Help with diet after fasting, ankylosing spondylitis/psoriatic arthritis

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Help with diet after fasting, ankylosing spondylitis/psoriatic arthritis

This topic contains -2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ChrisASFaster 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi guys. First time poster, first time faster. I’m really hoping some folks out there can provide some guidance with regards to diet post fasting. Just a bit of background info, I’m mid-30’s and have had terrible joint pain for 13 months. Started in the spine and right now it’s focused on my hands. Knuckles and wrists are inflamed and painful, it’s been that way for a month or more. The docs want me to go on the TNFalpha and I’d like to exhaust every option before that. I spent the last 10 months on a variety of nsaids. So, fasting it is. I’m getting close to the end of day 4 of an all water fast. I stopped the nsaids cold and the inflammation in most joints has reduced by about 80% at this point. My plan is to go five full days. I listen carefully to my body so we’ll see how far I make it.

With regards to the best arthritis diet, I’ve read so much my head is spinning and I just don’t know which way to go. I’ve read all about the klebsiella connection (seems compelling, well researched, grounded in science), sugar, carbs etc. Then Dr. McDougall who suggests cutting all animal products. AIP, GAPS…

Has anyone has success coming out of a fast, essentially breaking the auto-immune response, with a particular diet? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Hi First and welcome:

There is a long history of autoimmune diseases being moderated or cured by fasting and a proper diet. It sounds like your fast so far is helping.

As you have already done a four day fast and are going for day five, I would follow Valter Longo’s diet plan. It includes instructions for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. The book where you can find it is called ‘The Longevity Diet’.

The basic plan is to do five day water fasts monthly until the condition is gone. In between, a pescetarian diet is followed – basically vegan with fish/seafood two or three times a week. No meat, no sugar or processed carbs. The basic breakdown is 60% carbs, mostly from plants, 30% fat from olive oil, nuts, etc. and 10% protein, from plants and the fish/seafood.

I suspect this may work well for you, and doubt it will harm you in any way.

Good Luck!

Hey, thanks so much for the prompt response! I was heading down a similar path but then I stumbled across this guy and what he says seems very logical. It goes against everything people say about starch though… He says no animal products at all and all starch, which is completely different than almost everyone else. Any thoughts? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ROg_jLosUQ
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/introduction/

Cheers

Hi First:

I guess I’m more of a balanced diet fan. All of one thing or another isn’t natural or sustainable in my opinion. I’m pretty sure Longo’s plan will work – he isn’t a ‘diet doctor’, he is the world’s leading researcher on aging, nutrition and fasting. The key to the plan is both the fasting and the refeeding after the fast. The combination seems to destroy the diseased autoimmune cells and replace them with healthy cells. You’ve already seen what the fasting part of the program can do. I would go with the well balanced rest of the program for a couple of months and only go to a more extreme diet if you feel the plan is not working.

But you just have to do what you think will work for you.

Good Luck!

Ok, I’ll investigate thoroughly. Thank you so much. Have a great weekend.

Dear Firsttimewaterfaster,
    I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis in 2016, HLA-B27 positive. Currently age 38. I went through over a year and a half of medications, NSAID’s and DMARD’s. I’m currently off all medications for over 8 months, managing the condition with exercise, diet and fasting. The fasting has always worked as a respite from pain, swelling and stiffness; I use a combination of daily, 16:8 intermittent fasting, 6:1 maintenance, and the occasional water fast up to 6 days in duration so far. Maintaining a good diet between fasts is very important to keep symptoms away for as long as possible. Definitely lots of veggies, fish for omega 3’s, and avoiding starch has all helped. Also avoiding over eating in the evenings has been a big factor for me, as it seems to contribute to overnight pain. Hope you’re managing well.

Here’s my story, hope it helps: http://spondylitisrecovery.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.