will be planning.
    Work out how you think your fast day will work best for you. Don’t expect to get it right first time, remember this is for your long term health, so you just keep adjusting when and what you eat until you can fit it into your life well. We are all different and you will have to find out what works for you.

Every time you look at the breadbin, say “I can do anything for just one day”.

And I am afraid planning is my best tip for non fast days too! Try to make sure you have good healthy meals and if you must have snacks, that they are good too.
    I know you want to go gangbusters, but it might even be worth starting at 800 calories on fast days and then go lower once you are confident with what works.

Decide if you will manage best wish small snacks through the day, or a couple of meals, or one meal. If you have it all planned in advance it will be easier to pace yourself.

Don’t forget to have lots of drinks.

Let us know how you are going. Sending you good wishes.

Hello Cinque! Thank you so much for your very kind and helpful words of support. My first fast day is going well so far – 230cal snack around midday and a 300cal dinner planned. Started a food diary too as that’s always worked well for me in the past!

Hi again NLTS!
    I’m in Australia, so I have been sleeping while you have been busy and fasting. I bet your day is finished now, and I hope you made it! Next thing is that (hopefully) you will get that lovely feeling of waking up after a fast day, feeling lovely and light, and looking forward to a normal healthy eating day.
    Best wishes

NLTS…

I would try and get the snacks out of the house…what’s in the bread bin more than bread?

I think at the start snacks have to go…we never snack between meals, very rarely…I bake plain scones hardly any sugar..I freeze them…a treat at 50 cals per scone plus butter once or twice a week…maybe a SMALL handful of a few nuts from a container in the cupboard..if you need more get rid of them !

It would be good for the children not to snack..if eating three meals of healthy good food they would be full…they will be learning a good thing for life..

We (hubby) have one day off a week which is Friday our weigh in day, a meal out, a bit of chocolate, a glass of wine, fish and chips…could be up to 1800 cals..one day only..this is fasting and feasting way of life.

Good luck it’s hard when home with children…but lead them to a good life ahead..a few sweets won’t go a miss but maybe after dinner on an evening..

Have you down loaded..’My fitness pal’…a calorie counter App…it’s very useful.

X

Thank you, Cinque and Symba7. I had a good first FD yesterday – 630 cal and didn’t really feel deprived. I could actually have gone without dinner, especially as it was a 150cal more than I thought! Still, I’m learning and the my fitness pal app is great!

Thankfully my kids happily eat all manner of good foods – they eat 3 good meals and snack on fruit, vegetables or homemade oaty bars, with the occasional biscuit or ice cream if we’re out. The bread bin is currently empty and I don’t plan on filling it any time soon! Sandwiches are such an easy lunch but I love the challenge of coming up with something different.

Today has started well – porridge made with 40g oats and 200ml of proper, unhomogenised milk from the local farmers, and a small banana. The milk is really creamy but it fills us all up until lunchtime! Vegetable and lentil soup planned for lunch and salmon with green veg for tea!

Sounds just lovely NLTS! I’m just finishing my fast day now. Have a lovely day with your gorgeous ones!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.