Here goes!!!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sonunda 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi all, typicalbloke here.
    55 years old and sent for a works age medical last week.
    I know I have been piling on the pounds and not doing enough exercise (or non at all), but the medical was bad, nurse kept holding my wrist and checking my pulse every few minutes!
    Anyhow results Blood pressure high and Sugar in urine, oh oh.
    I had seen the programme on fasting last year but kept promising to start.
    I have tried dieting before with great success I can exercise and stick to a diet when I want do but after loosing the pounds (even stones) start piling it on again.
    In my life style I don’t drink (my wife does that for me, but then married to me, I don’t blame her). I don’t smoke, but I do like food and all the wrong food and at the wrong time.
    I can go all day with out eating (good for my fasting days) But then when I come home from work I can eat a cow, with the horns attached. The local chippy rubs his hands when I come in the shop and the local tandoori send me a yearly calendar.
    Anyhow started on Thursday last week did not have anything to eat other than a few bits of fruit.
    Started my second fasting day yesterday, and once again typical bloke, just want one meal a day at the end of the day, but keeping to fasting calorie guide (whoopie 600 for me), I thought I would go for bulk and had a baked potato and beans with some crab sticks.
    And then, oh no, the books on Fast diet had come yesterday and on reading them, after I had eaten, I SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD A BAKED POTATO (I don’t even want to look up Heinz Baked Beans)!!!!!!
    So second day of fasting over and I am going to get something to eat now, something decadent.
    I have not weighed myself or measured myself (I know typical bloke), but plan on using my measurements of success on how I feel with the clothes that I have and also on the dreaded booked doctors appointment in a few weeks time.
    Wish me luck and I will keep updating!!!
    Good luck to all of you and if there are any other typical blokes out there lets go for it together (we can have an extra 100 calories on a fast day cause we deserve it).

Good luck typicalbloke – good idea to go by clothes feeling less tight. I’m a typical woman living with a typical bloke who can eat what he likes and not put any weight on, how mean is that! Still he is encouraging me now on fast days and not plying me with extra food, now he can see the results. Keep us updated on your progress.

Ann

Does the book say you shouldn’t have a potato? Ah well – who needs books.

I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you, just focus on keeping to the calories & don’t fuss about what the calories consist of. You have to be able to stick with this long-term so if steamed fish & kale don’t appeal to you then don’t have them. You just stick with something you will actually enjoy eating (within your calorie limit). I haven’t changed anything about the consistency of my diet at all, just the calorie level on fast vs non-fastdays. It hasn’t done me any harm. I’ve a feeling I’m way over into the ‘carby’ end of the spectrum, compared to what some people here are trying to do and I’ve still had great results. I had my blood pressure checked at about the 6 month point and for a life-long high blood pressure, to be told it was now “ideal” was something special.

Good luck & keep it up – you’re doing great.

Good luck matey.
    There are more women than blokes on here and we should help and support each other, definitely.

Thank you anniew. How long have you been doing 5:2 and how are your results.
    Good to hear your typical bloke is helping (but envious of the ‘eating whatever he likes bit AND not putting on weight).
    All the best to you.

Hi TracyJ Well thanks for the support and the news on your blood pressure, that is amazing. I hope it is going to work for me.
    As for what we can eat and cant eat, for a way of eating with very few rules, there seems to be a lot of rules!!!
    Best of luck.

Hello DerbyShire Boy,
    There are probably a few more blokes about, but probably writing under a pseudonym. Probably some big hairy truck driver is writing in the forum as lillythepink!!! what do you think???
    Well no need blokes I know you read your wives diet magazines.
    Stop wearing those comfortable jogging bottoms.
    Stop using your stomach as an arm rest whilst driving.
    stop trying different ways of tying your shoes up because its uncomfortable to bend down like you used to a tie them up.
    And try this way of eating if not for the loosing weight then the health benefits.

Well thats my rant DerbyShire Boy, can you think of any others I have missed out, and come on the rest of you Forum chums see if you can think of any more, lets have a list of the things we don’t like about the way we are now.

Good Luck Derbyshire Boy

No rules whatsoever. You don’t need a book – I and many others have been doing this with no book and no support for over a year now. You just try to stick as closely as you can to the calorie limit on fastdays and within the ‘normal’ (TDEE) limit of calories on non-fastdays and you WILL see results. Don’t freak out about increasing your veg quota or worry that you’re not eating enough protein on fastdays. Just have whatever will keep you happy within that calorie limit for now. The only rules are the ones that you make for yourself once you are used to the lifestyle. In the meantime do whatever feels comfortable to get you there. You are going to be doing this, or a version of it, forever so it needs to be comfortable and doable for you. That is the MOST important thing and the ONLY real rule.

Thanks man, and good luck to you too.

Also, how about: “Stop looking for the nearest parking place, because you’re too fat to walk a bigger distance”?

Well Second fasting day went well but next morning I felt apprehensive about what I was going to eat, I was like a child in a candy shop and was wondering what to treat myself with (isn’t that weird) I had been planning so much the fast day and had no idea what to eat on a normal day, as I mentioned a normal day of eating for me is pretty mind blowing (thats how I got into this mess in the first place).
    In fact I did not eat until 13:30 which was nearly 42 hour fast.
    In the end went for a steak meal with all the trimmings (but what this, I did not really want it).
    I ate some of it and then gave the rest to our Chocolate labrador (oh no he may have to become a 5:2).
    Anyhow not feeling to hungry and ready for a normal day today and a fast day Thursday.
    Good Luck to all 5:2.

In reply to typicalbloke I think I’m doing quite well as have lost about 4lbs in about 2 weeks, due for a weigh in this weekend – been on plan since 28th August so early days. Unfortunately my very old scales made me weigh lighter than I actually was – 12st, and on new digital ones I weigh 12st 6lbs! Was nearly 13st a while back on Boots weighing machine. A bit of a blip but not too disheartened as I knew my old scales were inaccurate, but I know I’ve lost some weight as clothes are definitely looser. Onwards and upwards as they say or should it be “downwards” in our case!

Ann

Hi you may like to shop this to your partners if they have the same potential problems as I did.
    I went for a works medical and my blood pressure was high and also trace of sugar in urine.
    As you can see from my previous blog started fasting in September over two months ago.
    No problem with sticking to it (as well as celebrating my sons 18th birthday).
    Any how after works medical and the results was told to make an appointment with my doctor.
    The doctor on seeing me and taking my blood pressure, asked me if I the works medical was stressful, as my blood pressure was perfect 120/78.
    He still sent my blood samples for testing and the results are all within the healthy range.
    Unable to tell you how much weight I have lost, as did not weigh myself when I started.
    However I have gone from a very tight waist size of 34 to fitting into a size 32.
    I have just started weighing myself this month and have lost 4 lbs in the last two weeks.
    One relieved person !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done, typicalbloke!

I *am* going to show this to my Hubby, as I worry about him, so thanks!

32 waist! WOOOHOOO! What will you do now, carry on, or go for maintenance?

Aud x

My hubby started this diet to hope to avoid the problem of diabetes. Since July he has lost 12.5 Kgs and 5 inches from his waist. Thanks to him I’ve lost over 10kgs too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.